Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Refereeing

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was at the div2/3 league finals tonight in cusack, I was shocked at the standard of Refereeing on show, a waste of money going to games when the ref is the centre of attention

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 30/06/2017 23:54:23    2008215

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "I was at the div2/3 league finals tonight in cusack, I was shocked at the standard of Refereeing on show, a waste of money going to games when the ref is the centre of attention"
If I was you I would be more concerned with the standard of player.The Downs and Milltownpass match was awful.Sure the ref liked to whistle a lot but the centre of attention for me was the poor quality of football.Your reference is to refereeing in Gaa. Westmeath refs have handled more All Ireland finals in the last decade than any other county.Alfie Devine is doing Leinster minor final tomorrow.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 699 - 01/07/2017 06:47:33    2008227

Link

Replying To jobber:  "If I was you I would be more concerned with the standard of player.The Downs and Milltownpass match was awful.Sure the ref liked to whistle a lot but the centre of attention for me was the poor quality of football.Your reference is to refereeing in Gaa. Westmeath refs have handled more All Ireland finals in the last decade than any other county.Alfie Devine is doing Leinster minor final tomorrow."
in hurling!

some clubs have to endure the same poor referees constantly because some clubs provide no refs!

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1683 - 01/07/2017 18:57:53    2008455

Link

Replying To valley84:  "in hurling!

some clubs have to endure the same poor referees constantly because some clubs provide no refs!"
Valley its not up to clubs to "provide" referees, its a voluntary process, people have to want to be a ref. To be fair, in this county who would be a ref? The constant abuse, being threatened by individuals after games etc. I know a number of people who took it up and after 1-2 seasons of underage refereeing threw in the towel because they couldn't hack the abuse.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 01/07/2017 22:42:52    2008641

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "I was at the div2/3 league finals tonight in cusack, I was shocked at the standard of Refereeing on show, a waste of money going to games when the ref is the centre of attention"
What is the point in coming on here and whinging?

Why don't you contact your club or the county board and volunteer instead? In fairness, due to the nature of the job there will always be someone unhappy. Compared to other counties, Westmeath actually place huge emphasis on keeping up the standards of refereeing. They have to do rules and fitness tests each year so what else can you do?

I haven't heard anything negative with regards refereeing from the league finals or from the hurling the other night.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 07/07/2017 10:20:11    2011844

Link

Replying To Ferrett:  "What is the point in coming on here and whinging?

Why don't you contact your club or the county board and volunteer instead? In fairness, due to the nature of the job there will always be someone unhappy. Compared to other counties, Westmeath actually place huge emphasis on keeping up the standards of refereeing. They have to do rules and fitness tests each year so what else can you do?

I haven't heard anything negative with regards refereeing from the league finals or from the hurling the other night."
paying spectators are entitled to referees who apply the rules of the game fairly

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1683 - 07/07/2017 14:47:29    2012003

Link

Fairly? To both teams equally? As per the rule book? Whatever you mean exactly valley by 'fairly' I very much doubt they went out to be 'unfair' in any way. Have you anything positive to say just so we can change the mood on here? I for one believe we can turn Armagh over tomorrow. Will it happen. I don't know but I'll sure as hell be there to cheer the footballers on... Same as I do the hurlers. As John Mullane said.. I loves me county!!

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 07/07/2017 15:42:30    2012036

Link

Replying To d7h:  "Fairly? To both teams equally? As per the rule book? Whatever you mean exactly valley by 'fairly' I very much doubt they went out to be 'unfair' in any way. Have you anything positive to say just so we can change the mood on here? I for one believe we can turn Armagh over tomorrow. Will it happen. I don't know but I'll sure as hell be there to cheer the footballers on... Same as I do the hurlers. As John Mullane said.. I loves me county!!"
Goo stuff Iarmhí abu.Its great to have constructive criticism and God knows we have lots to improve on in Westmeath but continuous whingeing about everything and doing nothing positive to improve things is bull!!!!

