Down Forum

Christy Ring 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I am afraid Down hurling has hit an all time low. The latest embarrassing thrashing at the hands of Antrim has put hurling in Down back many, many years. The blame game will sound around the county with the players gaining the brunt of it. There seems to be an amalgamation of things which has combined to this dismal display yesterday. Players walking away. Why? Players being played in positions that are foreign to them . Why? Manager lambasting and criticising their squad. Was that to deflect their fragility on the side line? Was it the wrong training and coaching? Last season the then manager was criticised by, mostly, the past county "legends " for his methods but he got Down to a league play off and the same Christy Ring exit, have Down improved? Definitely not. The county dumped last year's manager and brought in a new team, what have they achieved ? Absolutely nothing! "The attitude of players stink". Why? Has the question been asked or again is this the managers way of deflecting their frailties? I am sure the real reasons will come out shaded by an amount of inconsistencies.
Disheartened? Yes!!!!

swan song (None) - Posts: 427 - 21/05/2017 11:46:11    1988751

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "Christy Ring Semi Final Results

Carlow 0-24 V 2-8 Wicklow
Antrim 4-23 V 0-15 Down

Our lads where never at the races..I think it's fair to say that the best two teams in the competition will meet in the final (like I predicted from the outset). Good luck to Antrim in the final; I hope they go on and win it and I think they have got better as the competition has progressed."
I think this was a year to forget, I think the co board have to take responsibility, fair play to the 3 men who put their hands up, but the county as a whole is a hurling car crash I.e development squads, coaching, and bringing through young players, it hasn't been the same since they done away with a hurling board

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 286 - 21/05/2017 11:46:47    1988752

Link

The outcome of the Antrim game was a foregone conclusion! The new management team did nothing to change the direction of Down hurling! As I predicted!! So much for bringing hurling back to the Ards! Delusional Ards men who can't see the wood for the trees!!

john101 (Down) - Posts: 91 - 21/05/2017 21:15:28    1989024

Link

Hard luck to the Down hurlers. Would anyone on here have good knowledge of the Down club scene?? I run a small tipping group - well-run, organised, a bit of a craic, we win a few bob too. If you are interested send a message to GAA - For Club and County on Facebook and I'll add you to my group. Thanks and good luck.

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1031 - 22/05/2017 07:16:08    1989112

Link

Why are we surprised by this result?
Yes we could have done better, but we are at a low ebb club wise, so how did we ever think we somehow were going to compete on Saturday irrespective of who was managing.
We've won one minor Ulster championship in 20 odd years, I can't even remember the last time we won an U21 and so on, so please stop taking those delusional stances and get real, get involved with your clubs at underage and give the youngsters the opportunity to develop their potential, then and only then will we be able to compete.
Talk to those involved in coaching in other clubs and counties and it'll only take you a few seconds to realise we're miles behind club wise and county wise.
Speak to anyone involved in North Antrim coaching in particular and then come back to me with how Down should be beating Antrim in their own backyard.

As for the misty eyed lad on youtube, that same Down team took some big beatings from Antrim as well on their day and spent lots of time in Div3 backwaters before they got the finger out.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2392 - 22/05/2017 09:11:13    1989137

Link

Hi Lads and Lassies, Ye did not have a great year and that is always likely to happen. In fact even Kilkenny, Tipp, Cork have had more bad years than good ones. Eventually it will click and the Downs Carlows Meaths Wicklows and Kildares will have a day or should I say evening in the sun in Croker and be given 5 minutes to bask in it before the dogs of war are released by the establishment to run you out of the stadium. But keep at it and it will come. Hell you might be as lucky as us last year when (due to extreme ineptitude by the establishment ) we got to celebrate twice and be chased out of our national stadium twice but we enjoyed our notoriety and wintered well on it BUT it all came tumbling down again and so we have to start all over again and I get the distinct feeling that the establishment are now content that we are gone for a while. We hope to be back and so do you and it is important that we continue to knock on doors and occasionally break through that door even if that door is even more minnow proofed each year. As one poster said 'we enjoy our hurling and keep at it' and above all ignore the 'burn the hurls' brigade in your own counties. Keep at it.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 626 - 23/05/2017 10:51:02    1989717

