Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The word around the south of the county is that Garrycastle have no problem with Maher getting the county final.

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 29/09/2019 11:01:09    2239980

Link

Replying To WestmeathFan:  "I've only seen Daly ref once or twice but didn't take any notice of him (which is a good sign).

Harsh comment on Coyne, apparently making decent progress on inter-county scene. Your username suggests you're from his neighbouring football club, explains the bias.

I think there is a conflict of interest with Maher, however I will add that I have seen him a few times this year alone and has done a good job. Can be very by the book in terms of cards though. Consistent with every team in fairness."
For clarity

I believe Daly to be a good ref, he is not over fussy and lets game flow
I am not biased towards Coyne or from a neighbouring club (not even near), have seen him ref and wasn't impressed particularly this year, and when the ref is the talking point after the match and there's a common denominator of one or both teams unhappy with his performance after games then there's usually a reason.
I wasn't suggesting Maher is not a decent ref or that he's not fair, but the fact that there's posters already on here pointing out potential conflict of interest is giving county board a stick to beat themselves with.

Anyway with the match up in the finals I don't think a debatable refereeing decision here or there should affect the outcomes.

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 29/09/2019 11:30:42    2239992

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "For clarity

I believe Daly to be a good ref, he is not over fussy and lets game flow
I am not biased towards Coyne or from a neighbouring club (not even near), have seen him ref and wasn't impressed particularly this year, and when the ref is the talking point after the match and there's a common denominator of one or both teams unhappy with his performance after games then there's usually a reason.
I wasn't suggesting Maher is not a decent ref or that he's not fair, but the fact that there's posters already on here pointing out potential conflict of interest is giving county board a stick to beat themselves with.

Anyway with the match up in the finals I don't think a debatable refereeing decision here or there should affect the outcomes."
Maher made some terrible decisions in the intermediate semi final replay today. He didn't favour either team but you could see both sets of players getting really frustrated with him.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 29/09/2019 19:24:20    2240086

Link

Not favouring either team? That not indicate he did a good job?

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 29/09/2019 21:04:47    2240121

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Not favouring either team? That not indicate he did a good job?"
No it would indicate that the end result was probably a fair result despite his poor performance.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 30/09/2019 00:10:55    2240175

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Not favouring either team? That not indicate he did a good job?"
Yes and No respectively...

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 30/09/2019 09:23:14    2240194

Link

any one at the Caulry v Tang semi ? can you change penalty shooter on penalty retakes? ref got some abuse from both sets of supporters

Westmeathgeal (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 04/10/2019 13:19:41    2241330

Link

Yes. New guy can take retake. Ref was 100% correct. Keeper kept encroaching despite warnings. Ref got abuse from both sides?? Major news.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 04/10/2019 17:34:11    2241372

Link

What's everyone's verdict on the intermediate/junior finals?
I see Caulry and Bal coming out on top

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 04/10/2019 19:06:14    2241389

Link

Replying To Westmeathgeal:  "any one at the Caulry v Tang semi ? can you change penalty shooter on penalty retakes? ref got some abuse from both sets of supporters"
Ref was right , you can change taker and the goalie was off his line. I doubt the Tang crowd were giving abuse , from where I was, it was the caulry crowd giving all the abuse

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 107 - 04/10/2019 19:18:59    2241392

Link

The ref was making mistake after mistake hence why both sets of players and supporters were frustrated.

The penalty retakes were correct by the rulebook but harsh given what cluxton got away with in AI final. It's a rule that needs to be reviewed. I'd say very close to 100% of penalty saves are illegal and the vast majority are allowed. It's hard to expect a keeper to stay on the line.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 05/10/2019 16:17:22    2241492

Link

Some statement. Correct by the rule book but harsh etc. Surely being correct by the rule book is what you're looking for. Criticize Gough so but praise Damien Maher.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 05/10/2019 17:59:13    2241497

Link

Some statement. Correct by the rule book but harsh etc. Surely being correct by the rule book is what you're looking for. Criticize Gough so but praise Damien Maher.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 05/10/2019 18:20:14    2241504

Link

Replying To Moorehead. Ref was right , you can change taker and the goalie was off his line. I doubt the Tang crowd were giving abuse, from where I was, it was the caulry crowd giving all the abuse.

It was a harsh decision; the first penalty was a good save and should have stood. The second penalty was poorly taken and any goalie would have come out to meet the ball it was going so slow. Penalty number 3 the goalie was afraid to blink or he might get the line.

Icehouse (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 05/10/2019 21:48:39    2241540

Link

Some people want it done by the book (reasonable expectation), some want to let everything go, Pat Mc style and others want it somewhere in between. You can't please everyone! Evident from this forum as an example.
The only thing I would expect is consistency, fair play for both teams on the day. Look at soccer, they have professional referees and VAR but people still aren't happy. You will never get it 100% right 100% of the time where there is judgement involved.

WestmeathFan (Westmeath) - Posts: 9 - 06/10/2019 10:24:27    2241573

Link

Congrats to Caulry. A hugely impressive display on the big day, 3-7 by half time, always in control, centre forward was excellent as was Kevin Maguire. Milltiwnpass kept going to their credit and reduced margin to four by one stage but Caulry looked winners all way through. Tough on MTP losing two in a row. Super game, great crowd and fine entertainment. Alan Coyne had an impressive game as ref.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 06/10/2019 19:27:56    2241646

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Congrats to Caulry. A hugely impressive display on the big day, 3-7 by half time, always in control, centre forward was excellent as was Kevin Maguire. Milltiwnpass kept going to their credit and reduced margin to four by one stage but Caulry looked winners all way through. Tough on MTP losing two in a row. Super game, great crowd and fine entertainment. Alan Coyne had an impressive game as ref."
Agreed great entertainment Caulry were very good and deserved victory as did Bal after all those years of failure

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 06/10/2019 22:48:44    2241684

Link

Yes well done Caulry. Best team on the day and played some lovely football. Seem to be young enough so their hard work at underage is reaping reward. Not a good idea to have your 11 play sweeper and give the impressive Kevin McGuire a free role. Changed after 20 mins but damage was done. Thought Coyne did well, a bit fussy on some frees but as already said, hard to please everybody but overall a decent outing and hope he continues up the ranks.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 660 - 07/10/2019 13:42:35    2241824

Link

Well folks who ye got Garrycastle or St Lomans ??? I fancy St Lomans

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 107 - 08/10/2019 00:09:46    2241953

Link

Ballynacarrigy were deserving winners in the first game. Finea gave them a serious scare though, kicked some great scores and were the better team in the first half. Not many will begrudge Bal for finally getting over the line in a final. Their full forward line combined well throughout the game.

Caulry were exceptional in the first half. The three goals were all top class. McCormack, Clinton and Maguire were all very impressive. Miltownpass never gave up but were always kept at arms length.

Overall two good games. Great to see the big attendance also.
I thought the both refs were good, perhaps a bit picky but it didn't effect the games overall.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 08/10/2019 10:13:30    2241995

Link