USA Forum

New York 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To dave1988:  "What sort of team have New York got this year??I know ye have Jamie Clarke and Donal ward..has Neil Collins joined ye?really think new York can beat Leitrim this year and if ye do will that mean new York travel to hyde park or we go to New York?"
New York would have to travel to the Hyde.

New York and London and guaranteed home matches in the opening round every year. The trade off for that is that any subsequent matches they may be involved will be in Ireland (unless they are drawn at home in the qualifiers but that obviously doesn't apply to New York, only London). That's why the year London got to the Connacht Final, after drawing with Leitrim in Carrick the replay was in the Hyde rather than Ruislip.

the_walls (Mayo) - Posts: 413 - 19/04/2018 14:14:39    2093968

Link

Replying To the_walls:  "New York would have to travel to the Hyde.

New York and London and guaranteed home matches in the opening round every year. The trade off for that is that any subsequent matches they may be involved will be in Ireland (unless they are drawn at home in the qualifiers but that obviously doesn't apply to New York, only London). That's why the year London got to the Connacht Final, after drawing with Leitrim in Carrick the replay was in the Hyde rather than Ruislip."
Everyone seems to forget that London also beat Sligo in the championship that year too. They beat Sligo in their home fixture so all their other games had to played in ireland

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 19/04/2018 21:52:38    2094039

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "I see where the New York team is playing Corofin, Co. Galway on Thursday April 26 at 7.45."
Great to see a team of Corofin's caliber coming out to play NY. A few of the team have played out here last couple of years, so they will be familiar with Gaelic Park. Any word on NY team numbers and who is left on the panel. Was told other day, team down to 31. How many will we dress? 26?

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 20/04/2018 17:35:43    2094131

Link

Is it true there is two lads off the Laois county football team gone to Join New york and Brendan Murphy of Carlow is also gone?

This will surely make New York a strong team!

BigJohn.6_8 (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 24/04/2018 09:28:18    2094679

Link

Replying To BigJohn.6_8:  "Is it true there is two lads off the Laois county football team gone to Join New york and Brendan Murphy of Carlow is also gone?

This will surely make New York a strong team!"
Not true.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 24/04/2018 14:24:30    2094750

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Not true."
Story on main page says Brendan Murphy is departing the Carlow squad to spend the summer in US, will he be in New York and if so will he be eligible to line out?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/284230

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 49 - 24/04/2018 14:43:13    2094758

Link

Can Murphy be drafted into new York panel at this late stage surely not or there could be a ambush

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1345 - 25/04/2018 12:39:23    2094940

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "Story on main page says Brendan Murphy is departing the Carlow squad to spend the summer in US, will he be in New York and if so will he be eligible to line out?

If" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/284230"
If he is coming to new york he wont be playing football. NY is governed by croke park and the rule in 2018 is if you were named on an intercounty panel league or championship you cannot transfer to a club in NY. So in conclusion if he is coming to the USA to play football it will NOT be NY. (Unless of course he didnt play for Carlow in 2018 thus far but I am sure he played for them in the league).

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 25/04/2018 14:36:53    2094968

Link

So what did everyone think of Senior team last night? Thought they played very well after a sloppy start. Granted they played Corofin without their full starting panel and a long travel day. Thought Jamie Clarke was very dangerous when on the ball. Think Leitrim will look to double cover him or at least try to cut off supply of ball into him. The backs played very well, caused some turn overs and Vinnie Cadagen pulled off a penalty save plus few more from play. The 2 players that stood out to me besides Jamie Clarke were # 10 & 11 for NY. Fast paced and won good amount of ball. Both looked dangerous enough attacking also.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 173 - 27/04/2018 12:58:21    2095272

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "So what did everyone think of Senior team last night? Thought they played very well after a sloppy start. Granted they played Corofin without their full starting panel and a long travel day. Thought Jamie Clarke was very dangerous when on the ball. Think Leitrim will look to double cover him or at least try to cut off supply of ball into him. The backs played very well, caused some turn overs and Vinnie Cadagen pulled off a penalty save plus few more from play. The 2 players that stood out to me besides Jamie Clarke were # 10 & 11 for NY. Fast paced and won good amount of ball. Both looked dangerous enough attacking also."
I could not attend bu heard Clarke and Cadden both played very well. Was there many at it? Did any homegrown players play? Were New York much stronger or were Corofin just not at the races (travel, missing players, team holiday)?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 49 - 27/04/2018 17:30:37    2095334

Link

hard to read last nights game but New York looked very fit and pacey . Corofin missing a lot of there starting players and looked very tired but you could see how well the opened the New York back line when the did attack good warm up for leitrim game Clarke looked very sharp when he got the ball overall good team perfromance from THE HOME SIDE

newyorklad (USA) - Posts: 111 - 27/04/2018 18:57:23    2095351

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "I could not attend bu heard Clarke and Cadden both played very well. Was there many at it? Did any homegrown players play? Were New York much stronger or were Corofin just not at the races (travel, missing players, team holiday)?

Anyone else have any thoughts?"
Yes - corofin left Ireland at 7am and were going all day playing NY at a time that ended up being 2am the following day Irish time!! They played the game with a team that was missing 8 of their starting 15 players, half of their team this eve are not even on their first team panel. Management would have given corofin a warning of to hold back and not risk injury in play or tackles ahead of their season at home. All in all corofin were a team in holiday mode and on a fundraising mission and not a team going in to the white heat of championship football against NY this eve, especially with the far more important matter of a Galway club and all Ireland club championship to defend.

