Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Was at inter final on Sunday. Caulry were well deserved winners and look very young and fit. Milltownpass tried hard but were outclassed in every position. To leave Caulry center back Maguire roam up the pitch was a big error of judgement on MTPass behalf. 6, 11 and there corner back were very good. 2 finals in a row to loose is tough on MTPass but they might bounce back. I always though Milltownpass were mainly white jerseys?
MTPAss were unlucky for 1 of the goals where the ref deemed a free kick receiver was not far enough away from the ball and he gave the free to Caulry in which they got a goal directly from it. Harsh but i think that is the rule.
Anyways again Intermediate it was a good Championship - Any team has a chance of winning it year on year so no guarantees for anyone.

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 179 - 08/10/2019 12:42:50    2242035

Link

Was talking to a Milltownpass supporter at the game who told me they had 8 different players starting from last years final, If they get Finbar Coyne back next year they could go one step further next year.

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 107 - 08/10/2019 15:17:17    2242072

Link

Well done to Caulry on winning Intermediate. Their manager deserves a lot of credit. They looked a completely different team to last year. Their fitness level was very evident on Sunday and they were very well organised for such a young team. They could make a proper go at senior if they stick together.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 08/10/2019 15:19:18    2242074

Link

I was informed on the turnstile that the season ticket is not valid for county finals apparently. Tried to find the T&Cs on the website but they don't seem to be available anywhere. Emailed the CB also but no response from them of course.
Funny that you can get into an All Ireland Club Final with the season ticket, but not a junior or intermediate final in Westmeath.
I suppose I'll have to fork out 15 or 20 quid again this Sunday.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 230 - 08/10/2019 15:46:54    2242089

Link

With the intermediate/junior all over and done with who do we all think will win the big one on Sunday?
The more I think about it the more I fancy Garrycastle to do it.
Whatever way it goes I hope it is a close entertaining game.

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 09/10/2019 18:37:30    2242410

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "I was informed on the turnstile that the season ticket is not valid for county finals apparently. Tried to find the T&Cs on the website but they don't seem to be available anywhere. Emailed the CB also but no response from them of course.
Funny that you can get into an All Ireland Club Final with the season ticket, but not a junior or intermediate final in Westmeath.
I suppose I'll have to fork out 15 or 20 quid again this Sunday."
Season tickets are only for local club games, all club games, if you purchase the Club plus option when you purchase your season ticket. I fail to see why Westmeath can't like Offaly and Tipp and Louth too, I think, have a weekend ticket available for a set fee to enable you to go to all games at weekend. I heard excuse about not doing it before. Laziness most likely. One of the Counties has them up on tickets.ie to purchase.

TToatler (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 10/10/2019 14:00:56    2242567

Link

Replying To TToatler:  "Season tickets are only for local club games, all club games, if you purchase the Club plus option when you purchase your season ticket. I fail to see why Westmeath can't like Offaly and Tipp and Louth too, I think, have a weekend ticket available for a set fee to enable you to go to all games at weekend. I heard excuse about not doing it before. Laziness most likely. One of the Counties has them up on tickets.ie to purchase."
The Club plus option is the one that I chose when I bought the ticket, with the understanding that it was for all club championship games in the county.
I agree that there should be a weekend pass alright.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 230 - 10/10/2019 15:21:48    2242586

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "The Club plus option is the one that I chose when I bought the ticket, with the understanding that it was for all club championship games in the county.
I agree that there should be a weekend pass alright."
Did you have difficulty with your club + ticket at local matches.

TToatler (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 10/10/2019 19:16:42    2242643

Link

It states on the G.A.A. website that the Club+ ticket includes club championship fixtures within chosen county. Last weeks games in Cusack Park were club championship fixtures. Your season ticket should have covered you. You should register a complaint with Croke Park. This is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

loughree (Westmeath) - Posts: 45 - 10/10/2019 21:21:04    2242682

Link

Caulry where by far the best team last Sunday. A couple of soft goals kept mpass in it. They also had tang bet up a stick both days only for a soft goal the first day and a ref keeping them in it the second day. Fair play to them. Very young team.

Bal did enough in the 2nd half to be deserved winners.

Gcastle will have a huge say on Sunday. Keep Mr Heslin low on scores and they will win.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 124 - 11/10/2019 11:10:57    2242763

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "Caulry where by far the best team last Sunday. A couple of soft goals kept mpass in it. They also had tang bet up a stick both days only for a soft goal the first day and a ref keeping them in it the second day. Fair play to them. Very young team.

Gcastle will have a huge say on Sunday. Keep Mr Heslin low on scores and they will win."
Ref kept them in it on the second day...

