Fermanagh Forum

Club Eirne

(Oldest Posts First)

Club Eirne has launched a fresh appeal to try to enlist 60 new recruits.
The official fundraising arm affiliated to Fermanagh County Board, Club Eirne are promoting 'Seeking Sixty' in order to recruit sixty new members in time for the county committee Annual General Meeting in mid-December. That would add to the 200 that have already signed up.
How much more money is really needed and are such funds spent fruitfully? Money is coming from everywhere and yet the GAA need more!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what others have said about the uses of such monies…

1. There is nobody who could begrudge the county panel a holiday abroad given the effort,time and commitment they are putting into the fundraiser event,combined with the effort they are going to put in over next 12 months, lets hope it pays off with success on the field
macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts:720 - 13/11/2012 20:48:18 1297311

2. I agree county teams need to be prepared properly but it would cost about £100,000 to sent the current co panel to say la manga for a week if you include travel meals, training, travel expenses, covering cost of people getting off work etc. Now I ask is this a good use of money particuarily in the current climate
What could the county board do with £100,000? Well they could:
* Pay all club affiliation fees for two years
*Run all county development squads for 3 or 4 years
*Train equip and pay the expenses of all referees in the county for 6 years
*Develop a proper county office in Brewster Park
*Employ another football or hurling coach for 5 years
or send the senior squad on a weeks holiday to the sun!
gaeelforce15 (Fermanagh) - Posts:24 - 14/11/2012 18:33:36 1297816

3. The Fermanagh Gravy Train
Well that statement certainly applies to the Fermanagh county brigade too with many concerned about the so called 'gravy train' while the clubs are starved of support never mind leaving senior club teams to play without their best players all too often.
Many would be shocked if knew the actual cost of running the county bandwagon but such information is cleverly presented or should I say miss represented in order to pull the wool over the eyes of the GAA clubs of Fermanagh.
1. Let's start with the mileage claims and any club player can tell what their county player teammates are getting paid yet many of them travel together to their county training!
2. Costly high end food supplements are supplied to every player.
3. Sports gear and a treble set of football boots supplied annual pair squad member.
4. Regular hotel accommodation and meals for the manager as and when required throughout the season.
5. Coach hire went needed.
6. Quite a number of backroom staff including therapists of various kinds.
7. Costly medical provision including private hospital operations..
8. Legal and media advisers.
9. Weekends getaways,
I'm not sure what the answer is to the gravy train and how to sensibly fund it but no doubt they will be many that want to turn a blind eye!"
YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts:693 - 27/07/2016 19:02:22

4 How many of our club players in Fermanagh actually live within their club boundaries anymore? More and more players are moving to Belfast, Dublin and further afield for work and university. What is the GAA doing to help clubs persuade their players to commit year on year.
This year has seen a lot of junior teams forfeiting, how long will it be before senior clubs in Fermanagh are doing this? Again, everyone wants to see the county team doing well and there are costs to this, but without the club player the game will be extinct. Couldn't agree more that this deal has created an even wider gap within our games!!!
sidelinecut40 (Fermanagh) - Posts:69 - 28/07/2016 10:22:01

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 950 - 06/10/2016 23:08:14    1923561

Link

Fascinating Graphic Shows How Most Of The GAA's Development Money Goes To Dublin and Fermanagh next!

Link: https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin/348120

GAA investment in Dublin is the subject of an article by Irish journalist Ewan MacKenna, in today's Times Ireland Edition. He calls the GAA's investing in Games Development in Dublin is a case of 'financial doping': He's [Pauric Duffy] overseen the biggest case of doping in modern Irish sport. The financial doping that destroyed Leinster and is now destroying our greatest tournament.
"By now we know the figures. Last year after a long and similar trend the GAA handed over €1,460,400 to the capital in a games development grant, more than any province combined with only one other county getting even six figures. That is before the €1 million a year special grant given over via the taxpayer and the Irish Sports Council. That is before we get to the fact that their population not only means a player base that dwarfs all others, but it also means a market that allows its sponsorship to dwarf all others".
Subsequent to the publishing of this article, Shane Mangan has tweeted a number of fascinating graphics which put the Dublin investment in stark relation to the level of investment in other counties. Shane calculated how much in € was invested per player in each county by the GAA, under the umbrella of their 'Games Development'. He calculated the investment per registered player in each county from 2015. Firstly, here are the figures for Players Registered in each county: (see graphics in above link) its shows the amount of € invested in Games Development per registered player per county with the investment per player in Dublin is €274.70 who have 39,197 registered players. The next nearest is €68.17, in Fermanagh (3,514 players). Third is Longford, at €62.30 (4,447 players). Beaten All-Ireland finalists Mayo (10,635 players) have received €22.30. Kerry (14,752 players) got €19 per player, while Donegal (13,762 players) pulled in €20.10 per player and Tyrone (10,503 players got just €21.0 per player.
The question I would ask with the Club Eirne's contribution of say a £100k if averaged out across the 3,514 players (although this doesn't happen as it is only targeted at the senior county squad) would mean €96.63 per player! Are we getting value for money? Does Fermanagh even need the money as so far not even an Ulster title to show for all their efforts!! My suggestion is for them to find the right selectors to recruit the best players and make sure to keep them available! Just my view but I guess many would agree with me.

