Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To The_Fonz:  "Are ya from Collinstown or Wexford a vic?"
Probably a lad from Westmeath that couldn't get a game here in the county, so moved to Wexford to play "Junior B I would say". He must have a lot of time on his hands looking for other people's mistakes.

CHAMPS (Westmeath) - Posts: 36 - 19/10/2019 16:51:03    2244393

Link

Replying To CHAMPS:  "Probably a lad from Westmeath that couldn't get a game here in the county, so moved to Wexford to play "Junior B I would say". He must have a lot of time on his hands looking for other people's mistakes."
Lighten up. Obviously a joke

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 19/10/2019 18:27:36    2244419

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "I believe there are a good few Hughs in the south of the county"
If you look up the birth records over the last 80 years in westmeath there have been exactly 2000 Hughs born in South Westmeath.. If you look up the Death records over the last 80 years of the amount of Hughs that died who were also born in that time frame you will find that there are only 1427 still alive.
Recent surveys suggest that approximately 50% of westmeath males are interested in Gaelic football which reduces the number of Hughs to 713.5. Out of those 713.5 football supporting Hughs there are 71 living in the Caulry Garrycastle catchment areas so we can assume they will all attend both matches given the proximity of both clubs. This leaves 642.5 football supporting Hughs of which I would estimate 90% of these Hughs are casual supporters and will not attend for various reasons. This leaves 64.25 Hughs.
So, (64.25 + 71 =) 135.25 Hughs will want to attend both matches.
This is just an estimate. I haven't allowed for Hughs over 80yrs old or Hughs who have no interest in GAA but feel obliged to go as they are living in the representing clubs communities...

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 20/10/2019 18:10:03    2244582

Link

Fit them all behind the goals. Close off the rest of the park.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 21/10/2019 17:25:56    2244829

Link

Was anyone in Cusack today for Garrycastle game? Wasn't able to make it myself, Some win

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 27/10/2019 16:42:56    2246134

Link

Killoe were surprisingly poor considering they won a very competitive Longford championship. Garrycastle always looked in control. Dessie was excellent in first half, took up good positions and availed of good work by Nugent in particular. Justin Barrett, James Dolan, Doran Harte and John Gaffey very influential too. A solid team performance with subs contributing like county final but not as necessary on this occasion. Garrycastle extremely fit and home advantage next versus Ratoath.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 27/10/2019 16:53:43    2246135

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Killoe were surprisingly poor considering they won a very competitive Longford championship. Garrycastle always looked in control. Dessie was excellent in first half, took up good positions and availed of good work by Nugent in particular. Justin Barrett, James Dolan, Doran Harte and John Gaffey very influential too. A solid team performance with subs contributing like county final but not as necessary on this occasion. Garrycastle extremely fit and home advantage next versus Ratoath."
Do you think they will go far in this competition? As the feeling from the start of the year that Lomans would dominate and go well In Leinster

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 27/10/2019 23:37:11    2246204

Link

great win by ballinacarrigy at the weekend in the leinster championships. nearly forgot the game was on there was that little about it anywhere

Vemo (Westmeath) - Posts: 7 - 29/10/2019 10:10:01    2246416

Link

Think Garrycastle could go well against Ratoath at the weekend hoping for a better crowd than was at the last match

MCurleyGCastle (Westmeath) - Posts: 2 - 07/11/2019 20:07:17    2248427

Link

Well done garrycastle - doing Westmeath proud in the Leinster club campaign again!

Captainfantastic (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 10/11/2019 18:21:17    2248903

Link

What a game today . Garrycastle were the better team but they thought they had the game won too early. Taking off experience players nearly cost them . They have a mighty chance against ballyboden. They are vastly experienced in vital areas and will be hard to beat

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1214 - 10/11/2019 18:22:30    2248904

Link

Brilliant advertisement for Gaelic football in the Park this afternoon. Garrycastle played their best football of the year for long spells and looked comfortable winners with five mins left. Ratoath, who had a huge following, gradually narrowed the margin and Garrycastle were relieved to get across the line. Another very solid display by the Westmeath standard bearers. The two McCallons, Justin Barrett, the Monaghan brothers and James Sheerin were excellent and Alex Gardiner was brilliant but Garrycastle's strength is their consistency all over the field. Every player made a contribution and apart from a costly goalkeeping error their display was immense. Disappointing support for the home team compared to Ratoath who easily outnumbered Garrycastle support by 5 to 1. Ballyboden will be favourites on the 24th but Garrycastle have a good chance of another Leinster final appearance.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 11/11/2019 00:57:07    2248969

