Dublin Forum

Diarmuid Connolly

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Please people look at the Connolly second yellow again there's absolutely nothing dirty or high about it , honestly it's the player making a meal of it and then the Donegal over reaction to get him sent off , honestly if you watch it without already making your mind up you will see he just tries to slap the ball nothing else in it."
Ive looked at it a dozen times. There may have been no intent, But its a yellow card, The arm was around the neck. An honest attempt at winning the ball doesn't mean you are out of card territory if you don't win the ball. Look, It doesn't really matter as we won the game and Dermo wont be missing against Kerry, But jesus Christ I mean if that's an opposition player who committed the same offence on a Dublin player, you know aswell as I do, even if you don't admit it, you would be all over it like flies around you know what demanding the oppo player got at least a yellow.

High challenge around the neck = yellow card.

Its not even up for debate.

Out of curiosity, Where do you stand on Cavanaghs second yellow ? Similar circumstances, not very malicious, arm round the neck.... He got a yellow card... Murphy too, though I can see the argument for straight red, but refs in both games where consistent in their punishment for high tackles. Don't think we can complain about Derms red at all ..

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13505 - 08/08/2016 00:31:16    1897767

Link

Gavin needs to get right in his ear and soon. We need him on the pitch. He has been very retrained most of the time which isn't easy when you're being targeted and you have that bit of a dark nature yourself. Can't be easy to control, but there's two matches left so I hope he can wrap his head around that.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 08/08/2016 02:29:22    1897782

Link

Wayne you obviously haven't looked at it properly cause his arm is not high or around his neck when he challenges for the ball. That's all I'm saying I'm leaving at that, actually one more thing his two points from play where different clas left n right foot. Ah I see Sean Cavanagh was sent off on Saturday I wonder who was marking him???

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 08/08/2016 09:27:11    1897813

Link

sean cavanagh first yellow card was a disgrace
keegan set out and hauled him to the ground
cavanagh actually done nothing at all
he was been held to the ground and didnt even try and defend himself which makes it all the worse
that he was given a yellow card too.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 08/08/2016 10:23:52    1897852

Link

Replying To AHP:  "But the same problem would exist if he came on with 20/25 minutes to go. Opposition players would be lining up to provoke him and get a reaction the minute he set foot on the pitch, especially if the game was still in the balance when he arrived. Also if he has been sitting on the bench stewing over why he wasn't trusted to start his so called mental state may not be as good as you hope it may be."
They've less time to get into him though and make no bones about it but Kerry will have a list of lads ready to go and antagonise him. Once one is done they'll switch. Kerry will be ready to go at him from the throw in.

Leaving him on the line for awhile disrupts all that and would give Dublin a huge boost when he comes in.

Good point though about whether or not that would suit Connolly and maybe it wouldn't.

I just think it's an option.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12780 - 08/08/2016 11:32:58    1897908

Link

I would be very surprised if Gavin does not start Connolly. But it will need a strong ref though, not just the usual type that just react to some incident which the ref and everyone else has not seen properly. Relying on umpires who are NOT qualified ref's for any interpretation of rules etc other than lines/balls is a plague on the game. Unfortunately ref's good reputations seem to melt away when Kerry are playing.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4198 - 09/08/2016 09:22:22    1898565

Link

Anyone noticing he does a lot more interviews the last year, not many now but he use to never talk at all so a lot more for him. I find him so funny in interviews I don't know if it's cause I'm not use to hearing him speak or the way he goes on but I find myself laughing after every interview he does, anyone else get that? Or am I a bigger weirdo than I already thought I was?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 10/08/2016 12:51:41    1899356

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Anyone noticing he does a lot more interviews the last year, not many now but he use to never talk at all so a lot more for him. I find him so funny in interviews I don't know if it's cause I'm not use to hearing him speak or the way he goes on but I find myself laughing after every interview he does, anyone else get that? Or am I a bigger weirdo than I already thought I was?"
Convinced its not his voice , bit like when our Gerry used to be interviewed in the 80s

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5190 - 10/08/2016 13:01:39    1899366

Link

Does a good honest interview

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 10/08/2016 21:40:21    1899644

Link

If James comes back into the team fur Kerry who will loose out in the forwards, is there a justifiable reason why it should be dermo. Does dermo give us more than the 6 forwards who would start if he wasn't in the team? , Deano, flynner, Ciaran, berno, Kev MC, paddy, Possibly not! His scoring return in the biggest games and temperament in the biggest of games is more often not as good as the other 6 forwards . Bit of the Devils advocate here.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 13/08/2016 09:44:49    1900512

Link

Replying To giveme30:  "If James comes back into the team fur Kerry who will loose out in the forwards, is there a justifiable reason why it should be dermo. Does dermo give us more than the 6 forwards who would start if he wasn't in the team? , Deano, flynner, Ciaran, berno, Kev MC, paddy, Possibly not! His scoring return in the biggest games and temperament in the biggest of games is more often not as good as the other 6 forwards . Bit of the Devils advocate here."
Haha seriously he could have won the game in his own by half time last week.
You be mad to drop him.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 13/08/2016 19:21:43    1900639

Link

You couldn't drop him, you have to gamble on his temperament, he is too big a distraction for the opposition not to have him on the field. Believe me, anytime he gets his hands on the ball, the other side are saying 'oh sh*t'!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 14/08/2016 00:58:51    1900721

Link

Dermo dropped are you freaking kidding me, give over this ridiculous Sprite talk, Connolly is first name down on the team sheet, end of discussion.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/08/2016 23:00:03    1901046

Link

clondalkin dub speaks, without saying a whole pile, so we must obey. tell me clondalkin, what does dermo gives us over and above any of the other 6 forwards?

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 15/08/2016 16:42:39    1901370

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A314BFCohEA

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 11/09/2016 21:02:29    1912901

Link