Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh's Future

(Oldest Posts First)

Pete McGrath is expected to make a decision on his future as Fermanagh manager this week according to the Impartial Reporter. He said "I think the management will sit down maybe this week sometime and we'll take a decision about whether we feel we can take this group any further than we have taken them." Meanwhile, the players are said to support whatever decision is arrived at. We await a likely statement on Thursday.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1195 - 26/06/2017 21:56:33    2006058

Link

Did Pete McGrath imeet with his management team last night? If so, what decision was arrived at?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1149 - 30/06/2017 09:23:12    2007819

Link

2004 All Star player, Marty McGrath reckons that Fermanagh are simply missing too many quality players in the last two seasons hence the culminating in the county team's demise in 2017. He says that Fermanagh can compete with the best of them on the day but a full team is a must and everything needs to be done to ensure that the right players are available and ready and able to play.
Therefore, Fermanagh faces big challenges into the future and needs to somehow secure the right squad of quality players together with someone with fresh ideas on how to take things forward otherwise they face a mediocre future. Let's hope that such changes emerge in preparation for the new season commences later in the autumn.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 745 - 01/07/2017 13:21:28    2008312

Link

Was surprised to read in the Irish News that Pete McGrath could be staying on for a fifth season as Fermanagh senior football manager. I wonder is this in the best interest of the team? Personally, I doubt not.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 04/07/2017 18:33:01    2010623

Link

i think pete mcgrath has done as good a job as could be expected with the players he had available to him. A much larger county would have struggled to compete with the number of players who have left the panel over the last 2 years, so this season was always going to be a struggle.

However i think it is time for pete mcgrath to leave the position. We need to look at why all these players where unavailable to the county panel and what can be done to entice them back, there are a few who would cite the management as an issue, and while i feel this is quite a childish reason we need to make sure that as many players as possible are making themselves available for the team. if a change in management would help this then the change needs to happen

manowar (Fermanagh) - Posts: 147 - 05/07/2017 15:39:45    2011041

Link

It makes good sense for the Fermanagh county board retain Pete McGrath in charge of the county's senior footballers in 2018. Any changes now would be very disruptive to the panel as they have gotten used to his management format. The main thing now is for McGrath to get Fermanagh out of division 3 and back into a better class of county level football.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 389 - 06/07/2017 12:01:56    2011439

Link

Replying To abc1234:  "It makes good sense for the Fermanagh county board retain Pete McGrath in charge of the county's senior footballers in 2018. Any changes now would be very disruptive to the panel as they have gotten used to his management format. The main thing now is for McGrath to get Fermanagh out of division 3 and back into a better class of county level football."
very disruptive? you joking? if anything its the perfect time considering the amount of people unavailable last year. New manager, fresh start. Not same manager and same men missing

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 61 - 06/07/2017 15:28:56    2011551

Link

I feel gutted. It's a sad day for Fermanagh.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 06/07/2017 16:11:46    2011566

Link

Fair to say surprised with news that Pete McGrath staying on,from both sides, that he is willing to give another years commitment plus that county board were so quick to ratify a 5th year.

There is no doubt McGrath has done a good job for majority of his tenure,promotion to division 2, quarter finals of All Ireland(including incredible game v Roscommon,staying in Div 2 last year,probably maximised with resources available. This year as he has admitted has been a tough year,poor results and rolled over on number of occasions,there is no doubt that the retirements of Cassidy,O Brien and Kelly were understated at the time and was evident by goals conceded this year. The loss of O Callaghan and Conal Jones was unexpected plus have had some bad injuries though all counties have that). There is no doubt seemed to be lack of fight/focus in team this year(goals from quick frees again Kildare.Early goal v Derry in NFL,which is certainly players responsibility though management also need to take some criticism for.

