Dublin Forum

Dublin Club Championship '19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "We're dropping money all over the shop lads! ;) A mate got 4-1 on Boden In PP at half time to beat Judes, turnd a score in to a ton!! Fair play to him. I actually might put a sneaky score on Davis, for the final, why not, i think Boden will be roaring hot favourates, but then so were Crokes and Davis will be watching the first half VS Judes as a way of causing Boden problems.

A trully remarkable journey though, if you think back to how they were landed in SC2 a couple of years ago, really seems to have galvanized them and built momentum. Remarkable they are in a county final with no county players, especially when you consider its a county who have currently produced the greatest side to play the game. Deegan was class and Kirkby brothers as well, they are on the road a while with Davis so delighted for them.

Davis is a really good club and not that others dont as well, but they have really top dedicated volunteers out there who do some incredible work at the club, it was really touching all the interviews after the game acknowledged that and a wonderful night for the club. Its a great example of the Dublin model between the GDO's and Volunteers, as Knocklyon, Kiltipper, Tallaght is big soccer country. Hopefully this success turns a few more heads out that direction.

Yeah Rory just doesnt look the player he was, hes just off everything really, those three seasons have really left him of the pace and i wonder will or could he er get back to what he was. Who knows a full inter county traiing programme and tough winter may bring him back. From a county point of view ive always liked Andy McGowen and i think he did alright last night considering, also you can see flashes of a player in CIan O Connor, hes still very young but i can see why Jim seems to want to develop him.

How good was it to see Jim out on the pitch, kicking the ball with is little fella at half time, its a simple game if you allow yourself to enjoy it. Youd forget Jim is a as young as he actually is."
I believe Jim will have the right to allow his livestock to grave on the pitch once hes bestowed the freedom of the city

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19696 - 28/10/2019 15:10:52    2246298

Link

Replying To Kurt_Angle:  "Fair play to TD - much the better team and not flattered by the final score. KC were abject - sloppy passes, awful free kicks, dropped balls, goalie all over the shop etc. Got exactly what they deserved from the game.

On a different note, who was the commentator for the game? Did he win the gig from entering a competition on the back of a cornflakes box? Things he should note for the future:
i) it's pronounced Thomas Davis - not 'Davies' as he regularly referred to them
ii) Kilmacud are not 'Ballyboden' as he referred to them as occasionally
III) Kilmacud did not win the club AI final in 2016 as he referenced several times
He made Dessie 'tell the audience exactly what they can already see themselves' Dolan seem like a pro by comparison."
I watched the first half of the first semi-final before nipping out to Parnell Park. I remarked on just how awful he wal. Very boring disinterested style, he could inject no excitement whatsoever into his delivery and the frequent mistakes were just crass. Surely be to God, RTE have somebody better than that?

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1228 - 28/10/2019 15:14:48    2246299

Link

Congrats to Boden, hard to argue that' they have been the best team in the county this year. Davis's were great and nothing in it for desire, fight and commitment p, Boden just had that bit more quality in the team and panel on the day. Hopefully Davis this as a spring board and come again. Great for the club.

I'd fancy Boden for Leinster given their experience, depth and quality, they have had some tough tests coming out of Dublin, but you never know in the club game.

Congrats to RT Lusk terrific year and a great game today Vs WHCC, great game of ball.

From a county point of view I'd have a serious look at Eoghan O Donnell at WHCC for County Football, lad definitely has the quality, he's played the last four seasons with the Hurlers though so might be a no go.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3015 - 03/11/2019 22:40:37    2247538

Link

Got to hand it to Round Towers. This year was their first ever year in Div Two and now it will be their first ever year in Div One. Average age 22! The club chairman read out a letter that was written by the committee in 2002. At that time the first team was struggling in Div 5, second team had disbanded due to numbers, no U21, minor, u16 or u14 team in the club. They resolved to do something about it. The 4 signatories of letter were there yesterday. 2 had sons playing. Unreal night last night in Clubhouse. Kids getting selfies and autographs off these lads and another generation is inspired. All local lads, no magic bullet. Just good under age structures from top to bottom.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 04/11/2019 15:09:43    2247679

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Congrats to Boden, hard to argue that' they have been the best team in the county this year. Davis's were great and nothing in it for desire, fight and commitment p, Boden just had that bit more quality in the team and panel on the day. Hopefully Davis this as a spring board and come again. Great for the club.

