Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Anyone know the date for the Football Senior County Final?

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1053 - 22/09/2019 22:46:52    2238390

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i totally agree and indeed after watching today i give them a better chance than i would have . they are a good side and
i look forward to a good competitive final"
I think we'd all agree that Westmeath needs a good final Mick. John Heslin, Ronan O'Toole and James Dolan would adorn any stage but there are good young players on both teams that are capable of contributing to the county scene and maybe the county final will provide them with the opportunity to impress Jack Cooney and his team.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 169 - 22/09/2019 22:54:44    2238391

Link

Quality of the two semi finals wasn't great again but the weather was awful in both games.
Garrycastle look very well drilled a lot of people have wrote them off the last few years and nobody gave them a chance this year but they look very hungry on Saturday evening with some good young talent. Shamrocks had a wonderful year last year and have been brilliant champions but they are missing a marquee forward if they had one there would be no stoping them.
As for Lomans they didn't look great tonight but I thought the Downs didn't let them play. The Downs will win a championship within 3 years if they keep that core brunch of players together.
Tj Cox was very good, Lomans showed there experience when it matter and that's what got them over the line even with Heslin and o toole having an off day.
Garrycastle vs St Lomans final in my opinion the two best teams in the county this year so it should be a cracking final

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 22/09/2019 23:35:20    2238402

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "You obviously know nothing about football or refereeing so. Garrycastle were the better team and deservedly won but there was total consensus among supporters of both clubs and neutrals that the refereeing was at best puzzling and on occasions baffling. The players on both sides, not to mention management, grew increasingly frustrated as the game went on."
Agreed. Last nights display was a much more competent approach

WestmeathFan (Westmeath) - Posts: 9 - 23/09/2019 07:55:59    2238419

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Anyone know the date for the Football Senior County Final?"
Sun 13th Oct for SFC Final I believe.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 660 - 23/09/2019 11:20:17    2238463

Link

Replying To Temple56:  "Quality of the two semi finals wasn't great again but the weather was awful in both games.
Garrycastle look very well drilled a lot of people have wrote them off the last few years and nobody gave them a chance this year but they look very hungry on Saturday evening with some good young talent. Shamrocks had a wonderful year last year and have been brilliant champions but they are missing a marquee forward if they had one there would be no stoping them.
As for Lomans they didn't look great tonight but I thought the Downs didn't let them play. The Downs will win a championship within 3 years if they keep that core brunch of players together.
Tj Cox was very good, Lomans showed there experience when it matter and that's what got them over the line even with Heslin and o toole having an off day.
Garrycastle vs St Lomans final in my opinion the two best teams in the county this year so it should be a cracking final"
Yes I agree, two bad nights for football. Shamrocks hadn't same hunger and lack of 1 quality forward is hurting them. I thought the ref was very poor. Lomans just did enough to get over the line. I think they will do the same in the final.

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 23/09/2019 11:54:17    2238472

Link

I wouldnt rule out Garrycastle at all. Lomans have plenty of talented players but they look very disjointed and were very wasteful when attacking, The Downs played more direct and had they got a goal they could easily have won. I think Garrycastle are more organised and experienced that they go and win the final.

As for the Intermediate, It looks like a Miltownpass vs Caulry final which could go either way. I thought Tang would win it this year with the way they had been playing but they always seem to bottle it at semi finals. They had Caulry on the ropes for the entire second half and yet couldnt put them away. Will be 2 interesting finals

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 26/09/2019 16:43:35    2239423

Link

Replying To borisdblade:  "I wouldnt rule out Garrycastle at all. Lomans have plenty of talented players but they look very disjointed and were very wasteful when attacking, The Downs played more direct and had they got a goal they could easily have won. I think Garrycastle are more organised and experienced that they go and win the final.

As for the Intermediate, It looks like a Miltownpass vs Caulry final which could go either way. I thought Tang would win it this year with the way they had been playing but they always seem to bottle it at semi finals. They had Caulry on the ropes for the entire second half and yet couldnt put them away. Will be 2 interesting finals"
I think you may be wrong about Tang vs Caulry. Tang invariably play better away from Cusack park and will enjoy Athlone. The senior final may not be so easy for Lomans either.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 26/09/2019 22:30:24    2239509

Link

Think it will be a Milltownpass v tang final. With milltown edging it. Was in looking at milltown against moate although moate we're poor Milltownpass full forward line was really good, the corner forward getting the goal, Andy Devine was very good with he's free taking, and the full forward Liam brennan kick 6 lovely points from play also Sam Duncan was very good in the middle of midfield, it will be very hard to stop milltown this year

