Dublin Forum

Hurling relegation-playoff, Dublin v Clare.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd hazard a guess and say that I reckon both Dublin players and management couldn't give a flying f**k about things like that. I would say they're far too busy trying to get things right in training. It's not as if they are not used to being written off!

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 26/04/2017 23:16:54    1983038

Link

Replying To HarryO:  "Wondering, about Dubs chance against Galway in the Championship. Galway players and supporters talking-up their chances of winning the All-Ireland this year. I think if I was a Dub player or management, I would be concerned with this lack of respect., a month away from the match. Maybe again, and they feel justified, and see this as a handy opening game. ??!!!!

Harryo"
There's little doubt but that Galway finished the league better than Dublin and have momentum behind them. It depends on how much you read into the value of the league as a barometer for how teams will do in the championship. For example, Mayo haven't really been pulling up trees in the football league recently but you'd still expect them to be there or there abouts come the championship. Dublin could also point to the fact that the Cuala contingent played practically no part in the league.

I think certain fans, who perhaps could be classified as the "empty vessel" fans, will always talk up their team after a victory or two. However, one defeat and the same team becomes "useless" to those same fans. I wouldn't pay a huge amount of notice to the vocal minority.

I also pay no notice to this "lack of respect" accusation. Its fairly commonly used in wrestling circles to begin a feud. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 527 - 27/04/2017 11:01:54    1983084

Link

Galway rightly favourites , their fire power up front and intensity is something we don't have , however you have two teams that have the ability to surprise on their day both in a negative and positive context , I actually wouldn't big up either team fascinating match cant wait

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 27/04/2017 13:21:32    1983131

Link

Replying To KerryKillers:  "I'd hazard a guess and say that I reckon both Dublin players and management couldn't give a flying f**k about things like that. I would say they're far too busy trying to get things right in training. It's not as if they are not used to being written off!"
Former Galway football manager John O Mahony, used press reports lambasting his team, as motivation to go on and win An All-Ireland in 1998. He took the press-cuttings into the dress room before matches.
As a former player, I loved other teams, who wrote us off before a championship games, so I don't think management ignore such comments.
Harryo

HarryO (Galway) - Posts: 187 - 27/04/2017 21:47:03    1983237

Link

Replying To HarryO:  "Former Galway football manager John O Mahony, used press reports lambasting his team, as motivation to go on and win An All-Ireland in 1998. He took the press-cuttings into the dress room before matches.
As a former player, I loved other teams, who wrote us off before a championship games, so I don't think management ignore such comments.
Harryo"
maybe you're right harry, but i dont think its surprising that Galway have serious aspirations while Dublin are probably a little more less hopeful. And in fairness there are no paper reports dismissing and lambasting Dublin as a result, so its not the same thing

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 27/04/2017 22:31:28    1983247

Link