Westmeath Forum

Hurlers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Agree with the dodger. We were very late in making changes - I couldn't believe that the same 15 were sent out to start the second half. The only reason we were still in touch despite only scoring 4 pts in that 1st half was that Laois missed a lot and should have had us dead and buried by the 15 minute of the 2nd half when changes were eventually made. Couple of the forwards had an off day and you would hope that a fit Mitchell and Clinton would come into that attack. That being said it was a great effort to bring it to extra time and Doyle's 2 points at start of extra time were magnificent - it was amazing the quality of the 4 pts from play got in first 6 mins of xtra time by Doyle and Goonery and to think we could only manage 4 in the first 30 minutes incl i think 3 frees . But its another game under their belt and with so many of them involved last year they should hold no fear of the Cats on 21st. Best of luck to all.

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 01/06/2017 17:30:38    1993169

Link

Replying To puglerdaly:  "Agree with the dodger. We were very late in making changes - I couldn't believe that the same 15 were sent out to start the second half. The only reason we were still in touch despite only scoring 4 pts in that 1st half was that Laois missed a lot and should have had us dead and buried by the 15 minute of the 2nd half when changes were eventually made. Couple of the forwards had an off day and you would hope that a fit Mitchell and Clinton would come into that attack. That being said it was a great effort to bring it to extra time and Doyle's 2 points at start of extra time were magnificent - it was amazing the quality of the 4 pts from play got in first 6 mins of xtra time by Doyle and Goonery and to think we could only manage 4 in the first 30 minutes incl i think 3 frees . But its another game under their belt and with so many of them involved last year they should hold no fear of the Cats on 21st. Best of luck to all."
great win
free taking needs to be improved
also the match ups in the backs.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 01/06/2017 22:21:04    1993305

Link

That laois team were rated highly they beat Waterford and Galway in challange games I'm told and have 15 on the senior panel plus a lot of them were on DJ Carey's Carlow IT team, if Westmeath had anyone to win ball in the first half it would have settled us but it took a combination of missed scoring chances from play from them and a super save from Maher after 10 minutes to keep us in it , after halftime we were slow to get going Maher made 2 more saves before we even got going and Shaw came away with 2 more balls after hooking the number 11 then Clavin starts winning puckouts , Clinton comes on and Killian Doyle gets a bit of room and we take off and from the last 15 minutes until the last second of extra time laois couldn't live with us, they brought on number 17 and had to replace him Quinn and Goonery coming back swept up everything and every ball we sent forward was won by Westmeath men if we had Maher in goals on Saturday we would have beaten Offaly and Egerton showed he should be a starter on the senior too, it was there for all to see that was at the game, if they start against Kilkenny the way they did last year they will give it a right rattle, the seniors are only playing out the championship now there chance is gone but with the 21s in the semi it keeps all our hopes alive I've said it here before the talent in the senior and 21 panels is very evident but it needs vibrant young management to bring it that step further

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 01/06/2017 23:33:37    1993330

Link

That laois team were rated highly they beat Waterford and Galway in challange games I'm told and have 15 on the senior panel plus a lot of them were on DJ Carey's Carlow IT team, if Westmeath had anyone to win ball in the first half it would have settled us but it took a combination of missed scoring chances from play from them and a super save from Maher after 10 minutes to keep us in it , after halftime we were slow to get going Maher made 2 more saves before we even got going and Shaw came away with 2 more balls after hooking the number 11 then Clavin starts winning puckouts , Clinton comes on and Killian Doyle gets a bit of room and we take off and from the last 15 minutes until the last second of extra time laois couldn't live with us, they brought on number 17 and had to replace him Quinn and Goonery coming back swept up everything and every ball we sent forward was won by Westmeath men if we had Maher in goals on Saturday we would have beaten Offaly and Egerton showed he should be a starter on the senior too, it was there for all to see that was at the game, if they start against Kilkenny the way they did last year they will give it a right rattle, the seniors are only playing out the championship now there chance is gone but with the 21s in the semi it keeps all our hopes alive I've said it here before the talent in the senior and 21 panels is very evident but it needs vibrant young management to bring it that step further

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 01/06/2017 23:36:31    1993331

Link

Replying To valley84:  "That's why Westmeath will never win anything.
With the proper coaching and organisation this bunch of players could make a leinster semi or final.
In any serious county there'd be an inquest about that loss"
So our management can neither coach nor organise. That's helpful valley. Shall we get some pitchforks or will be the hanging judge at the inquest? Seriously can you not take any positives from the fact that the team ought to have beaten Offaly again for a second year in a row under the management? Nobody is saying they can't improve but for my money they - both management and players - are trying their best and they are making progress. Who is to say the season won't get better in their next match too. Is a bit of encouragement too much to ask?

