Westmeath Forum

Hurlers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sorry in case that reads wrong I mean to say it's as in a bit harsh on Westmeath as they were the hungrier team from start to finish...

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 27/05/2017 23:39:57    1991337

Link

Qualifiers we meet a Munster team if it's Tipp and I reckon it will be, it will be more than 4 goals with the pace their forwards possess, and we seen what a half fit Joe bergin did last night running through 2nd half, forwards won't win any ball against the tipp defence they won't be near matching them for size, I'd be extremely worried as to what the final score would be, there has to be changes made starting with goals physical presence needed here Carroll is big at least and would free up jogger to man mark more and not be safeguarding the goal like he has had to do , Varley is a massive loss Ryan should have went on bended knee to him long ago, Leaving Bren Murtagh on the bench for so long when other forwards were doing nothing, sideline are very slow making decisions, power was seriously struggling early 2nd half and the puck outs cost us 3 points 3 in a row straight to an offaly man straight over the bar and it was the same for there 2nd goal when he caught the low puck out to run 30 yards and shoot to the net dooley had to be man marked when he went full forward and he pulled jogger out to the left of the westmeath goal that's when the floodgates opened, Tommy Gall was a huge loss he maDe 2 blocks first half saved certain goals Egerton was very good when introduced the u 21s were the better players ,Doyle , Shaw, Mitchell was a loss for catching and holding up ball the game midweek against Laois could be coming too soon they have a lot of injury worries as could be seen with there starting line up last week but hopefully they can reach a leinster semi which is where our seniors should be for the collapse last night, a younger more vibrant presence is needed on the line to bring out the true potential within this present bunch of u21 and senior players the talent is there but it's going to be lost if radical changes are not made going forward

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 28/05/2017 09:22:54    1991357

Link

Replying To rogerdodger:  "Qualifiers we meet a Munster team if it's Tipp and I reckon it will be, it will be more than 4 goals with the pace their forwards possess, and we seen what a half fit Joe bergin did last night running through 2nd half, forwards won't win any ball against the tipp defence they won't be near matching them for size, I'd be extremely worried as to what the final score would be, there has to be changes made starting with goals physical presence needed here Carroll is big at least and would free up jogger to man mark more and not be safeguarding the goal like he has had to do , Varley is a massive loss Ryan should have went on bended knee to him long ago, Leaving Bren Murtagh on the bench for so long when other forwards were doing nothing, sideline are very slow making decisions, power was seriously struggling early 2nd half and the puck outs cost us 3 points 3 in a row straight to an offaly man straight over the bar and it was the same for there 2nd goal when he caught the low puck out to run 30 yards and shoot to the net dooley had to be man marked when he went full forward and he pulled jogger out to the left of the westmeath goal that's when the floodgates opened, Tommy Gall was a huge loss he maDe 2 blocks first half saved certain goals Egerton was very good when introduced the u 21s were the better players ,Doyle , Shaw, Mitchell was a loss for catching and holding up ball the game midweek against Laois could be coming too soon they have a lot of injury worries as could be seen with there starting line up last week but hopefully they can reach a leinster semi which is where our seniors should be for the collapse last night, a younger more vibrant presence is needed on the line to bring out the true potential within this present bunch of u21 and senior players the talent is there but it's going to be lost if radical changes are not made going forward"
Agree with most of that
Having to rely on Murtagh again shows how bare the panel is.
The high long ball into the forwards didn't give our small forwards a chance.
I thought the backs were very poor in 2nd half and let an awful lot of low ball through
Midfielders playing as corner backs doesn't help either

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 28/05/2017 14:40:48    1991430

Link

For sure its not perfect but most counties have similar gripes. What I saw was a hugely committed bunch of players want it more than Offaly and gave blood sweat and tears trying their best to beat them. Just didn't work out on the day. And there will be some regrets but having lost to Kerry and Laois it's a hell of a comeback and the year isn't over yet. Let's hope they can use some of the lessons of last nights defeat to kick on again. Iarmhi abu

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 28/05/2017 16:08:36    1991464

Link

Replying To d7h:  "For sure its not perfect but most counties have similar gripes. What I saw was a hugely committed bunch of players want it more than Offaly and gave blood sweat and tears trying their best to beat them. Just didn't work out on the day. And there will be some regrets but having lost to Kerry and Laois it's a hell of a comeback and the year isn't over yet. Let's hope they can use some of the lessons of last nights defeat to kick on again. Iarmhi abu"
That's why Westmeath will never win anything.
With the proper coaching and organisation this bunch of players could make a leinster semi or final.
In any serious county there'd be an inquest about that loss

