Down Forum

Feile Na nGael 2017 - Castlewellan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So the Feile goes ahead in the town on Saturday. They are using the Bann Road pitches and St Malachy's park. The games start at 11.00am with the last match at 5.00pm.
There with be 3 finals with all 3 winners going on to represent the County at National Feile in Wexford or Kilkenny.
Portaferry are strong favourites for the Div 1 title but with the short games of 15 minutes anything can happen and I wouldn't rule out a surprise or 2.
Good luck to all the young hurlers taking part and let's hope it's an enjoyable days hurling for all.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1066 - 25/04/2017 11:17:10    1982479

Link

Looking forward to a good days hurling. Hopefully the weather holds up.
Thanks to Castlewellan for hosting.
There's only one favourite for Feile these days and it ain't us! Try looking towards the big smoke where they come in under the radar year after year to win it. No matter, we usually catch up with them later in the summer.
May the best team win and all the boys enjoy the day.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 940 - 27/04/2017 14:13:35    1983150

Link

Ports are the Div 1 champs, and Bredagh win Div 2 with a very narrow win in their final. St Pats the Div 3 winners.
A very well organised and well ran event!

On the downside, some supporters need to take a long hard look at the way they treat opposing players/mangers/supporters and officials! Some of the foul mouthed-language and behaviour I witnessed yesterday was disgusting and I had my young grand-daughter with me....

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 30/04/2017 11:26:53    1983580

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "Ports are the Div 1 champs, and Bredagh win Div 2 with a very narrow win in their final. St Pats the Div 3 winners.
A very well organised and well ran event!

On the downside, some supporters need to take a long hard look at the way they treat opposing players/mangers/supporters and officials! Some of the foul mouthed-language and behaviour I witnessed yesterday was disgusting and I had my young grand-daughter with me...."
Very hard on our lads when a referee blows up the game when the ball is flying towards the net.

It may have been saved and it may not, but its only right that the referee sees out the final play..

I don't think Castlewellan hosted it at all, was it not the county coaching committee? It was hard to tell as there didn't seem to be many visible organisers at some venues and our camogs played on a school pitch that wasn't marked out they tell me.

Best of luck to the Ports, Bredagh and St Patricks on their excursions south.

On a side note the number of very one sided games tells you all you need to know about hurling development outside the Ards and South Belfast and take a run to the red high this Saturday and you will see the same thing.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2392 - 02/05/2017 11:33:20    1983915

Link

Bricktop that final comment is a nonsense, simple question when was last time the Crans won a Feile or indeed any A grade juvenile championship......maybe you should look for the plank in your own eye first.......

Reality is likes of Liatriom, Shamrocks etc will have infrequent good teams as generally they will be clustered around a few lads whose dads used to play and all the efforts will be pushed into those teams to bring them through to senior as that is how adult teams in the non ards are sustained......we may prefer it to be different but that is reality ........for the past 5/6 yrs the likes of Liatriom and Shamrocks , Carryduff etc gave all had consistently competitive minor /u16 teams it may drop off for couple of years then come again with the biggest issue being number of coaches and people willing to put time/effort in

Young James Duggan from Newry won Feile skills, 2nd Shamrocks player in 3 yrs to have done it.....must have coached himself according to you!!!!

Reality the Ards will remain the main stay of the game as it's the only area we're the small ball is number one but if you think you won't need the couple of lads from Liatriom, Shamrocks, Bredagh, Carryduff etc to build a solid senior team you are fooling yourself.....just look at the minor league and how many games have been 13 a side and below often as the Ards clubs didn't have the players.......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 719 - 02/05/2017 12:12:17    1983922

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Bricktop that final comment is a nonsense, simple question when was last time the Crans won a Feile or indeed any A grade juvenile championship......maybe you should look for the plank in your own eye first.......

Reality is likes of Liatriom, Shamrocks etc will have infrequent good teams as generally they will be clustered around a few lads whose dads used to play and all the efforts will be pushed into those teams to bring them through to senior as that is how adult teams in the non ards are sustained......we may prefer it to be different but that is reality ........for the past 5/6 yrs the likes of Liatriom and Shamrocks , Carryduff etc gave all had consistently competitive minor /u16 teams it may drop off for couple of years then come again with the biggest issue being number of coaches and people willing to put time/effort in

Young James Duggan from Newry won Feile skills, 2nd Shamrocks player in 3 yrs to have done it.....must have coached himself according to you!!!!

Reality the Ards will remain the main stay of the game as it's the only area we're the small ball is number one but if you think you won't need the couple of lads from Liatriom, Shamrocks, Bredagh, Carryduff etc to build a solid senior team you are fooling yourself.....just look at the minor league and how many games have been 13 a side and below often as the Ards clubs didn't have the players......."
What you're saying has been the case since time immemorial long before full time coaches, development/elite squads and so forth, so nothing has changed, we're no better off is what you're telling me, isn't it?

Standards drop in the Ards it directly reflects in the county seniors as we're now seeing.

So IMO is the coaching and development team need to be asked is what your doing worth it, can we do something different that actually has an impact?

For instance the setting up of the P4 and P6 blitzes in Downpatrick the first Saturday of every month should be achievable for every club with aspirations of hurling yet take out the Ards clubs and the South Belfast teams there's very little forthcoming, Kilclief seem to be making an effort, Clonduff the odd time, Warrenpoint, very seldom, Liatroim as you say really depends on if there's a Da involved who played hurling, Ballela, Castlewellan, Newry, Ballyvarley infrequent, so how do you expect to magically have teams ready to compete at U14, 16's and minors, three, four years down the line?

FYI these blitzes are highly regarded by our juvenile coaches, some who have played at the highest level with Down and Ulster and whilst we haven't won an A underage competition we're competitive at all age groups in Down and we'll get there sooner rather than later.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2392 - 02/05/2017 13:25:52    1983943

Link

Any scores from sunny south east?

Good luck to all 3 Down teams.
Frank

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1066 - 16/06/2017 19:46:00    2000475

Link

Ports lost by 4 to Mooncoin but beat the Kerry champions......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 719 - 16/06/2017 20:43:18    2000486

Link

Any scores from sunny south east?

Good luck to all 3 Down teams.
Frank

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1066 - 16/06/2017 21:05:34    2000488

Link

We lost our 3rd group game to our hosts Young Irelands and then lost the Shield Q/F to Slaughtneil. The lads played well but are a bit disappointed at results.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 940 - 18/06/2017 08:45:09    2000946

Link

Anyone have a final rundown of how all the Down clubs hurlers/camogs did in the Feile down South at the weekend please?

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 19/06/2017 10:02:36    2001633

Link

http://www.gaa.ie/feile-na-ngael/results

All the results and Tables from all the games in all Divisions.

lasttoknow (Tyrone) - Posts: 98 - 19/06/2017 10:48:41    2001660

Link