USA Forum

New York 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Does anyone know what is going on with the format/structure to this years championship?
I hear that the County Board are re-reviewing the possibility of amalgamating both Intermediate and Senior again this year. Any truth to this? Not overly fair on most Intermediate teams as they simply would not have the finance to compete with the bigger teams nor is their an incentive for those clubs to compete if that is the case (could be the straw that breaks the camels back if this is introduced).
On a separate note I heard that there is the potential of a players union being set up to voice the concerns / ideas of all players for every club. I heard this at the end of last year and heard nothing since. I think it would be a good idea. The fixture list was a joke last year (I understand the situation with the resurfacing) and was not good enough. Players being drip fed fixtures lists, times and locations. This does not grow the game nor entice new players. Hopefully if a players union is established they can work with the county board to re mediate these issues.
Finally (I heard this on the grape vine), Is Jamie Clarke returning to NY and togging out for them in May? Could be a poor rumor, just curious if anyone else has heard this.

TractorTom4 (Australia) - Posts: 14 - 17/01/2018 16:58:50    2068924

Link

Replying To TractorTom4:  "Does anyone know what is going on with the format/structure to this years championship?
I hear that the County Board are re-reviewing the possibility of amalgamating both Intermediate and Senior again this year. Any truth to this? Not overly fair on most Intermediate teams as they simply would not have the finance to compete with the bigger teams nor is their an incentive for those clubs to compete if that is the case (could be the straw that breaks the camels back if this is introduced).
On a separate note I heard that there is the potential of a players union being set up to voice the concerns / ideas of all players for every club. I heard this at the end of last year and heard nothing since. I think it would be a good idea. The fixture list was a joke last year (I understand the situation with the resurfacing) and was not good enough. Players being drip fed fixtures lists, times and locations. This does not grow the game nor entice new players. Hopefully if a players union is established they can work with the county board to re mediate these issues.
Finally (I heard this on the grape vine), Is Jamie Clarke returning to NY and togging out for them in May? Could be a poor rumor, just curious if anyone else has heard this."
Tractor; you are correct about the union and they even have applied already to march in the NY Paddy's day parade.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 20/01/2018 18:58:55    2069501

Link

any truth in teams droping from senior to intermediate

newyorklad (USA) - Posts: 111 - 22/01/2018 18:39:31    2069941

Link

Any word out of the New York team? Was reading the Leitrim thread and there is a lot of worry after their performance against Antrim.

NY just announced development squads in football and hurling aimed at bridging 17-21 year olds into the senior ranks, a step in the right direction

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 01/02/2018 16:44:38    2073153

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "Any word out of the New York team? Was reading the Leitrim thread and there is a lot of worry after their performance against Antrim.

NY just announced development squads in football and hurling aimed at bridging 17-21 year olds into the senior ranks, a step in the right direction"
Leitrim it seems are not going great by all accounts so it a great opportunity for NY to exploite Leitrim and win their first championship game.
I haven't heard anything on here about NY team but if rumors are through 8/10 intercounty players will be added to squad. NY minor board doing great work as always with the youth.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 01/02/2018 19:22:20    2073205

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Leitrim it seems are not going great by all accounts so it a great opportunity for NY to exploite Leitrim and win their first championship game.
I haven't heard anything on here about NY team but if rumors are through 8/10 intercounty players will be added to squad. NY minor board doing great work as always with the youth."
8-10 county players that played in NY last year or new arrivals? wouldn't they need to have played cship before leitrim game?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 01/02/2018 20:31:46    2073222

Link

Heard that it will be a new look New York team with most of the 2016/2017 players no longer in town or not committing. Heard that changes in the backroom aswell with a new team team trainer and selectors. Will be interesting against what seems to be a very very poor Leitrim side.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 02/02/2018 13:59:52    2073378

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Heard that it will be a new look New York team with most of the 2016/2017 players no longer in town or not committing. Heard that changes in the backroom aswell with a new team team trainer and selectors. Will be interesting against what seems to be a very very poor Leitrim side."
Do they name a panel or where can we see who is in team. Irish Echo was great one time for updates on GAA

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 05/02/2018 16:09:35    2074342

Link

So Clarke is back.... how long will he stay this time?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 09/02/2018 14:56:45    2075250

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "So Clarke is back.... how long will he stay this time?"
See Leitrim got hammered by Carlow today. It's looking more and more like New York are in for their first win and with J Clarke on board and talk of 4 more coming, it's almost a certainty.
So this begs the question. If New York win, where will they play next round?
Can someone name a possible stating 15?

