Dublin Forum

Most successful Dublin Secondary School...

(Oldest Posts First)

...for producing Dublin Senior footballers?

Just off the subject of heated champo talk, had a bar chat with my father in law (ex Joeys Fairview)
who listed a rake of ex Dublin senior footballers from back in the day that went to school there.

However, he and i couldnt think of any recent ex Joeys players. Can anyone out there?

My own school (Ardscoil Ris Marino) has Connolly and Costello currently playing. With Mossy and Whelo in recent times too.

Can anyone think of the Dublin Secondary School that has produced the most Dublin senior footballers in recent times?

Ballymun? Whatever school the brogans went to?

HenryHill16 (Dublin) - Posts: 249 - 04/08/2016 10:02:38    1895195

Link

Replying To HenryHill16:  "...for producing Dublin Senior footballers?

Just off the subject of heated champo talk, had a bar chat with my father in law (ex Joeys Fairview)
who listed a rake of ex Dublin senior footballers from back in the day that went to school there.

However, he and i couldnt think of any recent ex Joeys players. Can anyone out there?

My own school (Ardscoil Ris Marino) has Connolly and Costello currently playing. With Mossy and Whelo in recent times too.

Can anyone think of the Dublin Secondary School that has produced the most Dublin senior footballers in recent times?

Ballymun? Whatever school the brogans went to?"
Benildus has a few current players on the Dublin panel. David Byrne and Paul Mannion. Ray Cosgrove and Craig Dias also went there.

I'm sure there are more past pupils that played for the Dubs but can't think of them off the top of my head.

If we were to do the same for Dublin hurling I'd say Colaiste Eoin would have to be up there. Think they've 8 or 9 on the current Dublin panel not to mention players that recently left (Sutcliffe and Cronin)

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 04/08/2016 11:31:32    1895289

Link

Replying To HenryHill16:  "...for producing Dublin Senior footballers?

Ballymun? Whatever school the brogans went to?"
The Brogan's went to St Declan's in Cabra i believe.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 04/08/2016 12:08:27    1895327

Link

Replying To CroiGorm:  "The Brogan's went to St Declan's in Cabra i believe."
The geographic spread of football is such that players would be spread thinly over a large pool of schools. Gaelscoils would probably attract players from a wide area for instance Ciaran Kilkenny went to school in Scoil Catriona in Glasnevin. As already mentioned Colaiste Eoin would be a good bet given it is Irish speaking, its academic reputation and its geography.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4215 - 09/08/2016 09:29:05    1898566

Link