Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Muineachain76:  "No to Gallagehr and Mc Enaney. I simply cannot believe this is even an option :("
Be a mitigated disaster.

What's the story on Martin mc elhenon that was with banty before?
If banty was to be considered I would like to at least see this man with him.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 31/07/2019 12:11:21    2219065

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Not sure how you can say that. He left Corrigan and Quigley on the bench while they were kicking 15 wides v Kildare last year. Hiring him would be wasting 2 years like we did with Eamon McE in 2010 and we don't have 2 years to waste."
Corrigan opted out of the Fermanagh set up this year after getting little time last year in championship. Very defensive as he was as Donegal manager.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1874 - 31/07/2019 13:44:35    2219089

Link

Banty and Rory Gallagher would be a complete disaster and would show a huge lack of ambition by the county board. One was a nearly man 12 years ago who through initially build a team failed ultimately to capitalise on their potential and the other is anti football with caveman tactics that have no place in the modern game. Any other fermanagh manager from past 20 years would have beat monaghan out the gate in the first round of the qualifers this year. These lads be a real step down from malachy o rourke and we'd be back in div 3 in no time and short summer's every year.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1403 - 31/07/2019 14:04:12    2219103

Link

Just the usual newspaper chatter. Paraic Duffy part of selection committee.... won't let anything the like of that happen. Neither are serious contenders and the ex Fermanagh/Cavan player is only suddenly being mentioned cos he happened to leave Fermanagh this week. McEntee would seem the logical choice although there may be an O'Rourke type choice in the left field which could surprise everyone ... Banty included.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 31/07/2019 14:30:54    2219110

Link

Replying To Frost:  "What has Declan Loughman won as a manager or coach at the Top Level club or county for him to get this job. No chance in hell should he get it. We need someone who is tactically astute for this job either as a manager or a selector like Leo was for the last number of years. Mc Entee maybe a very good coach but as a manager I'd have my doubts. Monaghan need to go for a manager proven at this level. Banty/ Loughman/ Mc entee/ McAleenan/ arent the answers In regards to managing all could have roles but not the main one. Rochford/ Gilroy/ Dessie Farrell even maybe John sugrue are boys we should be looking at with the likes of Mc Entee Gallagher Mc Conville as coaches and selectors. Not bloody Declan Loughman"
Have to agree, all players have to buy into the Manager. Appointing a Manager that will not take a senior club because they play against his club. Sends out the wrong loyalty message.

TheTruagh(t) (Monaghan) - Posts: 11 - 31/07/2019 14:57:02    2219121

Link

Looks like it could be the banty and Gallagher for you lads next year.

I can already see your scorelines.

0-01 0-00
1-01 0-00
0-00 0-00
0-02 0-01

Etc etc

Cavan_Shambles (Cavan) - Posts: 353 - 31/07/2019 15:07:53    2219123

Link

Gallagher is the man , mad if yous don't want him

Stevies.pa (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1 - 31/07/2019 16:28:37    2219154

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Just the usual newspaper chatter. Paraic Duffy part of selection committee.... won't let anything the like of that happen. Neither are serious contenders and the ex Fermanagh/Cavan player is only suddenly being mentioned cos he happened to leave Fermanagh this week. McEntee would seem the logical choice although there may be an O'Rourke type choice in the left field which could surprise everyone ... Banty included."
Let's hope so

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 57 - 31/07/2019 17:38:00    2219184

Link

Replying To detruth:  "This is a disaster and the worse thing that could happen monaghan football.. it will be dealt with by foot fall at games as banty is not well got in the county. Gallagher obviously we don't know much about.. time the county board started listening to the supporters and not go by who brings the most finance to the job."
What a statement. Yeah let's listen to the people who don't go to a club game all year, only go to monaghan games because their daughters/sons hear their friends talk about the team at school. Yeah they should really have an influence on who picks the team.

People who should have a say in picking the new management are people who have been around the team when they've been successful ie, co board chairman, secretary, treasurer and most importantly players. Not supporters.
Also Pauric Duffy having a say in picking the team is an absolute joke. Just because he is a good CEO doesn't make him a good fit for on the field matters ie Ed Woodward. It's time Monaghan start living to our potential and go for a manager with proven success at the top level no matter what it takes ie MONEY. As a genuine supporter, who lives in another county that seem to be doing things right at senior level eventually after a number of years underage success (Cavan), they've gone for a proven manager at senior club level and highly regarded within the county, with possibly the best coach within OUR COUNTY, we need to go for the best, ie Rochford, Gilroy, Farrell with the best coaches/selectors in the business around him ie Mc entee, Mc Conville, Gallagher, Bohan and even Banty.

