Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Bellewest:  "What's population got to do with it? Combining two clubs is fine as it gives lads games. Four clubs is ridiculous. They beat killucan in semi final, you'll suggest next that killucan have a huge population!!"
But you want to deprive lads of games These four clubs have serious population issues. Your problem is you can't hack small rural clubs getting together and actually challengeing the big urban clubs.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 16/10/2019 08:25:27    2243867

Link

Replying To abitpeevedoff:  "St Martins is not four clubs, Millmore Gaels is a club in itself, with its own committee and stands on its own. Maryland/Tang I believe is the same but I stand to be corrected on that. There were 5 amalgamation teams in the competition so most people would be under the understanding that this was done to allow lads Under 17 to complete.... but some seem to think it was done to 'just to win'. Kinnegad were good enough to win that game on Sunday but just could not push on and close it out."
My view on amalgamations is that they should be used for clubs struggling to field. They should be temporary. Should be in place until clubs involved are able to stand alone and field on their own. I know some may disagree and say well lads involved will play at a higher standard which in some regard is fair enough. But a lot of lads will stop playing because of amalgamations like these. I know of young lads who have chosen not to play for this amalgamation because they'd rather not play at all than to not be given a jersey and sit on the bench and be number 35/36 on the programme!

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 16/10/2019 10:42:53    2243889

Link

Replying To jobber:  "But you want to deprive lads of games These four clubs have serious population issues. Your problem is you can't hack small rural clubs getting together and actually challengeing the big urban clubs."
It wouldn't be depriving lads of games though. Milmore and Maryland/ Tang would both have fielded regardless of the amalgamation. If anything it would have made for healthier competition as it would mean more teams in the tournament

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 16/10/2019 10:46:47    2243891

Link

Killucan a big urban club now!!! Heard it all.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 16/10/2019 11:27:02    2243898

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Killucan a big urban club now!!! Heard it all."
Nobody said they were an urban club but they do have a large area and a big population. Killucan/Raharney are the one parish so they are pulling from 2 villages and there are 3 rapidly expanding national schools in the parish, Rathwire, Edmonton and Raharney. The parish stretches from Knockmant bordering The Downs to Thomastown and Riverstown bordering Kinnegad and Coralstown. It stretches all the way to the railway gates at Bord Na Mona bordering Ballivor back to Sionhill bordering Delvin. And Edmonton over to Cloghan bordering Clonkill.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 135 - 16/10/2019 13:46:01    2243929

Link

The sad thing is, is that it is county board policy to encourage amalgamations which means a lot of young players will be lost to their own clubs and then those adult clubs will eventually have to merge.

we'll be left with the same 4/5 football clubs playing against each other the same way the hurling has gone in the last few years.
it doesn't raise standards at all.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1718 - 16/10/2019 14:36:41    2243940

Link

Replying To valley84:  "The sad thing is, is that it is county board policy to encourage amalgamations which means a lot of young players will be lost to their own clubs and then those adult clubs will eventually have to merge.

we'll be left with the same 4/5 football clubs playing against each other the same way the hurling has gone in the last few years.
it doesn't raise standards at all."
Kerry Cork Westmeath mid nineties would suggest otherwise.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 16/10/2019 18:54:34    2243965

Link

Replying To valley84:  "The sad thing is, is that it is county board policy to encourage amalgamations which means a lot of young players will be lost to their own clubs and then those adult clubs will eventually have to merge.

it doesn't raise standards at all."
The alternative to amalgamation in hurling is to run 9 a side or 11 aside competitions for clubs who can't field 15 a siide. "B" hurling is a choice that clubs can make but most are choosing to amalgamate and play premier level. County board policy is to encourage clubs to play in the best grade they can. At the moment we've around 60 /70 players at each age from 15 up playing hurling in the County. The strongest 3 clubs have an average of 10 players at each age. Nimbers are tighter the closer you get to 18. That's the reality and so amalgamations are the only way to have meaningful competitions.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 36 - 16/10/2019 23:00:41    2244002

Link

Replying To midfield9:  "The alternative to amalgamation in hurling is to run 9 a side or 11 aside competitions for clubs who can't field 15 a siide. "B" hurling is a choice that clubs can make but most are choosing to amalgamate and play premier level. County board policy is to encourage clubs to play in the best grade they can. At the moment we've around 60 /70 players at each age from 15 up playing hurling in the County. The strongest 3 clubs have an average of 10 players at each age. Nimbers are tighter the closer you get to 18. That's the reality and so amalgamations are the only way to have meaningful competitions."
If you look up the birth records on the CSO website you'll see that over the last 20 years there are between 1200-1500 children born annually in Westmeath. More or less 600-700 boys are born each year. Interestingly our figures are comparable to Kilkenny. We have about 10% higher number of births than Offaly and Laois. Meath has more double that of Westmeath.

