Dublin Forum

Philly's performance

(Oldest Posts First)

I really like Philly Mac. He may be a scoundrel but he is our scoundrel and I think he was a huge part of our All-Ireland success last year.
Was just looking back at last Sunday's game however. He had a poor game by his standards. Don't know why Mayo didn't persist with long diagonal ball in. O Se was nearly through once or twice. Philly's distribution was poor at times too. Hope recovers his form for next Saturday.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1260 - 24/09/2016 16:39:05    1918690

Link

Disagree with op I thought O Shea whose Mayo's main man had a quiet day for his standards thanks to Philly marking him very well. Like what more do you want he kept him scoreless he can't do much more than that O Shea will always win ball.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 24/09/2016 18:07:24    1918716

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Disagree with op I thought O Shea whose Mayo's main man had a quiet day for his standards thanks to Philly marking him very well. Like what more do you want he kept him scoreless he can't do much more than that O Shea will always win ball."
Well O'Se drifted around...Philly wasn't always on him. O'Se had a poor game. But several of Philly's passes out of defence were intercepted.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1260 - 24/09/2016 18:26:41    1918724

Link

Replying To avonali:  "I really like Philly Mac. He may be a scoundrel but he is our scoundrel and I think he was a huge part of our All-Ireland success last year.
Was just looking back at last Sunday's game however. He had a poor game by his standards. Don't know why Mayo didn't persist with long diagonal ball in. O Se was nearly through once or twice. Philly's distribution was poor at times too. Hope recovers his form for next Saturday."
I'd agree with all of that.One of my favourite players but seemed a littled off colour.Not the usual energetic performance weve become accustomed to with Philly.I remember one kick pass in second half that went harmlessly over the Cusack Stand sideline and wasnt anywhere near a Dublin player.He also gave a handpass to a static Davy Byrne that led to Alan Dillons equalising score.I wouldnt blame Philly on that one but it was indicative of the day he was having and you could see he was pissed off with D Byrne for not receiving his pass.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 24/09/2016 18:32:37    1918726

Link

Disagree with all of the OP. Phillys main job as a back is to defend. He was tasked with marking Aidan O Shea, considered one of the best forwards in the game, and held him scoreless, AGAIN. Thought he had a good game, other than that ball he kicked over the line. The pass to davey byrne was actually a perfectly weighted pass for Byrne to run onto. Byrne was caught napping, Byrnes fault. I actually would be much more concerned about Byrnes performance. The incident I just mentioned plus two other times he had fairly easy chances to catch the ball but he flapped at it and knocked it down to Mayo players on both occasions. But listen it was his first all irelnad final and he's a young lad who has had a great year so Ill forgive him.

ConnollyDub (Dublin) - Posts: 1836 - 26/09/2016 13:00:29    1919222

Link

Look, If we are going to start threads on people who didn't have a great game or play to their potential last sunday, Then we may start a thread on everyone with the exception of Cluxton, Johnny Cooper, John Small and Brian Fenton.

We where very poor, And there is a lot of mass hysteria, People wanting to change everything around based on one really, disappointing performance. One really disappointing performance in two years.

Ive thought about it long and hard, And the only change id make is Paul Flynn, I'd take him out and bring in paddy Andrews. Apart from that id go with the exact same team again.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13523 - 26/09/2016 13:27:00    1919239

Link

Me too wayno,although i watched the full first half again last night and thought P Flynn got on a decent amount of ball.I wouldnt be surprised if Jim gave the same 15 another crack at it.All healthy debate wayno me aul pal.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/09/2016 14:02:25    1919259

Link