Fermanagh Forum

ALL-IRELAND SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Rubbish......2 Fermanagh guys started melee ....game over & obviously frustrated ...2 reds warranted. Neither Hughes started it but Darren H wrong to enter field of play in an effort to separate players. Linesman saw whole episode & reported correctly to ref. It all happened opposite to where I was sitting !
Best of luck to Fermanagh in future...Rory should give his players more credit in terms of their ability.......they can play better football & be more successful !"
Did you actually see what happened? Might want to look at what happened with Ciaran Corrigan again...

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 13/06/2019 16:38:53    2194506

Link

Replying To allfermanagh:  "
Replying To shotgun:  "[quote=TurnipHead.:  "shotgun you fired a shot at the Rat to challenge him on his statement. Although, I wouldn't normally do so, on this occasion I would agree with the Rat and his suggestion to get rid of passengers on the county senior panel. The Rat, haven't been a passenger himself (not necessary through his only fault but only got one outing to play due to an inadequate management at the time), probably has assessed the situation that prevails to this day. It doesn't help these passengers or want-to-be county stars as they are starved of not only no county play but restricted from playing for they club which renders them not match-ready due the absence of sufficient game participation. So 'shotgun', if you are in away involved with club football you will know that there are indeed a number of suitable footballers capable of being on the county senior panel. The problem lies with who knows who and sometimes club personnel will put forward some of their players through favouritism and not necessary for talent or ability. I have been around long enough at different levels and of course managing teams so I know what's happening at ground level through to county. There is also the long established pathway that sometimes is criticised and that is if you were a student of St Michael's College you were prioritised for county selection and I know this as I was a student there but not of county standard myself. Sorry for dragging on with this reply but 'shotgun' I think that squad recruitment should be seriously looked at in order to find the best way to pick up the best players capable of being be able to represent their county. Until new and fair recruitment system happens then you will have incapable passengers being on the panel just to make up the numbers."
Yes I am very involved in club football. And would just love to know where all these lads that aren't currently on the panel, but are good enough according to you, are."
Some players just need to be given a chance to adapt to the inter-county level.

A few players around the county that could strengthen the Fermanagh squad are:

Stephen McGullion - Derrygonnelly
Gary McKenna - Derrygonnelly
Eoin Beacom - Gaels
Daire O'Cathain - Kinawley
James Allen - Kinawley
Eoin McManus - Teemore
Sean Cassidy - Ederney
Mark McCauley - Ederney
Finbar Gillen - Ederney
Eddie Courtney - Aghadrumsee
Darragh McBrien - Belnaleck
Danny Leonard - Derrylin
James Duffy - Irvinestown
Jason Flanagan - Newtownbulter
Tiarnan Bogue - Tempo
Rory McCaffery - Tempo

Don't get me wrong I am not saying all these lads could add to the squad but they're some talented footballers on that list."]7 off that list have already been in the county squad and either were dropped or quit due to lack of game time. Both due to not making the cut. Not going to attack people personally as it would be out of order and unacceptable but a couple of that list are nowhere near good enough. (In my opinion)

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 64 - 13/06/2019 16:54:45    2194513

Link

Shotgun you weren't long changing your tune from the other day when you said where are these replacement players to the current benchwarmers to be got in your reply to The_Rat and I requote your words as follows:

Replying To The_Rat: "You have got it one mate! Tomas's talk to the media didn't go down well with either management or co board top brass which made it awkward to return. He would have been a massive addition yesterday for free taking. Ruari lost interest due to the uncomfortable situation regarding the brother. Both have a big lost to the green and white army ambition to championship glory. Time for a good revamp of the Fermanagh camp and get rid of the bench warmers. To me, if they weren't brought on in the championship or the league then show them the door. Anyone agree?"
Harsh, and Where exactly are you going to get the replacements for these players?? It's not as if the county is brimming with top players.
shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 47 - 10/06/2019 23:34:30

However, now that you a pulled a rabbit out of a hat with your fresh list of potential players capable of playing for the county, I would have to agree that many on the list would do a better job that some did on Sunday. Maybe, if Gallagher goes and a new man takes over he should consider your proposal. Now that Jim McGuinness is at a loose end could our County Board attract him or is he out of our range both in terms of cost and team prospects?

