Dublin Forum

No nerves - why?

(Oldest Posts First)

For some reason, i am not in the slightest bit worried/nervous re the final. And, even if we lose, I dont think i will be that devestated.
Beating Kerry again meant so much, was such an investment for me emotionally and simply mattered more to me
I know thats silly, I know its all wrong, but now that Kerry are beaten again, I am relaxed and calm and will take the final in my stride.

Kerry lads, yes that IS a huge compliment to ye!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 02/09/2016 11:51:21    1909420

Link

I'm not nervous now but that's only because it's a few weeks away. The butterflies will kick in the Thursday or Friday, people in work will go out of their way to wind me up too making me worse. Come Sunday morning I'll be a write off. I get REALLY nervous on the day of a big match.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 02/09/2016 12:04:49    1909426

Link

I'm not nervous cause I honestly don't think we have anything to worry about. I have absolute total trust in that panel and the management team based on what ive seen this year but especially last day out against Kerry. I think they will just turn up, and win the game. Not cause Mayo are shite, but because we are better than them in my honest opinion. I'm not saying they wont give it everything or we will hammer them, just that the mental strength and all round ability/skill and pace of this team is simply better and better teams with more winning experience tend to win on the big occasion. People don't like these kind of opinions Liam, I'll undoubtably get slaughtered for being "arrogant" or "cocky" but I don't think its either, I wont lick mayo backsides to make them feel good about themselves and I'm not gonna bullshit you either. There is no pressure on us. We aren't the ones going 65 years without an all Ireland. We've won 3 of the last 5, The pressure is on them. The onus is on them to show the balls and talent to take our crown off of us, If they have it, good luck to them, If not, We put ourselves down as the greatest Dublin team of all time. 11 leinsters in 12 years. 4 national league titles in a row, 3, possibly 4 all Irelands out of the last 5/6. 18 final victories in a row at senior level. 4 victories in a row against the so called aristocrats of football, Kerry, something no Dublin team has done before. If you cant feel confident about this team then you never can. They have the bottle, the talent, the skill, the pace, the mindset, the players, the management, and most of all we have nothing to prove to absolutely anybody. You know it, I know it. Admit it.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13523 - 02/09/2016 13:14:44    1909449

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I'm not nervous cause I honestly don't think we have anything to worry about. I have absolute total trust in that panel and the management team based on what ive seen this year but especially last day out against Kerry. I think they will just turn up, and win the game. Not cause Mayo are shite, but because we are better than them in my honest opinion. I'm not saying they wont give it everything or we will hammer them, just that the mental strength and all round ability/skill and pace of this team is simply better and better teams with more winning experience tend to win on the big occasion. People don't like these kind of opinions Liam, I'll undoubtably get slaughtered for being "arrogant" or "cocky" but I don't think its either, I wont lick mayo backsides to make them feel good about themselves and I'm not gonna bullshit you either. There is no pressure on us. We aren't the ones going 65 years without an all Ireland. We've won 3 of the last 5, The pressure is on them. The onus is on them to show the balls and talent to take our crown off of us, If they have it, good luck to them, If not, We put ourselves down as the greatest Dublin team of all time. 11 leinsters in 12 years. 4 national league titles in a row, 3, possibly 4 all Irelands out of the last 5/6. 18 final victories in a row at senior level. 4 victories in a row against the so called aristocrats of football, Kerry, something no Dublin team has done before. If you cant feel confident about this team then you never can. They have the bottle, the talent, the skill, the pace, the mindset, the players, the management, and most of all we have nothing to prove to absolutely anybody. You know it, I know it. Admit it."
100% in agreement
100%
Well said Wayno

Totally agree with every point made.

I also think we will beat them fairly handy.