Based on what midfiled9 has said it appears as though there is 10% participation in some of the age grades. I'd be interested to see how this compares to our neighbouring counties. We all know that as kids get older the participation levels drop off. If there are really only that few boys playing at various grades, amalgamation is the inevitable outcome. Would also be interested to know how many boys played football to compare its participation rate.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 69 - 17/10/2019 09:19:54    2244022

Link

once again we are going off topic . this thread heading is club championship and we have lads on about birth records
explain please

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1214 - 17/10/2019 14:30:58    2244085

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "once again we are going off topic . this thread heading is club championship and we have lads on about birth records
explain please"
Jaysus you're fierce grumpy! It's because the conversation has evolved due to various contributors making a point or comment in response to a previous post and so on, and as such the the original topic has expanded to the present conversation. The topic didn't just take a huge leap from the first round of the championship to birth records, it evolved, particularly in the last week or so due to contributors voicing very valid arguments and concerns based on their opinions and interpretations around certain events that have future impact on Gaelic games within the county and is a very interesting conversation that is well worth having. You don't have to agree with everything that is being said but you can respect other peoples views I'm sure?

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 17/10/2019 16:32:00    2244100

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "Jaysus you're fierce grumpy! It's because the conversation has evolved due to various contributors making a point or comment in response to a previous post and so on, and as such the the original topic has expanded to the present conversation. The topic didn't just take a huge leap from the first round of the championship to birth records, it evolved, particularly in the last week or so due to contributors voicing very valid arguments and concerns based on their opinions and interpretations around certain events that have future impact on Gaelic games within the county and is a very interesting conversation that is well worth having. You don't have to agree with everything that is being said but you can respect other peoples views I'm sure?"
Have to say it good to see and hear other people's opinions on matters of Westmeath GAA. This forum is usually very quiet. The last week has been interesting!

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 17/10/2019 16:51:33    2244105

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "once again we are going off topic . this thread heading is club championship and we have lads on about birth records
explain please"
I agree Mick, two unbelievable finals at the weekend that showcased Westmeath football at its best however people are still finding negatives from it.
Have came on this path form everyday since Sunday hoping to hear people's opinions on the games on Sunday not about the birth records I could go on the CSO website if I wanted to know that

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 17/10/2019 16:54:08    2244106

Link

Leinster intermediate and Senior fixtures are out. Caulry are In athlone on the Saturday and Garrycastle are In cusack Park on the Sunday. Why not have a double header in mullingar on the Sunday. It would bring a Hugh crowd from north and south of the county.

CHAMPS (Westmeath) - Posts: 36 - 17/10/2019 19:33:26    2244133

Link

Replying To CHAMPS:  "Leinster intermediate and Senior fixtures are out. Caulry are In athlone on the Saturday and Garrycastle are In cusack Park on the Sunday. Why not have a double header in mullingar on the Sunday. It would bring a Hugh crowd from north and south of the county."
Caulry are the week after on the Saturday as far as I can see. Ballinacargy are in Lakepoint Park the day before Garrycastle. They could have had that as a double header but I'd imagine Westmeath county board has no input into it. I'd guess that the dates and times are a Leinster council decision and Westmeath just have to sort the home venue.

anon (None) - Posts: 328 - 17/10/2019 23:22:28    2244157

Link

Replying To CHAMPS:  "Leinster intermediate and Senior fixtures are out. Caulry are In athlone on the Saturday and Garrycastle are In cusack Park on the Sunday. Why not have a double header in mullingar on the Sunday. It would bring a Hugh crowd from north and south of the county."
I dunno Champs, not sure there's enough Hugh's in the county for that great of a crowd

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 17/10/2019 23:36:36    2244158

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "I dunno Champs, not sure there's enough Hugh's in the county for that great of a crowd"
I believe there are a good few Hughs in the south of the county

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 18/10/2019 13:38:07    2244227

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "If you look up the birth records on the CSO website you'll see that over the last 20 years there are between 1200-1500 children born annually in Westmeath. More or less 600-700 boys are born each year. Interestingly our figures are comparable to Kilkenny. We have about 10% higher number of births than Offaly and Laois. Meath has more double that of Westmeath.

Based on what midfiled9 has said it appears as though there is 10% participation in some of the age grades. I'd be interested to see how this compares to our neighbouring counties. We all know that as kids get older the participation levels drop off. If there are really only that few boys playing at various grades, amalgamation is the inevitable outcome. Would also be interested to know how many boys played football to compare its participation rate."
Is it is because our development structures are very poor.
There are a huge number of children in the schools who will never play football or hurling either in school or club because of the way the coaching system is set up and the format of the schools competitions.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1718 - 18/10/2019 14:20:26    2244241

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "Jaysus you're fierce grumpy! It's because the conversation has evolved due to various contributors making a point or comment in response to a previous post and so on, and as such the the original topic has expanded to the present conversation. The topic didn't just take a huge leap from the first round of the championship to birth records, it evolved, particularly in the last week or so due to contributors voicing very valid arguments and concerns based on their opinions and interpretations around certain events that have future impact on Gaelic games within the county and is a very interesting conversation that is well worth having. You don't have to agree with everything that is being said but you can respect other peoples views I'm sure?"
run back to wexford and try and find the money to pay galvin and davy

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1214 - 18/10/2019 14:21:03    2244242

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "I dunno Champs, not sure there's enough Hugh's in the county for that great of a crowd"
Are ya from Collinstown or Wexford a vic?

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 135 - 18/10/2019 18:05:23    2244280

Link