Foolish comment, Caulry should have been home and hosed on the first day, why don't you focus in on that. We all give out about referees during a match but I don't see why there is a need that we continue to bash them long after the final whistle. That game was three weeks ago? Sean Sheridan in the paper is right, I don't know how anyone sticks it with all the abuse people are writing lately. I've noticed it in the last year or so, it's almost always criticism online.

I thought both did well last Sunday, daly might have missed a few cards but overall I don't think it impacted on the game. Both were free flowing when they needed to be.

WestmeathFan (Westmeath) - Posts: 9 - 11/10/2019 11:58:50    2242782

Link

Replying To WestmeathFan:  "Ref kept them in it on the second day...

Foolish comment, Caulry should have been home and hosed on the first day, why don't you focus in on that. We all give out about referees during a match but I don't see why there is a need that we continue to bash them long after the final whistle. That game was three weeks ago? Sean Sheridan in the paper is right, I don't know how anyone sticks it with all the abuse people are writing lately. I've noticed it in the last year or so, it's almost always criticism online.

I thought both did well last Sunday, daly might have missed a few cards but overall I don't think it impacted on the game. Both were free flowing when they needed to be."
I did mention the soft goal they conceded the first day didn't i? Now I also missed the first 10 mins of the game in Athlone but i said the ref kept tang in it because thats exactly what happened in the 50 mins i seen. alot of other posters seem to agree? Its nothing against tang or caulry btw

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 124 - 11/10/2019 13:41:43    2242810

Link

Replying To TToatler:  "Did you have difficulty with your club + ticket at local matches."
I did indeed, I was informed that it wasn't valid for finals. I tried to contact the county board but they don't want to respond.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 230 - 11/10/2019 13:42:26    2242811

Link

Replying To loughree:  "It states on the G.A.A. website that the Club+ ticket includes club championship fixtures within chosen county. Last weeks games in Cusack Park were club championship fixtures. Your season ticket should have covered you. You should register a complaint with Croke Park. This is unacceptable and should not be tolerated."
Yes that's what I would have thought. It states on the gaa website that the T&Cs for the Club+ ticket are laid out by each individual county board, but these are nowhere to be found on the Westmeath website. Maybe you're right about contacting Croke Park.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 230 - 11/10/2019 13:44:12    2242812

Link

But I agree with you in saying both Ken Daly and Alan Coyne had great games last sunday. I didnt see any of the players or management teams overly excited with many decisions so thats always a good sign.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 124 - 11/10/2019 13:45:52    2242813

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "Caulry where by far the best team last Sunday. A couple of soft goals kept mpass in it. They also had tang bet up a stick both days only for a soft goal the first day and a ref keeping them in it the second day. Fair play to them. Very young team.

Gcastle will have a huge say on Sunday. Keep Mr Heslin low on scores and they will win."
Didn't think the ref was too bad on either day myself. Caulry definitely have some good young players there if they can keep them together.
The senior game on Sunday is close to 50/50 imo. Loman's seem to have gone back a bit from a couple of years ago, obviously losing the likes of Sharry and Dempsey this was likely to happen. I know they gave Garrycastle a bit of a hiding in the group, but I think it'll be far closer on Sunday. Keeping Heslin quiet is a task easier said than done but if they can do that they're in with a great shout.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 230 - 11/10/2019 13:48:14    2242814

Link

Several lads on here talking about keeping how keeping Heslin quiet is the key for Garrycastle when in fact young Cox has been the standout player for Lomans in this years championship imo. Very direct pacy footballer very hard to handle for defenders

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 11/10/2019 14:20:18    2242822

Link

"Keep Heslin quiet" here we go again. If that's Garrycastles focus then they will be in trouble but I doubt that will be the case. Heslin has been trigger happy shooting from 50m with an average return and while he gets on the scoresheet its the other Lomans players winning their games. They have good players all over.

Who is going to keep the garrycastle forwards quiet? They too have a very strong forward line with plenty of quality backup on the bench if one or two of them have an off day.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 11/10/2019 15:16:17    2242834

Link

Replying To borisdblade:  ""Keep Heslin quiet" here we go again. If that's Garrycastles focus then they will be in trouble but I doubt that will be the case. Heslin has been trigger happy shooting from 50m with an average return and while he gets on the scoresheet its the other Lomans players winning their games. They have good players all over.

Who is going to keep the garrycastle forwards quiet? They too have a very strong forward line with plenty of quality backup on the bench if one or two of them have an off day."
I agree Garrycastle forwards have been flying this year and the depth off the bench is very strong. In the semi final They had Conor Cosgrove, Ger heneghan, James Sheerin that came off the bench and I also saw Cathal Mannion's name in the program in my opinion he was one of there top forwards last year before a bad knee injury and hasn't played any football this year so i wonder will he be fit? I think on Sunday it will be two top forward lines going toe to toe

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 11/10/2019 16:04:29    2242839

Link

Well done garrycastle

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 13/10/2019 19:44:23    2243212

Link