Westmeath Forum

Hurlers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Playing a sweeper v Kerry ?
When we played limerick in the qualifiers last year and they had a man sent off the line didn't know what to do with the extra man which was jogger we left him at full back when he should have been pushed forward and then we go and play a sweeper v Kerry, Ryan and Walsh were too negative from the start apart from o Brien being sent off which is down to the player himself their was no leadership from players on the field or from the line scoring 1-03 from play against a team like Kerry is terrible. Kerry were far fitter than Westmeath both on the ball and on runs we made them look good , time for more youth in the side and on the line

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 01/05/2017 12:12:43    1983759

Link

Laois beat Kerry and Westmeath beat Meath and they'll still go through, madness! All is not lost.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 85 - 01/05/2017 16:56:01    1983801

Link

Stop wasting money on mileage for lads to come up from Kilkenny or Waterford to train the county team

I don't doubt the management's commitment to the cause, but no club team in the county would set up like our county team has in the last two games.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 01/05/2017 18:11:10    1983811

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Stop wasting money on mileage for lads to come up from Kilkenny or Waterford to train the county team

I don't doubt the management's commitment to the cause, but no club team in the county would set up like our county team has in the last two games."
Hate agreeing with you Valley but you are so right. havent seen a more unfit team that were set up so negative. You are right if a club team set up like that you would be dissapointed. they looked like they have not done 1 hard training session which i know isnt true but we have survived a number of years on our superior fittness now we look like we have given up on that as well. Kerry were never fitter than us in years gone by. they were always bigger men but we always were fitter. Amazing thing is beat Meath which lets be honest we have never lost to meath in my memory and we will go thorugh because Laois will beat Kerry. So we will get trhough i think but not setting up negative

Paulknows (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 02/05/2017 11:36:30    1983918

Link

The last time Westmeath played Meath in a senior hurling championship match Meath hammered Westmeath.

wd45 (Westmeath) - Posts: 181 - 02/05/2017 13:13:23    1983935

Link

Where has it all gone wrong this year? Its basically the same group of players & management from last year. Our league campaign was not good & our first two championship games have been a disaster. Its hard to believe we can still qualify for the knockouts because we don't deserve to. Our minors got hammered in games this year as well. The under 21's have been training since January so it will be interesting to see how they get on.
Have we been over reliant on Brendan Murtagh in recent years for scoring? I don't like being too hard on some of the young lads on the current panel but the standard is not near as good as it was back when we were winning Ring cups.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 169 - 02/05/2017 15:53:47    1983990

Link

Replying To Left Full:  "Where has it all gone wrong this year? Its basically the same group of players & management from last year. Our league campaign was not good & our first two championship games have been a disaster. Its hard to believe we can still qualify for the knockouts because we don't deserve to. Our minors got hammered in games this year as well. The under 21's have been training since January so it will be interesting to see how they get on.
Have we been over reliant on Brendan Murtagh in recent years for scoring? I don't like being too hard on some of the young lads on the current panel but the standard is not near as good as it was back when we were winning Ring cups."
We won 1 Christy Ring Cup. 2005. Back then we were the best of a bad lot. Not any more! We will have a chance to win another next year after Meath Hand us our asses on Sunday week.

hamsamwiches (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 02/05/2017 16:47:56    1984001

Link

The county board told clubs not to enter the leinster club hurling league as they'd be fixing league games within the county on those weekends.

It's no wonder standards are dropping!

Last week minor club players had 3 games in 6 days.
There wasn't one round of club minor games played while the county minor hurlers were training. Madness. Those lads would have benefitted from a few club games.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 02/05/2017 17:13:05    1984011

Link

Replying To hamsamwiches:  "We won 1 Christy Ring Cup. 2005. Back then we were the best of a bad lot. Not any more! We will have a chance to win another next year after Meath Hand us our asses on Sunday week."
We have 3 Christy Ring Cups 2005, 2007 and 2010 but yeah Ring Cup seems to be our standard. We haven't been able to get to the standard of Laois and they are only hangers on in McCarthy Cup no offence to them.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 847 - 02/05/2017 18:13:42    1984027

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "We have 3 Christy Ring Cups 2005, 2007 and 2010 but yeah Ring Cup seems to be our standard. We haven't been able to get to the standard of Laois and they are only hangers on in McCarthy Cup no offence to them."
I stand corrected. Only 2005 is mentioned in the above "County Profile."

