Dublin Forum

Dubs playing catch up, but lots to be happy about.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This will do us the world of good, I was thinking the day before that I'd nearly welcome a narrow defeat.
This sets us up perfectly, we now have an added incentive, exactly what is required to sharpen up.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 10/04/2017 21:53:29    1978171

Link

Replying To realdub:  "This will do us the world of good, I was thinking the day before that I'd nearly welcome a narrow defeat.
This sets us up perfectly, we now have an added incentive, exactly what is required to sharpen up."
I hope so but it was a poor enough league by our standards. There were a few cracks appearing at the back, Monaghan and Kerry cut through us easily enough. We struggled at midfield as well, cleaned out twice by Kerry. Are we now overreliant on Kev Mc, Flynner and Andrews? Are the young fellas up to scratch, McHugh, Scully, Reddin? More questions than answers I would say. The defeat is a good thing overall but will be relying on older legs to get us over the line again?

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4130 - 11/04/2017 09:44:07    1978233

Link

Don't know how anyone can question reddin he has played midfield half back and half forward over last three games and kicked 2 points a game if I am not mistaken, I wouldn't have thaught he was up to this level over the last three years but there's no question he has improved immensely this year and has been worth his place in the team the last three games and very unlucky to be called a shore on Sunday when his midfield partner Fenton was having no impact on the game at all.
scully and McHugh have had bigger impacts on the league than Andrews and mcmannoman. I'd imagine both have scored more each than either of the other two and mcmannoman goal against roscommon aside when he has started games has been largely annonymous.
Flynn put in an impact role off the bench in tralee and a super game against roscommon but the last two matches apart from a lovely point at the very start on Sunday hasn't been imposing himself on the game at all.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 11/04/2017 10:48:15    1978270

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Don't know how anyone can question reddin he has played midfield half back and half forward over last three games and kicked 2 points a game if I am not mistaken, I wouldn't have thaught he was up to this level over the last three years but there's no question he has improved immensely this year and has been worth his place in the team the last three games and very unlucky to be called a shore on Sunday when his midfield partner Fenton was having no impact on the game at all.
scully and McHugh have had bigger impacts on the league than Andrews and mcmannoman. I'd imagine both have scored more each than either of the other two and mcmannoman goal against roscommon aside when he has started games has been largely annonymous.
Flynn put in an impact role off the bench in tralee and a super game against roscommon but the last two matches apart from a lovely point at the very start on Sunday hasn't been imposing himself on the game at all."
Hill there must be something in the water couldn't agree more.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 11/04/2017 11:24:34    1978289

Link

Dublin are hardly playing catch up! Would ya go away outta that!!!

If a Kerry person was offered a pick between the Dublin panel and the Kerry Panel most would pick the Dublin panel.
Obviously the Dubs would have to learn to say 'Yerrra' 'D'ya know' and 'well look' and change thier accents.

But I will not be having any of this guff that Dublin are playing catch up they hit the post and nearly drew the game while playing badly.
In fact most of Dublin's league wins in the past they managed to sneak into the knockout stages despite themselves.

Suddenly just because Dublin lose a game there is this manufactured crisis.
'Rock does not do enough from play, Philly goes forward too much, the forward line has no pace', 'Dublin are too old' are some of the overly dramatic stuff.

It just makes me smile.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 987 - 12/04/2017 12:51:40    1978778

Link

As a dog on the street looking on from distance ,, I think the Dubs have learnt a few lessons from the 2016 season the peeked to early (fitness wise) last year and they had nothing left in the tank , when they got to the Final against Mayo .. they looked to be mentally exhausted and out on their feet ''' hanging on the ropes ''' in those 2 matches with Mayo especially in the replay the Dubs had to use all their experience and football instincts (muscle memory) to survive against Mayo.

Looks to me the Dubs are pacing themselves just doing the bare minimum of training because they want to slowly come to the boil and peek in August. They learnt lessons from last year. Notice this year they didn't bother with the O'Byrne Cup.The Match against Cavan was their first match back together as a team. I notice this year they brought in a few new players and also players who were on the fringes of the team (panel) in 2016 have been given plenty of game time. If you look back at the 2016 season the only '' new player '' brought in was the young Davy Byrne at cornerback. It was basically the same 20 players ( a few positional switches here or there ) who played every match for the whole of last season. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks that ''' The Hunger ''' has diminished a little bit with some of the older established players. Kerry were the hungrier fitter and better team last Sunday. The Dubs needed a kick in the backside. keep them grounded. The Dubs might learn a few things from that defeat? the defeat to Kerry might stick in their craw a bit? and They'll go away now and focus on the championship. Saw glimpses of how angry Dublin (football wise) can get ,, when they played Mayo a few weeks ago in the league.

It should be acknowledged that Dublin showed their Class and sportsmanship as a team (as Men) last Sunday ..they shook hands with the Kerry players and stayed out on the pitch when Kerry went up the steps to collect the league trophy. They are magnanimous in Victory and magnanimous in defeat.

Wexiko (Wexford) - Posts: 81 - 14/04/2017 15:37:23    1979414

Link

Replying To FOB:  "Just wondering, why is every Dublin loss termed a classic?"
Does this mean there was only one classic in over two yrs? Your begging to sound like the Kerry guys

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 415 - 14/04/2017 16:39:54    1979426

Link

Replying To dubarra:  "Does this mean there was only one classic in over two yrs? Your begging to sound like the Kerry guys"
I think it means that the classic's are so rare.... :D

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 987 - 14/04/2017 17:04:47    1979431

Link

Cian O Sullivan stating what we already knew
And the Kilmacud Crokes man hopes the end of that unbeaten streak has removed a 'distraction'.
"We wouldn't have been paying too much heed to the unbeaten run and however many games it is, but it was just so widely talked about and publicised, that your friends and family, or in the media or wherever, that it is very hard to get away from it.
"It does seep into the subconscious and therefore become a bit of distraction to your preparations for the game.
"That is done away with now, that distraction isn't there. So, is it a positive going into the summer? Yeah, it probably is.
"It's a good thing that that distraction is kind of gone now."

Hallelujah now I'm not against another new 30 game unbeaten streak ha ha

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 26/04/2017 10:03:30    1982774

Link