Dublin Forum

Dublin strategic rethink?

(Oldest Posts First)

I know this may not go down well with some..

But with the probable loss of James McCarthy on top of Rory/Jack

Do you think Dublin may need to look at things again?

Our attacking options from the half back line have been greatly diminished

It was worth pushing players like Jack and James forward because it was worth the risk

We have to face up to it now, we are substantially weaker in defence now, it will be exposed.

Do we need to look at protecting ourselves better now?

Shore up the defence in the knowledge that we still have the talent up front that can do serious damage

We may not score as much but IMO we can still score enough to win

What optons do we have to protect ourselves against the long ball

What if DB went in there under the high ball? We have seen PF playing well under the high ball in the full back line

What if MDMC went back in there.. could we look at a more defensive setup with players getting behind the ball and then breaking at pace fro turn overs

I think we may have to sacrifice options in certain areas to make up for the defence being weaker, we're currently top heavy.

I'm not talking about going back to 2011.. but Gilroy moved players around to do a certain strategic job.

I think we may have to re-think things in a similar fashion...

We have lots of forward options and not enough defensive ones. IMO Gavin will need to bolster our current defence

There are options to be considered, we have the cover up front to possibly think outside the box a bit...

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 19/07/2016 19:36:45    1886613

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "I know this may not go down well with some..

But with the probable loss of James McCarthy on top of Rory/Jack

Do you think Dublin may need to look at things again?

Our attacking options from the half back line have been greatly diminished

It was worth pushing players like Jack and James forward because it was worth the risk

We have to face up to it now, we are substantially weaker in defence now, it will be exposed.

Do we need to look at protecting ourselves better now?

Shore up the defence in the knowledge that we still have the talent up front that can do serious damage

We may not score as much but IMO we can still score enough to win

What optons do we have to protect ourselves against the long ball

What if DB went in there under the high ball? We have seen PF playing well under the high ball in the full back line

What if MDMC went back in there.. could we look at a more defensive setup with players getting behind the ball and then breaking at pace fro turn overs

I think we may have to sacrifice options in certain areas to make up for the defence being weaker, we're currently top heavy.

I'm not talking about going back to 2011.. but Gilroy moved players around to do a certain strategic job.

I think we may have to re-think things in a similar fashion...

We have lots of forward options and not enough defensive ones. IMO Gavin will need to bolster our current defence

There are options to be considered, we have the cover up front to possibly think outside the box a bit..."
Relevant enough worries but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water , it's one player not three , Jack n roc aren't out they were never in , every game played this year was Knowing who was available, Jim Gavin doesn't do panic , he does trust and you bet he trusts his players and back ground staff even if we don't , there maybe tweaking but that's it . We decide to change style and we could become a mess.Styles are honed over time , look at the likes of Kildare when they tried to adopt a more defensive approach overnight.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 19/07/2016 20:57:07    1886648

Link

Ciarán Kilkenny was wing back for the 2nd half on Sunday.

I know it's been seen more as Gavin going all out attack but maybe it's looking toward what might happen in the quarter/semi.

CK has the football in him to play the James Mc role imo.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12844 - 19/07/2016 21:11:09    1886659

Link

no way man no need to change tac now.
not defo mccarthy gone as gavin said he expects him to be available today.
anyway gavin showed tactical ability on sunday when taking off a defender and putting on a forward for him
it was a brilliant change as they identified westmeath were playing two sweepers the whole time
so ciaran kilkenny could effectively operate between the two 45s untouched and set up all the attacks.
we play mostly against teams who set up like westmeath with extra men back which plays into our hands
so why not play extra attackers instead of defenders

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 19/07/2016 21:20:06    1886662

Link

You're basically robbing Peter to pay Paul there.

No chance of there being major adjustments to the tactics/personnel now.

Its far, far too late in the day to start dickin about experimentin and fidgeting

Its straight knock out now, JG will stick to his guns and continue the way he and the team have done all year.

The loss of Rory and Jack in particular is something JG and his backroom team will have known about for a long time and there is/was nothing throughout the OBC, league and championship to suggest to me anyway that we are going to radically change our style to shore up those two departures.

The loss now of James McCarthy is a bit of a spanner in the works, But that's luck, We've been lucky to remain injury free to key players over a long period of time, But its a part of sport and we now must continue to work with what weve got, not worry about what we're missing

Jim Gavin, his backroom team, and everyone associated with the panel will just plough on with what they have available, and continue with what has been working.

While I accept we haven't been tested defensively in Leinster, and the league and championship cant really be compared, Our defence, while not being sensational, has been okay. Bigger tests will lie ahead though and we will just see how things work out.

Personally, while I am a bit disappointed in the loss of McCarthy, I am really excited to see how we perform from here. I really look forward to seeing who comes in (likely the same back 6 that started v WM) and how they apply themselves.

If we are going to win this thing, We are going to do it the hard way without some key players. That's what I want. I have longed for this team to be tested by the best of the rest, We are going to see it now.

