Dublin Forum

Dublin Team 2

(Oldest Posts First)

With the amount of top class footballers being produced, lads working their arses off to play at such a high level (look at the Underdogs game and players available i.e Smith, Gavin, Byrne etc etc ) it's a shame that their talents and the talent of others may never be put on display representing Dublin

I'd personally be in favour of a 2nd Dublin team (Dubh Linn / Ath Cliath) taking part in the championship

It would obviously require funding etc and from that perspective it's probably unrealistic to have two teams but it's a shame that Dublin GAA are producing quality footballers that will probably never get to fully express themselves at a National Inter county level

Many of which would be capable of playing IC football for most counties and they'd be delighted to have such quality available

I actually think they'd be well supported but not sure what you'd feel if Dublin took on Ath Cliath..

I know there's plenty of holes to pick at with the suggestion but again I just think it's a shame that more Dublin footballers can't take part and represent themselves and their clubs at the highest level.

Looking forward to the O'Byrne and supporting those lads and their commitment/effort.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 21/10/2018 09:55:13    2147438

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "With the amount of top class footballers being produced, lads working their arses off to play at such a high level (look at the Underdogs game and players available i.e Smith, Gavin, Byrne etc etc ) it's a shame that their talents and the talent of others may never be put on display representing Dublin

I'd personally be in favour of a 2nd Dublin team (Dubh Linn / Ath Cliath) taking part in the championship

It would obviously require funding etc and from that perspective it's probably unrealistic to have two teams but it's a shame that Dublin GAA are producing quality footballers that will probably never get to fully express themselves at a National Inter county level

Many of which would be capable of playing IC football for most counties and they'd be delighted to have such quality available

I actually think they'd be well supported but not sure what you'd feel if Dublin took on Ath Cliath..

I know there's plenty of holes to pick at with the suggestion but again I just think it's a shame that more Dublin footballers can't take part and represent themselves and their clubs at the highest level.

Looking forward to the O'Byrne and supporting those lads and their commitment/effort."
Its a high bar at the moment, but that will ebb and flow throughout the years. The thing i took from that game on Friday is that whatever work is being done down through the level or at club, by god its excellent and cohesive work to an over all strategy toward the county team.

I know those underdog lads were off a standard but the Dublin lads looked like they were from a different planet in terms of skills, strength and conditioning and athleticism all wrapped up in a cohesive encapsulating of playing " The Dublin Way".

Im not so sure some of those lads wont be involved in senior i picked a few if they slog out in the O B cup and represent themselves well could be more then confident of league mins and from their any thing goes.

Is there a team that gives more opportunity to youth then Dublin? Kerry were much vaunted last year for about 6 or 7 championship debuts, i made Dublin at about the same number. I dont see that approach changing wither and Friday did nothing to persuade me that the talent is coming to a halt despite a poor showing in the younger grades last year by our own standards.

Smith and Gavin really impressed me, Smith in particular looked like a young Bernard or an Ian Burke from Galway, he did a job on Na Fianna and Jonny Cooper for Skerries scoring 1-7 a few weeks back and 0-6 against Fingallians. Byrne has pedigree. Doran and McGarry werent there and they are two i would have tipped most likely to break through, Lynch-Bissett and O Cofaigh Byrne others. But i would temper my expectations on those on Friday given the low standard of the underdogs.

Personally i would be against a second Dublin team in the championship, anything that dilutes or presents the idea of a split im against. I think the possibility of in the league is something or if there was a B Championship in years to come, but i could see our country cousins being up in arms about Dublin feeder teams.

If you are interested here are some of Smiths points Vs Na Fianna and Cooper, the lad has a real shot in my opinion.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/stephen-smith-177585

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3090 - 21/10/2018 13:02:39    2147458

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Its a high bar at the moment, but that will ebb and flow throughout the years. The thing i took from that game on Friday is that whatever work is being done down through the level or at club, by god its excellent and cohesive work to an over all strategy toward the county team.

I know those underdog lads were off a standard but the Dublin lads looked like they were from a different planet in terms of skills, strength and conditioning and athleticism all wrapped up in a cohesive encapsulating of playing " The Dublin Way".

Im not so sure some of those lads wont be involved in senior i picked a few if they slog out in the O B cup and represent themselves well could be more then confident of league mins and from their any thing goes.

Is there a team that gives more opportunity to youth then Dublin? Kerry were much vaunted last year for about 6 or 7 championship debuts, i made Dublin at about the same number. I dont see that approach changing wither and Friday did nothing to persuade me that the talent is coming to a halt despite a poor showing in the younger grades last year by our own standards.

Smith and Gavin really impressed me, Smith in particular looked like a young Bernard or an Ian Burke from Galway, he did a job on Na Fianna and Jonny Cooper for Skerries scoring 1-7 a few weeks back and 0-6 against Fingallians. Byrne has pedigree. Doran and McGarry werent there and they are two i would have tipped most likely to break through, Lynch-Bissett and O Cofaigh Byrne others. But i would temper my expectations on those on Friday given the low standard of the underdogs.

Personally i would be against a second Dublin team in the championship, anything that dilutes or presents the idea of a split im against. I think the possibility of in the league is something or if there was a B Championship in years to come, but i could see our country cousins being up in arms about Dublin feeder teams.

If you are interested here are some of Smiths points Vs Na Fianna and Cooper, the lad has a real shot in my opinion.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/stephen-smith-177585"
Cheers for posting that
He's got some skills!
Can kick off either foot from distance and looks comfortable in front of goal and can finish with a touch of class (as was also seen the other night) he's also not afraid to take on his man with pace and beat him.

What I also liked against the Underdogs was his unselfishness, clever player. Could have easily taken the glory option to bolster himself but went for the higher % option to guarantee the score.

