Fermanagh Forum

Club nicknames

(Oldest Posts First)

I was reading the article on hoganstand about "Cake, Strimmer and Jelly; a football team of great nicknames" and I found into funny but interesting as there is usually a story about the origin of how a player or club got their nickname.

Playing club football from an early age you soon learned the nicknames of your opposition. I remember asking my father why this was the situation and he explained that it was intended as a motivational thing to be able to annoy your opponents by calling them by their nicknames. I know some of them but not all, so maybe some could complete the club list below.

Derrygonnelly - The pubbers
Erne Gaels -
Ederney -
Lisnaskea - The dandies
Devenish -
Kinawley - The clockers
Roslea - The cowboys
Teemore - The hillbillies
Irvinestown -
Belcoo -
Newtownbutler - The blow boys
Coa -
Tempo -
Maguiresbridge - The pansies
Aghadrumsee - The magpies
Donagh - The bum boys
Belnaleck -
Enniskillen - The townies
Brookeboro -
Derrylin -

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 103 - 11/05/2017 22:10:54    1986082

Link

My cousin, uncle and father have helped me complete the list with interpretations. There seems to be a mixture of traditional as well as more recent additions. It all makes for interesting local social history in the GAA in Fermanagh.
Club nicknames
Derrygonnelly - The pubbers Attributed to the pub being the traditional meeting place for the Harps' players.
Erne Gaels - The potters Obviously, linked to the Belleek pottery, although in the olden days they make chamber pots (toilet bowls) hence the name potters.
Ederney - The lamberts or weemen Lambert is associated with sheep and the weemen refers naturally to their generally smaller stature.
Lisnaskea - The dandies Flamboyant characters who liked to dress well.
Devenish - The gorillas Mainly a hairy bunch and that seems to be still the case!
Kinawley - The clockers Believed to be a more recent nickname due to being the first Fermanagh club to install a 'fancy' clock at their grounds which apparently didn't work half the time!.
Roslea - The cowboys Historically, known as bandit country where the sheriff had no control, hence the classification as cowboys.
Teemore - The hillbillies Renowned for there illicit spirit production, consumption and lifestyle of the hillbilly!
Irvinestown - The Gauzies or shams Apparently, the name was associated with the rag trade in the town and sham name suggesting questionable genuineness.
Belcoo - The humpty dumpties Suggests that they sat on the wall regularly and fell often, My father remembers loads of them sitting on the long bridge walls on the Fermanagh - Cavan border.
Newtownbutler - The blow boys Renowned for boasting a lot while achieving little
Coa - The culchies or benny hill men Irish word for country person and being from the hills of Coa certainly would fit that description!
Tempo - The turfmen or rednecks The assumption here is that they are surrounded by bog and as for redneck we are not sure.
Maguiresbridge - The pansies A traditional name associated with the Bridge as guys held on too long to the mother's apron strings.
Aghadrumsee - The magpies Obviously, associated with their black & white strips and the tradition of feeding off others.
Donagh - The bum boys Well that's obvious as they have larger behinds that most.
Belnaleck - The leckers or sticklebacks Leckers is short of the club name and stickleback suggests they are pricky when touched or annoyed.
Enniskillen - The townies or skinners Obviously, the club is based in the main town of the county hence the name townies and skinner suggest an element of being mean.
Brookeboro - The ghostmen Associated with the Cooneen ghost from the area.
Derrylin - The hatters or strawhatters Associated with the straw hatted mummers or travelling circus/theatre of clowns.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 103 - 13/05/2017 11:53:54    1986399

Link