Dean1252 (Westmeath) - Posts: 2 - 27/09/2019 11:53:45    2239600

Link

Thought Sam Duncan was only average considering his status as a county player. Agree about full forward line. Young Kelly was very lively too. Key men for MTP were Liam Reilly at 3, excellent second half and Gavin Glennon was outstanding at midfield. Scored two points and had countless possessions and used ball very well. His workrate was exceptional

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 27/09/2019 12:56:20    2239619

Link

interesting appointments if you ask me???
Sunday 06/10/2019
TEG Cusack Park: Clarkes Bar JFC Final
Ballynacargy v Castletown Finea\Coole\Whitehall 13:30 Ken Daly
Standby Referee; Enda Kelly, Linesman; Paul McCaughey, Fourth Official; Sean Carroll.

Writech IFC Final
Milltownpass v Tang\Caulry 15:30 Alan Coyne
Standby Referee; Keith O'Brien, Linesman; Ken Gunning, Fourth Official; Mick Gordon.

Shay Murtagh SFC Final
Garrycastle v St.Lomans 15:30 Damien Maher
Standby Referee; Pat Fox, Linesman; Declan Nugent, Fourth Official; Jim Rock.

Lakecountygaa (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 27/09/2019 15:01:44    2239658

Link

Why are they interesting appointments?

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 27/09/2019 23:43:40    2239768

Link

Replying To Lakecountygaa:  "interesting appointments if you ask me???
Sunday 06/10/2019
Standby Referee; Enda Kelly, Linesman; Paul McCaughey, Fourth Official; Sean Carroll.

Writech IFC Final
Standby Referee; Keith O'Brien, Linesman; Ken Gunning, Fourth Official; Mick Gordon.

Shay Murtagh SFC Final
Standby Referee; Pat Fox, Linesman; Declan Nugent, Fourth Official; Jim Rock."
Which ones are interesting so you mind me asking?

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 28/09/2019 01:00:28    2239777

Link

My initial post didn't get posted. I would have thought if you were married to a staunch member of one club that would have ruled you out not to mention of doing them in a final

Lakecountygaa (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 28/09/2019 07:42:59    2239783

Link

Replying To Temple56:  "Which ones are interesting so you mind me asking?"
Damien Mahers wife is Lomans mad, he also works in mullingar as far as I'm aware. Unusual appointment

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 28/09/2019 08:55:26    2239787

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Thought Sam Duncan was only average considering his status as a county player. Agree about full forward line. Young Kelly was very lively too. Key men for MTP were Liam Reilly at 3, excellent second half and Gavin Glennon was outstanding at midfield. Scored two points and had countless possessions and used ball very well. His workrate was exceptional"
Agree. Gavin Glennon was very good, whoever comes through the other semi final will have to watch young brennan and Kelly, they 2 of them link up very well

Dean1252 (Westmeath) - Posts: 2 - 28/09/2019 12:21:13    2239812

Link

I could be wrong but isn't Damien Maher the head of refereeing in the county so he has appointed himself for this final?

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 28/09/2019 12:47:36    2239817

Link

Replying To Iarmhi04:  "I could be wrong but isn't Damien Maher the head of refereeing in the county so he has appointed himself for this final?"
As far as I know he is fixtures secretary of county board. What diff does it make if he is best for the job

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 76 - 28/09/2019 20:24:14    2239884

Link

Replying To Lakecountygaa:  "interesting appointments if you ask me???
Sunday 06/10/2019

Writech IFC Final

Shay Murtagh SFC Final
Standby Referee; Pat Fox, Linesman; Declan Nugent, Fourth Official; Jim Rock."
Frees won't come too easy in the junior, Ken Daly old school and gives nothing that is isn't earned.

Wouldn't give Coyne an underage match never mind an intermediate final.

Not questioning Mahers integrity but there is an argument here for conflict of interest and this appointment surely shouldn't happen.

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 28/09/2019 20:25:13    2239885

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "Frees won't come too easy in the junior, Ken Daly old school and gives nothing that is isn't earned.

Wouldn't give Coyne an underage match never mind an intermediate final.

Not questioning Mahers integrity but there is an argument here for conflict of interest and this appointment surely shouldn't happen."
I've only seen Daly ref once or twice but didn't take any notice of him (which is a good sign).

Harsh comment on Coyne, apparently making decent progress on inter-county scene. Your username suggests you're from his neighbouring football club, explains the bias.

I think there is a conflict of interest with Maher, however I will add that I have seen him a few times this year alone and has done a good job. Can be very by the book in terms of cards though. Consistent with every team in fairness.

WestmeathFan (Westmeath) - Posts: 9 - 29/09/2019 08:39:23    2239942

Link