hamsamwiches (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 04/05/2017 07:47:30    1984341

Link

When other counties are developing new hurling clubs we are amalgamating existing clubs
Shows the ambition

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 04/05/2017 11:39:03    1984426

Link

Replying To Paulknows:  "Hate agreeing with you Valley but you are so right. havent seen a more unfit team that were set up so negative. You are right if a club team set up like that you would be dissapointed. they looked like they have not done 1 hard training session which i know isnt true but we have survived a number of years on our superior fittness now we look like we have given up on that as well. Kerry were never fitter than us in years gone by. they were always bigger men but we always were fitter. Amazing thing is beat Meath which lets be honest we have never lost to meath in my memory and we will go thorugh because Laois will beat Kerry. So we will get trhough i think but not setting up negative"
Replying to Paulknows (Westmeath) You have a very short memory indeed when you state: "we have never lost to meath in my memory" In the years that you won your first two Christy Ring Cups you played Meath both years and lost in 2005 and drew in 2007, both games were played in Navan.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 635 - 05/05/2017 20:58:49    1984762

Link

All we have is negativity on this forum.There are no senior clubs being amalgamated in Westmeath fact anything else is nonsense.
No doubt our hurlers have been disappointing after last years heroics v Offaly and Kilkenny.Its quite possibly the third yrar management
syndrome.Losing Varley , Cormac Boyles lack of hurling have been big losses
But if we get our act together on Sunday,Laois do us a favour and the Under 21 s show their promise all will not be lost.
So stop moaning get behind the team against the old enemy on Sunday Iarmhi Abu

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 11/05/2017 20:17:11    1986057

Link

We're just not playing well this year but I think that will change on Sunday, big game and it won't be easy,Meath have beaten us in the last 3 championship meetings. I expect Shane Power to be back from injury and maybe Aaron Craig too,Aonghus Clarke is the best no.6 in the county,that's the place for him which leaves Paul Greville free to move up full forward where we are lacking a bit of clever toughness.Cormac Boyle will be hurling better now also which is a benefit. And Niall O Brien basically didn't play against Kerry,forget about the sweeper crack. Priority is avoiding relegation and if we finish 2nd in the group it's a bonus after the bad start.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 382 - 12/05/2017 14:23:39    1986247

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "We're just not playing well this year but I think that will change on Sunday, big game and it won't be easy,Meath have beaten us in the last 3 championship meetings. I expect Shane Power to be back from injury and maybe Aaron Craig too,Aonghus Clarke is the best no.6 in the county,that's the place for him which leaves Paul Greville free to move up full forward where we are lacking a bit of clever toughness.Cormac Boyle will be hurling better now also which is a benefit. And Niall O Brien basically didn't play against Kerry,forget about the sweeper crack. Priority is avoiding relegation and if we finish 2nd in the group it's a bonus after the bad start."
Agree totally Meath will be on a high but if both teams play to their capability we will win
Problem is up to now we are not near that.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 12/05/2017 18:32:12    1986322

Link

I hope we can win. We've been playing at a higher level for a number of years
However, the former guide says Meath

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 12/05/2017 23:23:27    1986365

Link

Great win
The discipline issue needs to be sorted.
Two games in a row down to 14, it nearly caught up on us

Great draw too!
With the right players on the field and a more positive approach we can win that

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 14/05/2017 17:52:13    1986598

Link

As the hoganstand report says Westmeath were able to do it when it really mattered. Fair play.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 847 - 14/05/2017 19:07:29    1986626

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "As the hoganstand report says Westmeath were able to do it when it really mattered. Fair play."
Great win but we havent a hope vs Offaly Unless the Management sort out the ill discipline not just the red cards in the last two matches but the five or six punishments for querieing the ref. Still a huge win and get our act together and we can Make a Leinster semi

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 701 - 14/05/2017 19:42:14    1986636

Link

Wel done ye ba*ta*ds, yas were that little bit better than us, an deserved to win, was good to be back playing ye again, doyle at fullback is a beast he could play on any team, mc nicolas nearly cost you, to be honest ye are goin nowhere with him strutting around the pitch, clarke also had a serious game for ye,, best of luck against offaly

otherlad (Meath) - Posts: 132 - 14/05/2017 21:56:13    1986664

Link