Let's be honest if corofin did take it to NY they would beat them by 15+ points easily. It actually suits Leitrim that NY won well tonight. Roll on next Sunday for real championship football

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 27/04/2018 22:41:35    2095394

Link

A few things have happened the last few days that should have everyone questioning the intentions of the NY boards great development.

1) in a panel of 36 there was only one Home Grown player on the field
2) The under 16s are not playing next weekend before the Championship game like they normally do
3) Jamie Clarke (Armagh) is in all the press photos as the face of New York GAA.

Now knowing these 3 facts are we really to believe that the development is for the young up and coming Home Grown players or for the showponies looking for photo ops with the president.

Upthesaffrons16 (Antrim) - Posts: 7 - 28/04/2018 02:40:10    2095416

Link

Can someone here that attended Thursdays challenge v Corofin post up the New York team that started.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2188 - 28/04/2018 15:13:58    2095484

Link

Replying To Upthesaffrons16:  "A few things have happened the last few days that should have everyone questioning the intentions of the NY boards great development.

1) in a panel of 36 there was only one Home Grown player on the field
2) The under 16s are not playing next weekend before the Championship game like they normally do
3) Jamie Clarke (Armagh) is in all the press photos as the face of New York GAA.

Now knowing these 3 facts are we really to believe that the development is for the young up and coming Home Grown players or for the showponies looking for photo ops with the president."
To be fair I would have to disagree with all of this.
1. I went up to see game last week and got there late but caught second half and at that time I saw from whom I know as home grown Shane Hogan and Mike Creegan playing. Maybe there was more but not sure. Without doubt there should be more but that leads to point 2.
2. From 8;30 am to 7pm Sunday will be games with all home underage players represented, camogie, football, hurling and ladies football playing. Very unfair to blindly imply that the GAA is denying kids an opportunity to play when the exact opposite is the case here. In fairness Board have invested heavily in underage lately with more coaching and more representative games giving these kids an opportunity to wear a New York jersey and encourage them to move up through the ranks. Agreed was neglected for years but now seems like moving in right direction.
3. From what I see it is mainly in the Irish media that Jamie Clarke is highlighted and to be honest not surprising as he is far and away the most known player on the squad.

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 02/05/2018 13:59:38    2096232

Link

Hey lads, just a heads up to anyone heading to the match on Sunday - the 1 train line (the line that goes by Gaelic Park) is having construction done this weekend, so you can't take that subway to the match. The train goes as far as 137th Street, but no further north.
I'm planning on taking the 4 train as far as Mosholu Park, which is about a mile east of Gaelic Park, and either walking or getting an Uber from there.
Maybe plan on leaving a bit earlier than normal if you're planning on heading to the match.

Texas (Donegal) - Posts: 144 - 03/05/2018 23:32:45    2096540

Link

New York can't have much complaints about that defeat last night. 6 points ahead in the 1st half and 3 points ahead in extra time with 6 mins to play and still couldn't win. For all his hype before the game I thought Jamie Clarke was average. He missed more than he scored, took the wrong options more often than not and was too greedy on the ball. New York when they ran Roscommon close in 2016 had better scoring forwards on the night and forwards than were team players.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2420 - 07/05/2018 11:10:24    2097035

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "New York can't have much complaints about that defeat last night. 6 points ahead in the 1st half and 3 points ahead in extra time with 6 mins to play and still couldn't win. For all his hype before the game I thought Jamie Clarke was average. He missed more than he scored, took the wrong options more often than not and was too greedy on the ball. New York when they ran Roscommon close in 2016 had better scoring forwards on the night and forwards than were team players."
Clarke was good even though was greedy at times. New York had it on a couple of occasions but seemed to lack the know how to finish it. That Leitrim team is the worst county team I've seen in the park in the twenty years this thing has been going. While NY were good the opposition needs to be taken into account and I think we missed the boat again. When you consider the players on board this year it might have been the strongest NY team ever yet still a loss.

nyny (USA) - Posts: 195 - 07/05/2018 11:25:16    2097037

Link

Replying To nyny:  "Clarke was good even though was greedy at times. New York had it on a couple of occasions but seemed to lack the know how to finish it. That Leitrim team is the worst county team I've seen in the park in the twenty years this thing has been going. While NY were good the opposition needs to be taken into account and I think we missed the boat again. When you consider the players on board this year it might have been the strongest NY team ever yet still a loss."
Jamie was not anywhere as good as he was hyped up to be. You are contradicting yourself somewhat there. Strongest NY team ever yet maybe you should give Leitrim a bit more credit for winning especially the manner they had to win!

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2420 - 07/05/2018 11:53:10    2097050

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Jamie was not anywhere as good as he was hyped up to be. You are contradicting yourself somewhat there. Strongest NY team ever yet maybe you should give Leitrim a bit more credit for winning especially the manner they had to win!"
I don't believe I am contradicting myself. What I'm saying is even though Leitrim are very weak at the moment and NY are much stronger than usual we still lost. NY will get many plaudits for their performance but in reality it's a game with the players they have NY should win. Leitrim deserve credit with their limited team for winning

nyny (USA) - Posts: 195 - 07/05/2018 12:01:10    2097056

Link