Fermanagh Forum

Dr McKenna Competition

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A poor performance last night in Inniskeen,on a night when very few players laid down a marker to be on starting 15 for league and championship. Would have to agree with Gola when he says surely Canavan should have gave the new younger players game time against St Marys rather than throwing them in last night, however that doesnt excuse the bad level of performances given. But then there is the argument that thats what the McKenna is for,finding are players up for inter-county and better to learn now than later in the year if some arent up to standard. Of the new players Breen probably was the best but taking account of others it wasnt a great accolade,think Hyde showed potential glimpses also. Paul Ward continued top show he is in fine form carrying our only scoring threat once agian,however Sunday again Tyrone will test his ability to do it under pressure more. I dont understand why Canavan continues to name Kane Connor at 15, he is not a scoring threat,Tommy Mc Elroy hasnt rediscovered the form of 2008 since his injuries plus it pains me to say McGrath is looking a player in decline.

Would be bit worried about the amount of men we have behind the ball as when players in half back line have possession there is no options,so we end up slowing the ball down too much. I would prefer we play a quick tactic of kicking the ball direct more often into the forward line...sadly we dont have many physical options at full forward but still can play diagonal balls or low ones into our forwards which as just as effective. Our forwards ability to take long range scores continues to hinder us,if Peter the Great cant coach this I dont know who can

Hardasnails...so you dont respect Fermanagh people,well I can tell you the fact that you had to get a good Fermanagh man to take your senior team doesnt say much for GAA knowledge within your own county at present. I know the Anglo-Celt continues to be beyond us but this coming from a county whos last ulster success was 1985..hardly yesterday,sure Dennis Taylor was world snooker champ and first mobile phone call was made in UK..different lifetime ago kid.
Also you will find Fermanaghs team was far from strong as you claim and Monaghan had Finlay,both Hughes bros,Dick Clerkin on so wasnt exactly second string
Anyway as long as we beat Monaghan on March 9th when it matters I wont mind!!

On to sunday at the Athletic grounds,lucky to have an extra game,which should stand to us come start of the league..lets hope we test Tyrone more than in last years semi final

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 864 - 17/01/2013 21:14:03    1319955

Link

Monaghan last won the Anglo Celt in 1988 not 1985 and Darren Hughes and Paul Finlay were only introduced in the second half and Kieran Hughes is not a guranteed starter.

Hardasnails (Monaghan) - Posts: 288 - 18/01/2013 10:59:55    1320060

Link

Macca are you for for real? Just because someone wears number 15 on their back doesn't mean they have to play as a corner forward. Iosa Chriost

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4968 - 18/01/2013 11:55:25    1320109

Link

Still they were on the field and both had an impact on Monaghan pulling away in second half. You said Fermanagh were strong well we had many missing, Barry Owens,Ryan Mc Cluskey,John Woods,Conor Quigley,Daniel Kille,Eamon Maguire, Daryl Keenan and Shane McCabe to name a few so dont be totally slating Fermanagh on that poor team display....No response to my comment regarding Malachy O Rourke,perhaps once he does a good job(which he will) you will change you disrespectful attitude towards Fermanagh GAA.

Got Milk..i am not that naive to think players play according to their numbers in current GAA but Connor is not even a natural scoring threat,even at half forward he wont offer scores and watching our current tactics we seem to have enough players doing the deep behind the ball role...its experiment but hope doesnt continue when league starts.

Tyrone have named a strong team for sunday,I am sure Canavan will try do likewise....any idea if Conor Quigley be back for start of league

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 864 - 18/01/2013 12:13:56    1320123

Link

Macca i wasn't at the game the other night but I was at the first 2 games. Connors managed 3 points from play in the 2 halfs of football he played. I would consider him one of the better players. He had a hand in the 2 goals against St. Marys. Were you at the Donegal or St Marys game?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4968 - 18/01/2013 13:17:08    1320173

Link

Malachy O'Rourke got his football knowledge when he was playing with Errigan Ciarran.

Hardasnails (Monaghan) - Posts: 288 - 18/01/2013 13:48:06    1320216

Link

How do you know he got his football knowledge playing with errigal ciaran? Hardasnails did ya go out with a Fermanagh girl and she broke your heart or why are u so bitter towards Fermanagh.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1819 - 18/01/2013 14:11:23    1320236

Link

Got Milk...i am well aware Kane Connor scored 3 points as I have been at all games to date,but ya have to accept he has been taking off in all 3 matches to do,so he hasnt been doing enough...i think his most effective position will be at wing back,where he was introduced last year. Would you not prefer a more attacking threat in that area.

ha yeah shaggylegend something has happened hardasnails to bring out the spiteful streak