Wired2theMoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 13/06/2019 22:11:33    2194625

Link

Replying To Wired2theMoon:  "Shotgun you weren't long changing your tune from the other day when you said where are these replacement players to the current benchwarmers to be got in your reply to The_Rat and I requote your words as follows:

Replying To The_Rat: "You have got it one mate! Tomas's talk to the media didn't go down well with either management or co board top brass which made it awkward to return. He would have been a massive addition yesterday for free taking. Ruari lost interest due to the uncomfortable situation regarding the brother. Both have a big lost to the green and white army ambition to championship glory. Time for a good revamp of the Fermanagh camp and get rid of the bench warmers. To me, if they weren't brought on in the championship or the league then show them the door. Anyone agree?"
Harsh, and Where exactly are you going to get the replacements for these players?? It's not as if the county is brimming with top players.

However, now that you a pulled a rabbit out of a hat with your fresh list of potential players capable of playing for the county, I would have to agree that many on the list would do a better job that some did on Sunday. Maybe, if Gallagher goes and a new man takes over he should consider your proposal. Now that Jim McGuinness is at a loose end could our County Board attract him or is he out of our range both in terms of cost and team prospects?"
That list wasn't mine. Do your research there mate.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 64 - 13/06/2019 23:00:28    2194648

Link

Replying To Wired2theMoon:  "Shotgun you weren't long changing your tune from the other day when you said where are these replacement players to the current benchwarmers to be got in your reply to The_Rat and I requote your words as follows:

However, now that you a pulled a rabbit out of a hat with your fresh list of potential players capable of playing for the county, I would have to agree that many on the list would do a better job that some did on Sunday. Maybe, if Gallagher goes and a new man takes over he should consider your proposal. Now that Jim McGuinness is at a loose end could our County Board attract him or is he out of our range both in terms of cost and team prospects?"
Are we not getting enough ridicule for negative football already?

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 14/06/2019 08:41:34    2194705

Link

I think it's mad that people want Gallagher out. We nearly got promoted to DIVISION 1 !! Then we got the 2 very worst draws possible, Donegal are the best team in Ulster and we closed the gap from last year. And Monaghan were the best team by a mile out of the possible teams we could've got in the qualifiers. Only for missing easy chances , the penalty in particular, then we could still be in the championship.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 64 - 14/06/2019 14:26:09    2194859

Link

Replying To shotgun:  "I think it's mad that people want Gallagher out. We nearly got promoted to DIVISION 1 !! Then we got the 2 very worst draws possible, Donegal are the best team in Ulster and we closed the gap from last year. And Monaghan were the best team by a mile out of the possible teams we could've got in the qualifiers. Only for missing easy chances , the penalty in particular, then we could still be in the championship."
Shoegun I think you are in a minority if you believe that Gallagher hasn't failed his team, Let's start with the NFL and the lads did perform well but they tell me that was more down to Ricey's input. However, Gallagher took control in the league finals playoff and didn't get his game plan to work so failing his team meaning no promotion to division one. Then come the championship and Gallagher's game plan once again failed and it's time to get away from his outdated style of football and bring in some fresh thinking to get the lads into the modern game otherwise Fermanagh is going no where fast. Not sure who out there would take on the Fermanagh post but I doubt if it would be on McGuinness's radar.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 104 - 14/06/2019 16:18:41    2194913

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Shoegun I think you are in a minority if you believe that Gallagher hasn't failed his team, Let's start with the NFL and the lads did perform well but they tell me that was more down to Ricey's input. However, Gallagher took control in the league finals playoff and didn't get his game plan to work so failing his team meaning no promotion to division one. Then come the championship and Gallagher's game plan once again failed and it's time to get away from his outdated style of football and bring in some fresh thinking to get the lads into the modern game otherwise Fermanagh is going no where fast. Not sure who out there would take on the Fermanagh post but I doubt if it would be on McGuinness's radar."
Right so any time the team done well it was due to Ricey, and any time things didn't work it was all Gallagher? I don't buy it.
But I do agree when things don't go well we are painful to watch. I just think both draws this year have been shocking for us, but we can 100% build on what has been done.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 64 - 14/06/2019 18:40:32    2194977

