Sligo Forum

Under 20'S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Maggiepie:  "And then we wonder why a Galway team in 1st gear beat us by 13 points.
Everything you say in your post points to the fact that the organization of games within our County is a shambles . The gulf in class between Sligo and Galway was laid bare last Sunday and only the best type of coaching will close this. We have the Centre, let's put it to good use."
You'd certainly think we'd get used to how to deal best with playing with or against the wind from being in Scarden if nothing else.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 43 - 21/05/2019 14:17:54    2186315

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  "And then we wonder why a Galway team in 1st gear beat us by 13 points.
Everything you say in your post points to the fact that the organization of games within our County is a shambles . The gulf in class between Sligo and Galway was laid bare last Sunday and only the best type of coaching will close this. We have the Centre, let's put it to good use."
The best coaches in the country wouldn't make a difference as the clubs and county board would be pulling against them.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 203 - 21/05/2019 14:41:03    2186321

Link

Just saw that u21B and U20 Development League is on at same tonight. Both teams represented in the county panel.
What an absolute shambles again from the county board! What can possibly be their reason for this?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 69 - 22/05/2019 17:21:14    2186679

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "Just saw that u21B and U20 Development League is on at same tonight. Both teams represented in the county panel.
What an absolute shambles again from the county board! What can possibly be their reason for this?"
The U20 development league game last night was originally fixed for June 8th. Think these fixtures were published in January or February, have a relative on the panel. This was supposed to be Sligo's 3rd game in this competition. Date was changed recently at the request of U20 management, think there are lads doing the leaving cert (that's what was said anyway), well after U21B final replay was fixed. County board really shouldn't have agreed to change game to that night but if they didn't people would accuse them of not supporting the management. Not as simple as it looks.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 25 - 23/05/2019 09:27:43    2186787

Link

The u20s beat Leitrim yesterday in the Philly McGuinness cup, 13 pts to 8.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1488 - 23/05/2019 17:11:32    2186951

Link

I didn't make the game but I seen McMunn had the panel up on his Twitter page. A lot of names I've never heard of before. Big turnover of players from the 2017 minor name. I see Cummins has brought in Colm McGees backroom team from the Attracta's set up. Very interesting to see.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 203 - 23/05/2019 22:07:49    2187008

Link

I didn't make the game but I seen McMunn had the panel up on his Twitter page. A lot of names I've never heard of before. Big turnover of players from the 2017 minor name. I see Cummins has brought in Colm McGees backroom team from the Attracta's set up. Very interesting to see.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 203 - 23/05/2019 22:07:55    2187009

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "The U20 development league game last night was originally fixed for June 8th. Think these fixtures were published in January or February, have a relative on the panel. This was supposed to be Sligo's 3rd game in this competition. Date was changed recently at the request of U20 management, think there are lads doing the leaving cert (that's what was said anyway), well after U21B final replay was fixed. County board really shouldn't have agreed to change game to that night but if they didn't people would accuse them of not supporting the management. Not as simple as it looks."
Is there not enough days in the week?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 69 - 24/05/2019 08:46:56    2187046

Link

The u20s beat Fermanagh today in the Philly McGuinness cup, 4-10 to 1-13.

Anybody know who else is this tournament. I'm glad to see us in it as its better than challenge games.

Anyone know how Red Og is doing in OZ?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1488 - 29/05/2019 20:51:35    2188964

Link

In answer to my own question, challenges not allowed at this level,

We play Longford away on Saturday and win that we are in final, other group has mayo, roscommon, donegal and tyrone. Based on results so far Tyrone or mayo in final.

We play Mayo in Connacht championship in Mchale, July 3rd a wednesday, in fact all games inc final a Wednesday.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1488 - 29/05/2019 21:07:04    2188965

Link

Good win last night, a very strong looking squad and cummins has seemed to have picked lads that are going well with their clubs which is always good to see. Sligonian maybe you could answer this, I thought Towey was gone/ is going to Oz?