Link

Down Hurling is punching well below its weight ,What has happened to the Standards we would have seen in years past ,are the present players atitudes not what they should be ,are they not proud to hurl for Down ,do they not have aspirations of getting upto the standards of that fine Down team in the early 90s ,the brilliant Gerald Mcgratten ,the Blaney Brothers ,the Hurling wizard that was Noel Sands which should have been an all-star ,what a fantastic hurler he was & at the time & then Irelands best hurling goalkeeper ,The Brilliant Noel Keith ,every hurling county would,ve loved to have had these hurlers in their team ,I understand that the ARDS teams plus KILCLIEF where the backbone of hurling but is it not time to include other club players ,Bredagh ,Ballela the fontenoys ,carry duff ,clonduff ,are the standards at underage not upto scratch ,are ex county stars not getting involved & raising the standards of future hurlers ,things need to change & a professional atitude must be adopted by Clubs first ,make Down hurling great again

emerald79 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 59 - 25/05/2017 22:01:15    1990841

Link

Replying To emerald79:  "Down Hurling is punching well below its weight ,What has happened to the Standards we would have seen in years past ,are the present players atitudes not what they should be ,are they not proud to hurl for Down ,do they not have aspirations of getting upto the standards of that fine Down team in the early 90s ,the brilliant Gerald Mcgratten ,the Blaney Brothers ,the Hurling wizard that was Noel Sands which should have been an all-star ,what a fantastic hurler he was & at the time & then Irelands best hurling goalkeeper ,The Brilliant Noel Keith ,every hurling county would,ve loved to have had these hurlers in their team ,I understand that the ARDS teams plus KILCLIEF where the backbone of hurling but is it not time to include other club players ,Bredagh ,Ballela the fontenoys ,carry duff ,clonduff ,are the standards at underage not upto scratch ,are ex county stars not getting involved & raising the standards of future hurlers ,things need to change & a professional atitude must be adopted by Clubs first ,make Down hurling great again"
How exactly would you know?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2392 - 26/05/2017 09:42:31    1990907

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "
Replying To THEMOLE2:  "Christy Ring Semi Final Results

Carlow 0-24 V 2-8 Wicklow
Antrim 4-23 V 0-15 Down

Our lads where never at the races..I think it's fair to say that the best two teams in the competition will meet in the final (like I predicted from the outset). Good luck to Antrim in the final; I hope they go on and win it and I think they have got better as the competition has progressed."
I think this was a year to forget, I think the co board have to take responsibility, fair play to the 3 men who put their hands up, but the county as a whole is a hurling car crash I.e development squads, coaching, and bringing through young players, it hasn't been the same since they done away with a hurling board"
I think some of the posts on here in relation to our CR campaign are very harsh. Lets be realistic!! Given our current crop of players do you REALLY think we would win the CR...no way!! I think the fact we got to the semi-final was on a par to the level we are at...We had a cracking result away to London (league above us) so there are positives from the CR campaign.
The lads involved in the management, I thought, done a decent enough job with the players at their disposal. To say ''county as a whole is a hurling car crash'' is a lot of utter nonsense! The Crans are fielding THREE senior teams in Down; Galgets and Crans are in Div 1 in Antrim and the Ports are on course for a swift return to the top Antrim tier as well. Carryduff & Bredagh are also execlling in the Antrim league just now so there are more positives than negatives!
There is some outstanding work being done with our Celtic Challenge squad (as an example). That old 'bring through young players' escape clause simply does not cut it with me as you would REALLY struggle to name me 4/5 young players under the age of 20 who would get onto our current Down starting 15..!
The realistic situation within Down hurling is that there are THREE clubs in the Ards who provide 95% of the Down squad..this will NEVER change no matter what the Co Board put in place. So instead of criticising these clubs perhaps a bit more support for them would be the way forward!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 30/05/2017 09:26:08    1992042

Link

Christy Ring Final - Páirc an Chrócaigh
Antrim v Carlow (17:00 )
Nothing at all between these teams but I fancy Antrim to take this by 3 points.

Nicky Rackard Final - Páirc an Chrócaigh
Armagh v Derry (15:00)
Derry were the hottest of favourites for this competition from the outset and I simply cannot see Armagh winning this game. Derry by 5+points

Lory Meagher Final - Páirc an Chrócaigh
Leitrim v Warwickshire (13:00 )
Can Leitrim put the brakes on Watson....NOPE! Warwickshire by 4 points.

