Down Forum

Hurlers Of The Century

(Oldest Posts First)

Seen the Irish News article today about Down's Hurlers of the decade, probably written by somebody who doesn't watch a lot of hurling. It got me thinking about the Down Team of the 2000's. Most of this team would have featured on Team Ulster that the current manager wants to manage.

1. Graham Clarke
2. Patrick Hughes
3. Stephen Murray
4. Sean Ennis
5. Simon Wilson
6. Gary Savage
7. Gabriel Clarke
8. Andy Savage
9. Ciaran Coulter
10. Conor Woods
11. Paul Branniff
12. Brendan McGourty
13. Danny Toner
14. Magic Johnston
15. Martin Coulter Jnr

Unlucky to miss out; Stephen Keith, Liam Clarke, Fintan Conway, Michael Ennis, Connor O'Prey, Eoghan Sands
Manager: Gerard Monan

planner23 (Down) - Posts: 6 - 01/06/2020 20:17:48    2279678

Link

Replying To planner23:  "Seen the Irish News article today about Down's Hurlers of the decade, probably written by somebody who doesn't watch a lot of hurling. It got me thinking about the Down Team of the 2000's. Most of this team would have featured on Team Ulster that the current manager wants to manage.

1. Graham Clarke
2. Patrick Hughes
3. Stephen Murray
4. Sean Ennis
5. Simon Wilson
6. Gary Savage
7. Gabriel Clarke
8. Andy Savage
9. Ciaran Coulter
10. Conor Woods
11. Paul Branniff
12. Brendan McGourty
13. Danny Toner
14. Magic Johnston
15. Martin Coulter Jnr

Unlucky to miss out; Stephen Keith, Liam Clarke, Fintan Conway, Michael Ennis, Connor O'Prey, Eoghan Sands
Manager: Gerard Monan"
Young ct Barry Milligan Johnny boon always had good games in county if I can remember right Gabriel Clarke was a good player did he break a leg years ago and never played much after that ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 128 - 02/06/2020 21:31:30    2279765

Link

Good call Planner23. Some smashing players left out but that's always the case. Gabriel suffered a really bad break playing for the Country at Casement. Awful to witness it but so much worse for Gabriel.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1070 - 05/06/2020 18:03:05    2279948

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "Young ct Barry Milligan Johnny boon always had good games in county if I can remember right Gabriel Clarke was a good player did he break a leg years ago and never played much after that ?"
If it's from 2000-2010 young Sands and C.T wouldn't be counted as they weren't on the scene

Jab.Lift (Down) - Posts: 43 - 05/06/2020 18:17:41    2279949

Link

Replying To Jab.Lift:  "If it's from 2000-2010 young Sands and C.T wouldn't be counted as they weren't on the scene"
Yeah I know that but just put ct in for the present players who would make best of the rest panel ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 128 - 05/06/2020 19:45:02    2279956

Link

Replying To Jab.Lift:  "If it's from 2000-2010 young Sands and C.T wouldn't be counted as they weren't on the scene"
2000- 2020.
I forgot about CT, and he could challenge his clubman Murray for the no.3 jersey? Michael Hughes could also take brother Paddy's jersey?

Half back line was the most difficult except for Gazza. Simon & Gabriel we're classy hurlers with limited pace. Michael Ennis gave everything including an outstanding Christy Ring final performance.

Eoghan Sands could push Dingy off the team but not Danny Toner. I don't think the younger Sands has been around long enough to be considered yet.

Disappointed with the non Ards selection and could not think of anyone except Finty. His disciplinary record let him down, perhaps Donal Hughes if he had played more at county level.

planner23 (Down) - Posts: 6 - 05/06/2020 23:34:41    2279977

Link

Replying To planner23:  "2000- 2020.
I forgot about CT, and he could challenge his clubman Murray for the no.3 jersey? Michael Hughes could also take brother Paddy's jersey?

Half back line was the most difficult except for Gazza. Simon & Gabriel we're classy hurlers with limited pace. Michael Ennis gave everything including an outstanding Christy Ring final performance.

Eoghan Sands could push Dingy off the team but not Danny Toner. I don't think the younger Sands has been around long enough to be considered yet.

Disappointed with the non Ards selection and could not think of anyone except Finty. His disciplinary record let him down, perhaps Donal Hughes if he had played more at county level."
Good team all the same the county could do with some of them experienced players atm to go along with the youth

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 128 - 06/06/2020 08:20:04    2279984

Link

Replying To planner23:  "Seen the Irish News article today about Down's Hurlers of the decade, probably written by somebody who doesn't watch a lot of hurling. It got me thinking about the Down Team of the 2000's. Most of this team would have featured on Team Ulster that the current manager wants to manage.

1. Graham Clarke
2. Patrick Hughes
3. Stephen Murray
4. Sean Ennis
5. Simon Wilson
6. Gary Savage
7. Gabriel Clarke
8. Andy Savage
9. Ciaran Coulter
10. Conor Woods
11. Paul Branniff
12. Brendan McGourty
13. Danny Toner
14. Magic Johnston
15. Martin Coulter Jnr

Manager: Gerard Monan"
I'd place Kieran Courtney any where up the middle for sure, but more specifically he could replace either 7.Clarke, 8.Savage or 9.Coulter on that team depending on your preference.

Man mountain, great leader, one of the few players to wear Red/Black with the proper physicality to compete at intercounty level and always gave Neil McManus a battle when playing Antrim who's arguably the Best/Most consistent Ulster hurler of the last decade. If there was to be a single Non-Ards representative on the 'Down's Hurlers of the decade' team he would be the pick of the bunch

ThenBang (Down) - Posts: 1 - 10/06/2020 13:30:11    2280282

Link

Replying To ThenBang:  "I'd place Kieran Courtney any where up the middle for sure, but more specifically he could replace either 7.Clarke, 8.Savage or 9.Coulter on that team depending on your preference.

Man mountain, great leader, one of the few players to wear Red/Black with the proper physicality to compete at intercounty level and always gave Neil McManus a battle when playing Antrim who's arguably the Best/Most consistent Ulster hurler of the last decade. If there was to be a single Non-Ards representative on the 'Down's Hurlers of the decade' team he would be the pick of the bunch"
Great player Bang. I remember watching him in a CR Final against Carlow? He was a man mountain with a bucket hand if his hurling wasn't at top pace. He would have improved with more years in the Red and Black but only seemed to have a short career. For me, he didn't play enough to make the team but would have had the potential for sure. He had a handy brother I remember watching on the top field in Portaferry too.

planner23 (Down) - Posts: 6 - 11/06/2020 00:03:48    2280376

Link