Derry Forum

A New Low

(Oldest Posts First)

Derry football relegated to the lowest tier of the national league, absolute disgrace.

Once a proud footballing county, now a national laughing stock. The problems within the county has been well documented over the years, management teams have tried year after year to resolve theses problems but faced nothing but further obstacles.

If we want to get Derry football back up being competitive at the top table we need everyone pulling together, nothing less.

There will be some club managers sitting back smiling with a happy heart saying 'I told you so, I was right'. to their players.

There will be many Derry gaels hurting like I am just now because we are passionate about our county and appreciate their efforts.

Those club chairmen, managers who made players choose club over county I hope today you are proud. However, no doubt these same men/women will be the first in line when they are looking favours from Owenbeg.

If you can't offer any positives to the future of Derry GAA then stay away and let the men/women who would do anything for Derry get on with it.

I will end by saying 'division 4 it is for next year and I will wear the oak leaf jersey with proud'. The good thing the only way is up.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 25/03/2018 17:14:19    2087760

Link

I have never walked out of a football ground so angry as I have today. To make matters worse you read tweets from ex-players like 'sad day' the same player who never shied away from putting the knife into previous Derry managers.

The efforts of the players cannot be faulted, the clubs and county board are at fault. Until the clubs fully co-operate with the county in all codes we will continue to decline. No point having success at school level etc etc when the club poisons their mind towards playing county football.

All this crap about Celtic Park v Owenbeg is nonsense. You support your county you will travel. I know plenty of Derry folk with no connection to Slaughtneil who travelled all over Ulster and Ireland supporting them but yet these same people wouldn't travel to Celtic Park to watch Derry.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 25/03/2018 17:51:22    2087787

Link

well we cant say we didnt see this coming we have been in gradual decline for years now - div 4 and a few hundred loyal souls going to the matches now - our demise is well and truly complete - once a great and proud footballing county now reduced to a reduced to a laughing- stock where did it start to go wrong, is there the appetite within the county to fix it or even address it do we have the players why are some of our best players not committing to the county where is the pride in the oak leaf jersey gone ? if the county board dont realise there is a crisis by now then we truly are finished why is all this underage success not manifesting itself at senior level - is Damian out of his depth at senior inter county level - i previously said on here that i thought he was rushed into the job and should have taken the natural progression up to under 21`s or 20s as it is now - i personally think the county board should call a crisis meeting and invite 1 or 2 delegates from every club to see if people can put forward ideas to see if we can improve on any aspects of the county set up and take the best of those ideas and work on them - there is a massive disconnect between the Doire Gaa public and our senior team this needs to be addressed and get bums back on seats first and foremost - the next decisions of all concerned are vital if we are to stop this rot and reverse our fortunes - im personally broken hearted top see the decline of our once proud oak leaf county - does anyone else care ?

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 26/03/2018 15:21:20    2088330

Link

Just curious but outside of GAA and life in general does the county boundary mean anything.I know in Donegal if a man in Malin Head was playing tiddlewinks outside the county people in Kilcar would be supporting him or if somebody was in a singing contest somewhere the whole county would be behind them.I get the feeling if somebody from Castledawson was involved in something people in say Claudy wouldn't give a monkeys.I would say Derry City people would have more of a connection with Donegal than Co Derry.Maybe I am wrong about all this.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 26/03/2018 20:39:54    2088474

Link

Looking for a Derry based contact with a good record in predicting results in the Derry Football and Hurling Championships. Well established group. If you fit the bill and are interested, go on to Twitter and follow GAA CLUB AND COUNTY TIPS, send me a message and we can take it from there.

https://twitter.com/CORNERBOY79

Thanks in advance,

Wicklowman

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1030 - 06/04/2018 16:35:14    2091446

Link

I am a teenage girl and have never played with a football club. I decided to join this year with a club which many of my friends are in 5 mins away. However there has been an objection that I can no longer play with this club as there is already a club in my parish (which the pitch is 20 mins away) and if I want to play football I must play with them. I do not want to quit a sport I love due to this!! Please help!

Poppy11 (Wexford) - Posts: 1 - 18/04/2018 23:35:59    2093884

Link

Replying To Poppy11:  "I am a teenage girl and have never played with a football club. I decided to join this year with a club which many of my friends are in 5 mins away. However there has been an objection that I can no longer play with this club as there is already a club in my parish (which the pitch is 20 mins away) and if I want to play football I must play with them. I do not want to quit a sport I love due to this!! Please help!"
Firstly Congrats on taking up Gaelic football and hopefully it brings you many years of fun, fitness, friendships and success.

The GAA's parish rule is one of the mainstays and backbones of the association for generations, whereby basically you play for where you are from and represent your native parish. It is one of the most unique aspects of our great games compared to practically any other, and gives us the local pride and identity that comes with it.

