Dublin Forum

Joe McQuillan

(Oldest Posts First)

Have to say McQuillan makes me nervous thought Anthony Nolan might have got the final. McQuillan absolutely rode us in 2012, 2013 and 2015 all games against Mayo.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 871 - 04/09/2017 17:53:45    2042652

Link

Replying To jacktheDub:  "Have to say McQuillan makes me nervous thought Anthony Nolan might have got the final. McQuillan absolutely rode us in 2012, 2013 and 2015 all games against Mayo."
Yet he gets called 'Dublin Joe'.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 04/09/2017 18:42:41    2042672

Link

There all the same to Dublin
we had a saying going out the Southside to play club games that you had to be 5 or 6 points better to make sure you win the game as you know decisions won't go your way. Much the same when your in Dublin shoes now make sure your ahead by enough.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 04/09/2017 20:03:26    2042709

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "There all the same to Dublin
we had a saying going out the Southside to play club games that you had to be 5 or 6 points better to make sure you win the game as you know decisions won't go your way. Much the same when your in Dublin shoes now make sure your ahead by enough."
Are you having a laugh. No way Dublin deserved that win today. As a neutral feel sorry for Mayo. Last year they didn't drive on enough. But this year they did and the referee came to Dublin's aid in my opinion.

LoveSam (Limerick) - Posts: 2 - 17/09/2017 18:41:30    2046878

Link

Replying To LoveSam:  "Are you having a laugh. No way Dublin deserved that win today. As a neutral feel sorry for Mayo. Last year they didn't drive on enough. But this year they did and the referee came to Dublin's aid in my opinion."
Reminds me of the days in leinster when Dublin only barely beat teams but with the refs help. 2007 comes to mind

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 17/09/2017 18:47:12    2046882

Link

The ref was grand, he did well. Thought he let Mayo away with a few fouls at the start but decisions went the other way too. Nothing was stolen, Mayo lost the game. Cillian O'Connor should have hit the ball over the bar and the Mayo forwards should have had the urgency to pounce on the ball coming back from the post near the end. There are numerous occasions that Mayo should have capitalized but they didn't. Even Rock had two frees at the start that he missed and hit a short ball that he would have ordinarily banged it over. He lifted his game and settled himself, sign of a champion! He kicked the final free with a small object being thrown at him from a Mayo player who was running very close to him while he kicked, total focus. Dublin had goal chances they didn't take. Mayo lost the game through a series of small errors. Dublin had the stronger bench, Connolly gave them a huge lift. He was the real leader that Dublin needed towards the end.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 908 - 18/09/2017 09:50:07    2047265

Link

The Ref did well overall and Mayo would have been a man up only for Vaughan lost the head.
It has been said that he missed the steps for Con's goal but he also missed the steps for Vaughan's point.

Overall The Ref did not cost Mayo the all-Ireland Mayo did.
They had the chances but did not take them.
2 points up going in the final stretch against a struggling Dublin team. How many chances do this Mayo team need?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 987 - 18/09/2017 10:08:34    2047283

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "The Ref did well overall and Mayo would have been a man up only for Vaughan lost the head.
It has been said that he missed the steps for Con's goal but he also missed the steps for Vaughan's point.

2 points up going in the final stretch against a struggling Dublin team. How many chances do this Mayo team need?"
All the talk is of poor Mayo, I am at work and it's all you hear. Very mixed messages in the media too, apparently Mayo deserved to win! Yet, at the same time, Dublin are too good! Which is it? If the opposition is always better, why continually moan about Dublin being too good?

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 908 - 18/09/2017 10:40:31    2047314

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "The Ref did well overall and Mayo would have been a man up only for Vaughan lost the head.

2 points up going in the final stretch against a struggling Dublin team. How many chances do this Mayo team need?"
you sound like you were half up for mayo to me
you dont seem to mention the fact he missed several things against dublin and only one free inside the 45 in the entire second half(75 minutes on the clock it took to get it) we got despite o callaghan being manhandled several times and yet similiar tackles were given frees for mayo down the other end to keep them in the second half when we were turning the screw, also the lead up to the free that hit the post saw a line ball go against dublin which should have been ours and from it a free given when both players were tussling and fitzimons got out in front and won the ball clearly.
not to mention cillian o connor getting away with striking cooper where they wrongly carded colm boyle for it which should have been a red for o connor, there was decisions on both sides as in any game of football that go for and against but if anybody benifitted yesterday from inconsitency in the rewarding of frees it was mayo in the second half as the same fouls occured both ends of the pitch but werent rewarded both ends of the pitch.
we wont even mention a certain object being thrown as the winning free was being kicked.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 18/09/2017 11:24:34    2047346

