Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Surely the county board isn't obliged to select 1 of the 3 nominated......it must have the authority to target other candidates it deems suitable ? eg next week Rochford might be available if Mayo depart AI series !"
Correction........if Donegal depart AI series

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 26/07/2019 16:27:44    2216833

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Predictable article, helped along no doubt by the Corvally self-promotion machine. It could just as easily read 'McGleenan in line for shock return to county management'."
Some man to promote himself more power to him but I don't want to see him back at the helm. The lads that are still there from his time would be wondering what the hell is this guy doing back here when they have moved on so much from the days of moral victories and nearly men in ulster. Think Kieran Hughes summed it up when he said malachy had taken them to a point where counties like armagh and down were seeing them as a big scalp to take in recent years. Banty did a great job back then making them contenders but the game has moved on along with the players mentality. The new manager should have evidence of success on his CV at provincial or all ireland club county level.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 26/07/2019 19:39:02    2216898

Link

Well said.

green1demon (Monaghan) - Posts: 25 - 27/07/2019 12:03:58    2217046

Link

Tony McEntee and Declan Loughman,county board get their finger out and get up to Dublin and get Pat Gilroy in as a selector.He could train the Dublin based players once a week and come down the thursday night for full squad training.

The Money is there to do this,he would be the man to take us to the next level,2 All Ireland winning men in our back room team and one Monaghan man who knows every player in the county who is worth giving a chance to.

GET IT DONE!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1353 - 28/07/2019 22:54:41    2217919

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Tony McEntee and Declan Loughman,county board get their finger out and get up to Dublin and get Pat Gilroy in as a selector.He could train the Dublin based players once a week and come down the thursday night for full squad training.

The Money is there to do this,he would be the man to take us to the next level,2 All Ireland winning men in our back room team and one Monaghan man who knows every player in the county who is worth giving a chance to.

GET IT DONE!"
Agree with this McEntee with those lads would be great appointment. You won't get Gilroy to commit through I understand he has a v demanding job.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 29/07/2019 18:30:33    2218378

Link

Rory Gallagher approached by Co. Board committee I hear. May be leaving Fermanagh.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 78 - 29/07/2019 19:25:34    2218403

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Tony McEntee and Declan Loughman,county board get their finger out and get up to Dublin and get Pat Gilroy in as a selector.He could train the Dublin based players once a week and come down the thursday night for full squad training.

GET IT DONE!"
You said it. Let's convince Gilroy that our team and county is worthy of him and desrves him. Get oisin mc conville in too as a forwards coach and pay them all the money they deserve and need to deliver. Let's get it done before the end of August and get the new management at the county championship games.

Under no circumstances should Rory Gallagher or anyone associated with the fermangh managr our team.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 127 - 29/07/2019 21:42:44    2218491

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Rory Gallagher approached by Co. Board committee I hear. May be leaving Fermanagh."
Jaysus - that would be disastrous!!

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 673 - 30/07/2019 11:56:23    2218684

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "You said it. Let's convince Gilroy that our team and county is worthy of him and desrves him. Get oisin mc conville in too as a forwards coach and pay them all the money they deserve and need to deliver. Let's get it done before the end of August and get the new management at the county championship games.

Under no circumstances should Rory Gallagher or anyone associated with the fermangh managr our team."
Maybe with our forward talent, Gallagher would be more expansive. Would have him before others mentioned except McEntee & Rochford. Gilroy not avaiable as far as I know.

Rochford, McEntee & Loughman......howz about that for a Mgt team !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 30/07/2019 13:17:16    2218719

Link

Wouldn't have Gallagher at all.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 658 - 30/07/2019 14:35:34    2218752

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Maybe with our forward talent, Gallagher would be more expansive. Would have him before others mentioned except McEntee & Rochford. Gilroy not avaiable as far as I know.

Rochford, McEntee & Loughman......howz about that for a Mgt team !"
that would be a decent management team alright. would you add in McConville to that too ??? or Pat Gilroy but people seem to say he couldn't commit. on the Gallagher front i personal would not like to see him in charge maybe as a selector but defiantly not the main man. As the weeks go on im sure there will be a few more names thrown around. but it would be nice to have them all in place so they could watch the club championship and have a few people they feel could make the step up picked out before the year is finished.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 30/07/2019 18:24:32    2218845

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Maybe with our forward talent, Gallagher would be more expansive. Would have him before others mentioned except McEntee & Rochford. Gilroy not avaiable as far as I know.

How would Gallagher be more expensive in the forward division.? Bar mc manus fermanagh have arguably better forwards than us and you seen what Gallagher subjected them to. What would he do with us.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 127 - 30/07/2019 21:38:46    2218903

Link

What has Declan Loughman won as a manager or coach at the Top Level club or county for him to get this job. No chance in hell should he get it. We need someone who is tactically astute for this job either as a manager or a selector like Leo was for the last number of years. Mc Entee maybe a very good coach but as a manager I'd have my doubts. Monaghan need to go for a manager proven at this level. Banty/ Loughman/ Mc entee/ McAleenan/ arent the answers In regards to managing all could have roles but not the main one. Rochford/ Gilroy/ Dessie Farrell even maybe John sugrue are boys we should be looking at with the likes of Mc Entee Gallagher Mc Conville as coaches and selectors. Not bloody Declan Loughman

Frost (Cavan) - Posts: 48 - 31/07/2019 10:00:11    2219000

Link

Talk to anyone in donegal. Gallagher is an absolute no for me.. Disasertous name in the pot

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 77 - 31/07/2019 10:19:27    2219013

Link

The Irish News is suggesting that a Gallagher/McEnaney combination is a possibility. I hope this isn't to be taken seriously. It's not the way forward for Monaghan. I was sorry enough when McEnaney left in 2010 especially given what followed but I don't think he got the best out of the squad he had and he is definitely past his sell by date now.
Monaghan should be a top job for any decent manager. Plenty of talent and just missed out last year to getting to the final. People should be queueing up to get interviewed.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 54 - 31/07/2019 10:36:37    2219021

Link

The Corvally PR machine is at it again this morning, drawing in a proven tactician (how dubious the tactics are is another story) to bolster the ticket. I'm the sensible heads at CB level are not prone to being swayed such paper-talk.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 31/07/2019 11:23:48    2219040

Link

This is a disaster and the worse thing that could happen monaghan football.. it will be dealt with by foot fall at games as banty is not well got in the county. Gallagher obviously we don't know much about.. time the county board started listening to the supporters and not go by who brings the most finance to the job.

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 181 - 31/07/2019 11:30:53    2219041

Link

No to Gallagehr and Mc Enaney. I simply cannot believe this is even an option :(

Muineachain76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 180 - 31/07/2019 11:50:04    2219048

Link

Replying To Muineachain76:  "No to Gallagehr and Mc Enaney. I simply cannot believe this is even an option :("
Last thing we need is another manager who, apologies to Malachy, is scared of talent and puts work rate above ability. This is simply not an option. I'd sooner have Banty on his own.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 31/07/2019 12:01:56    2219055

Link

Not sure how you can say that. He left Corrigan and Quigley on the bench while they were kicking 15 wides v Kildare last year. Hiring him would be wasting 2 years like we did with Eamon McE in 2010 and we don't have 2 years to waste.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 31/07/2019 12:08:10    2219061

Link