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 02/09/2016 13:22:57    1909454

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I'm not nervous cause I honestly don't think we have anything to worry about. I have absolute total trust in that panel and the management team based on what ive seen this year but especially last day out against Kerry. I think they will just turn up, and win the game. Not cause Mayo are shite, but because we are better than them in my honest opinion. I'm not saying they wont give it everything or we will hammer them, just that the mental strength and all round ability/skill and pace of this team is simply better and better teams with more winning experience tend to win on the big occasion. People don't like these kind of opinions Liam, I'll undoubtably get slaughtered for being "arrogant" or "cocky" but I don't think its either, I wont lick mayo backsides to make them feel good about themselves and I'm not gonna bullshit you either. There is no pressure on us. We aren't the ones going 65 years without an all Ireland. We've won 3 of the last 5, The pressure is on them. The onus is on them to show the balls and talent to take our crown off of us, If they have it, good luck to them, If not, We put ourselves down as the greatest Dublin team of all time. 11 leinsters in 12 years. 4 national league titles in a row, 3, possibly 4 all Irelands out of the last 5/6. 18 final victories in a row at senior level. 4 victories in a row against the so called aristocrats of football, Kerry, something no Dublin team has done before. If you cant feel confident about this team then you never can. They have the bottle, the talent, the skill, the pace, the mindset, the players, the management, and most of all we have nothing to prove to absolutely anybody. You know it, I know it. Admit it."
I do believe we'll win, I'm being told by everyone in work we just need to show up but that doesn't ease my nerves at all I'm afraid. I wish it did. It's just something that happens to me on match week/day, I turn in to a bag of nerves.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 02/09/2016 14:32:25    1909478

Link

Huge motivation now to go and win it

I really think that back to back final thing is well and truly off our backs now

That will have put some doubt to one side

We now have to go and find a good performance and tighten up on a few aspects

Discipline will be key, don't get sucked into it, we know what's coming from Mayo

Restrict Mayo's ability to score frees and they struggle.

We know Mayo very well indeed and they deserve all the respect going, as such this will only aid our preparations.

Lessons will need to be learned from our first encounter last year. We got sucked into too much niggling.

We have the side to cause them a lot of trouble but nothing is won until it's won.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 02/09/2016 15:22:29    1909493

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "100% in agreement
100%
Well said Wayno

Totally agree with every point made.

I also think we will beat them fairly handy."
I don't think there is much pressure on Mayo . In previous years there was real hope they would win an AI no one gives them a hope this year. None of that will matter if Mayo play as they have all year. They have been crap. The main pressure on Mayo is that they ousted their management last year. Last year they were playing much better but a few geniuses on the team decided they knew better. It looks to me as management isn't really in control and are afraid of some of the senior players. All that been said I would expect them to raise their game for the final.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 320 - 02/09/2016 20:52:53    1909556

Link

4 all irelands in six seasons, and a back to back, throw in the 4 in a row leagues, and this team would be next to the great Kerry team of the late 70s mid 80s. 70 mins from true greatness is a serious motivation for this crew.

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 03/09/2016 00:11:52    1909585

Link

Very confident post Wayno (not arrogant). Hard to argue with you but I'm still a nervous wreck and wouldn't share you confidence.

This Mayo team have been hiding in long grass and this is going to be a battle royale. They hate us and they are going to use every dirty trick they can think of to get them over the line. Plus, the sight of a blue and navy jersey will be enough to up their game a further 20%. Even in Castlebar earlier in the year when they were playing crap and without first team players they gave us a cat hard battle. Full of instensity and aggression.

The difference between this Mayo team and others is that they have two on their management team who have won All Ireland titles as managers. McEntee (x2 with Crossmaglen) and Rochford (with Cora Finne).

Expect a slog. We'll have to be at our very best to win this. Don't mean to be negative. I'm just very wary!!

Up the Dubs!

15BACSAM (Dublin) - Posts: 142 - 03/09/2016 14:52:37    1909683

Link

Replying To 15BACSAM:  "Very confident post Wayno (not arrogant). Hard to argue with you but I'm still a nervous wreck and wouldn't share you confidence.

