Dublin Forum

What would your feeling have been if we won?

(Oldest Posts First)

Cillian O Connor kicks that last ball wide instead of over what would your feeling have been if we won? Be honest posters.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 22/09/2016 10:22:42    1917836

Link

I'd have been a little embarrassed to be perfectly honest. I don't think I'd have been off celebrating anyway. That's not how i want this outstanding team to make history and win back to backs. I want to see the Dublin I know and love play their usual brand of football and deserve their win.

Ask me again on the 2nd of October though. If Mayo manage to win I'd say my answer will change and I'd be wishing COC had put it wide :)

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/09/2016 10:47:43    1917842

Link

Ecstatic at first and then I would have heard the whinging already starting

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19820 - 22/09/2016 10:54:09    1917844

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Cillian O Connor kicks that last ball wide instead of over what would your feeling have been if we won? Be honest posters."
Would have been delighted...we would have won..
Have watched the match a few times despite playing poorly we had plenty of chances to win that game am very confident we will win the replay.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 894 - 22/09/2016 10:58:16    1917845

Link

Mad question! Id have been ecstatic and id still be drunk!!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 22/09/2016 11:36:09    1917863

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Mad question! Id have been ecstatic and id still be drunk!!"
Hahaha

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19820 - 22/09/2016 11:50:20    1917874

Link

Mad question? A poster has already disagreed with what you've said.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 22/09/2016 11:51:12    1917876

Link

It would have been a far dry from our victory in the 2015 replay where we blew them off the park in the last 15 minutes or so

That could have been more if there was 7 minutes injury time!!!!!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19820 - 22/09/2016 12:13:22    1917886

Link

They must be youngfellas cd! Anyone over 34 will know wat we went thru to get here!!! Take em all no matter how. Id take a 0-00 to 0-01 win all day ffs!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 22/09/2016 12:45:41    1917901

Link

Could hardly have watched them collect the cup after that. Delighted to have the opportunity to win it properly and winter well. Jim Gavin didn't mince his words and of course the players knew it wasn't good enough for AI final or any game for that matter. Expect a big big improvement thought Mayo knocked Dublin off their game and were in their faces from start. Thought Dublin looked the more anxious. Mayo will have the it between their teeth but a reply can be a completely different game. Gavin is fortunate that he has the players to turn it around and if can get Dublin right they can win,no doubt.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 320 - 22/09/2016 13:27:46    1917922

Link

woah woah woah!!!
Are some of ye seriously telling me, if ye could go back and make COC miss that point to draw, thus handing us the Sam, you WOULDNT,,,,,
I mean are we really saying this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are ye absolutely monkeyonacid CRAZY!!!
I dunno is that staggering arrogance or staggering naievity, but either way, its staggering!!!
Gway out that !!!!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 22/09/2016 14:53:26    1917959

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "woah woah woah!!!
Are some of ye seriously telling me, if ye could go back and make COC miss that point to draw, thus handing us the Sam, you WOULDNT,,,,,
I mean are we really saying this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are ye absolutely monkeyonacid CRAZY!!!
I dunno is that staggering arrogance or staggering naievity, but either way, its staggering!!!
Gway out that !!!!"
In what way is it arrogant to not want your team to win an All Ireland that way?? So I have a sense of my own importance or abilities because I'd rather see my team win an All Ireland and make history by competing to their own very high standards and by playing well??

adjective
adjective: arrogant

having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Would back to backs have been great? Yes. Would I have been happy to make history and win that way? Personally, no.

People are entitled to their own opinions even if they don't match yours. Doesn't make them arrogant, crazy or naive.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/09/2016 15:13:54    1917969

Link

Croi, listen I am not trying to fall out with anyone here ok....i do enough of that on the other board, and quite well too i might add!
But.....
We went 1984-2010 with ONE all Ireland...ONE
And every year we were knocked out we were made laughing stock of
No one got abuse like we did, no one was ridiculed like we were

The last 5 years have spoiled many of the younger generation of Dubs into thinking we are perennial all ireland finalistS. We are not!
Supporting and loving the Dubs in my teens and twenties was torture. TORTURE. That makes these days all the sweeter. Jesus Christ I remember going bananas on the Hill when Ian Robertson scored a last minute 1-1 to EQUALISE against Laois in a Leinster semi final ffs!! Bananas!!!

