Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

will there be others nominated or in the running somehow tell me its not just down to these names.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 160 - 23/07/2019 16:53:36    2215343

Link

McEntee might be a good candidate, but in the face of pretty much nobody wanting the other 2, it's a race of one? If he does get it, we'd be getting someone who has never actually managed at inter county level. I'd rather us not be the team that someone uses to learn the ropes with.
Hope nobody in the squad is looking for a friendly arm around their shoulder, McEntee pulls no punches by all accounts...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 366 - 23/07/2019 22:14:31    2215487

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "These are who the clubs nominated? based on what i wonder, was there an application process or who else had been put forward?"
Application comes via a club nomination. These are the only 3 in for it .... unless Brad Pitt loses the head himself and goes for it .... but he's not even managed the U-12s before...... so Banty wouldn't be too worried about him, me thinks

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 23/07/2019 23:43:59    2215534

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Application comes via a club nomination. These are the only 3 in for it .... unless Brad Pitt loses the head himself and goes for it .... but he's not even managed the U-12s before...... so Banty wouldn't be too worried about him, me thinks"
Brad did rightly with the Oakland A's in fairness

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 744 - 24/07/2019 07:00:52    2215564

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "These are who the clubs nominated? based on what i wonder, was there an application process or who else had been put forward?"
For what should be one of the most sought after positions in GAA, that is an underwhelming 3. McGleenan? No! Had his chance in Cavan, made them worse. Banty? No! Despite my original post where I favoured him. Football has gone away from that "Bang on the table" mentality. That's more for hurling, where let's face it, you have to be a psychopath to play! Any way, this Monaghan team doesn't need that kind of motivation. And even if they did, from what I hear, after a Vinny Corey speech they'd walk through a brick wall. So that leaves McEntee. No problem with him but thought there was better out there. What about Nelson that used to manage Latton? Heard nothing but good things about him.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 422 - 24/07/2019 15:58:36    2215823

Link

I have a sinking feeling that we are heading back to the future on this one. A weak field of candidates opens up that possibility even more. Not where this Monaghan team need to be heading.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 693 - 25/07/2019 13:14:31    2216261

Link

Yep, unfortunately that possibility is very much on the horizon, despite what some people might like to think...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 366 - 25/07/2019 19:26:22    2216471

Link

Word from inside the players group is Banty won't get the job.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1834 - 25/07/2019 22:09:17    2216554

Link

Are we sure it's these 3 - would expect a deeper trawl to be fair, was it not the players who championed MoR when before he was appointed

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 62 - 26/07/2019 09:18:31    2216636

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Word from inside the players group is Banty won't get the job."
I've heard this too, I'm sure the players will have a big say and surely they themselves know who the best choice here is.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 675 - 26/07/2019 09:49:59    2216651

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I've heard this too, I'm sure the players will have a big say and surely they themselves know who the best choice here is."
Doubt very much if McManus would welcome him with open arms after the abuse, both physical and verbal, he took in Wexford from the two full backs .... as instructed I'm sure .... which resultsed in a red for McManus.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 26/07/2019 09:56:27    2216656

Link

Replying To conjack76:  "Are we sure it's these 3 - would expect a deeper trawl to be fair, was it not the players who championed MoR when before he was appointed"
Nominations are in & closed and these are the only names mentioned.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 26/07/2019 10:46:33    2216685

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Doubt very much if McManus would welcome him with open arms after the abuse, both physical and verbal, he took in Wexford from the two full backs .... as instructed I'm sure .... which resultsed in a red for McManus."
I doubt he would either, Monaghan are past that stage of just being a team of hardy men, believe it or not we can actually play football now too, we've gotten ourselves to the top level, beaten all the big teams, be it league or championship we are competing, we've all seen it ourselves over the past few years and we all believe we can mix it with the best now.

The bar has been raised and set by Malachy, as aforementioned we are competing at the top level, so let's get a manager who is equal to that. It's what they deserve and i'm sure they will make the right call. We shouldn't be looking backwards at all at previous managers..

On a side note how does the nominations work, there is more than 3 clubs in Monaghan so were these 3 candidates the majority of the nominations

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 675 - 26/07/2019 11:50:22    2216707

Link

Yeh, surely out of all the clubs, more than 3 names came up? And at what stage do the players get a say? The names go to the selection committee, but what then? What if the committee decided they didn't like any of the candidates?

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 366 - 26/07/2019 12:29:13    2216727

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I doubt he would either, Monaghan are past that stage of just being a team of hardy men, believe it or not we can actually play football now too, we've gotten ourselves to the top level, beaten all the big teams, be it league or championship we are competing, we've all seen it ourselves over the past few years and we all believe we can mix it with the best now.

The bar has been raised and set by Malachy, as aforementioned we are competing at the top level, so let's get a manager who is equal to that. It's what they deserve and i'm sure they will make the right call. We shouldn't be looking backwards at all at previous managers..

On a side note how does the nominations work, there is more than 3 clubs in Monaghan so were these 3 candidates the majority of the nominations"
Surely the county board isn't obliged to select 1 of the 3 nominated......it must have the authority to target other candidates it deems suitable ? eg next week Rochford might be available if Mayo depart AI series !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 26/07/2019 12:37:39    2216734

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Surely the county board isn't obliged to select 1 of the 3 nominated......it must have the authority to target other candidates it deems suitable ? eg next week Rochford might be available if Mayo depart AI series !"
Yes there is a sub committee who are free to approach any candidates they want. The nomination process by clubs is only one way of someone being in contention to get the job. For example the last time Malachy was not nominated by a club but approached and interviewed ultimately getting the job. We have a couple of months before an appointment is needed, in fairness they got the appointment spot on the last time so have to trust that they will come up with the right candidate.

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 133 - 26/07/2019 13:01:41    2216743

Link

Replying To sporto:  "Yes there is a sub committee who are free to approach any candidates they want. The nomination process by clubs is only one way of someone being in contention to get the job. For example the last time Malachy was not nominated by a club but approached and interviewed ultimately getting the job. We have a couple of months before an appointment is needed, in fairness they got the appointment spot on the last time so have to trust that they will come up with the right candidate."
That's good to know. At leasT there's an out so. Still reckon there are not many candidates out there as good as McEntee.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 26/07/2019 13:32:32    2216760

Link

Replying To sporto:  "Yes there is a sub committee who are free to approach any candidates they want. The nomination process by clubs is only one way of someone being in contention to get the job. For example the last time Malachy was not nominated by a club but approached and interviewed ultimately getting the job. We have a couple of months before an appointment is needed, in fairness they got the appointment spot on the last time so have to trust that they will come up with the right candidate."
It's official:
http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/302154

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 26/07/2019 13:33:49    2216762

Link

Predictable article, helped along no doubt by the Corvally self-promotion machine. It could just as easily read 'McGleenan in line for shock return to county management'.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 693 - 26/07/2019 14:21:28    2216781

Link

Relieved to hear that ..........clubs probably know that so giving the initiative to county board. Which club nominated McEntee ? Seans maybe as his father comes from there !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 26/07/2019 16:13:07    2216829

Link