Down Forum

CELTIC CHALLENGE - DOWN U17 HURLERS

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Maybe u should get involved urself john101

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 217 - 05/08/2018 12:34:15    2129318

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Maybe u should get involved urself john101"
Maybe you should stop wasting everyone's time by posing silly questions crannnumber2? I pointed out a fact regarding the squads preparation for the B championship!

john101 (Down) - Posts: 91 - 05/08/2018 15:27:56    2129386

Link

Ok maybe u should help them prepare then is that better

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 217 - 05/08/2018 15:48:51    2129396

Link

Have these new mangers from bredagh any clue on where players actually play on this team? From the first game the team has been everywhere.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 147 - 16/04/2019 21:45:58    2179203

Link

5 scores to 15 scores tells a tale.

What are we developing again?

Lads will get better coaching at their clubs.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2272 - 17/04/2019 10:26:14    2179249

Link

Who are these breadagh men who take this team

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 217 - 17/04/2019 19:06:42    2179343

Link

Players' Feedback from 2018:

The development of the players - not just as players but as people - is central to this competition and a review of the 2018 Bank of Ireland Celtic Challenge was conducted with 295 Players. Players were asked to give their views on the benefits of the competition and the top five reasons provided were:

Playing competitive games of hurling on a regular basis = 21%
Playing against different teams than they would normally play against = 13%
The friendships they made and fun they had as part of a team (less pressure) = 13%
The O'Neill's jerseys and getting to keep these = 10%
The higher quality of hurling and Coaching than they might have at Club/School level =9%

Only 9% of players felt they were getting better coaching than they might have at club/school level...

Is that not a telling statistic?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2272 - 26/04/2019 08:37:54    2180331

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Players' Feedback from 2018:

The development of the players - not just as players but as people - is central to this competition and a review of the 2018 Bank of Ireland Celtic Challenge was conducted with 295 Players. Players were asked to give their views on the benefits of the competition and the top five reasons provided were:

Playing competitive games of hurling on a regular basis = 21%
Playing against different teams than they would normally play against = 13%
The friendships they made and fun they had as part of a team (less pressure) = 13%
The O'Neill's jerseys and getting to keep these = 10%
The higher quality of hurling and Coaching than they might have at Club/School level =9%

Only 9% of players felt they were getting better coaching than they might have at club/school level...

Is that not a telling statistic?"
I probably should simply bite my tongue again but what you have posted there is distorting the truth and effectively a lie simply to continue to push your agenda of consistently seeking to undermine development squads and county structures in general hence it needs challenged.

The question is asking lads to name the main benefit of playing in Celtic Challenge.....unsurprisingly playing games was listed by over a third of the respondents ACROSS THE WHOLE country.....9% of lads from every county whether Cork, Tipp, Dublin or Down listed the better coaching, reality is that games and gear will be most lads focus at this age group as opposed to coaching so results aren't surprising......are you suggesting Bricktop that the coaching in development squads is rubbish in Galway, Wexford etc as the results of the survey are across the country and not just Down......stop twisting facts to suit your own agenda.

The lads here are u17 and are simply learning their trade, getting games at inter county level is good for them and their development as they get 5/6 games guaranteed which is about three times what they used to get in the old Ulster set up......you can all moan about development squad coaches and what they should/shouldn't do but they are amateurs giving up their time voluntarily , if you could/can do better than put your name forward to help instead of being a coward undermining Down hurling by spouting [email protected] under a false name on the Internet.....

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 646 - 26/04/2019 12:17:28    2180376

Link

I would have to agree with Paudie here, some great work done by our development squad coaches and Celtic Challenge teams in recent years.

I wish some people on here would stop using this platform to whinge and actually put their name forward to support the Emerging Talent structures. Down could defiently do with some more coaches from our 3 senior clubs. A lot of developing squad work at moment is done by coaches from Junior / intermediate clubs who have an small number of coaches to start with.

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 168 - 26/04/2019 13:06:45    2180393

Link

Replying To dingle82:  "I would have to agree with Paudie here, some great work done by our development squad coaches and Celtic Challenge teams in recent years.

I wish some people on here would stop using this platform to whinge and actually put their name forward to support the Emerging Talent structures. Down could defiently do with some more coaches from our 3 senior clubs. A lot of developing squad work at moment is done by coaches from Junior / intermediate clubs who have an small number of coaches to start with."
fish fish fish there Paudie :-) Glad to see you back online, See in Mckenna in a few weeks time.

Dingle,
Do you think the Ards clubs are coming down with coaches with little or nothing to do?

We struggle to fulfil roles as well but we don't pay anyone outside the clubs to coach like a lot of other teams.

IIRC the U14/U15 development squads have loads of Ards coaches involved. they weren't wanted at U17 and U20.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2272 - 26/04/2019 16:06:26    2180436

Link

Not Celtic challenge related but this u17 team where thrashed 2-26 2-6 yesterday against Meath and now take on Carlow next who beat Meath easily enough in the Leinster league. Are we entering a team too high in the Leinster league? What will be the benefits from it getting thrashed? I know they're getting games against good teams but is it worth it travelling to abbotstown with a team who the 2 managers don't even pick? Hearing that two players on the team pick a team and give it to the managers...