I'd fancy Boden for Leinster given their experience, depth and quality, they have had some tough tests coming out of Dublin, but you never know in the club game.

Congrats to RT Lusk terrific year and a great game today Vs WHCC, great game of ball.

From a county point of view I'd have a serious look at Eoghan O Donnell at WHCC for County Football, lad definitely has the quality, he's played the last four seasons with the Hurlers though so might be a no go."
Eoghan O'Donnell should be a no go.

Far too important to the hurlers.

Hands off!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12745 - 04/11/2019 19:38:31    2247743

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Eoghan O'Donnell should be a no go.

Hands off!"
I would think it's a no go alright and like you say he's vital for our Hurlers definitely, still the lad is a talented footballer, really stood out for me yesterday.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3015 - 04/11/2019 22:55:15    2247802

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Eoghan O'Donnell should be a no go.

Hands off!"
Ha well said

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19696 - 05/11/2019 10:53:49    2247857

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "I would think it's a no go alright and like you say he's vital for our Hurlers definitely, still the lad is a talented footballer, really stood out for me yesterday."
Yeah he played well on Sun. WC's best player on the day but he's arguably the best full back in the country.

It'd be quite sad if he played football imo.

In the way that it's great when we see Con ripping apart some football full back and leaving him in a daze, but it's always tinged with a bit of sadness that we'll never see him do it in a blue geansaí with hurl in hand.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12745 - 05/11/2019 20:34:38    2247975

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Yeah he played well on Sun. WC's best player on the day but he's arguably the best full back in the country.

It'd be quite sad if he played football imo.

In the way that it's great when we see Con ripping apart some football full back and leaving him in a daze, but it's always tinged with a bit of sadness that we'll never see him do it in a blue geansaí with hurl in hand."
Or the cautionary tale of Mark Schutte.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3015 - 06/11/2019 12:15:11    2248100

Link

Ballyboden roll on, 14 man win yesterday, Collie Basquel scoring 1-4 from play, racking up some amount of scores from play with club this weather. It could be a big year for him, with space opening up in the panel with O Gara and Bernard retiring.

Presuming he sticks around that is, he played for Chicago last summer after opting off the panel.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3015 - 11/11/2019 11:25:45    2249027

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Ballyboden roll on, 14 man win yesterday, Collie Basquel scoring 1-4 from play, racking up some amount of scores from play with club this weather. It could be a big year for him, with space opening up in the panel with O Gara and Bernard retiring.

Presuming he sticks around that is, he played for Chicago last summer after opting off the panel."
He must be leading goal scorer across the 4 province's ? Has to be right up there and some of them have been crucial scores when they were needed the most.

That's his 5th goal already given there's a possible few more games ahead for him. He is moving brilliantly and brought that form into Leinster Championship.

Very impressive, like many id be a fan of his. Great positional sense, clever football head and for me one of the best finishers I've seen in blue since BB. He's got the eye for it.

No doubt very promising form and another valuable option.

He's already impressed under Gavin. Hope he commits to the cause next year.

Classy footballer and he's on 5-15 across Bodens current run with the strong possibility of more to come. Thats heavy scoring...

Not a peep about him though wha ;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19696 - 11/11/2019 15:49:32    2249107

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "He must be leading goal scorer across the 4 province's ? Has to be right up there and some of them have been crucial scores when they were needed the most.

That's his 5th goal already given there's a possible few more games ahead for him. He is moving brilliantly and brought that form into Leinster Championship.

Very impressive, like many id be a fan of his. Great positional sense, clever football head and for me one of the best finishers I've seen in blue since BB. He's got the eye for it.

No doubt very promising form and another valuable option.

He's already impressed under Gavin. Hope he commits to the cause next year.

Classy footballer and he's on 5-15 across Bodens current run with the strong possibility of more to come. Thats heavy scoring...

Not a peep about him though wha ;)"
He has to be up there defo, but i think his performnces are that bit more to be admired given the standard of the Dublin championship and the teams Ballyboden played on the way.