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 864 - 18/01/2013 15:03:13    1320310

Link

Macca at the end of the day this is the mckenna cup. It is being used to asses players. Kane Connors played much well in the 2 games I seen. He did offer an attacking threat, scored from play, had a hand in both goals against St Marys. He offered more of an attacking threat than Mcelroy. Connors is being asked to drop deep and play a running game and get up and down the pitch. He has been playing well. I think you are reading to much into what number a player wears on his back. You are also reading to much into the getting taken off at half time. First day out clucker had a stinker and played the whole game. Much better against St Marys taken off at half time.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4968 - 18/01/2013 17:45:31    1320442

Link

McKenna Cup - Semi Final
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Comment
Monaghan Down Athletic Grounds, Armagh 20/01/2013 14:00 Noel Mooney - Too close to call but Monaghan weren't that great on Wedfnesday night
Tyrone Fermanagh Athletic Grounds, Armagh 20/01/2013 15:45 Padraig Hughes - Hopefully, the Fermanagh team will put up a respectable performance against the so called Sam winners of yesteryear (so long now that most have forgotten!)

Advice: The route to Armagh may be slippery tomorrow, so be prepared to give the so called tandem men, macca999 and his co-pilot, the GalloonBaffoon a wide berth!

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1383 - 19/01/2013 11:41:30    1320550

Link

Tyrone Fermanagh Athletic Grounds, Armagh 20/01/2013 15:45 Padraig Hughes - Hopefully, the Fermanagh team will put up a respectable performance against the so called Sam winners of yesteryear (so long now that most have forgotten!)

So Called Sam Winners !!! maybe you should check the stats 2003 all ireland winners Tyrone 2005 all ireland winners Tyrone 2008 All ireland winners Tyrone
remind me again when was fermanaghs last Sam win?

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 313 - 19/01/2013 12:21:03    1320559

Link

rahillyman the question you should be asking yourself is when will the Tyrone seniors ever win another All Ireland title? Donegal put yous to shame and that says more about Tyrone's future than anything else. Stick to your history chapter of the last decade as it will be a while before yous have another to add.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 950 - 19/01/2013 13:28:52    1320570

Link

No idea how any Fermanagh man can even attempt to slag Tyrone and there success!

Love_Leckers (Fermanagh) - Posts: 342 - 19/01/2013 13:59:21    1320578

Link

rahillyman the question you should be asking yourself is when will the Tyrone seniors ever win another All Ireland title? Donegal put yous to shame and that says more about Tyrone's future than anything else. Stick to your history chapter of the last decade as it will be a while before yous have another to add.

I have no worries about the future and when we will win another one i would have thought Fermanagh people should be more concerned with there own fortunes than worrying about their successful neighbours. Sure didnt we send you our best to try and help yous out !!!!

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 313 - 19/01/2013 14:58:00    1320583

Link

McKenna Cup - Semi Final
Team 1 Score 1 Score 2 Team 2 Comment
Down 0-13 1-12 Monaghan
Tyrone 2-09 0-07 Fermanagh

Starting Fermanagh team:
Snow,McCluskey,Lyons,Woods,O'Brien,Cox,McCusker,Sherry,Jones,McElroy,McCabe,Donnelly,Ward,Keenan,Connor

Starting Tyrone team:
Devine,McCrory,McCarron,Gormley,Clarke,McMahon, McKenna, Kane,Cavanagh,Gallagher,Penrose,Lafferty,McCurry, O 'Neill, McAliskey

Impartial Reporter Twitter Report:
• The snow is falling as we're about to get underway here at the Athletic Grounds
• Tyrone open the scoring with a point from Penrose
• Keenan levels things with a point from play
• Cavanagh taps over a close in free to make it 0-2 to 0-1 in Tyrone's favour after 11 mins
• Ward has a chance to level things upagain but drops a poor shot short
• A foul on O'Brien sees Keenan knock over to make it 0-2 apiece
• Gallagher point for Tyrone who edge in not again. Its been a low key affair so far
• Sean Quigley comes on for Kane Connor with 27 mins gone
• Keenan knocks over a free to leave one between them 0-4 to 0-3
• Fine point from the right from Cavanagh makes it a two point game again in Tyrone's favour
• Goal Tyrone, flowing move finished off by Plunket Kane 1-5 0-3
• Half time at a snowy Athletics Ground and Tyrone ahead 1-5 to 0-3
• Interval: The Newtown tandem men who arrived late, get a cheer in the stand!
• Peter Harte replaces McCurry in Tyrone side
• Second half gets underway at Athletic Grounds
• Ward converts a free as Fermanagh make a bright start to second half
• McAliskey opens Tyrone account for the second half with a good point 1-6 to 0-4
• Tyrone move six ahead as Harte taps over a free 1-7 to 0-4
• And Cavanagh powers forward to fire over after Fermanagh gave away possession in attack 1-8 to 0-4
• Damian Kelly replaces O'Brien
• Fermanagh have missed a couple of scoring chances as Tyrone continue to lead 1-8 to 0-4
• Tyrone substitution Justin McMahon for Conor Gormley
• Keenan lofts over a free following a foul on Ward 1-8 to 0-5
• Tomas Corrigan and Marty McGrath on for McElroy and Sherry
• Sean Quigley fists over for Fermanagh
• Seven to go here and Tyrone lead 1-8 to 0-6
• Keenan tags on another point for Canavan's side to leave four in it 1-8 to 0-7
And that was the last action. It finishes here 2-9 to 0-7 to Tyrone
• Cavanagh lands a free in response for Tyrone 1-9 to 0-7
• Mark Donnelly bags a second Tyrone goal deep in added on time. Harsh on Fermanagh
• And that was the last action. It finishes here 2-9 to 0-7 to Tyrone