This Mayo team have been hiding in long grass and this is going to be a battle royale. They hate us and they are going to use every dirty trick they can think of to get them over the line. Plus, the sight of a blue and navy jersey will be enough to up their game a further 20%. Even in Castlebar earlier in the year when they were playing crap and without first team players they gave us a cat hard battle. Full of instensity and aggression.

The difference between this Mayo team and others is that they have two on their management team who have won All Ireland titles as managers. McEntee (x2 with Crossmaglen) and Rochford (with Cora Finne).

Expect a slog. We'll have to be at our very best to win this. Don't mean to be negative. I'm just very wary!!

Up the Dubs!"
Agree with that! Mayo will be a serious challenge for the Dubs ,, Dublin won't beat Mayo for fitness or pace. Mayo are ferocious tacklers they stick their arm in and rip the Ball out of your hands. Mayo were confident enough last year to allow Dublin have the short kick out and wait on the 45m line for Dublin to come out with the Ball and turn them over. The first half of the Dublin v Mayo (replay) was the best football I seen last year. both teams attacked each other at a 100mph up and down the pitch kicking points (going point for point) it was great football to watch. Mayo will be galvanised and well fired up to play Dublin in the Final. I won't be able to sit in the Stand and relax I'm afraid. As soon as the match starts my blood pressure starts to sore and my ulcer starts acting up ,, It was touch and go during those last 5 minutes with Kerry last week. But I survived the ordeal :-) had to sit back in my seat for a few minutes after the game ended though.

Wexiko (Wexford) - Posts: 81 - 03/09/2016 21:55:21    1909766

Link

Of course Mayo will up their game..

They have to. If they turn up in two weeks time with the same mentality and attitude and just general all round performance that got them through so far then they will be in for one hell of a beating..

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that every single player in that Mayo team will be 110% up for this game and ready.

But I think we have all the weapons at our disposal to beat them irrespective of what they throw at us, and I feel we will.

There wont be any lack of motivation for both sides. They want to end their 65 year wait, We want to win it back to back. The whole country will want them to win, We've already been there and done it, But again I come back to it, We have everything we need to beat them, And they will need to come out with a consistent gameplan, and stick to it for 70 minutes. If they do it... They can win.

But I'm not nervous, Not one bit. I'm really excited about the build up in the next two weeks. Both sides will remain quiet and go about their business. Bring it on I say.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13523 - 04/09/2016 19:20:55    1909933

Link

Very confident, just logically dont see how they can trouble us, i like the focus being on AOS - high balls and pushing up on the kickout. AOS was invisable last year, we will just a big man on him to contest and our fullback are the most mobile in the game for the mop up and swarm. They will struggle to support him because of the gaps it will leave elsewhere.

Additionally the kick outs, i dont think its the smoking gun people are making out, the two goals in the smei one was an error and poor judgement the other a ghost goal, there is no chance of either happening again in my opinion and if we land similar stats as Vs Kerry we will be good.

The ref worries me due to the ground swell of goodwill for Mayo to win one, we need to keep our heads and discipline., i think the ref may be swayed toward them.

They need another day like 2012, i cant see us being as off as that day under this management and we are a better team, especially with performence Vs kerry all questions re hunger answered in abundance.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3245 - 05/09/2016 11:21:46    1910148

Link

Lads the ref from '13 final gave the free count 32 to 12 in a point game,that's shockingly one sided , be worried about the ref imo everyone wants a Mayo victory.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 05/09/2016 12:45:34    1910192

Link

Because Liam "We are blue we are white (kinda white these days) we are f**king dynamite"

That is why you are not nervous and neiether am I.

Cluxton had his wake up call Jim has all the plans gameplans, and plan B's sorted out, no fear he will get caught out like 2014 v Donegal ever again.

Patience where needed, attack when sensible to so, control the game = victory in the end.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 06/09/2016 16:56:23    1910839

Link