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 699 - 07/07/2017 20:41:09    2012134

Link

Replying To d7h:  "Fairly? To both teams equally? As per the rule book? Whatever you mean exactly valley by 'fairly' I very much doubt they went out to be 'unfair' in any way. Have you anything positive to say just so we can change the mood on here? I for one believe we can turn Armagh over tomorrow. Will it happen. I don't know but I'll sure as hell be there to cheer the footballers on... Same as I do the hurlers. As John Mullane said.. I loves me county!!"
some clubs are refereed differently to other clubs.
it's blatantly obvious, has been for years
in football and hurling.

prior reputation or how well the referees know certain players shouldn't come into it.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1683 - 07/07/2017 22:26:34    2012186

Link

Replying To valley84:  "some clubs are refereed differently to other clubs.
in football and hurling.

prior reputation or how well the referees know certain players shouldn't come into it."
Fair play d7h, thats exactly the point i'm making...I have never seen one referee treat another club differently. Fair enough they might miss a few things - Do the Gardai catch every criminal, do Doctors cure every disease? does every forward score? No. It is inherent to the job that they will not get every call 100%, but they do try to be fair. In Westmeath we have a great reputation to be fair for providing great referees

As for your claims that some clubs get different treatment, that is pure fiction. Do you have a personal gripe with a particular referee or what has led you to conclude this? I am genuinely curious to hear why you think this

Ferrett (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 07/07/2017 23:21:52    2012209

Link

Replying To valley84:  "some clubs are refereed differently to other clubs.
in football and hurling.

prior reputation or how well the referees know certain players shouldn't come into it."
Examples??

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 08/07/2017 00:11:18    2012227

Link

Replying To Ferrett:  "Fair play d7h, thats exactly the point i'm making...I have never seen one referee treat another club differently. Fair enough they might miss a few things - Do the Gardai catch every criminal, do Doctors cure every disease? does every forward score? No. It is inherent to the job that they will not get every call 100%, but they do try to be fair. In Westmeath we have a great reputation to be fair for providing great referees

As for your claims that some clubs get different treatment, that is pure fiction. Do you have a personal gripe with a particular referee or what has led you to conclude this? I am genuinely curious to hear why you think this"
you're in la-la land if you think referees don't treat certain players and clubs differently.

it even happens at county level

we have one or two good hurling referees in the county and most clubs are stuck with the rest of them doing games

how many referees actually turned up and did the fitness testing this year in westmeath? how many failed the test for the leinster panel?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1683 - 08/07/2017 09:12:52    2012268

Link

Replying To valley84:  "you're in la-la land if you think referees don't treat certain players and clubs differently.

we have one or two good hurling referees in the county and most clubs are stuck with the rest of them doing games

how many referees actually turned up and did the fitness testing this year in westmeath? how many failed the test for the leinster panel?"
I don't know... Enlighten us

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 08/07/2017 21:40:11    2012553

Link

In response to the fitness test, the are not as strict as the should be. A lot of referees who are unfit fail to turn up. And as for the referees who are starting, the get a very hard time. There's a new referee from Kilbeggan, very fit , always up with the play, and every time he gives a free at underage games up to minor level, he gives his reasons to the players. That's fantastic, now I saw him refereeing a game in Mullingar at u-14 level, shamrocks against caulry, and a Mullingar shamrocks mentor came on the field during the game and faced off the referee and verbally abused him in front of everyone there. That's a disgrace, no protection whatsoever, now he's still on the referees panel, yet he was picked for one underage game this year so far and as a stand in for a division three game at senior level. How can a referee who gets so many fantastic reviews from so many clubs last year not get a game this year? How can the improve without getting match practice. We have referees who can't move standing in the centre circle and probably getting 4-5 games per month and a referee who is willing to ref and quite good at it not even getting two games in the year. Now that's down to the referees panel

Kipper2705 (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 09/07/2017 23:45:05    2013556

Link

Replying To valley84:  "you're in la-la land if you think referees don't treat certain players and clubs differently.

how many referees actually turned up and did the fitness testing this year in westmeath? how many failed the test for the leinster panel?"
I genuinely think it is you who isn't living in reality. Can you imagine how hard it is to make a split second impartial decision for 60/70 minutes and always get it 100% bang on? Again - it is pure spin if you think Referees go out and conspire against different clubs/players.

Take for example the Westmeath/Armagh game…Armagh were giving out about the ref, but they couldn't see how their players fouling with every move of the ball.

As the other posters pointed out, you seem to be in the know. Tell us how many turned up? Any of the intercounty lads I have seen in the county are fit so tell us also how many failed the Leinster fitness test?

