Fermanagh Forum

Refereeing

(Oldest Posts First)

Given the work and time that players put into their performance, can the same be said for referees?
When you look at some of the referees, they're hardly the peak of physical fitness.

I recently overheard a referee in a senior club game APOLOGISING for giving a free against him when the player questioned it with the usual "what the hell was that for?!" Is this the best we have to offer?

My only hope would be that St Pats do beat Skea tonight so that the best referee in the county Martin Higgins gets the final.

howshecuttin08 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 207 - 07/09/2012 14:58:33    1261651

Link

i wouldnt agree that martin higgens is the best reffere in the county but he is up there among the best i would have eugune mcdonagh as a very fair ref lets the game flow

squareball2 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 191 - 07/09/2012 15:40:57    1261701

Link

In terms or refereeing i think everyone is of the same opinion that we have a mixed bag here in fermanagh. We have three tiers of referees in fermanagh.

In tier 3 we have referees that are unfit, unconsistant and at times unfamilar with the rules. These refs need to be removed.

In the middle tier we have referees that seem to hold personnel grudges against certain teams and this can be seen in their attitude to games. These refs will not talk to players that leads to frustration as at times they are unsure at to what frees are being given for.

In the top tier and this is reserved for maybe only 2-3 referees in the county. These are the refs that will use their common sense allow games to flow and talk to players in a professional manner.

But we can all agree that refs make mistakes and at times can have a bearing on the result of a game. But realistically it is normally a get out clause to blame the referee. Any club that gets beaten will be able to pick out throughout the games, several mis-placed passes, missed tackles and poor shooting but on most occassions everyone concentrates on a few bad calls on the referees part.

In my opinion it should be only one of two referees in the final. Eugene mc Donagh or Niall Cullen. Both referees have shown a good level of consistancy this year and both have gained respect from players/managers alike.

Refereeing in Fermanagh would come on leaps and bounds if we could weed out the poor quality refs, if teams would accept responsibility of the losing of games and

fellowgael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 52 - 10/09/2012 09:53:59    1262888

Link

i agree with most of what you have said fellowgael, but its up to each club to put forward people who they feel may be an addition to refereeing, so i think questions should be asked of these clubs as to why they put forward such poor quality referee's, each club should know how much knowledge the person they put forward has of the game

the.onion.bag (UK) - Posts: 7 - 10/09/2012 10:12:03    1262913

Link

In response the reason clubs put these people forward is that they have an obligation to have a referee from their clubs. It is back to the age old problem in the gaa and this can be see with underage management also. Regardless of quality/experience if someone is prepared to do the job the clubs will put them forward.

fellowgael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 52 - 10/09/2012 16:50:19    1263432

Link

Who are you fooling wincing about refereeing? These messages are being posted by one and the same person in a similar manner to macca999 and has a chip on their shoulder about decision-making by game official. Considering this, most will make up their mind that this poster is being biased and doesn't reflect the general view held about game officiating. May advice is to ignore.

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 228 - 10/09/2012 18:08:50    1263526

Link

fellowgael your argument about refereeing doesnt stand up, on one hand your giving out about the standard of refereeing while giving clubs credit for putting these poor ref's forward.

the.onion.bag (UK) - Posts: 7 - 10/09/2012 18:20:10    1263537

Link

There are many clubs and people express concern about the standards of refereeing in this county. Again the new co board should take on board the matter and see how best to improve the stand or refereeing retiring some of the older ones and introducing more training programmes for referees.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 745 - 06/12/2012 17:28:42    1307394

Link

There will be a lot of sideline bans in Fermanagh club football if it is implemented here!!!

Derogatory comments will now be dealt with...

Paraic Duffy says disciplinary committees are "far more likely" to enforce the GAA's new ruling regarding derogatory comments from managers.

As of next year, team officials who "make derogatory comments in relation to a match official before a game or in interviews subsequent to a game" will be issued with a sideline ban. According to Duffy, this is a more modest sanction than the one it supersedes and, as such, is more likely to be applied:

"It's been a feeling for a long time that disciplinary committees are very reluctant to address the issue of derogatory comments because under match regulations the punishment is dealt with under the rule on 'discrediting the association' and the minimum penalty is eight weeks," said the director-general in The Irish Times.

"As a result there was a great reluctance to take on the issue of derogatory comments. My personal view is that this is a much better way of dealing with it and I'd expect committees to be far more inclined to take action when the penalty is simply to put people into the stands. I think it's far more likely there'd be action taken now and much less of a tolerance."

barneytown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 283 - 06/11/2014 19:30:39    1670288

Link

Any new referee's. Who are the best in Fermanagh

law01 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 28 - 09/02/2015 20:16:34    1691867

Link

Not a sensible post as it not right to describe referees performances as it is too controversal!

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1383 - 10/02/2015 09:55:50    1691942

Link