So, to say that we "dont want to win sam that way" and to then almost ensue that we will just go out and play champagne football the next day and win "the right way".....to me.....is nuts!

Tell me, if we lose the next day, and someone says to you, are you still glad COC kicked that equaliser the last day, what do you think you will say?

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 22/09/2016 16:34:00    1918007

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Croi, listen I am not trying to fall out with anyone here ok....i do enough of that on the other board, and quite well too i might add!
But.....
We went 1984-2010 with ONE all Ireland...ONE
And every year we were knocked out we were made laughing stock of
No one got abuse like we did, no one was ridiculed like we were

The last 5 years have spoiled many of the younger generation of Dubs into thinking we are perennial all ireland finalistS. We are not!
Supporting and loving the Dubs in my teens and twenties was torture. TORTURE. That makes these days all the sweeter. Jesus Christ I remember going bananas on the Hill when Ian Robertson scored a last minute 1-1 to EQUALISE against Laois in a Leinster semi final ffs!! Bananas!!!

So, to say that we "dont want to win sam that way" and to then almost ensue that we will just go out and play champagne football the next day and win "the right way".....to me.....is nuts!

Tell me, if we lose the next day, and someone says to you, are you still glad COC kicked that equaliser the last day, what do you think you will say?"
It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile....

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 22/09/2016 17:20:38    1918036

Link

I wouldn't have cared if the ball ricocheted off O'Gara's ar€e and hopped over the bar for a winner as long as we won. We had 55% possession, 3 great goal chances, lead at half time by 5 and by 3 at the end of 70. Granted we were brutal up front but we're unbeaten against Donegal, Kerry and Mayo in the AI series. That in itself is a decent feat almost worthy of a celtic cross. A win is a win at the end of the day regardless of how well you play.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4227 - 22/09/2016 18:34:55    1918065

Link

Replying To Joxer:  "I wouldn't have cared if the ball ricocheted off O'Gara's ar€e and hopped over the bar for a winner as long as we won. We had 55% possession, 3 great goal chances, lead at half time by 5 and by 3 at the end of 70. Granted we were brutal up front but we're unbeaten against Donegal, Kerry and Mayo in the AI series. That in itself is a decent feat almost worthy of a celtic cross. A win is a win at the end of the day regardless of how well you play."
Spot on joxer
The all ireland championship runs from May to September not only the third Sunday in september

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 22/09/2016 18:44:37    1918072

Link

If we had of won last sunday i'd have been buzzin my ***s off.

I'd have been ecstatic. Honestly.

But you see, I started a thread after the Kerry game last year basically saying I didn't feel the same as the first one and rightfully got put in my place by a few. Heinsite is a wonderful thing.

As Liam rightly points out, The days of Pat Spillane in the SG studio backing Laois to beat us in a Leinster semi final (or final, cant remember) where wretched days, The late 90's early 00's where absolutely rotten. So every single success I will appreciate, Whether they be national or provincial titles because it wont last forever.

THAT SAID, I'm glad for ONE reason that the game was a draw, And that is because I am glad we get another day out, and I'm convinced, absolutely totally and utterly convinced, that we will win the replay anyway.

In a way winning the last day would have been the most pleasing all Ireland, Winning it without any forwards playing anywhere near their capabilities and only scoring 9 points basically in the game to keep mayos curse going would have been magic, It would have would every fecker out there that wasn't a Dub up. Can you imagine Ulsterman and TheMaster, utter carnage. It would have been bliss.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13531 - 22/09/2016 21:24:57    1918148

Link

Great post. Ask any Kerry supporter after the 2014 final. They couldnt have given a rats ar$e, once they won Sam.
Although our performance was no where near what it should have been on the day, we still created goal chances, 3 to 4 in the first half. We would have been unlucky if we hadn't have been in the mix for the 2nd half. Some times you have to win ugly, and that's what it would have been.

DanDub (Dublin) - Posts: 1 - 22/09/2016 21:37:02    1918154

Link