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1383 - 20/01/2013 18:16:17    1320886

Link

Another Tyrone victory over Fermanagh in the Mc Kenna cup,defeat was expected but the manner of performance was very worrying with the league opener against Wickow imminent. McKenna cup is for fitness and finding new talent so its not a priority to win. However Very few players would be happy today how they played with numerous handling errors, bar the backline where Lyons and Woods dealt admirably with the constant ball that was getting supplied to their markers.

Our achilles heel is definitely in the forward line but the frustrating thing is we are contributing hugely to our own downfall by playing pass the parcel with the ball from out 40 up to the half forward line where we inevitably lose the ball 9 times out of 10. I dont know whether Canavan has told the players to play this tactic,similar to Donegal(who attack in numbers,with handpassing at speed to the runner in best position)or its just natural as we have tried it for years with very little success but it isnt working. Firstly we are too slow at moving the ball, then our movement is very poor meaning we move the ball backwards/sideways with 5 players in a cluster going nowhere near scoring positions. Players are all running to the ball rather then running forward into space to give the player in possession an option. Its very frustrating to watch and I am sure the player or two in full forward line are getting annoyed with it. On too many occasions we have only two forwards in opposition territory so we our reducing our scoring threat through our own tactics
I know we havnt a great selection of physicality in the full forward line but surely we have to change our approach play and try go more direct and speed they attacks up. Kickpassing,spatial awareness and movement are 3 things needed to be worked on to before league to get our scoring tallys up.
Even try Marty Mc Grath at full forward as a target man to support Ward.

Least we have two weeks to build on things for the league plus we have Barry Owens,Conor Quigley, Daniel Kille and Eamon Maguire to come into the team which can only improve us. Alot to work on before big game in Wickow but if we can decrease the handpassing i think we can get better.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 864 - 20/01/2013 19:05:17    1320907

Link

Just back from game today - Brutal - 13 behind the ball again and only 7 points for the second game in a row!!! Going to be hard to watch this year. Can't blame the forwards for not scoring as we don't play with any!! Is this what football has been reduced to. The team should go out to win and not play with the mindset of avoiding defeat

gaeelforce15 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 24 - 20/01/2013 19:42:28    1320938

Link

macca999/GalloonBaffoon/or whatever his name is today says:
"Another Tyrone victory over Fermanagh in the Mc Kenna cup,defeat was expected but the manner of performance was very worrying with the league opener against Wickow imminent. McKenna cup is for fitness and finding new talent so its not a priority to win...Our forwards ability to take long range scores continues to hinder us,if Peter the Great cant coach this I dont know who can...Kickpassing,spatial awareness and movement are 3 things needed to be worked on to before league to get our scoring tallys up"

The tandem man tells us that the McKenna Cup exercise is for 'fitness' and 'finding new talent' and 'not a priority to win'? What pathetic excuses to save face for O'Neill's failed replacement!

Then the tandem man goes on to try and convince us that if Peter the Great cant coach our forwards to score he doesn't know who can? And this is the great manager we are made to believe that's better than O'Neill?

And finally, he quotes from a sports-science web site "Kickpassing, spatial awareness and movement are 3 things needed to be worked on" ... maybe macca/baffoon should become Peter's 2nd in command? The only spatial awareness around yesterday was when the Impartial Reporter reportered the late arrival of yourself and the baffoon!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 21/01/2013 20:37:08    1321507

Link

Yesterdays man last time I checked O'Neil didn't make it out of the group stages of the Mckenna cup...something that Canavan managed twice.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4968 - 22/01/2013 18:21:16    1321939

Link