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "you sound like you were half up for mayo to me
you dont seem to mention the fact he missed several things against dublin and only one free inside the 45 in the entire second half(75 minutes on the clock it took to get it) we got despite o callaghan being manhandled several times and yet similiar tackles were given frees for mayo down the other end to keep them in the second half when we were turning the screw, also the lead up to the free that hit the post saw a line ball go against dublin which should have been ours and from it a free given when both players were tussling and fitzimons got out in front and won the ball clearly.
not to mention cillian o connor getting away with striking cooper where they wrongly carded colm boyle for it which should have been a red for o connor, there was decisions on both sides as in any game of football that go for and against but if anybody benifitted yesterday from inconsitency in the rewarding of frees it was mayo in the second half as the same fouls occured both ends of the pitch but werent rewarded both ends of the pitch.
we wont even mention a certain object being thrown as the winning free was being kicked."
Haha, I enjoyed that post. You never fail to surprise me with how biased your views can be. Of course Dublin got some bad calls given against them as did Mayo. The ref is human, he's going to make mistakes. From a neutral's perspective I thought the ref done okay. You're correct about the free given against Fitzsimons towards the end. That seemed a very harsh call. It was similar to the free in Dublin got on the stroke of half time which also seemed a strange call. The biggest decision the ref had to make for me was the foul on Keegan by Kilkenny. The first foul was outside the penalty area but the second foul was well inside and I found it confusing to why a penalty wasn't given. That said who is to say Mayo would of scored it. I don't think the ref favoured anyone. He let the game flow as much as possible at times and let some borderline tackles go from both teams. It wasn't an easy game to ref as there were loads of off the ball stuff going on from both teams and a few players were lucky with what the got away with. O'Connor was one of them as was O'Gara.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 447 - 18/09/2017 16:12:44    2047562

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Reminds me of the days in leinster when Dublin only barely beat teams but with the refs help. 2007 comes to mind"
Funny that.... the 2010 leinster final is one that people normally think of when they think of poor ref decisions....

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 987 - 18/09/2017 17:23:13    2047603

Link

Replying To FOB:  "The ref was grand, he did well. Thought he let Mayo away with a few fouls at the start but decisions went the other way too. Nothing was stolen, Mayo lost the game. Cillian O'Connor should have hit the ball over the bar and the Mayo forwards should have had the urgency to pounce on the ball coming back from the post near the end. There are numerous occasions that Mayo should have capitalized but they didn't. Even Rock had two frees at the start that he missed and hit a short ball that he would have ordinarily banged it over. He lifted his game and settled himself, sign of a champion! He kicked the final free with a small object being thrown at him from a Mayo player who was running very close to him while he kicked, total focus. Dublin had goal chances they didn't take. Mayo lost the game through a series of small errors. Dublin had the stronger bench, Connolly gave them a huge lift. He was the real leader that Dublin needed towards the end."
FOB... An excellent post... he could have also given Mayo a penalty but O Conners late free was very soft.... I thought he done a great job and well done to both teams for providing great entertainment at the end of an ultra drab football season

Sean.66 (Cavan) - Posts: 293 - 18/09/2017 19:36:19    2047646

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "Haha, I enjoyed that post. You never fail to surprise me with how biased your views can be. Of course Dublin got some bad calls given against them as did Mayo. The ref is human, he's going to make mistakes. From a neutral's perspective I thought the ref done okay. You're correct about the free given against Fitzsimons towards the end. That seemed a very harsh call. It was similar to the free in Dublin got on the stroke of half time which also seemed a strange call. The biggest decision the ref had to make for me was the foul on Keegan by Kilkenny. The first foul was outside the penalty area but the second foul was well inside and I found it confusing to why a penalty wasn't given. That said who is to say Mayo would of scored it. I don't think the ref favoured anyone. He let the game flow as much as possible at times and let some borderline tackles go from both teams. It wasn't an easy game to ref as there were loads of off the ball stuff going on from both teams and a few players were lucky with what the got away with. O'Connor was one of them as was O'Gara."
You must not read posts great
I was responding to the post by stating facts that like any game a ref gives decisions for and against both teams, the original poster seemed to feel mayo got hard calls, so what's wrong with responding with facts as to calls that went against Dublin. I didn't come on here being biased I simply responded to somebody else's post. Show me where what any of what I said wasn't true?