Ticket Information
Adult: €25.00/£22.00
Juveniles: €5.00/£5.00
Concession: A €5.00 rebate is available on full price Adult tickets from the designated turnstile with valid ID prior to entry.

€25.00 is FANTASTIC value for a triple-bill of hurling at headquarters this weekend.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 05/06/2017 09:38:34    1994858

Link

Christy Ring Final
Antrim 4-15 v 5-23 Carlow
I suspect if you had asked Antrim would they have taken a score of 4-15 before the game, they would have taken it! Carlow were simply too strong on this occasion with Carlow's James Doyle hitting a cracking FOUR goals for the winners! You have to feel though for Ciaran Clarke who hit 2-09 (!!)) for the losers.

Nicky Rackard Final
Armagh 2-15 v 3-23 Derry
Favourites Derry were to good for Armagh in this one; is that 3 times Armagh have been beat in the final of this competition?

Lory Meagher Final
Leitrim 0-11 v 0-17 Warwickshire
I did day Watson was the man to watch and he duly obliged! 11 points from the ex Antrim hitman saw the exiles win the Lory Meagher at the expense of Leitrim.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 12/06/2017 08:36:20    1998250

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "Christy Ring Final
Antrim 4-15 v 5-23 Carlow
I suspect if you had asked Antrim would they have taken a score of 4-15 before the game, they would have taken it! Carlow were simply too strong on this occasion with Carlow's James Doyle hitting a cracking FOUR goals for the winners! You have to feel though for Ciaran Clarke who hit 2-09 (!!)) for the losers.

Nicky Rackard Final
Armagh 2-15 v 3-23 Derry
Favourites Derry were to good for Armagh in this one; is that 3 times Armagh have been beat in the final of this competition?

Lory Meagher Final
Leitrim 0-11 v 0-17 Warwickshire
I did day Watson was the man to watch and he duly obliged! 11 points from the ex Antrim hitman saw the exiles win the Lory Meagher at the expense of Leitrim."
Carlow are deserving winners of this year and will give Loais a rattle in a week or so's time.
Antrim aren't what they think they are and a bit of turmoil on the camp with Graffan being drafted in at the last minute having not done any preseason stuff as he was travelling. No loyalty from management will cause issues next year, something Down management will need to learn as well..

Derry with the S'Neil dual stars back had too much for Armagh and would have too much for us as well if the truth be told....

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2392 - 12/06/2017 09:52:14    1998292

Link

No loyalty from management will cause issues next year, something Down management will need to learn as well.. Derry with the S'Neil dual stars back had too much for Armagh and would have too much for us as well if the truth be told.... Bricktop

I think your wild hard on the Down lads/management team Bricktop! I think they actually done BETTER than many thought they would. Like, be honest, did you see them getting to a CR semi-final this year.... I doubt it. The away win against London was a fantastic result so there is progress being made.
We had 3 wins in the league, beating Derry might I add, and finished mid-table. This was with a new management team in charge in their first year. I think we will have a better idea as too how this new management team are progressing when the new season kicks off...but give the lads a chance at least.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 15/06/2017 08:55:12    1999817

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "No loyalty from management will cause issues next year, something Down management will need to learn as well.. Derry with the S'Neil dual stars back had too much for Armagh and would have too much for us as well if the truth be told.... Bricktop

I think your wild hard on the Down lads/management team Bricktop! I think they actually done BETTER than many thought they would. Like, be honest, did you see them getting to a CR semi-final this year.... I doubt it. The away win against London was a fantastic result so there is progress being made.
We had 3 wins in the league, beating Derry might I add, and finished mid-table. This was with a new management team in charge in their first year. I think we will have a better idea as too how this new management team are progressing when the new season kicks off...but give the lads a chance at least."
I've a lot of time for the management in general, but this parachuting lads in later on in the year ahead of lads who've done all the hard slog doesn't sit well in a harmonious squad and could come back to bite them next year.

Why would you do all the pre-season in Dec and Jan?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2392 - 15/06/2017 11:25:01    1999880

Link

Brick top: 100 % correct

nosides (Down) - Posts: 231 - 15/06/2017 20:32:50    2000116

Link

Are last years management ratified again for another term,,does anyone know?

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 286 - 18/06/2017 08:41:07    2000944

Link