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 30/05/2019 08:52:20    2189006

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Good win last night, a very strong looking squad and cummins has seemed to have picked lads that are going well with their clubs which is always good to see. Sligonian maybe you could answer this, I thought Towey was gone/ is going to Oz?"
Luke had 2 week trial in April but wasn't picked up, imagine he will try combine's again when they roll around and he will keep pushing for AFL contract

Shame he didn't go back into senior panel but good to see him still playing for u20s and club

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 338 - 30/05/2019 11:31:26    2189056

Link

It has been a very solid start so far from this team. The played most of last night's game with 14 men and actually finished with 13. However Leitrim and Fermanagh would be two teams that we are expected to beat.

Towey was on trial down under a few weeks back but nothing has come from it yet. Is he good enough? He's no Red Og anyways.

Keep an eye on young Gavin Gorman in this squad. Seen him play for his club a few weeks back. Best player on the field even though his team was being well bet.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 203 - 30/05/2019 11:47:59    2189062

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "It has been a very solid start so far from this team. The played most of last night's game with 14 men and actually finished with 13. However Leitrim and Fermanagh would be two teams that we are expected to beat.

Towey was on trial down under a few weeks back but nothing has come from it yet. Is he good enough? He's no Red Og anyways.

Keep an eye on young Gavin Gorman in this squad. Seen him play for his club a few weeks back. Best player on the field even though his team was being well bet."
What was team last night do you know? Just saw panel list. Some promising lads among the

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 69 - 30/05/2019 12:52:50    2189085

Link

A. Davey (Harps) O. Conlon (Ballymote) J.Callaghan (O Gaels) E. Lyons ( S Gaels) S Murphy (Coolera) S Carroll (S Gaels) H Gilvary (Marys) B Cox (Calry) D McDermott (S Gaels) R McHugh (Easky) S Deignan ( S Gaels) C Surlis (Tour) L Towey (Molaise) P Flynn (Castleconor) G Gorman (Coolaney). Still have the likes of Karl McKenna, Conan Marren and Barry Gorman to come into that team. Great to see such a variety of clubs represented too

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 30/05/2019 18:24:22    2189190

Link

A question for ye - did we lose many by playing them with Seniors?

Ye're both right regards Luke. Looks eager to get away so not sure about his future with Sligo or the club. .

Conan Marren really impressed me at minor, hope to see him again soon in Sligo Jersey, Evan lyons reminded me of young ross donovan when i seen him last.

Other group is stronger so we should be winning this one. Hopefully can get to the final and get bigger test.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1488 - 30/05/2019 19:24:52    2189206

Link

I think the Mayo game will come too soon for Marren and Gorman as they are recovering from long term injuries. McKenna came on against Galway, that should rule him also.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 203 - 30/05/2019 20:29:17    2189220

Link

Marren has shown great potential was around nuig sigs panel this year too which is good to see. Evan Lyons also, did a great job on marren in the intermediate final and replay. Technically I think that just rules McKenna out of u20 championship not this tournament but no point in playing him if he cannot play champo. Are the lads that played junior championship still okay to play u20 championship?

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 31/05/2019 08:50:39    2189301

Link

Jesus as far as I knew Towey Has sparked a lot of interest down under... be a shame to lose him. And yes I agree pity he didn't go back into seniors but good to see him playing age group

SligoGaa12 (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 31/05/2019 13:24:17    2189396

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "It has been a very solid start so far from this team. The played most of last night's game with 14 men and actually finished with 13. However Leitrim and Fermanagh would be two teams that we are expected to beat.

Keep an eye on young Gavin Gorman in this squad. Seen him play for his club a few weeks back. Best player on the field even though his team was being well bet."
Pointman, is Towey good enough? Have you seen the lad play? Started for DCU sigs this year in his second year at wing forward, played a good bit of league with sligo seniors and probably one of our best young prospects behind red Og. You're probably right about him being no red Og as he is one of a kind, but Jesus he's an outstanding footballe and a pretty silly question by yourself as you must not of ever seen the lad play.

Sligonian, is he keen to head off ? Is that the word?

SligoGaa12 (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 31/05/2019 13:34:05    2189400

Link