Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To westmeathman99:  "Standard of refereeing in this county is beyond a joke lads!"
You could have written that in any county forum. Standard in Westmeath no worse than anywhere else. Gaelic Football is extremely difficult to referee. There is no agreed definition of a tackle. There will always be mistakes. But we won't all agree on what those mistakes are!

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 245 - 25/07/2019 13:33:35    2216277

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "Standard of refereeing in this county is beyond a joke lads!"
I have made this point before, somewhat of a referee sympathiser I know, but in comparison to other counties we have a very good standard. In recent years I have been to club games in not only neighbouring counties but in all 4 provinces, we are up there with the best. Some counties struggle to have linesmen/umpires at championship games. I am aware that our referees have even gone through video analysis of matches.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 25/07/2019 13:58:34    2216294

Link

Replying To tazz:  "Killucan were the better team for me last night but failed to convert their chances. shold have left the goalkeeper in the goals after he missed the first of three second half frees. . .they also definitely should have been awarded a penalty in the second half and if converted could have put them out of reach with about 15 minutes togo. Shandonagh to be fair kept plugging and got their rewards, some good long range points.
Tyrrellspass never looked likely to win against a strong Loman's outfit but in fairmess they did ask a lot of questions. If Tyrrellspass were able to convert the chances from free kicks there might have been an upset on the cards. Lomans would have struggled if Heslin wasn't there. He was the difference in the end, kicking some good points and was very instrumental in the goal scored in second half."
agree Tazz. if kilucan had a free taker the game would have had a different complexion. that said shandonagh had a number of players missing; i would imagine they would be happy having won with those players absent. in terms of refereeing; there were at least 4 black card offences where only 1 ( least meritted of the 4 ) occurred. the off the ball incidences in full view of linemen was eyebrow raising ( no indications to ref). Lomans were definitely stronger team versus pass; again it was quite close the fact pass had about 5 players missing also

Rossieruan (Westmeath) - Posts: 73 - 25/07/2019 19:21:32    2216468

Link

Don't agree about the referees lads. Outside the top 7/8 refs that get the senior games, rest are poor. Speaking to people involved with football in Westmeath that are from other counties have often said it, it's terrible here compared to their own counties. You have refs holding grudges against certain players and clubs! And this can be seen by neutrals rather than just the victims

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 25/07/2019 22:36:58    2216563

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "Don't agree about the referees lads. Outside the top 7/8 refs that get the senior games, rest are poor. Speaking to people involved with football in Westmeath that are from other counties have often said it, it's terrible here compared to their own counties. You have refs holding grudges against certain players and clubs! And this can be seen by neutrals rather than just the victims"
I don't think that's a fair comment. I found other counties often had a lower standard. Off the top of my head there is at least 15 (football & hurling) that are at a good standard.

I doubt referee's hold grudges, some may have a certain style which suit certain players. You know when you're going out what you'll be let away with and what you won't be. The problem is most people don't understand the rules.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 26/07/2019 10:57:16    2216689

Link

A major problem we have with regards to the refs is that there seems to be little consistency between them. What one ref would give a black for, another might only give a yellow etc. I appreciate that they have a tough job and some of the rules are open to interpretation, but it can be frustrating to see similar situations constantly dealt with in different ways.

Getting back on topic, Garrycastle seem to be moving well in senior, along with Rosemount and Shandonagh in the other group. Milltown going well in the intermediate too, and Multy & Ballymore are 2 from 2 in the second group.

Could be some very interesting games ahead, intermediate especially seems to be more even than first anticipated.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 230 - 26/07/2019 12:56:39    2216740

Link

Tpass and Athlone will not get any more points. Seen both Athlone games and they have a good few very young players but their county man looks the worst player on the pitch for them.
Early days but its Garrycastle or lomans for the title for me.

Slippery590 (Westmeath) - Posts: 9 - 26/07/2019 22:26:11    2216945

Link

Killucan to beat st Mary's on Thursday night.
Big game for both sides . Neither have points yet. Will Paul greville be back for killucan ?

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 30/07/2019 17:47:57    2218823

Link

SFC G1
The Downs V Shamrocks - Shamrocks to edge it
Athlone V St.Lomans - Straightforward Lomans win
Garrycastle V Tyrellspass - Garrycastle to win again

SFC G2
Killucan V St. Marys - The losers here will most likely go down, think Killucan may have enough
Shandonagh V Kinnegad - Winner probably finishes in top 2 this year, Kinnegads experience to edge it
Rosemount V Castledaly - Underage colleagues, think Rosemount should continue their winning start here

IFC G1
Caulry V Milltownpass - Milltownpass to get another win
Maryland v Moate - should be an entertaining derby, Marylands 2 county lads to help them edge it
Milltown V Tang - Probably the 2 favourites this year, Draw

IFC G2
Bunbrosna V St.Malachys - tight call, Mals to edge it
Multyfarnham V Kilbeggan - Multy will have too much here
Ballymore V Tubberclare - Ballymore to keep up their good start

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 245 - 31/07/2019 11:42:10    2219044

Link

Killucan with an important win last night. St Mary's are in trouble now. They still have Shandonagh and Kinnegad to play but they might need to win both games to stay up, depending on other results.

anon (None) - Posts: 328 - 02/08/2019 09:50:56    2219658

Link

Replying To anon:  "Killucan with an important win last night. St Mary's are in trouble now. They still have Shandonagh and Kinnegad to play but they might need to win both games to stay up, depending on other results."
Cant see them winning either of those games on what I've seen so far. They needed to win last night to stay up

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 245 - 02/08/2019 10:49:39    2219684

Link

Comprehensive from Shamrocks. The Downs concede so many goals. That's 9 in 3 games this year.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 245 - 02/08/2019 20:54:27    2219894

Link

Thought it was men against boys in Cusack tonight. Downs don't look to have leaders anywhere on the pitch. Shamrocks getting players back and Denis Corroon was unmarkable wil be a force again this year.

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 02/08/2019 22:38:35    2219926

Link

Garrycastle looked good last night in cusack park. Don't know what happened Tpass just fell asunder. changes they made was baffling

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 76 - 05/08/2019 14:16:34    2221132

Link

Getting into the business end now.
Lomans and Garrycastle look set for the SF. Mullingar and the winners of the Downs/T'pass for the QF. Wouldnt be surprised to see the Downs win their last 2 games and squeeze through.
Rosemount and Kinnegad looking likely for the QF in group 2. Shandonagh might get through as well if Rosemount are through already and rest lads for the final game. St. Marys heading back down to Intermediate it looks like.

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 245 - 06/08/2019 09:39:40    2221443

Link

I see we have fixtures next Saturday evening clashing with the All Ireland semi final. Surely we could have avoided this

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 107 - 06/08/2019 15:28:27    2221659

Link

Can anyone else see any other team winning the senior championship this year besides St.Lomans or Garrycastle?
And in the intermediate it's a closer call what teams will make the final?

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 07/08/2019 16:58:52    2222281

Link

I fancy Tang in the intermediate and still think Shamrocks could come with strong run as they did last year

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 55 - 07/08/2019 17:25:03    2222296

Link

Bun to beat multy by a few points tomorrow evening

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 08/08/2019 21:00:28    2222820

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "Bun to beat multy by a few points tomorrow evening"
Think Multy will have too much pace for bun

User_54321 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 09/08/2019 00:28:47    2222895

Link