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 147 - 05/05/2019 10:26:11    2181911

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Not Celtic challenge related but this u17 team where thrashed 2-26 2-6 yesterday against Meath and now take on Carlow next who beat Meath easily enough in the Leinster league. Are we entering a team too high in the Leinster league? What will be the benefits from it getting thrashed? I know they're getting games against good teams but is it worth it travelling to abbotstown with a team who the 2 managers don't even pick? Hearing that two players on the team pick a team and give it to the managers..."
And this 22 point defeat the day after the manager is in the paper saying Down will have to much hurling for Meath! Who actually appoints these managers? Like is it an applied for position or are these people approached? If so by whom & based on what?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 119 - 07/05/2019 00:04:15    2182212

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "And this 22 point defeat the day after the manager is in the paper saying Down will have to much hurling for Meath! Who actually appoints these managers? Like is it an applied for position or are these people approached? If so by whom & based on what?"
Lift the phone and tell Sean O'g you want the job and it's yours.

Anyone who doesn't know that both Meath and Carlow are doing far more work at underage than us doesn't know one end of a hurl from the other.

Take a look at the U16 club leagues for a start. The disparity is astounding.

I'm being told that the P4 and P6 Go games started again in the Red High with the same teams turning up and the same clubs not bothering even though it's on their doorstep.
If the net isn't spread wide and far at these age groups then we'll still end up with the small pool of players at U17 and Adult.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2272 - 09/05/2019 09:57:50    2182659

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Not Celtic challenge related but this u17 team where thrashed 2-26 2-6 yesterday against Meath and now take on Carlow next who beat Meath easily enough in the Leinster league. Are we entering a team too high in the Leinster league? What will be the benefits from it getting thrashed? I know they're getting games against good teams but is it worth it travelling to abbotstown with a team who the 2 managers don't even pick? Hearing that two players on the team pick a team and give it to the managers..."
Do the not do that at senior level.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 176 - 10/05/2019 07:26:02    2182863

Link

Leinster is a bridge too far for this Down outfit! It's my understanding that the county board were made aware of this and advised to pull the team out of the Leinster championship! The results speak for themselves!!
what coaching is actually being done with this group of lads?? From a county perspective?? The lads don't train at all as a team and basically turn up on a Saturday/Sunday to play the matches!

Think you're wrong regarding the players picking the team! From what I can gather the captain, vice captain are asked to contribute! Which should be the case considering they are the guys on the pitch getting ten bells knocked out of them!

Maybe Down hurling just has to except the fact that it's not producing enough quality hurlers! And if that is the case then the buck stops with the clubs, not with who is in charge at county when the lads reach 16/17 years of age!

john101 (Down) - Posts: 91 - 11/05/2019 18:11:06    2183117

Link

Last post didn't get through somehow.

Point 1. The Buck stops with the clubs.
Have a look at the one sided nature of the club leagues and that tells you all you need to know. Ports have a decent U16 team at best and are walloping everyone, so much so Bredagh got regraded mid season (should not have happened) and they in turn are hammering teams in Div2 (or South as not to offend anyone) .
Clubs (n the ards in particular) are really dependent on numbers, good numbers at a certain age normally transfers into good teams. The same can be said for most rural clubs in general throughout the county. Portaferry have a much larger population and should be there or thereabouts every year, BUT Bredagh, Carryduff have huge populations but are very hit and miss with their teams. Bredagh have a good minor team, U16's I've touched on, U14's are decent. Carryduff don't field at minor on their own, U16's are the same, U14's play in Div2 after getting regraded from Div1.
Outside that it's even more hit and miss. Large clubs like Newry, Warrenpoint, Clonduff, Liatroim (O'Rahillys) don't offer anything on a consistent basis and bring me back to a point I make on here consistently.

If you're not putting the effort in a U8/U10 or U12, how do expect to be competitive at the later age groups.

See who's attending the intercounty blitzes in Downpatrick and get back to me,

Point 2. Development Squads.
They've been on the go now for 10 odd years or so in my estimation. Where are the fruits of those labours? Do we need to reassess their potential to deliver what we need or are we blindly following a model aped from other counties and sports (Gaelic Football) which doesn't suit our needs?

Point 3. Coaching & Development
Any of the real success stories in Coaching & Development point to the link between schools and clubs to improve the links. I think we've one lad doing the primary school rounds so at best he gets to a primary school once a week and maybe 7 or 8 at best, they play very few games, the odd one day blitz attended by the usual suspects and hence the net isn't being spread far enough to get the young playing population big enough to properly drive improvements. We've an Ulster Council GDO I think, but nobody's heard much about him, he's in hiding or maybe its a way of supplementing him for his involvement in Down Football Development squads. Either way, running a foundation or Level 1 course every blue moon isn't enough. We need and should demand more from the Ulster Council.

Positives.
The juvenile club fixtures have improved. if only clubs wouldn't be so quick to regrade after a bad defeat or two,
Clubs have been proactive in organising blitzes and getting their teams games in other counties.
We've a young county team and they'll learn but don't be expecting miracles any time soon.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2272 - 14/05/2019 13:49:57    2183977

Link