The_Rat (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 10/10/2016 01:01:22    1924347

Link

Replying To The_Rat:  "Fascinating Graphic Shows How Most Of The GAA's Development Money Goes To Dublin and Fermanagh next!

Link: https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin/348120

GAA investment in Dublin is the subject of an article by Irish journalist Ewan MacKenna, in today's Times Ireland Edition. He calls the GAA's investing in Games Development in Dublin is a case of 'financial doping': He's [Pauric Duffy
overseen the biggest case of doping in modern Irish sport. The financial doping that destroyed Leinster and is now destroying our greatest tournament.
"By now we know the figures. Last year after a long and similar trend the GAA handed over €1,460,400 to the capital in a games development grant, more than any province combined with only one other county getting even six figures. That is before the €1 million a year special grant given over via the taxpayer and the Irish Sports Council. That is before we get to the fact that their population not only means a player base that dwarfs all others, but it also means a market that allows its sponsorship to dwarf all others".
Subsequent to the publishing of this article, Shane Mangan has tweeted a number of fascinating graphics which put the Dublin investment in stark relation to the level of investment in other counties. Shane calculated how much in € was invested per player in each county by the GAA, under the umbrella of their 'Games Development'. He calculated the investment per registered player in each county from 2015. Firstly, here are the figures for Players Registered in each county: (see graphics in above link) its shows the amount of € invested in Games Development per registered player per county with the investment per player in Dublin is €274.70 who have 39,197 registered players. The next nearest is €68.17, in Fermanagh (3,514 players). Third is Longford, at €62.30 (4,447 players). Beaten All-Ireland finalists Mayo (10,635 players) have received €22.30. Kerry (14,752 players) got €19 per player, while Donegal (13,762 players) pulled in €20.10 per player and Tyrone (10,503 players got just €21.0 per player.
The question I would ask with the Club Eirne's contribution of say a £100k if averaged out across the 3,514 players (although this doesn't happen as it is only targeted at the senior county squad) would mean €96.63 per player! Are we getting value for money? Does Fermanagh even need the money as so far not even an Ulster title to show for all their efforts!! My suggestion is for them to find the right selectors to recruit the best players and make sure to keep them available! Just my view but I guess many would agree with me."]What players are the selectors missing?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 10/10/2016 10:44:51    1924409

Link

These figures should be examined under operational efficiency and consideratio given to economies of scale.
Let me explain in a very simple example how the figures presented might be deceiving. (The figures below are made up for the demonstration of the example)

Example:
There are 2 counties, A & B, providing coaching to their 20 schools. Both counties carry out the same scope of work and need 4 coaches to cover the 20 schools. The coaches have similar travel to each school and they need the same time to carry out each coaching session.

In County A, I have 20 schools and 4 school coaches.
Each school has 30 pupils for coaching. Therefore the coaches between them cater for 600 school children.
Each coach is paid £20,000 - total wages are £80,000. This averages at £133.33 per child

In County B, I have 20 schools and 4 school coaches.
Each school has 40 pupils for coaching. Therefore the coaches between them cater for 800 school children.
Each coach is paid £20,000 - total wages are £80,000. This averages at £100.00 per child

Conclusion: The county with the smaller number of pupils has higher costs per head.

My point is you cannot look at the figures in these simple terms to appreciate if value for money is being delivered.

Nontheism (Fermanagh) - Posts: 95 - 10/10/2016 11:05:53    1924422

Link