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 10/02/2018 18:31:50    2075453

Link

I see Donal Ward and Tadgh Lowe from Roscommon are both part of New York set up this year.
Donal was man of the match in the Roscommon v New York game in 2011. Injuries ruled him out for a while and hasnt been part of our county set up in a few years but still a very good half back when fit.
Tadgh is a Goalkeeper and a sigerson cup winner with DCU.

Anyone have a full panel or any other names that are part of it? Could be sticking a few pound on yourselves

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 14/02/2018 12:53:35    2076765

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "I see Donal Ward and Tadgh Lowe from Roscommon are both part of New York set up this year.
Donal was man of the match in the Roscommon v New York game in 2011. Injuries ruled him out for a while and hasnt been part of our county set up in a few years but still a very good half back when fit.
Tadgh is a Goalkeeper and a sigerson cup winner with DCU.

Anyone have a full panel or any other names that are part of it? Could be sticking a few pound on yourselves"
How many players on the New York panel this year must receive inter county transfers? How many of your squad are players who came up through the New York minor system?

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 493 - 14/02/2018 17:13:39    2076868

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "How many players on the New York panel this year must receive inter county transfers? How many of your squad are players who came up through the New York minor system?"
Talking to a NY offices today. Panel will be named when all players are in town in about 3 weeks. There will be a total of 35 players.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 14/02/2018 22:24:38    2076938

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "See Leitrim got hammered by Carlow today. It's looking more and more like New York are in for their first win and with J Clarke on board and talk of 4 more coming, it's almost a certainty.
So this begs the question. If New York win, where will they play next round?
Can someone name a possible stating 15?"
Crossgaa ur away with the fairy's if you think this can happen, don't worry about what happens in the next round New York will lose by 10 pts.

bealamena (Sligo) - Posts: 40 - 19/02/2018 19:47:00    2078514

Link

Replying To bealamena:  "Crossgaa ur away with the fairy's if you think this can happen, don't worry about what happens in the next round New York will lose by 10 pts."
on what basis do you think NY will get beat by 10 points? they ran sligo close last year and unlucky to lose against Roscommon the year before... we all know the teams in Ireland should be better prepared etc and leitrim will be expecting NY to be up for it this year, but the fact is leitrim are in the bottom 3 teams in Ireland and it looks like NY will have quality players playing this year on top of the experience of the last few years

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 20/02/2018 15:46:19    2078769

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "on what basis do you think NY will get beat by 10 points? they ran sligo close last year and unlucky to lose against Roscommon the year before... we all know the teams in Ireland should be better prepared etc and leitrim will be expecting NY to be up for it this year, but the fact is leitrim are in the bottom 3 teams in Ireland and it looks like NY will have quality players playing this year on top of the experience of the last few years"
I agree. I think NY will be much better prepared than last two years. There training very hard and some big names jumping off panels in Ireland they might be able to pick up a few more top players.
Add in that Leitrim haven't won a game in the bottom division and seem to be in disarray. So expect a great game and cheer on NY. I tipp them to win by 5 points. After all they should have beaten Roscommon who are division 1.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 20/02/2018 17:27:05    2078797

Link

Anyone know what rule changes were made at the recent convention?

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 493 - 22/02/2018 20:34:23    2079336

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Anyone know what rule changes were made at the recent convention?"
There were some rule changes but it's like getting a list of this years panels of players. Irish papers don't report only on games it seems but this and rules are also news. The GAA keep its fans in the dark.
Was told that there is a big rule change regarding eligibility of county players coming here but don't know exact rule

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 13/03/2018 11:02:38    2084213

Link

Laurence McGrath's interview with Off The Ball can be found on the NYGAA facebook page. 10 year lease signed with the MTA, redevelopment of Gaelic Park bar planned with dressing rooms, bar, offices, gym, and function room. He mentions that the MTA will renew the lease in 10 years time and if not any money the GAA puts into Gaelic Park will be reimbursed.

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 14/03/2018 14:29:23    2084552

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "Laurence McGrath's interview with Off The Ball can be found on the NYGAA facebook page. 10 year lease signed with the MTA, redevelopment of Gaelic Park bar planned with dressing rooms, bar, offices, gym, and function room. He mentions that the MTA will renew the lease in 10 years time and if not any money the GAA puts into Gaelic Park will be reimbursed."
is the lease for the pitch or just the bar area

newyorklad (USA) - Posts: 111 - 16/03/2018 12:29:15    2084906

Link