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 28/05/2017 17:11:30    1991491

Link

I agree we need to learn why we lost a game where we were clearly better.We also need to know why Varley,Higgins and others aren't on the panel.Michael Ryan has brought Westmeath hurling on but we have to motivate all our players of County standard to give 100%.Let's hope everyone is fit and tuned in for huge game vs Laois on Wednesday

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 28/05/2017 17:39:38    1991506

Link

Is eoin price gone from panel altogether...a good player.......I actually thought when westmeath got the equaliser goal that theyed push on and get the winning point, they came back from 5 or 6 down which shows great heart, but something not going right this year, apart from a first half against laois and a determined showing against meath plus some great patches against offaly, there hasnt been a 70 mins performance in this time, if there was theyed put it up to a hell of a lot of teams. Alls not lost I do think westmeath still havent reached their peak in hurling and good days will come eventually,,,,micheal ryan has done great work but is he the man to do it next year will have to b seen. Its down the qualifer route now ,,,and its not over,,,u never know,,

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 442 - 28/05/2017 18:19:36    1991535

Link

Tough loss to take but don't lose heart , keep believing and you will reach the top 4 in Leinster. Writing the team off before they find out which Munster team they play is very negative.

tarfboy (Dublin) - Posts: 14 - 28/05/2017 19:40:15    1991569

Link

Fairly obvious why Westmeath lost looking at the highlights but the keeper was awful. At fault for 3 goals.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 28/05/2017 22:17:49    1991650

Link

great game of hurling . we just ran out of steam in the end . the loss of tommy gallagher so early was a huge blow . once again tommy
doyle was immense the introduction of joe bergin lifted offaly but shane dooley dragged them over the line

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1169 - 29/05/2017 08:56:45    1991710

Link

No need for an inquest.
3 poor goals - Take them out of it and we would have won easy! The line was slow bringing on Murtagh to be fair. Devine was out muscled at times, Robbie Greville and O Brien went out of it in the second half. I thought Paul Greville, Aonghus and Joey Boyle were the highlights for us.
It is an awful pity we don't have Varley or Eoin Price, but you can only work with what you have.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 116 - 29/05/2017 09:03:44    1991712

Link

the goalkeeper had a nightmare for last two goals!

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 718 - 29/05/2017 09:43:23    1991729

Link

How will the 21's go tonight? Any injuries? I see Laois are favourites.

kevdog (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 31/05/2017 10:58:39    1992551

Link

Replying To kevdog:  "How will the 21's go tonight? Any injuries? I see Laois are favourites."
Niall Mitchell not starting according to published team but you'd imagine he'll be involved at some stage.
Should be a good match with both sides expectant !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 636 - 31/05/2017 15:53:38    1992700

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Niall Mitchell not starting according to published team but you'd imagine he'll be involved at some stage.
Should be a good match with both sides expectant !"
What a win we were dead and buried
Westmeath hurling needed a win in a tight game after the Offaly fiasco.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 31/05/2017 21:37:34    1992834

Link

Great win. The Doyle twins are born leaders.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 847 - 31/05/2017 22:11:22    1992844

Link

Kilkenny at home on the 21st!

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 85 - 31/05/2017 23:11:49    1992866

Link

Replying To JohnyDuncan:  "Kilkenny at home on the 21st!"
Great exciting win but if we don't improve at least a point a man we won't have a hope with a Kilkenny team bent on revenge.However that was a very good Laois team with 8 who played Wexford in senior.If we get our act together play with massive commitment these boys have great potential.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 31/05/2017 23:43:17    1992873

Link

Great result. Team looked very flat for much of the game, then came to life in the last 5 minutes of 2nd half and first 5 of extra time. Good sign that they are winning despite playing poorly for much of the game, but they won't be given a chance against the cats unless they play 60+ minutes of their best. Quinn and Shaw both stood out in the backs, Giles and Clavin tried hard and of course the Doyles. Hopefully Mitchell gets back 100% for the cats and id like to see Clinton start.

thedodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 01/06/2017 12:07:42    1992997

Link

I was just reading about some proposed changes to the Leinster hurling championship for 2018. If implemented this would be a disaster for counties like Westmeath, Kildare etc who are trying hard to promote hurling. IT really frustrates me when the powers to be try to implement such changes. I do hope Westmeath gaa completely reject these proposals!!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 899 - 01/06/2017 17:21:56    1993161

Link