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 18/09/2017 23:00:53    2047807

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "You must not read posts great
I was responding to the post by stating facts that like any game a ref gives decisions for and against both teams, the original poster seemed to feel mayo got hard calls, so what's wrong with responding with facts as to calls that went against Dublin. I didn't come on here being biased I simply responded to somebody else's post. Show me where what any of what I said wasn't true?"
if anybody benifitted yesterday from inconsitency in the rewarding of frees it was mayo in the second half as the same fouls occured both ends of the pitch but werent rewarded both ends of the pitch.

How about this line. I know it's normal for a supporter of a team involved to have a selective memory when it comes to ref's decisions but you bring it to new levels at times. The original poster gave a very balanced opinion saying how he thought the ref done well and got it right by saying Mayo have no one to blame for losing but themselves but you somehow got the ref was hard on Mayo out of that......

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 447 - 19/09/2017 11:43:11    2047973

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "you sound like you were half up for mayo to me
we wont even mention a certain object being thrown as the winning free was being kicked."
Not as bad as the free Dublin got before half time. 2 Dublin players collide and he gives the free when 2 mayo men attempt to tackle him. I know the rules state 2 players can't tackle a player but in the few mins before this he never gave mayo forwards frees when 2+ dubs tackled them or when they were blatantly pushed in the back.

Yes mayo could still have won but as usual most of the big calls favoured mayo. When is the last time in a big game Dublin had most decisions go wrongly against them? The law of averages would suggest 50% of your matches but for some strange reason you seem to never get an overall bad referee for you.

And it's no surprise either because back between 2005-2009 when you weren't hammering teams you won so many close games because of bad biased referring.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 19/09/2017 12:12:03    2048004

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Not as bad as the free Dublin got before half time. 2 Dublin players collide and he gives the free when 2 mayo men attempt to tackle him. I know the rules state 2 players can't tackle a player but in the few mins before this he never gave mayo forwards frees when 2+ dubs tackled them or when they were blatantly pushed in the back.

Yes mayo could still have won but as usual most of the big calls favoured mayo. When is the last time in a big game Dublin had most decisions go wrongly against them? The law of averages would suggest 50% of your matches but for some strange reason you seem to never get an overall bad referee for you.

And it's no surprise either because back between 2005-2009 when you weren't hammering teams you won so many close games because of bad biased referring."
Jack off...the biggest refereeing injustice in the history off the GAA favoured your own county!!! and that ref has not been since!

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 871 - 19/09/2017 12:32:41    2048020

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "if anybody benifitted yesterday from inconsitency in the rewarding of frees it was mayo in the second half as the same fouls occured both ends of the pitch but werent rewarded both ends of the pitch.

How about this line. I know it's normal for a supporter of a team involved to have a selective memory when it comes to ref's decisions but you bring it to new levels at times. The original poster gave a very balanced opinion saying how he thought the ref done well and got it right by saying Mayo have no one to blame for losing but themselves but you somehow got the ref was hard on Mayo out of that......"
Ok i posted the reply to the wrong poster gorm my bad it wasn't ment as a reply to your post.
Everything else what I said was quite honest.
I said like any game of football calls go for and against both teams, but that one clear line was the inconsistentcy to award frees for the same tackle both ends of the field in the second half which is evidence by the fact we only got one free for that half as oppossed to several at the other end when the pulling of the attacker with ball in hand took place both ends.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 19/09/2017 14:02:22    2048065

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Not as bad as the free Dublin got before half time. 2 Dublin players collide and he gives the free when 2 mayo men attempt to tackle him. I know the rules state 2 players can't tackle a player but in the few mins before this he never gave mayo forwards frees when 2+ dubs tackled them or when they were blatantly pushed in the back.

And it's no surprise either because back between 2005-2009 when you weren't hammering teams you won so many close games because of bad biased referring."
Dear Jackoff,

Did your man Sheridan marry the ref after the Louth match ?,

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 61 - 19/09/2017 14:19:26    2048085

Link

Dear Jackoff,

Did your man Sheridan marry the ref after the Louth match ?,

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 61 - 19/09/2017 14:24:36    2048091

Link