Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Conor McManus' interview pouring cold water on the notion of Banty and Gallagher.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 02/08/2019 10:57:23    2219688

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Conor McManus' interview pouring cold water on the notion of Banty and Gallagher."
Sorry Eddie - red thumbs in error - was meant to be a green one. Good piece by McManus. His head certainly seems to be in the right place & has confidence in the team & future.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 679 - 02/08/2019 12:38:56    2219730

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "Sorry Eddie - red thumbs in error - was meant to be a green one. Good piece by McManus. His head certainly seems to be in the right place & has confidence in the team & future."
No hassle. Yeah, very good leadership being shown by McManus here. He is putting it on record that the Monagahn panel are focussed on progress. And by extension that the CB need to do their job and meet that ambition with the right appointment.
2013 all over again, when big Lennon et al made it happen with Malachy.
I hear some talk that SMcE is 'the best of whats available'. Dangerous road to go down. Monaghans core support need to make their delegates 100% sure over the next few weeks that this type of thinking is not acceptable. The county has made great strides at all levels in recent years so hopefully the progressive voices will prevail.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 02/08/2019 13:42:56    2219760

Link

According to a media report Banty says he is too busy for the gig, and with Mc Manus calling for a "strong appointment" this is code for The players don't want him (too many legitimate questions to answer to them, and particularly Mc Manus himself). So could we move on please

I like the Sugrue suggestion, progressive manager an seems shrewd enough at county level, would need a team with local knowledge though, or else McEntee

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 703 - 02/08/2019 15:30:19    2219803

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "No hassle. Yeah, very good leadership being shown by McManus here. He is putting it on record that the Monagahn panel are focussed on progress. And by extension that the CB need to do their job and meet that ambition with the right appointment.
2013 all over again, when big Lennon et al made it happen with Malachy.
I hear some talk that SMcE is 'the best of whats available'. Dangerous road to go down. Monaghans core support need to make their delegates 100% sure over the next few weeks that this type of thinking is not acceptable. The county has made great strides at all levels in recent years so hopefully the progressive voices will prevail."
Ok so got the thumbs right there. I would prefer to take a chance on a complete rookie rather than return to SMcE. The team deserve better than that. We, the supporters, deserve better than that. This appointment will be indicative of the level of ambition of the CB.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 679 - 02/08/2019 18:21:36    2219848

Link

See banty at the clontibret Scotstown game Saturday evening doing a bit of scouting. Whatever else you might be able to say about him you can't say he's not doing the prep work, and being visible about it too!!

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 42 - 05/08/2019 00:33:38    2220950

Link

You can be sure he's being as visible as possible! The OTB interview with Mansy was very telling...when Bantys name came up he moved on very quickly. He also clearly got the message over that the team is far from done. His comment about not actually winning anything in 2018 shows how much ambition is still there.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 05/08/2019 12:57:15    2221087

Link

You can be sure he's being as visible as possible! The OTB interview with Mansy was very telling...when Bantys name came up he moved on very quickly. He also clearly got the message over that the team is far from done. His comment about not actually winning anything in 2018 shows how much ambition is still there.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 05/08/2019 12:57:26    2221088

Link

Was told today , mc entee didn't get the job , if that's right and the source would be v good , banty looks more and more likely at the min, really don't think banty is the right appointment at this time !!! We know he 'll do his best but looked lost at u 20 level this year !!

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 68 - 05/08/2019 23:11:37    2221379

Link

What has Rochford won at County level...............had the best Mayo team in 50 years in their prime and blew an All Ireland by listening to the O'Sheas about dropping David Clarke.....................wasted Lee Keegan by leaving him on Connolly to pull and drag him around Croke park instead of letting him loose to attack Dublin!!

Listen People getting who we want to manage Monaghan is gonna be very hard,unless they are a proven winner at county level then we might as well have a Monaghan man incharge instead of paying some bluffer thousands to not give a shit and walk away laughing while we let the last few years of this team fall asunder.

Tony McEntee talks alot of crap in the paper,thats putting me off him

Gallagher is poision and should not be let near a football field

Aidan O'Rourke more crap talking

There isnt anyone out there bar Jim McGunniess,or Pat Gilroy to take us to the next level..........they are winners.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1356 - 05/08/2019 23:55:54    2221398

Link

Looks like it is back to the future then which ain't going to end well

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1405 - 06/08/2019 11:28:37    2221511

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Looks like it is back to the future then which ain't going to end well"
I would let my name go forward. Would sim for ulster and then Sam. We do not have the players to win Sam

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 06/08/2019 12:06:51    2221532

Link

What about approaching cian o neill as a backroom selector. Someone with experience of division 1 football and super 8s football.
Let's face the facts. Banty won't get the job as county board won't lower themselves to do it. Anyone else will get it I think. Little talk of mc gleenan at the moment and maybe he's the dark horse in this race. With such low calibre managers interested in the job it could come down to who can present the best backroom staff to the table and if someone was to present a man like o neill to their backroom staff then it would be a massive spelling point.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 06/08/2019 12:37:17    2221558

Link

Strange appointment by Monaghan CB
Definitely a lack of forward thinking on the selection
Is the purpose based on his work with underage teams in past few years, to flood these young lads he worked with for the future. Seems to be. I would say an overhaul of the squad is imminent. Suprised Jason sherlock, dessie Farrell were not on the radar. Proven and successful coaches.

222 (UK) - Posts: 509 - 06/08/2019 12:48:06    2221562

Link

Only one of the club nominees is still standing so the the interview committee will be interviewing 2 others whose names have not been mentioned yet. Banty and Gallagher is a bad joke. Can't believe anyone would swallow it.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 83 - 06/08/2019 19:16:34    2221814

Link

I'm reliably informed that CB have refused to give Banty/Gallagher the job primarily because of players objections. Instead CB are keen to offer the position to top Dublin figure !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 153 - 06/08/2019 19:50:50    2221837

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "I would let my name go forward. Would sim for ulster and then Sam. We do not have the players to win Sam"
You back out of hiding after the hidings ??

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 679 - 06/08/2019 22:52:45    2221970

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "You back out of hiding after the hidings ??"
Hiding! What are you talking about.

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 07/08/2019 06:01:49    2222013

Link

Banty has done a lot for monaghan football but making him the senior team manager almost 10 years on from when he last was in charge given the success we have had in last few years would be a massively backward step and would make v little sense. He has done nothing in the senior jobs he has had since to justify being considered. Meath and Wexford were not exactly huge successes and other counties have steered clear of him as the game has moved on from his style of management.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1405 - 07/08/2019 10:36:40    2222084

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "I'm reliably informed that CB have refused to give Banty/Gallagher the job primarily because of players objections. Instead CB are keen to offer the position to top Dublin figure !"
Mc entee in conjunction with a dub like Gilroy or Farrell would be a brilliant appointment. Oisin mc conville will surely be part of his set up and maybe add in a monaghan based selector.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 07/08/2019 11:05:18    2222100

Link