23 now and i think the panel might open up a bit for him now, with Berno, Eoghan and Flynner all going this year. he and McHugh fit that space of speedy skillful forward that can operate in tight space vacated by Berno. Looks like hes stepping it up through the club championship with the aim of having a big year, if Ballyboden go on he might miss the league though.

I wonder did he look at it over in Chicago and see Paddy Small (as much as i like Paddy) coming on in the final and thinking that could have been him, still never any harm to travel.

Ha ha, no hype at all, suits us down to the ground, that other thread is hilarious on the main page, exactly what we want expectations through the roof and we go quietly about our business, total meltdowns, id steer clear of the south west Jim, i think there might be a fatwa out on you going on the number of lads who melted down at you. Admin blocked any of my posts in that thread, must have thought it was getting a bit hot and heavy, all good fun. ;)

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3015 - 12/11/2019 10:18:25    2249200

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "He has to be up there defo, but i think his performnces are that bit more to be admired given the standard of the Dublin championship and the teams Ballyboden played on the way.

23 now and i think the panel might open up a bit for him now, with Berno, Eoghan and Flynner all going this year. he and McHugh fit that space of speedy skillful forward that can operate in tight space vacated by Berno. Looks like hes stepping it up through the club championship with the aim of having a big year, if Ballyboden go on he might miss the league though.

I wonder did he look at it over in Chicago and see Paddy Small (as much as i like Paddy) coming on in the final and thinking that could have been him, still never any harm to travel.

Ha ha, no hype at all, suits us down to the ground, that other thread is hilarious on the main page, exactly what we want expectations through the roof and we go quietly about our business, total meltdowns, id steer clear of the south west Jim, i think there might be a fatwa out on you going on the number of lads who melted down at you. Admin blocked any of my posts in that thread, must have thought it was getting a bit hot and heavy, all good fun. ;)"
Not even worth discussing chief

Funny though

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19696 - 12/11/2019 11:51:25    2249222

Link

Collie will most certainly be back in the squad this year and should play some part in the league even if Boden managed to get to a club final it will be over and done with a lot earlier this year. I'd also say Ryan Basquel is worth another good look at. He is moving impressively well and Anthony Rainbow has commented this week how big a plus both of them not having been with the county last year meaning they are fresh and hungry as ever at club level now. Ryan also got injured at an unfortunate time last year and was subsequently released from the panel in the pre-championship cut. There's also something about a forward with a sweet left peg that I just love!! Someone mentioned McHugh above..is it a make or break year for him next year? At 25 he has made little or no inroads to the starting 15 or even as steady feature from the bench come championship time. His ability is not in question but for some reason he seems to have stagnated over the past couple of years. I know competition in that forward line for Dublin is ridiculous but as Paddy Small and to a certain degree Bugler then also showed there are spots up for grabs for lads to make an impact from the bench and from there who knows where you could get to. Big year ahead and with Basquel (maybe both) back in the shake up and then throw in perhaps Archer from the 20s competition even with the recent retirements is going to be unbelievably high.

TrueBlue35 (Dublin) - Posts: 155 - 13/11/2019 13:58:46    2249442

Link

Replying To TrueBlue35:  "Collie will most certainly be back in the squad this year and should play some part in the league even if Boden managed to get to a club final it will be over and done with a lot earlier this year. I'd also say Ryan Basquel is worth another good look at. He is moving impressively well and Anthony Rainbow has commented this week how big a plus both of them not having been with the county last year meaning they are fresh and hungry as ever at club level now. Ryan also got injured at an unfortunate time last year and was subsequently released from the panel in the pre-championship cut. There's also something about a forward with a sweet left peg that I just love!! Someone mentioned McHugh above..is it a make or break year for him next year? At 25 he has made little or no inroads to the starting 15 or even as steady feature from the bench come championship time. His ability is not in question but for some reason he seems to have stagnated over the past couple of years. I know competition in that forward line for Dublin is ridiculous but as Paddy Small and to a certain degree Bugler then also showed there are spots up for grabs for lads to make an impact from the bench and from there who knows where you could get to. Big year ahead and with Basquel (maybe both) back in the shake up and then throw in perhaps Archer from the 20s competition even with the recent retirements is going to be unbelievably high."
Bang on the money, i forgot the club championships were finishing earlier this year. So bodes well for Collie.