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Brilliant advertisement for Gaelic football in the Park this afternoon. Garrycastle played their best football of the year for long spells and looked comfortable winners with five mins left. Ratoath, who had a huge following, gradually narrowed the margin and Garrycastle were relieved to get across the line. Another very solid display by the Westmeath standard bearers. The two McCallons, Justin Barrett, the Monaghan brothers and James Sheerin were excellent and Alex Gardiner was brilliant but Garrycastle's strength is their consistency all over the field. Every player made a contribution and apart from a costly goalkeeping error their display was immense. Disappointing support for the home team compared to Ratoath who easily outnumbered Garrycastle support by 5 to 1. Ballyboden will be favourites on the 24th but Garrycastle have a good chance of another Leinster final appearance."
Well done to Garrycastle - you were the better team for most of the game - even do Ratoath got off to a bright start - the move to put a man in front two was inspired. Aherne and Wallace were causing some trouble but thereafter the ball into them was cut off or of poor quality. The Garrycastle full forward line got the better of the Ratoath full back line and looked dangerous throughout.
Ratoath showed great spirit to stay in the game and a few poor decisions nearing the end probably cost them. But the better team on the day won. Best of luck against Boden!

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 238 - 11/11/2019 12:23:41    2249051

Link

Great result for Garrycastle.
What's the story with tg4 and rte coverage of club championships? I couldn't make the match yesterday and was hoping to see highlights on tg4 this evening but no luck.
I may be wrong in saying this but I think the 4x Dublin quarter finals, 2x semis and final were televised along with kerrys 2x semi finals and finals (not sure about kerry quarters).. That's 10games involving 2 counties. Garrycastle have now played 2 Leinster club matches and are in a Leinster semi and not even a highlight clip. Seems a bit unfair to them, ratoath and the other counties that get left out. Another thing that's a bit frustrating is tonight on tg4 they showed highlights of the matches that were shown in full yesterday. Bit of a joke it seems.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 11/11/2019 21:51:04    2249157

Link

Garrycastle moving very well in training, keep it quiet but I think an upset is on the cards.

MCurleyGCastle (Westmeath) - Posts: 2 - 16/11/2019 12:45:55    2249856

Link

Any garrycastle youngster available for county team in 2020 ?

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 19/11/2019 15:04:06    2250336

Link

Replying To MCurleyGCastle:  "Garrycastle moving very well in training, keep it quiet but I think an upset is on the cards."
You're not doing a great job keeping it quiet yourself

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 241 - 19/11/2019 15:37:13    2250341

Link

Leinster club looks wide open with obviously Ballyboden as favourites but not to an overwhelming degree. Vincent's or Kilmacud would be regarded as a greater threat at provincial level. Garrycastle have improved steadily since Lomans beat them in group stages. Their panel is stronger with Cathal Mannion, Tom O' Halloran and Ger Heneghan now fully fit, they're carrying no injuries, their record in Cusack Park over the past fifteen years is superb, it's certainly their favourite pitch, huge incentive on Sunday as other teams in Leinster would be seen as decent sides but beatable.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 19/11/2019 16:57:43    2250353

Link

garry castle have improved greatly and in john keane they have one of the best coaches in ireland . they will not fear ballyboden and if they play for the full game they will be hard beaten

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1214 - 20/11/2019 08:54:28    2250441

Link

Weather will suit Garrycastle tomorrow and feel like they can really put it up to Ballyboden. They beat them 10 years ago in similar weather. If Garrycastle start well and get a lead I feel it will take a very good team to beat them as they have serious subs coming off the bench Cosgrove, Heneghan, Mannion and O'Halloran they are 4 serious forwards who didn't start the last day.
I will be in Cusack Park tomorrow supporting them I hope fellow Westmeath supporters will also!!!

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 23/11/2019 14:31:25    2250992

Link