Link

Replying To shotgun:  "Right so any time the team done well it was due to Ricey, and any time things didn't work it was all Gallagher? I don't buy it.
But I do agree when things don't go well we are painful to watch. I just think both draws this year have been shocking for us, but we can 100% build on what has been done."
The defensive element of our play is very strong at the moment and one would expect Ricey, a very experienced defender, to have a significant input there. Our problem is in attack and Rory was a feared exponent of that aspect of the game. He once had a personal tally of 18 points against Monaghan and our whole team struggled to get 9 in the recent encounter. On the positive side we created a sizeable number of scoring chances so maybe theres a work in progress. Lets hope so or we will have a relegation battle in the spring.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 16/06/2019 09:11:26    2195621

Link

Replying To fearman:  "The defensive element of our play is very strong at the moment and one would expect Ricey, a very experienced defender, to have a significant input there. Our problem is in attack and Rory was a feared exponent of that aspect of the game. He once had a personal tally of 18 points against Monaghan and our whole team struggled to get 9 in the recent encounter. On the positive side we created a sizeable number of scoring chances so maybe theres a work in progress. Lets hope so or we will have a relegation battle in the spring."
i was at that game, we were actually favourites to win. Rory Gallagher scored 2 penalties and a great fisted goal. However he had 5 other forwards playing alongside him. If he was playing for Fermanagh now he would be lucky to score 2 points. As for our defensive set-up being very strong, I would like to think so given that we are defending with 14 men.
Supporters and players are fed up watching with this ultra defensive football. Winning isnt everything, gaelic football is a sport for everyones enjoyment .

luisfigo (Fermanagh) - Posts: 6 - 16/06/2019 20:45:33    2196033

Link

Replying To luisfigo:  "i was at that game, we were actually favourites to win. Rory Gallagher scored 2 penalties and a great fisted goal. However he had 5 other forwards playing alongside him. If he was playing for Fermanagh now he would be lucky to score 2 points. As for our defensive set-up being very strong, I would like to think so given that we are defending with 14 men.
Supporters and players are fed up watching with this ultra defensive football. Winning isnt everything, gaelic football is a sport for everyones enjoyment ."
It would be hard to name a team at the moment which doesn,t defend with 14 men when they lose possession. Look at Galway/Roscommon yesterday,or even Dublin. Our problems arise when we get possession. Our inability or reluctance to move the ball FORWARD with speed, purpose and intent has been and remains our biggest failing. It is the part that makes scores difficult to get, makes us awful to watch and subject to ridicule by commentators and analysts countrywide. We persist with pointless solo runs across the pitch and passes sideways and backwards to give our opponents time to get their 14 men behind the ball and dispossess us. Notable and pleasant exceptions to this plan are the Cullen brothers who attack up the middle at speed. It would also help if we could find a target man in the full forward line who can beat his man to a high ball. If we dont address these weaknesses, Roscommon, Cavan, Armagh and perhaps others will finish above us.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 17/06/2019 08:46:40    2196199

Link

Anyway enough rubbish talk about wanting Gallagher replaced ... no one could have
Foreseen the ease with which we stayed in div 2 and this division should be easier next year ... yes it's true that zero for 2 is hard in the championship but anyone who doesn't see the real progress made is not a baller ... Gallagher didn't miss the penalty or the frees Nor did he kick 2 easy points in to the keepers hands .. we are progressing with each game and it's great to see .. yes we need a target or two but if you watched how we set out against Monaghan this is how we played and with great effect .. we have great lads on the bench too and now they have a season under their belt I expect to see much more of McBrien and McGurn next season .... not many noticed Kelm on the bench last season or called for his introduction last season but he is clearly player of the season ... and Gallagher is no fool in how he brings these lads along ..
Vital now that the u20s put in a good performance and would be great to see a big vocal home support for this match .. they deserve it
I see bright days ahead and no reason we shouldn't be in the shake up for promotion again in 2020 .. a season on defeats in div 1 seemed to do Roscommon and Cavan no harm anyway for anyone about to say why go up to div 1 to get some hidings .. as you got to bank that experience of playing the best come championship ... I'd be happier being a div 1 div 2 yo-yo team !!

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 172 - 17/06/2019 20:29:48    2196759

Link