McGraths mantra was to leave the Fermanagh jersey in better place and given his pride,there is no doubt this influenced his decision in staying on,he doesnt want to walk out when going gets tough. That is good quality in a man though 5 years in,there needs to be a fresh approach, new voices within coaching set-up added,bar Mickey Harte its challenging to motivate same players over a duration as such.
Its obvious that Fermanagh need everyone on board and I would hope that players were consulted on this decision,as need all pulling together for the good of the jersey. Players like James McMahon and Ciaran Corrigan are needed back in 2018. Also think that county under 21/20s should have a separate manager,closely linked to senior squad,so McGrath is 100% on senior and underage ste-up gets focus it deserves to improve recent results in Ulster 21s

Credit lesser men would have walked as looks tough prospect,Division 3 will be a hard one to get promoted out of, Armagh,Derry,Westmeath etc. McGrath has obviously thought ahead and hopes to have players back(travelling plus less injuries) which will strengthen but i think more options will be needed to be found outside of current squad.

Another factor for county board suppose was who was alternatives to replace McGrath ,no standouts plus im sure not big €€€ like other counties provide managers with. Time will tell if this is best decision,hopefully it is. Good to see county board acting quick on something for a change.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 864 - 07/07/2017 11:58:20    2011902

Link

The problem Fermanagh has that they have what may be considered as reasonably club players which isn't the standard level for a county team of standing. Like so many other weak counties they may make the odd random impact but as regards achieving provincial or national standard and success they fall short due to the lack of both quality players as well as capable management. Historic management achievement of decades ago doesn't mean that they are what a progressive team requires today. The macca999 poster has hinted at this scenario and sometimes one is blinded to the shortcomings of some yesterday's managers and allows a team drift swiftly into the wilderness of division 3 or 4 to the detriment of the players. By the way, I may be a Galway lad but my grandparents came from Fermanagh so explains my interest in your county team.

WestRules (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 07/07/2017 12:23:07    2011919

Link

Replying To WestRules:  "The problem Fermanagh has that they have what may be considered as reasonably club players which isn't the standard level for a county team of standing. Like so many other weak counties they may make the odd random impact but as regards achieving provincial or national standard and success they fall short due to the lack of both quality players as well as capable management. Historic management achievement of decades ago doesn't mean that they are what a progressive team requires today. The macca999 poster has hinted at this scenario and sometimes one is blinded to the shortcomings of some yesterday's managers and allows a team drift swiftly into the wilderness of division 3 or 4 to the detriment of the players. By the way, I may be a Galway lad but my grandparents came from Fermanagh so explains my interest in your county team."
Westrules?............"The problem Fermanagh has that they have what may be considered as reasonably club players"

thats just an assumption,

The problem fermanagh has is this........

Galway Population 258,550 approx

Fermanagh Population 61000 aprox minus the 40odd% (25000) who are preparing to celebrate the 1690 battle of the boyne would leave us with a population of around 36000 who may consider gaa as their first sport while actually that figure is alot lower.

the total amount of senior and junior club footballers in fermanagh would be well below the 1000 mark. So when you refer to fermanagh as weak as oppossed to say a "strong county like galway" its only beacuse they are at an unfair political, demographic and econmical disadvantage not because "they have what may be considered as reasonable club players"

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 07/07/2017 18:37:39    2012096

Link

abitawit I believe, if I'm correct, that the Galway person was being more critical of management than the Fermanagh players and was being realistic about what is actually available to the county team. I don't think he was being boastful of his Galway county or team.

I also belive that the real problem that Fermanagh faces is that commitment of players will fade if McGrath is unable to lift them out of div3. Although, he previously took credit for the team's promotion to div2, it was really Peter Canavan who had raised the standard of the team performance and if he had stayed on would have seen the fruit of his efforts.

At the end of the 2018 season, if Fermanagh is still stuck in div3, then the county board must take action to recruit a fresh young ambitious manager that reflects the level of progressive management that is seen in among the best county teams in the country. Okay it will cost more money but wouldn't be money wasted like what has happened since 2015!

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 745 - 07/07/2017 19:29:40    2012109

Link