USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Figure this years football is all completed so lets move on to 2017. Any word if NY Senior team is training or trying new guys out?? Any words on new teams joining or existing teams exiting?

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 176 - 30/11/2016 16:29:52    1937612

Link

Looks like Jamie Clarke is away home anyway....

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 01/12/2016 14:47:50    1937821

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Figure this years football is all completed so lets move on to 2017. Any word if NY Senior team is training or trying new guys out?? Any words on new teams joining or existing teams exiting?"
Do you know if any of the New York divisions have held any meetings to discuss proposals for 2017? All rumours seem to indicate that most of the 2016 New York team will not make the team in 2017. Numerous imports are here or on their way. Time frames have been all figured out to make the players eligible to play, and to travel to Castlebar when they defeat Sligo.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 497 - 02/12/2016 18:34:45    1938070

Link

Heard they had a few training games to get a look at new players and the vibes from it were very positive. Along way to Castlebar its only december. I haven't heard of any new teams but heard they looking to again merge Senior and top half off intermediate division.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 05/12/2016 15:03:24    1938435

Link

Voting was rigged a bit last night with officers voting aswell as delegates leaving some clubs with double the amount of votes.
Disdntcseem a fair system. We should be all equal.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 535 - 09/12/2016 16:59:34    1939282

Link

Donegal planning a trip to New York in the new year. Hope New York benefit as well

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/227364/donegal-heading-to-new-york-on-fund-raising-drive.html

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 51 - 12/12/2016 07:31:08    1939627

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "Donegal planning a trip to New York in the new year. Hope New York benefit as well

This" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/227364/donegal-heading-to-new-york-on-fund-raising-drive.html"
This is Why no Money left in New York, Kerry, Roscommon, Cavan in past two Years, Now Donegal and who knows who else are Coming along with Sligo. There is a committee trying to Build here for Our Youth of the Future, Ireland will have all drained from Here.

ranger (None) - Posts: 166 - 12/12/2016 16:04:31    1939713

Link

Replying To ranger:  "This is Why no Money left in New York, Kerry, Roscommon, Cavan in past two Years, Now Donegal and who knows who else are Coming along with Sligo. There is a committee trying to Build here for Our Youth of the Future, Ireland will have all drained from Here."
Donegal will raise a lot of money here given the huge base of donegal people here. Sligo will also fundraiser in may. I'm sure Kerry will be back to get another mil or so. Monaghan are running another huge golf outing to benefit here and home. This is the place where money can be raised it seems.
But Donegal will give needy challenge games to New York who by all accounts will be strong this year.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 535 - 13/12/2016 10:46:39    1939838

Link

I don't have a huge problem with the likes of Donegal coming over to fundraise from their expats. I have a bigger problem with the players coming over and for huge sums of cash and giving nothing/very little back. summer players should be made to hold training sessions for some of NY's youth, and also the Donegal team coming out. can't be all take and no give. Time for the NY committee to organize some sessions for the Donegal team to give to NY underage teams.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 13/12/2016 15:56:15    1939923

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "I don't have a huge problem with the likes of Donegal coming over to fundraise from their expats. I have a bigger problem with the players coming over and for huge sums of cash and giving nothing/very little back. summer players should be made to hold training sessions for some of NY's youth, and also the Donegal team coming out. can't be all take and no give. Time for the NY committee to organize some sessions for the Donegal team to give to NY underage teams."
Senior Committee Have absolutely ZERO interest in The Underage Kids Coming Up.The Fact that Clubs a re allowed to Load up with All Stars from Ireland over the Summer Months and drop any Young Irish American Kids whom may have played earlier in the Year is one Of MANY reasons that My theory is correct.

ranger (None) - Posts: 166 - 13/12/2016 18:16:21    1939958

Link

Replying To ranger:  "Senior Committee Have absolutely ZERO interest in The Underage Kids Coming Up.The Fact that Clubs a re allowed to Load up with All Stars from Ireland over the Summer Months and drop any Young Irish American Kids whom may have played earlier in the Year is one Of MANY reasons that My theory is correct."
I think they have an interest. It's the clubs themselves that are to blame. Most clubs will take on the American born players for first few games but then opt for sanctions and transfers from Ireland as the competition heats up.
So it's the current rules that need changing and force clubs to use all home base players meaning people that work here and the American born. Surely they will change the rules this year just to save the GAA if nothing else.
Taking 4 sanctions and unlimited transfers is just crazy.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 535 - 14/12/2016 12:46:07    1940060