The GAA are almost always opposed to anyone playing for another club that is not their own or a club outside their parish unless there are some very serious reasons to move. The most common reason being working and living in a different area of the country to your native parish and having a commute that is unreasonable to attend training and games with your native club, players in that instance have been granted permission to join a club close to where they are working and living, and even then not all are granted if the GAA belives the cummute is workable. These are club transfers where players were already registered for their own club and seeking a transfer to register and play for another.

If there is a club in your parish then more than likely you will have to play for that club. Now thats not to say if you talk to both clubs involved that something may happen to counteract that particularly if you have never registered for club before, but it is extremely unlikely. My advice is to embrace the club in your own parish, you will enevitably find that they are friendly, welcoming and fun to play for. Your friends in the other club will still always be your friends and you are sure to make new ones in your own club. Perhaps you will find after a season the the reward for playing for your own parish will strike you and you will see that the GAA's parish rule is not a bad thing after all. Good luck.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 22/04/2018 02:07:24    2094255

Link

Replying To Poppy11:  "I am a teenage girl and have never played with a football club. I decided to join this year with a club which many of my friends are in 5 mins away. However there has been an objection that I can no longer play with this club as there is already a club in my parish (which the pitch is 20 mins away) and if I want to play football I must play with them. I do not want to quit a sport I love due to this!! Please help!"
Not sure on the ladies Gaa rules, but I am fairly certain that in the men's code if you haven't registered with a club before, and I mean never, you can register with who ever you want.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 173 - 23/04/2018 22:41:07    2094643

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Just curious but outside of GAA and life in general does the county boundary mean anything.I know in Donegal if a man in Malin Head was playing tiddlewinks outside the county people in Kilcar would be supporting him or if somebody was in a singing contest somewhere the whole county would be behind them.I get the feeling if somebody from Castledawson was involved in something people in say Claudy wouldn't give a monkeys.I would say Derry City people would have more of a connection with Donegal than Co Derry.Maybe I am wrong about all this."
No you are right. Derry City is in Inishowen and always had more of an affinity with Donegal. Same surnames, similar accents, same hinterland

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 243 - 25/04/2018 23:14:05    2095030

Link

Do you not think it has nothing to do with the lack of unified culture in the county? It is hard to explain but the accents are a good example, 4 accents in this county, we aren't really a unified people, people around Bellaghy have more in common with people from Co.Antrim, people in Moneymore are basically Cookstown people, people in Derry city are Inishowen people and people always making Londonderry jokes doesn't really help.

I actually would like to see South Derry split and have a team of our own, there would be pride in the South Derry or Loughinsholin jersey.

I have been to 3 Derry games in 10 years (Tyrone 09, Sligo 13 Cavan 13) I went to most championship games between 2000-2009 though.

PattyONeill (Derry) - Posts: 44 - 21/08/2018 18:56:55    2135397

Link

I never noticed someone had brought that up already, yes that is true, I am from the Ballyronan area in south of county, we have very little connection to those northern areas, we are unique, we aren't Tyrone people (Derry did used to be in Tir Eoghain before counties though, as did Inishowen) nor are we Antrim people, we even have our own distinct accent.

PattyONeill (Derry) - Posts: 44 - 21/08/2018 19:05:02    2135401

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "No you are right. Derry City is in Inishowen and always had more of an affinity with Donegal. Same surnames, similar accents, same hinterland"
You can't really use surnames as an excuse though, people in Antrim, south Derry, east Tyrone and Armagh all have the same sort of surnames. You get Dohertys all over Ulster for example (Donegal name)

PattyONeill (Derry) - Posts: 44 - 21/08/2018 19:07:46    2135403

Link

Replying To PattyONeill:  "Do you not think it has nothing to do with the lack of unified culture in the county? It is hard to explain but the accents are a good example, 4 accents in this county, we aren't really a unified people, people around Bellaghy have more in common with people from Co.Antrim, people in Moneymore are basically Cookstown people, people in Derry city are Inishowen people and people always making Londonderry jokes doesn't really help.

I actually would like to see South Derry split and have a team of our own, there would be pride in the South Derry or Loughinsholin jersey.

I have been to 3 Derry games in 10 years (Tyrone 09, Sligo 13 Cavan 13) I went to most championship games between 2000-2009 though."
Splitting the county in 2? Patty, that is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You are part of the problem ...pride? pride my hole. Get off your hole and start supporting the county

Seamy_Hendrix (Derry) - Posts: 45 - 30/08/2018 16:07:19    2137711

Link

Replying To Seamy_Hendrix:  "Splitting the county in 2? Patty, that is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You are part of the problem ...pride? pride my hole. Get off your hole and start supporting the county"
Well the current system isn't working, Derry has the footballers to compete with the likes of Tyrone and Donegal but they haven't been successful. No I think life is too short to be going up to Owenbeg to be watching football on a rainy sunday (I include club football in that) if they come play in the local clubs then they maybe will get a bigger crowd, I read an interview with Chrissy McKaigue and he said the county teams should play league games around the clubs.

PattyONeill (Derry) - Posts: 44 - 31/08/2018 22:36:45    2138056

Link