No fear, No nervousness, No trepidation. Lets just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

We'll either win it, Or we wont. Its out of our hands so lets just stop worrying and trust in the management and panel, who we've all raved about for so long, to just go out the next day and get the job done and take it one step at a time.

This is starting to get interesting... :D

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13508 - 19/07/2016 21:31:32    1886674

Link

I agree we should be cautious obviously, but I still think we're the best team out there, just not by as much. Dublin are still the best at retaining possession with patience to wait for the right option even if there are less runners this year, more points less goals I would say. We're in for a couple of nail biters if we're to do it.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 19/07/2016 22:15:50    1886709

Link

We play as we play and if we lose it was still the right call , I will say it now the time for experiments is the O Byrne cup n league , lads have a style that is built in , automatic , of course as half time proved they also have adaptability but their instincts' are the same ,
should we falter it will as much down to teams not setting up in the league the same way as the summer , lets be honest who really had a cut at us ? secondly the lack of quality in Leinster may bite us in the ass , we already deploy COS to do a mop up job , CK has the engine to cover a lot of ground , we go any more defensive and we will kill our attack.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 20/07/2016 11:02:04    1886868

Link

Exactly.

This panic being generated by hysterical fans is a bit over the top.

We are still in a great position to retain our AI crown.

And I think if we beat Donegal/Mayo in the quarter final, we will retain it.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13508 - 20/07/2016 15:48:13    1887103

Link

Yeah all solid points but I'd disagree slightly...

IMO Gavin will have it covered alright and that will mean certain players doing a strategic job

I'd fully expect to see a couple of slight tactical changes when the need arises

Make no mistake we'll be targeted in that area, and you will see Gavin looking to counter that, because as it stands if we don't have cover in there we will ship scores

Against the likes of Donegal/ Mayo/ Kerry - you'll see Flynner/MDMC/ DB drop back in deeper to help out

We've already seen these players dropping deep to counter long ball in the past and there's far more of a need for it now

We were so well balanced last year, we're a bit top heavy now but yeah I'm very confident that Gavin will put that right

There's def a job that needs to be done.. leaving it as it is would be stupid.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 21/07/2016 13:09:52    1887588

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Yeah all solid points but I'd disagree slightly...

IMO Gavin will have it covered alright and that will mean certain players doing a strategic job

I'd fully expect to see a couple of slight tactical changes when the need arises

Make no mistake we'll be targeted in that area, and you will see Gavin looking to counter that, because as it stands if we don't have cover in there we will ship scores

Against the likes of Donegal/ Mayo/ Kerry - you'll see Flynner/MDMC/ DB drop back in deeper to help out

We've already seen these players dropping deep to counter long ball in the past and there's far more of a need for it now

We were so well balanced last year, we're a bit top heavy now but yeah I'm very confident that Gavin will put that right

There's def a job that needs to be done.. leaving it as it is would be stupid."
Jimbo I have to be honest I dont know what point your trying to make
We when we have needed to be we have gotten plenty of men behind the ball , we currently employ COS /CK as sweepers when needed , we all know there is a question mark re high ball into full back ,we know that counties will target this area, all of this was the case before James McCartys injury , can you be more specific in what it is you think we aren't doing , or will need to do ?Me personally I already feel our goal threat is lower than last two years start going nordie and it will be down to nothing.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/07/2016 13:52:39    1887628

Link

No we don't need to go "Nordie" haha

TBH... I feckin answered my own question

Bit of a pointless thread this one!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 21/07/2016 13:58:39    1887632

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "No we don't need to go "Nordie" haha

TBH... I feckin answered my own question

Bit of a pointless thread this one!"
Your grand its something we all do on here trying to cover all our bases , truth is hindsight is wonderful and we all look a lot cleverer , some of our worst fears may yet unfold , but you have to nail your colours to the mast , for me continue as we have , defend as a team, play intelligently , don't fall into any cluchie whoorisim ie Connoly , hit with speed and run the legs off them

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/07/2016 17:24:08    1887814

Link

That Dublin fullback line is going to be tested '' The High Balls will be coming soon! I remember the league match with Cork a few months back .. Cork had a big lad that caused havoc in Dublin fullback line ,, he was catching Balls over their heads of the Dublin full backs who were trying to read the game and play out in front of their Men. I know Dublin were a bit lethargic that night but Cork kicked in quick (early) high balls into the square ( in the first half anyways ) while the Dublin Sweeper was out the field and wasn't able to get back in time to help out the full backs. Some here think O'Carroll is a huge loss? I think Dublin have plenty of lads that can come in and do a good Job and the defenders they have there at the moment are comfortable playing half back or full back. It makes no odds where they play! and these Dubs relish a tough challenge. August is almost here! I'd say Dublin are buzzing at training now and looking forward to tough challenges that are ahead against the Mayo's , Kerry's , Tyrone's and Donegal's. They know they'll have be at there best to beat these Teams.

Roll on August and 80,000 fans packed into the Staduim :-) looking forward to August and seeing the best teams battle it out.

Wexiko (Wexford) - Posts: 81 - 23/07/2016 19:50:44    1888703

Link