Dublin Forum

Jim Gavin

(Oldest Posts First)

Has to said that this man has performed unbelievably with this group since 2013. Yes he has some of the best players at his disposal but when he needed to make the big decisions for saturday night he did it. To leave out two players of the year and a young defender who had performed pretty well were huge calls. Mick Fitz was MOTM, mccauley gave his best 35-40 performance in years, brogan even allowing for the couple of blocks worked his socks off, cormac costello oozed class, darren daly made a block that was hugely important as Maurice Deegan would have given Mayo one last opportunity at a score if the ball had been delivered in. I think not alone the unprecedented success of the team is something that we should cherish but combined with this there are a group of players that now the cause is bigger than any ego and this has to be attributed to Jim Gavin and to his predecessor Pat Gilroy. Jim Gavin is a credit to the county and he seems such a humble man but will go down as a legend in time.

Adamski (Dublin) - Posts: 339 - 03/10/2016 13:31:59    1921874

Link

Replying To Adamski:  "Has to said that this man has performed unbelievably with this group since 2013. Yes he has some of the best players at his disposal but when he needed to make the big decisions for saturday night he did it. To leave out two players of the year and a young defender who had performed pretty well were huge calls. Mick Fitz was MOTM, mccauley gave his best 35-40 performance in years, brogan even allowing for the couple of blocks worked his socks off, cormac costello oozed class, darren daly made a block that was hugely important as Maurice Deegan would have given Mayo one last opportunity at a score if the ball had been delivered in. I think not alone the unprecedented success of the team is something that we should cherish but combined with this there are a group of players that now the cause is bigger than any ego and this has to be attributed to Jim Gavin and to his predecessor Pat Gilroy. Jim Gavin is a credit to the county and he seems such a humble man but will go down as a legend in time."
Good post

Daly's block is another flash of brilliance that I'll never forget for as long as I'm capable of retaining memory.

WHAT A BLOCK!!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 03/10/2016 14:06:23    1921895

Link

Your so right about the block that ref was doing his best to give Mayo one last shot if that ball wasn't blocked and goes to a Mayo forward inside it would of been play on til they got a shot off or another soft free that they were getting all night. I'm sorry but 31 frees to 18 frees in a one point game is shockingly one sided.

They have to build a statue of Jim Gavin in Clondalkin what he's done is phenomenal. Great man.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 03/10/2016 14:32:11    1921912

Link

That block was amazing u could see flynns reaction afier it he went straight over to daly and jumped on him. Your right about the ref he did everything he could to give mayo a chance for the draw. He was very poor.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 889 - 03/10/2016 15:13:58    1921944

Link

Yeah that block was unreal and probably prevented extra time as Deegan was going to let them run on. Great stuff from butsy. Another great man off the bench.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4197 - 03/10/2016 15:46:40    1921974

Link