Following on from Kipper - I agree, more things need to be done to support the younger lads. Although to be fair, you don't need to be an athlete to referee an U14 game, every grade should have a different level. No more than the difference between playing U14 to senior adult, there would be a big difference in refereeing those two matches so perhaps small steps, go from U14 to U16 etc. etc.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 10/07/2017 09:37:54    2013702

Link

Replying To Ferrett:  "I genuinely think it is you who isn't living in reality. Can you imagine how hard it is to make a split second impartial decision for 60/70 minutes and always get it 100% bang on? Again - it is pure spin if you think Referees go out and conspire against different clubs/players.

Take for example the Westmeath/Armagh game…Armagh were giving out about the ref, but they couldn't see how their players fouling with every move of the ball.

As the other posters pointed out, you seem to be in the know. Tell us how many turned up? Any of the intercounty lads I have seen in the county are fit so tell us also how many failed the Leinster fitness test?

Following on from Kipper - I agree, more things need to be done to support the younger lads. Although to be fair, you don't need to be an athlete to referee an U14 game, every grade should have a different level. No more than the difference between playing U14 to senior adult, there would be a big difference in refereeing those two matches so perhaps small steps, go from U14 to U16 etc. etc."
I totally agree with you, but this was about the fitness test. How can referees who fail to turn up for fitness tests get the big games, for every age group from u-14 up, the rules are the same, so it's all about the referees ability to be able to do the task and not the age group. The reason that some referees don't get the respect from the players is because there making decisions and are 30 yards from play. If you are fit enough, know the rules and have the ability to stand by your decisions regardless of what age the are then you shouldn't be disregarded for matches because you're only a year or two at it. The rules apply from u14 upwards so if you're fit, then be allowed ref, if not then you should be refereeing underage games to regain your sharpness and when you do then be put back into the senior games. That means all are treated equally

Kipper2705 (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 10/07/2017 13:46:12    2014033

Link

Replying To Ferrett:  "I genuinely think it is you who isn't living in reality. Can you imagine how hard it is to make a split second impartial decision for 60/70 minutes and always get it 100% bang on? Again - it is pure spin if you think Referees go out and conspire against different clubs/players.

Following on from Kipper - I agree, more things need to be done to support the younger lads. Although to be fair, you don't need to be an athlete to referee an U14 game, every grade should have a different level. No more than the difference between playing U14 to senior adult, there would be a big difference in refereeing those two matches so perhaps small steps, go from U14 to U16 etc. etc."
If you can get A higher grade in a fitness beep test than most of the referees taking that test then you should be made eligible. All games from u14 upwards are played on a full size pitch and are 39 minutes long.if you pass the test, you should be eligible, regardless of how long you're at it. It's the only way to gain experience

Kipper2705 (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 10/07/2017 13:51:07    2014040

Link

If you can get A higher grade in a fitness beep test than most of the referees taking that test then you should be made eligible. All games from u14 upwards are played on a full size pitch and are 39 minutes long.if you pass the test, you should be eligible, regardless of how long you're at it. It's the only way to gain experience

Kipper2705 (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 10/07/2017 14:19:06    2014089

Link

Replying To Kipper2705:  "If you can get A higher grade in a fitness beep test than most of the referees taking that test then you should be made eligible. All games from u14 upwards are played on a full size pitch and are 39 minutes long.if you pass the test, you should be eligible, regardless of how long you're at it. It's the only way to gain experience"
That's 30 minutes and not 39. Apologies

Kipper2705 (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 10/07/2017 14:22:01    2014095

Link

Replying To Kipper2705:  "That's 30 minutes and not 39. Apologies"
I don't think it is fair to say that if you missed a fitness test you shouldn't be allowed to referee matches. What If that referee was an intercounty ref who passed their fitness test a week before that? Or a marathon runner? The dog on the street would tell you who is fit and who isn't. Anyone refereeing Senior games in this county is fit. On top of that, just because you are fit doesn't mean you'll make a good referee? If you are fit does that automatically mean you're a good player. It is all about the balance. I don't think it would be fair on anyone to put an inexperienced referee out for a senior championship game.

I think your point on board, but I think it is about the balance. At least you're making constructive comments/coming forward with solutions.

Ferrett (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 10/07/2017 14:43:28    2014116

Link