Down Forum

Down V Antrim 26/05/18 7Pm

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To 5iveTimes:  "Cavan v Down Sat, Jun 23 5pm in Enniskillen. Breffni Park is unavailable yet Newry is allowed to lie idle yet again. It really is a shame that we don't have a full time secretary to make representations on our behalf to Croke Park. If there's 3000 at it I'll be very surprised."
But Down didn't get drawn at home - Cavan did and Brewster is the closest available/suitable venue.

Same as Louth playing in Parnell Park a couple of years back.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 3834 - 12/06/2018 19:51:39    2110704

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "But Down didn't get drawn at home - Cavan did and Brewster is the closest available/suitable venue.

Same as Louth playing in Parnell Park a couple of years back."
Cavan are unable to host the game and should lose home advantage. It's quite simple really, taking the game to Enniskillen is a terrible decision and will affect the attendance accordingly. If it was known before the draw then Cavan couldn't host the game then surely they should not have been given home advantage. Home games in Newry are a rare enough event, though I'm sure our PR team are thinking up novel ways to sell the game to the masses.

5iveTimes (Down) - Posts: 49 - 13/06/2018 13:29:28    2111019

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "Well lads, things have taken a huge turn for the better for you ahead of our qualifier clash.

I'd make Down favourites after today's appointment."
Are you talking about the ref or the venue?

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1395 - 13/06/2018 14:53:21    2111084

Link

Cavan are red hot favourites for this regardless of venue or referee. They will be expected to win comfortably by all, following that display at the weekend.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 291 - 13/06/2018 16:10:48    2111131

Link

Replying To Suas Sios:  "Are you talking about the ref or the venue?"
The ref.

I think the venue suits us.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 3834 - 13/06/2018 16:29:05    2111140

Link

Replying To 5iveTimes:  "Cavan are unable to host the game and should lose home advantage. It's quite simple really, taking the game to Enniskillen is a terrible decision and will affect the attendance accordingly. If it was known before the draw then Cavan couldn't host the game then surely they should not have been given home advantage. Home games in Newry are a rare enough event, though I'm sure our PR team are thinking up novel ways to sell the game to the masses."
But Wicklow weren't forced to go to Croke Park to play Dublin when Aughrim wasn't deemed suitable.

Same with Carlow last year.

Same with Louth a few years back.

Why, now, should things change??

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 3834 - 13/06/2018 16:30:33    2111142

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "But Wicklow weren't forced to go to Croke Park to play Dublin when Aughrim wasn't deemed suitable.

Same with Carlow last year.

Same with Louth a few years back.

Why, now, should things change??"
The shouldn't. It's the fair (and right i.m.o) decision regardless of the business side of things. Integrity before profit, Cavan got the home draw so they should have an advantage.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 13/06/2018 18:10:39    2111190

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "The ref.

I think the venue suits us."
Well I would make Cavan favourite due to winning your last game and a better season so far, but my predictions are usually wrong. Busy that day or I would like to have taken a spin to the match

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1395 - 14/06/2018 11:18:22    2111427

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "The shouldn't. It's the fair (and right i.m.o) decision regardless of the business side of things. Integrity before profit, Cavan got the home draw so they should have an advantage."
But Cavan are unable to hold the game for whatever reason so the game gets moved to Enniskillen??? Doesn't seem right to me. You'd think the GAA would look at these things before making the draw.

5iveTimes (Down) - Posts: 49 - 14/06/2018 17:35:42    2111582

Link

Replying To Suas Sios:  "Well I would make Cavan favourite due to winning your last game and a better season so far, but my predictions are usually wrong. Busy that day or I would like to have taken a spin to the match"
I won't make it either.

I'd make it a 50/50 game at best for us. It's inevitable the ref will be a talking point - I'm just hoping (against hope) he favours us, because he always favours someone!!

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 3834 - 14/06/2018 22:21:40    2111666

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "I won't make it either.

I'd make it a 50/50 game at best for us. It's inevitable the ref will be a talking point - I'm just hoping (against hope) he favours us, because he always favours someone!!"
I will say again...Cavan are red hot favourites for this regardless of venue or referee. They will be expected to win comfortably by all, following that display at the weekend.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 291 - 15/06/2018 15:21:34    2111882

Link

Replying To 5iveTimes:  "Cavan are unable to host the game and should lose home advantage. It's quite simple really, taking the game to Enniskillen is a terrible decision and will affect the attendance accordingly. If it was known before the draw then Cavan couldn't host the game then surely they should not have been given home advantage. Home games in Newry are a rare enough event, though I'm sure our PR team are thinking up novel ways to sell the game to the masses."
Would you please cop yourself on ,Its a home draw for Cavan, even though Breffni is not available ,its a venue to suit them ,It wouldent matter if Sean Og did hand stands up the Point duel carriageway andcartwheeles down the other side, Its a draw that suits Cavan ,

germac (Down) - Posts: 270 - 16/06/2018 21:41:58    2112189

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "I will say again...Cavan are red hot favourites for this regardless of venue or referee. They will be expected to win comfortably by all, following that display at the weekend."
Who cares pick of down and Cavan wouldn't beat that Donegall outfit.

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 17/06/2018 00:28:08    2112209

Link

Replying To Thekid14:  "Who cares pick of down and Cavan wouldn't beat that Donegall outfit."
That's true. And it's a very good and very young Donegal side. Not sure the pick of ulster would beat them.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 3834 - 18/06/2018 13:13:56    2112624

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "That's true. And it's a very good and very young Donegal side. Not sure the pick of ulster would beat them."
Pick of Ulster would beat them pick of Cavan and down wouldn't.

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 18/06/2018 19:38:54    2112805

Link

So all over for another year for Down. I've great respect for Eamonn Burns as a player and a manager but feel he has had his chance and apart from a few flourishes Down have not done well under his stewardship. I think it's time for someone else to have a go. Steven Poacher maybe?

This is not a time when Down have an over abundance of talent but still a team if well managed can be more than the sum of its parts. I think Down whilst a long way off the top table in intercounty football can do a lot better than this now as they build for the future.

Thanks to Eamonn and the players for all their efforts again this year.

MourneMogul (Down) - Posts: 43 - 23/06/2018 19:28:03    2113941

Link

Defeat obscured a vastly improved performance against Cavan on Saturday night, with seemingly no end to the bad luck on the night.

1. O'Hare out injured
2. S Millar out Injured
3. A rampant C Harrison being Black carded early on (What for?)
4. McKernan Black Carded for dissent to the Linesman about the Harrison Incident
5. Johnston Red Carded (What for?)
6. Donnelly left field Injured
7. Mooney left the field injured
8. Turley Left the field injured
9. S Harrison lost sight of ball in (Very Strong) sun to concede an unbelievably soft goal.
10. 2 really easy point chances were also missed just after Half Time when we had a comfortable lead.

Despite all that Down should / could have won the game.

O'Hagan also had a great goal chance right at the death to win the game. A lot has been said that he should have taken the point but for me he had to go for the goal in that position and was unlucky that the keeper made a great save. The performance and commitment in every position were great and we have way better players than Cavan, now in Division 1, I think.

I hope this improvement is enough to allow Burns to step down with his held high - which is needed now I think. Its clear he's not getting the best out of this group of players and I seen enough last night, and v Antrim, to give plenty of hope that a new manager can make better progress next year.

None of them owe Down anything but I also hope McKernan, McCardle and McGinn stay on to support the younger guys as they were all great last night .

spiritof1991 (Down) - Posts: 693 - 24/06/2018 21:31:06    2114368

Link