Dublin Forum

The splitting up of Dublin

(Oldest Posts First)

As Brendan Behan once said "the first item on the agenda in any Irish organisation is the split or words to that effect". - granted its not on the agenda ..yet, but if Dubs keep winning, it could hove into view.

After all commentators in olden games said the ban would never go, Rule 21 PSNI/British soldiers playing the games, opening up Croke Park to soccer/rugby would never happen and they all did. So as the Leaving Cert questions, back in my day used to say "Discuss"

festy_o_semtex (UK) - Posts: 67 - 21/09/2017 22:17:45    2049192

Link

Replying To festy_o_semtex:  "As Brendan Behan once said "the first item on the agenda in any Irish organisation is the split or words to that effect". - granted its not on the agenda ..yet, but if Dubs keep winning, it could hove into view.

After all commentators in olden games said the ban would never go, Rule 21 PSNI/British soldiers playing the games, opening up Croke Park to soccer/rugby would never happen and they all did. So as the Leaving Cert questions, back in my day used to say "Discuss""
A split would have major consequences and could ultimately dilute and set Dublin football back for generations. Or would it be Dublin football? What would it be?

any split would need a county team area that people identify with and are willing to dream of playing for. The only viable split is north and south and if successful, would create two superpowers and take the weaker counties one team further from glory. I'd imagine a confused sense of loyalty as plenty would identify with both as ultimately Dublin is Dublin. Go and watch Dublin south and you are following Dublin and then watch Dublin North, they are still Dubs. Itd kill the magic, the cost of creating county boards? Who will pay? New stadium? Are there enough clubs at a sufficient level on either side to create a decent club league? I doubt it. A lot to ponder.

If populations grow should we eventually divide Cork etc? 100 years down the road, the GAA would only be a city sport and counties would essentially be like clubs, there would be so many!

I get the impression that country people like the idea of just having the GAA for themselves and hopefully these bothersome dubs could just go and play soccer and rugby.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 908 - 21/09/2017 23:24:29    2049207

Link

Replying To festy_o_semtex:  "As Brendan Behan once said "the first item on the agenda in any Irish organisation is the split or words to that effect". - granted its not on the agenda ..yet, but if Dubs keep winning, it could hove into view.

After all commentators in olden games said the ban would never go, Rule 21 PSNI/British soldiers playing the games, opening up Croke Park to soccer/rugby would never happen and they all did. So as the Leaving Cert questions, back in my day used to say "Discuss""
Thanks for the effort of posting here but This won't happen alas there is nothing to discuss

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13515 - 21/09/2017 23:35:14    2049211

Link

I get the impression that country people like the idea of just having the GAA for themselves and hopefully these bothersome dubs could just go and play soccer and rugby.
FOB (Dublin) - Posts:742 - 21/09/2017 23:24:29

There's certainly something in that I think.

In anyways the culchies advocated this split are only doing so because they have been starved of their annual Christmas Day like celebration. I'm talking of course about the day Dublin get knocked out of the Championship. This has only occurred twice since 2010. That day is like oxygen for a certain type of culchie. Once they get back to having their festive celebrations once a year the talk of splitting the Dubs will decrease and disappear.

If a split were to occur what type of support would the 2 zombie teams generate?

Very little I'd imagine as no one that grew up supporting Dublin would be able to suddenly switch allegiance to a new artificially created county. Attendances would plummet and this would have a knock on effect throughout the competition. TV viewing figures would fall as would all the revenues attached.

It would take more successive waves of country migration into Dublin to build the support back up, just like it took from the 1880s to around the 1950s for the GAA to gain any foothold in the sporting conscious of the capital. There would probably be a quicker time frame than then because of the ground work that has been done but you're still looking at a 20-30 year project, and possibly even longer as there are so many competing forces in Dublin in anyways, particularly soccer. The GAA in Dublin benefited massively from the decline of the LoI from the 1950s and I know there are those in the FAI that would love for the GAA to split Dublin, talk of trying to "take back the city" etc.

You'd also end up having mass retirements from a significant number of players also who would have no interest in not playing for Dublin.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12847 - 22/09/2017 10:08:01    2049257

Link