All in all very promising and if selected I hope he continues that sort of form in the O'Byrne cup because if he does he might get some time in the league to impress further

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 21/10/2018 18:46:57    2147500

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Cheers for posting that
He's got some skills!
Can kick off either foot from distance and looks comfortable in front of goal and can finish with a touch of class (as was also seen the other night) he's also not afraid to take on his man with pace and beat him.

What I also liked against the Underdogs was his unselfishness, clever player. Could have easily taken the glory option to bolster himself but went for the higher % option to guarantee the score.

All in all very promising and if selected I hope he continues that sort of form in the O'Byrne cup because if he does he might get some time in the league to impress further"
His Dad is Peter Smith who was one of the top players for Westmeath during the 80s/90s.

He also played for Skerries when he moved from Westmeath.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3090 - 21/10/2018 20:41:26    2147524

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "His Dad is Peter Smith who was one of the top players for Westmeath during the 80s/90s.

He also played for Skerries when he moved from Westmeath."
Fantastic players on display against the underdogs and some were giants!! They took off the big name players but it didn't effect their dominance at all.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 905 - 22/10/2018 10:21:16    2147609

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "His Dad is Peter Smith who was one of the top players for Westmeath during the 80s/90s.

He also played for Skerries when he moved from Westmeath."
Having such pedigree in your DNA doesn't always guarantee you being a good footballer but when it works it's no doubt a natural advantage for numerous reasons as can be seen on the current Dublin panel. Rock, Brogan, McCarthy, McCaffrey etc

Best of luck to the young lad. Much tougher testes await ahead but he's off to a great start, shined brightly in the championship and made a very encouraging debut for Dublin. Hopefully that guaranteed him an O'Byrne cup start and from there look at what Scully was able to achieve.

I remember watching Scully in PP against DCU I think it was and he stood out a mile. I got a similar feeling watching Gavin and Smith (albeit against lesser opposition)

Let's see if they can have a similar impact. Like you I think they could be capable of it but far from easy given the task at hand.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 22/10/2018 10:39:51    2147618

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Having such pedigree in your DNA doesn't always guarantee you being a good footballer but when it works it's no doubt a natural advantage for numerous reasons as can be seen on the current Dublin panel. Rock, Brogan, McCarthy, McCaffrey etc

Best of luck to the young lad. Much tougher testes await ahead but he's off to a great start, shined brightly in the championship and made a very encouraging debut for Dublin. Hopefully that guaranteed him an O'Byrne cup start and from there look at what Scully was able to achieve.

I remember watching Scully in PP against DCU I think it was and he stood out a mile. I got a similar feeling watching Gavin and Smith (albeit against lesser opposition)

Let's see if they can have a similar impact. Like you I think they could be capable of it but far from easy given the task at hand."
Just on the lineage piece Jim, Darren Gavin is the son of Galway 98 All Ireland winner Fergal.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3090 - 22/10/2018 11:25:59    2147634

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Just on the lineage piece Jim, Darren Gavin is the son of Galway 98 All Ireland winner Fergal."
lol

Feck sake.. nice one

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 22/10/2018 14:56:14    2147699

Link

Darren Gavin looks a potential future partner for Fenton, he'll be great, he must be around 6 foot seven?

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 905 - 23/10/2018 15:00:19    2147918

Link

Replying To FOB:  "Darren Gavin looks a potential future partner for Fenton, he'll be great, he must be around 6 foot seven?"
He's a big lad alright but can also cover ground with pace

With ball in hand he reminds me of a young Pat Gilroy

His performance against Galway I'm the 2017 U21 final was very impressive

I agree with you. Himself and Fenton would be a pairing that Is like to see tested one day, but he's a long road ahead of him

He will hopefully get OBC game time to prove himself further

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 23/10/2018 16:21:07    2147933

Link

To be honest and I mean no disrespect to the man, after all he brought us through to the glory days, but I hope he's a better player than Pat was :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 23/10/2018 21:30:56    2147992

Link

I'd be opposed to a second Dublin team , it would IMO devalue the jersey , in the same way I am opposed to a north v south there is one Dublin only , it has to be the ultimate goal and if you come up a little short so be it , that said I'd not be opposed to entering junior intermediate competitions with lads playing against similar standard

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5191 - 25/10/2018 13:51:56    2148279

Link

Replying To realdub:  "To be honest and I mean no disrespect to the man, after all he brought us through to the glory days, but I hope he's a better player than Pat was :D"
Ha!

More body shape than footballing ability

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19785 - 25/10/2018 14:18:09    2148289

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Ha!

More body shape than footballing ability"
:D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 26/10/2018 14:37:20    2148373

Link

Is it just me or did anyone else notice Dublin never did more than 2 hand passes in a row v the underdogs? It seems they have perfected the one of the new rules anyway. I always felt that the major strength of this current crop of players is that they are so adaptive.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 905 - 28/10/2018 09:55:11    2148471

Link

Replying To realdub:  "To be honest and I mean no disrespect to the man, after all he brought us through to the glory days, but I hope he's a better player than Pat was :D"
I can remember seen Gilroy v UCD in the Dublin Club final (2006 ?) he looked like he was running on a threadmill in midfield.
I said it out loud and was surprised when I was told he played for the dubs
In fairness he did get his club all-ireland when moved to full forward after that in the next year.
I seem to remember that in the UCD game they had Divilly from galway on the bench and a westmeath intercounty fella it was ridiculous.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 28/10/2018 13:22:04    2148489

Link

As I said in another post Cormac Howley from Lusk deserves a run.
Fearless great compure and skill already plays minor for the Dubs.
I hope Jim Gavin had a scout at the Intermediate final.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 28/10/2018 13:26:42    2148490

Link