I would have a massive problem with Pauric Duffy(what has he won at this level) having a say on who our manager is, he's going to want someone who will believe in Croke Parks hierarchy's ideas more than what's best for Monaghan. Big statement, but I know first hand how these boys work and have seen it being the detriment of my adopted club. As for Declan Loughman, quit the crack will yas. Light years behind modern day coaching.

Rochford, Mc Entee and Gilroy as an advisory roll, what a statement that would be. Let's pump the money into our marquee team and not to a Centre of Excellence. We seem to have the corporate side booming let's pump it into the most important team within the county.

Anyway I've full trust in the Co. Board Hierarchy as they've been there for the last number of years during Mals time to see what has worked and what hasn't and have no doubt they will make the right choice. Roll on 2020.

Frost (Cavan) - Posts: 52 - 31/07/2019 23:36:09    2219290

Link

Banty and Gallagher at meeting in Cloghan this evening........please say it can't be so.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 83 - 01/08/2019 00:54:08    2219301

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Banty and Gallagher at meeting in Cloghan this evening........please say it can't be so."
If you're going to make posts like that you may back it up with proof, otherwise its nonsense

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 665 - 01/08/2019 11:21:26    2219368

Link

Well if someone can be lined up to thwart the 'dreamteam' of Gallagher and Banty, it better be soon - apparently the appointment will be made by mid August!

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 01/08/2019 12:18:34    2219393

Link

There were plenty of people in the stands last year who were questioning their own sanity after paying €30-€50 per head in to watch some of those lustless, downright boring games and performances from Monaghan last year. Anyone who was at the Monaghan v Galway game in Inniskeen or the Cavan championship match cant argue with the fact that they were downright awful games of football, and were symptomatic of a team who had run out of steam under Malachy. The team obviously needed a new voice and a fresh focus on a more exciting game of football, for the players themselves to play. Malachy even acknowledged as much when he stepped down, and fair play to him for having the self awareness to do so.

Now, The absolute dross that Fermanagh served up under Gallagher and the backwards out dated football the U20's attempted to play under Banty are absolutely the worst thing that could happen to Monaghan football at this point in time.

Monaghan were, and still are hard to beat. No team goes on a scoring rampage against us no matter their pedegree, however this hasn't been enough for us. We need someone to come in and show us how to take the game to the opposition.

McCarthy goes supernova when playing college football, yet barely registers on the radar for the county. Kieran Hughes and Conor McManus have been All-Star players racking up good scoring tallies for 6/7 years now (apart from Kierans last year) Yet they have been doing so whilst being double and triple marked by the opposition?! Jack McCarron regularly swings over points from all sorts of angles and distances for his club, yet has been afraid to take a shot outside of the D pretty much since he came into the team. Malone, McGinn, Kerr, McGuiness, Carey, Duffy - all high quality forwards who've been flogged enough in defensive systems!

What Monaghan need now is a progessive manger, who instead of setting Monaghan up to be hard to beat, will set the team up to go out and actually win the game from the off! Someone who will take another look around the county for players who havent been in the panel who could offer something, like Doogan from Truagh, Heaphy from Scotstown, Galligan the Harps, McMahon Emyvale, The McElroy bros from Latton etc.

Lest face it, this is the last hoora for our golden generation, one who i think has been wasted in trying not to loose.

PLayers like McManus and the Hughes bros only have a few years left in them, so bring in a high profile - high quality manager who will let them off the leash and have a cut at winning another ulster.. and maybe even the big one....

Mickod88 (Monaghan) - Posts: 5 - 01/08/2019 15:24:51    2219490

Link

where do ye get your facts from ??
not saying you are wrong but as was said earlier can it be backed up ??

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 01/08/2019 15:33:56    2219492

Link

Do any of ye remember the replay v Donegal in 2016 Ulster Championship?

We were a point down in the dying minutes on the attack looking to level the game. One of the Donegal substitutes ran onto the field in full John Terry kit mode. The linesman noticed this , and since Donegal hadn't made officially made a sub , made it known to the ref and the game was stopped which halted our attack. The player was told to go off the field and the game resumed with Donegal now back in their defensive formation.

The Donegal sub was obviously told to do that by the management which was lead by Gallagher. It wasn't mentioned on The Sunday Game so of course got no attention and we went out with a whimper the following week in that fluke result to Longford.

Is this is the sort of manager who we are considering to lead Monaghan? Didn't he also tell players at one team he managed that they weren't allowed to kick the ball?

And now we are throwing Banty into the mix?

We would be a total laughing stock to go down this road.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 01/08/2019 17:42:53    2219532

Link

Replying To Adler:  "Do any of ye remember the replay v Donegal in 2016 Ulster Championship?