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 02/06/2017 12:59:40    1993491

Link

Replying To valley84:  "great win
free taking needs to be improved
also the match ups in the backs."
Sorry no I see you're never happy...

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 02/06/2017 13:00:20    1993492

Link

Replying To d7h:  "So our management can neither coach nor organise. That's helpful valley. Shall we get some pitchforks or will be the hanging judge at the inquest? Seriously can you not take any positives from the fact that the team ought to have beaten Offaly again for a second year in a row under the management? Nobody is saying they can't improve but for my money they - both management and players - are trying their best and they are making progress. Who is to say the season won't get better in their next match too. Is a bit of encouragement too much to ask?"
I'd rather look at the issues that stopped us winning the game than being happy with a losing performance
Missed out on a leinster semi final

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 02/06/2017 15:54:23    1993599

Link

Really its embarrassing that we are still in the Championship after losing 3 out of 4 games

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 393 - 02/06/2017 16:48:01    1993627

Link

Replying To RAHKILL:  "Really its embarrassing that we are still in the Championship after losing 3 out of 4 games"
Better than being out of it after losing one or two games.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 02/06/2017 21:19:41    1993713

Link

Well you keep the oul face all red while the rest of us hope we get Dublin or Limerick on Tuesday mornings draw.Anyway I'd say you will be far more interested in being in Tullamore next Sunday where hopefully Westmeath will win.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 05/06/2017 13:01:53    1994973

Link

We're capable of beating that Dublin team

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 05/06/2017 18:12:54    1995150

Link

Playing Dublin in a challange on Saturday next

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 06/06/2017 03:50:26    1995356

Link

Laois play the winners of Christy Ring
Westmeath receive bye into 1st rd of the qualifiers.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 06/06/2017 09:59:45    1995403

Link

So we are in the Leinster pot and can only play
Tipp
Limerick
Winners of Christy ring/Laois
Losers Waterford/Cork
The disaster in Mullingar v Offaly hits home now a Leinster semi thrown away.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 06/06/2017 10:30:11    1995426

Link

Replying To rogerdodger:  "So we are in the Leinster pot and can only play
Tipp
Limerick
Winners of Christy ring/Laois
Losers Waterford/Cork
The disaster in Mullingar v Offaly hits home now a Leinster semi thrown away."
Throw in the hurling proposals where Offaly are in the super 10 but we will have to claw our way through Laois,Antrim,Carlow and Kerry in 2018.
Nevertheless the team is young and if we have real ambition there is real prospects of us reaching the super 10 in 2019.And why not a quarter final in 2018????

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 07/06/2017 00:22:52    1996144

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Throw in the hurling proposals where Offaly are in the super 10 but we will have to claw our way through Laois,Antrim,Carlow and Kerry in 2018.
Nevertheless the team is young and if we have real ambition there is real prospects of us reaching the super 10 in 2019.And why not a quarter final in 2018????"
If we get Tipp in the qualifiers I'd be very worried as the outcome it could set hurling back years in Westmeath because Offaly played them in a challange last night the scoreline was tipp 8-22 Offaly 12 points and the report stated 10 Offaly scores from placed balls the new proposes will only hand out beatings,

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 07/06/2017 09:08:08    1996196

Link

Replying To rogerdodger:  "If we get Tipp in the qualifiers I'd be very worried as the outcome it could set hurling back years in Westmeath because Offaly played them in a challange last night the scoreline was tipp 8-22 Offaly 12 points and the report stated 10 Offaly scores from placed balls the new proposes will only hand out beatings,"
Tipperary would be a huge problem but I would love to see our young team in that Leinster round robin.Sure we would get a few hidings but we would learn I believe to compete

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 07/06/2017 12:53:20    1996400

Link

Can anyone tell me what was the score Between Westmeath & Laois in a Hurling challenge match a few days ago ,I see the LAOIS manager mentioning they played?

southerncat79 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 80 - 21/06/2017 12:31:59    2003017

Link

whom the Gods want to destroy they first drive mad.After Dublin in Croke Park Tipp in Thurles.Our lads are going to have to play the game of their lives to be anyway competitive.Lets hope they do it not like the footballers yesterday

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 26/06/2017 11:04:50    2005528

Link

Pity its not in Mullingar, would have been a full house

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 243 - 26/06/2017 13:49:05    2005696

Link