The Dublin forward line is the toughest to crack in the game, there are almost three tiers.

1) Howard, Kilkenny, Scully, Mannion, Con, Rock.

Underneath that then you have a supremely talented group, who can impact and challenge those starting spots:

2) Dermo (if he sticks around), Cormac, Macker, Andrews.

Then you have a fluid bunch of potential fighting it out for oppurtunites

3) McHugh, Collie, P Small, Bugler.

Then you may have lads with hopes of getting onto the panel this year: Archer, Ryan Basquel, Doran, McGarry and Cormac Howley. I also like Steven Smith at Skerries but i think he might be a bit light for intercounty.

We might see Archer in the league, but hes still 18 or 19 still and has another year at U 20 grade, personally id prefer to see him play the championship at U20. Might be brought in to train with the Seniors this but play with the U20s until the ned of their championship year like POCB.

Any of Collie, Small, Bugler can kick on and get up to tier 2 after all impressing in the last 12 months. With the retirements i think that what they will be trying to do.

I like Ryan Basquel i think he has a touch of the Alans about him and a bit of maverick, i think he takes some risks at times and i think that counts against him with Gavin risk adverse approach, wonderful player mind and i wouldn't be opposed to him being given a fling in the league.

Doran and McGarry i can see in the O Byrne cup and if they impress who knows. Cormac Howley is one to keep an eye on he has many natural attributes in terms of size, physicality, toughness, engine and ability to field and score that would turn your head at inter county and would appeal to Gavin, i think he might look for a player like that as i wouldn't be surprised to begin to Howard at midfield or 6 going on, but that just an opinion/suspicion of mine.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3015 - 13/11/2019 14:47:52    2249465

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Bang on the money, i forgot the club championships were finishing earlier this year. So bodes well for Collie.

The Dublin forward line is the toughest to crack in the game, there are almost three tiers.

1) Howard, Kilkenny, Scully, Mannion, Con, Rock.

Underneath that then you have a supremely talented group, who can impact and challenge those starting spots:

2) Dermo (if he sticks around), Cormac, Macker, Andrews.

Then you have a fluid bunch of potential fighting it out for oppurtunites

3) McHugh, Collie, P Small, Bugler.

Then you may have lads with hopes of getting onto the panel this year: Archer, Ryan Basquel, Doran, McGarry and Cormac Howley. I also like Steven Smith at Skerries but i think he might be a bit light for intercounty.

We might see Archer in the league, but hes still 18 or 19 still and has another year at U 20 grade, personally id prefer to see him play the championship at U20. Might be brought in to train with the Seniors this but play with the U20s until the ned of their championship year like POCB.

Any of Collie, Small, Bugler can kick on and get up to tier 2 after all impressing in the last 12 months. With the retirements i think that what they will be trying to do.

I like Ryan Basquel i think he has a touch of the Alans about him and a bit of maverick, i think he takes some risks at times and i think that counts against him with Gavin risk adverse approach, wonderful player mind and i wouldn't be opposed to him being given a fling in the league.

Doran and McGarry i can see in the O Byrne cup and if they impress who knows. Cormac Howley is one to keep an eye on he has many natural attributes in terms of size, physicality, toughness, engine and ability to field and score that would turn your head at inter county and would appeal to Gavin, i think he might look for a player like that as i wouldn't be surprised to begin to Howard at midfield or 6 going on, but that just an opinion/suspicion of mine."
Great breakdown of the levels and can't disagree with any of that. It's just such a tough line to break into and really that first 6 are not being broken up unless there are injuries or a drastic dip in form for someone. I can already hear the groans around the country when the bench next year has a few new names as you've mentioned appear and start to make an impact :)

TrueBlue35 (Dublin) - Posts: 155 - 13/11/2019 16:16:58    2249484

Link

It's the back 6 that needs the new blood as a matter of future proofing things.

Philly, Cian slowing a wee bit still plenty to offer but it's only natural, you can't stay peak forever

James and Mick not young anymore and it won't be too long until the inevitable slow down

It's the oldest line with the most milage.

Incredible servants but time waits for no man

Up front they've plenty of options alright and it's most encouraging but yeah there's a bit of work to be done back there

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19696 - 13/11/2019 19:29:40    2249523

Link