We were a point down in the dying minutes on the attack looking to level the game. One of the Donegal substitutes ran onto the field in full John Terry kit mode. The linesman noticed this , and since Donegal hadn't made officially made a sub , made it known to the ref and the game was stopped which halted our attack. The player was told to go off the field and the game resumed with Donegal now back in their defensive formation.

The Donegal sub was obviously told to do that by the management which was lead by Gallagher. It wasn't mentioned on The Sunday Game so of course got no attention and we went out with a whimper the following week in that fluke result to Longford.

Is this is the sort of manager who we are considering to lead Monaghan? Didn't he also tell players at one team he managed that they weren't allowed to kick the ball?

And now we are throwing Banty into the mix?

We would be a total laughing stock to go down this road."
Indeed I remember it well. And this was also the era of the Donegal Maor Uidce playing a significant role on the pitch ....

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 679 - 01/08/2019 19:51:36    2219550

Link

I'm just hoping that if its true that The Ganty, that's what I'm calling them from now on, were interviewed it's because procedure has to be followed.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 01/08/2019 22:42:13    2219603

Link

Replying To Frost:  "What a statement. Yeah let's listen to the people who don't go to a club game all year, only go to monaghan games because their daughters/sons hear their friends talk about the team at school. Yeah they should really have an influence on who picks the team.

People who should have a say in picking the new management are people who have been around the team when they've been successful ie, co board chairman, secretary, treasurer and most importantly players. Not supporters.
Also Pauric Duffy having a say in picking the team is an absolute joke. Just because he is a good CEO doesn't make him a good fit for on the field matters ie Ed Woodward. It's time Monaghan start living to our potential and go for a manager with proven success at the top level no matter what it takes ie MONEY. As a genuine supporter, who lives in another county that seem to be doing things right at senior level eventually after a number of years underage success (Cavan), they've gone for a proven manager at senior club level and highly regarded within the county, with possibly the best coach within OUR COUNTY, we need to go for the best, ie Rochford, Gilroy, Farrell with the best coaches/selectors in the business around him ie Mc entee, Mc Conville, Gallagher, Bohan and even Banty.

I would have a massive problem with Pauric Duffy(what has he won at this level) having a say on who our manager is, he's going to want someone who will believe in Croke Parks hierarchy's ideas more than what's best for Monaghan. Big statement, but I know first hand how these boys work and have seen it being the detriment of my adopted club. As for Declan Loughman, quit the crack will yas. Light years behind modern day coaching.

Rochford, Mc Entee and Gilroy as an advisory roll, what a statement that would be. Let's pump the money into our marquee team and not to a Centre of Excellence. We seem to have the corporate side booming let's pump it into the most important team within the county.

Anyway I've full trust in the Co. Board Hierarchy as they've been there for the last number of years during Mals time to see what has worked and what hasn't and have no doubt they will make the right choice. Roll on 2020."
what a silly statement to make about supporters.. so many gaels in our great county follow their clubs and their county up and down the country... I know this because I see so many a the same heads at both club and county games.. full confidence in the board to make the selection.. for god sake man our championship finals will be on Christmas day this year. One thing I will agree with you is the business side is booming but I never seen a euro note kick over a point and u also wont see that from our players if banty/Gallagher get in..

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 184 - 02/08/2019 09:56:53    2219662

Link

Would Laois's John Sugrue be an option or Pádraic Joyce?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 718 - 02/08/2019 10:15:52    2219666

Link

The Conservative nature of MORs approach is what ultimately turned me off him

I can't help but think about pep guardiola and Manchester City.. Their core objectives can be transferred to the gaa pitch...passing for the sake of passing needs to be abolished.. I get why we do the patient build up but there's a time and a place and it's not always and everywhere.

Turnovers is one of the most important think imo in gaelic football today. I believe we should focus on this. The incoming manager needs ambition and should clearly outline how he's going to do almost the opposite to Rory Gallagher...

MOR, Gallagher, mcguinness etc are too keen on getting bodies back and forcing the error thus gaining possession followed by slow patient build up. This, on paper, works but doesn't really win trophies (anymore)

Going back to Turnovers, it needs to be practiced, worked on and implemented especially in the oppositions half / final third. One of my favourite points in the MOR era is when wylie/mansy turned over the ball deep in opposition territory and mansy did what he does best. See link below :-)

https://youtu.be/M6Kp2NpI2P8

If the opposition do make it to within our 45 that's when we have our bodies back, make it difficult and hopefully force the error.

Probably the most difficult thing about intense Turnovers is the modern refs inclination to give soft cards.. We've struggled with discipline in the past. Needs to be addressed.

Gallagher can't do any of the above... I remember playing fermanagh this year and when they were a point down the forwards were still racing back to flood the defence. It was so hard to watch..

God I hope he doesn't come in

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 02/08/2019 10:30:25    2219676

Link