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "I think they have an interest. It's the clubs themselves that are to blame. Most clubs will take on the American born players for first few games but then opt for sanctions and transfers from Ireland as the competition heats up.
So it's the current rules that need changing and force clubs to use all home base players meaning people that work here and the American born. Surely they will change the rules this year just to save the GAA if nothing else.
Taking 4 sanctions and unlimited transfers is just crazy."
Looking at the intercounty transfers to New York in the past two tears one would wonder if the clubs in NY have any home based players. This is excluding Raymonds, Barnabas, and Rockland. Over one hundred players into NY each year, not counting sanctions. You hear raves about the minor division in Ny and the great work being done and you ask, what for? How many former NY minors are playing senior football? Like a poster said they are needed for the first games of the season and then forgotten about. The rules are in the NY rule-book to control imports but have been twisted by those in power. You can see it at the start of the year when championship games have to be played to make mercenaries eligible for the NY squad.
I hear that none of the divisions or management committees have had any meetings to discuss the problems facing NY in the various divisions, in particular the senior football and hurling sections. If anyone thinks a senior division made up of five or six teams is feasible they are on some serious medication. A double round would be needed and any team losing three or four games in round one is going to the beach instead of Gaelic Park.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 497 - 14/12/2016 19:11:34    1940162

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Looking at the intercounty transfers to New York in the past two tears one would wonder if the clubs in NY have any home based players. This is excluding Raymonds, Barnabas, and Rockland. Over one hundred players into NY each year, not counting sanctions. You hear raves about the minor division in Ny and the great work being done and you ask, what for? How many former NY minors are playing senior football? Like a poster said they are needed for the first games of the season and then forgotten about. The rules are in the NY rule-book to control imports but have been twisted by those in power. You can see it at the start of the year when championship games have to be played to make mercenaries eligible for the NY squad.
I hear that none of the divisions or management committees have had any meetings to discuss the problems facing NY in the various divisions, in particular the senior football and hurling sections. If anyone thinks a senior division made up of five or six teams is feasible they are on some serious medication. A double round would be needed and any team losing three or four games in round one is going to the beach instead of Gaelic Park."
Well if the divisions are not meeting to discuss problems then they have blinkers on. If difficult to see any change when the top officers are deeply involved in there own club activities. They should put the well being of the Gaa first.
Everyone on any committee. Hearings. CCC and officers all put there clubs first.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 535 - 15/12/2016 11:40:33    1940277

Link

However bad ye think the problem with transfers and sanctions is in NY, NACB division allows unlimited inter county transfers. 18 sanction players and then unlimited J1 sanctions and then you have Chicago which allows players to fly in for the weekend sign and then fly home and come back 1st weekend of June and they class them as homebase players

louthspeaker (Louth) - Posts: 25 - 15/12/2016 19:27:15    1940404

Link

Replying To louthspeaker:  "However bad ye think the problem with transfers and sanctions is in NY, NACB division allows unlimited inter county transfers. 18 sanction players and then unlimited J1 sanctions and then you have Chicago which allows players to fly in for the weekend sign and then fly home and come back 1st weekend of June and they class them as homebase players"
This has been going on for years. There aren't too many yanks, if any, on the pitch during the summer. A lot of money spent flying lads out meanwhile youth programs look like an oul lads sesh. Interesting to see the work being done in "where the heck are we", USA. Shame really. How long till the yanks start their own club players association?

kilflynn (Kerry) - Posts: 64 - 17/12/2016 18:58:46    1940692

Link

Every single motion that was proposed at NACB that might promote more Americans at senior level was voted against by the Boston clubs, they have no interest at all in American born players At least it seems NACB are finally ready to act, pity it had to take the disgraceful behavior in Chicago this year to get them to act but at least with the 54 week ban they handed out to the John McBrides they are showing they will act and would think they have been told by Croke Park that if they don't they will and maybe we will finally see more American lads on the field than the Irish summer imports

louthspeaker (Louth) - Posts: 25 - 19/12/2016 19:57:48    1941022

Link

It's a shame the amount of money spent on bringing player out by both NACB and NY every year. What's the point in having underage systems. These young guys want to play but are only being used at the start of the season to fill out teams.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 535 - 20/12/2016 16:10:08    1941197

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "It's a shame the amount of money spent on bringing player out by both NACB and NY every year. What's the point in having underage systems. These young guys want to play but are only being used at the start of the season to fill out teams."
I see by the transfers and sanctions lists, on the Official GAA site, that the junior and intermediate clubs get as many or more, per team, as the senior teams.
One club with both a senior and intermediate team got more than any other. Another club, which won the senior final, and had senior and junior teams got a large number also.
I thought that the second team was for their surplus players. The win (everything) at all costs seems to be the prevailing mindset. I cannot understand why the less well sponsored senior and junior teams do not get together and pass rules to control this. Even one minor based club is into the import crack. The top NY officers are so involved with their clubs that they do not want change. More than one NY board officer is also a top officer in their club. This should not be allowed.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 497 - 21/12/2016 15:00:10    1941433

Link

Seems the grassroots GAA ethos is alive and well . . .

kilflynn (Kerry) - Posts: 64 - 28/12/2016 14:20:37    1942171

Link

I see an article on HS today that odhran mac Niallais is moving to the states... anyone know if it's to NY and if he'll be playing ball?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 06/01/2017 14:40:47    1943519

Link