Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FootblockREF:  "McGleenan is a bluffer of the highest order. Remember the year he put Kieran Hughes on Mansy in county final? It didn't work. Scotstown still won but it didn't work. It's the kind of crap that manager does when they want to be the story. The cute hoor syndrome. And we've had enough of that."
he said in the post match interview that it was his kid's idea.. county team probably need an adult pulling the strings in fairness

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 77 - 10/07/2019 08:06:48    2208834

Link

Pat Gilroy would be my choice with a combination of dinky Mc bride, finbarr fitzpatrick, Damien Freeman and Loughman. A manager who is well respected and who has a proven track record and not too far away. He has won an all ireland and can develop players. Add in Mc bride who has the ulster experience, Fitzpatrick who understands the set up and Damien Freeman to add the south Monaghan representation and then also Loughman who understands Monaghan football.

Another combination is the Crossmaglen team of Mc entees, Mc conville and Alan O neill maybe. Maybe Aidan O rourke into this too.

Loads of options but county board WILL pay the money for a good name because the sponsorship is there and the team is there. Expect a big name and a south Monaghan representation.

On the Thursday before the All ireland Minor semi final last year Banty was on Newstalk giving an interview on how great he was and how he had developed the minor team and how they were a credit and blowing and boasting. I didn't see the Kerry manager on the radio talking.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 127 - 10/07/2019 19:13:59    2209205

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Pat Gilroy would be my choice with a combination of dinky Mc bride, finbarr fitzpatrick, Damien Freeman and Loughman. A manager who is well respected and who has a proven track record and not too far away. He has won an all ireland and can develop players. Add in Mc bride who has the ulster experience, Fitzpatrick who understands the set up and Damien Freeman to add the south Monaghan representation and then also Loughman who understands Monaghan football.

Another combination is the Crossmaglen team of Mc entees, Mc conville and Alan O neill maybe. Maybe Aidan O rourke into this too.

Loads of options but county board WILL pay the money for a good name because the sponsorship is there and the team is there. Expect a big name and a south Monaghan representation.

On the Thursday before the All ireland Minor semi final last year Banty was on Newstalk giving an interview on how great he was and how he had developed the minor team and how they were a credit and blowing and boasting. I didn't see the Kerry manager on the radio talking."
If Pat Gilroy hadn't the time to continue managing the Dublin Hurlers who were on his doorstep how would he get the time to manager a team that is and hour and a half away??

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 304 - 11/07/2019 09:38:19    2209353

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "If Pat Gilroy hadn't the time to continue managing the Dublin Hurlers who were on his doorstep how would he get the time to manager a team that is and hour and a half away??"
Not sure too many good outside managers would want to manage us.

Look at Tyrone had a Tyrone man when they won Sam. Armagh the same and down, cavan, donegal and derry had a manager from within when they won Sam.

Do you think monaghan will be the first county to win Sam with an outside manager?

Should be looking within the county

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 12/07/2019 15:21:33    2209994

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Not sure too many good outside managers would want to manage us.

Look at Tyrone had a Tyrone man when they won Sam. Armagh the same and down, cavan, donegal and derry had a manager from within when they won Sam.

Do you think monaghan will be the first county to win Sam with an outside manager?

Should be looking within the county"
Outside of Cavan football you obviously don't know much?
Eugene McGee a Longford man, managed Offaly to an All Ireland.
In 1998 and 2001 Galway won the all ireland under the guidance of Mayo's John O'Mahoney.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1824 - 12/07/2019 17:38:34    2210044

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Not sure too many good outside managers would want to manage us.

Should be looking within the county"
I am sure the board will make the right decision. We have a United support who are used to winning, great sponsors etc. Hopefully whoever gets the gig wouldn't oversee an annihilation in an Ulster final and a ''hide under the table type result' in a qualifying game - Jayz that would be soul destroying

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 673 - 12/07/2019 22:20:59    2210150

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Pat Gilroy would be my choice with a combination of dinky Mc bride, finbarr fitzpatrick, Damien Freeman and Loughman. A manager who is well respected and who has a proven track record and not too far away. He has won an all ireland and can develop players. Add in Mc bride who has the ulster experience, Fitzpatrick who understands the set up and Damien Freeman to add the south Monaghan representation and then also Loughman who understands Monaghan football.

On the Thursday before the All ireland Minor semi final last year Banty was on Newstalk giving an interview on how great he was and how he had developed the minor team and how they were a credit and blowing and boasting. I didn't see the Kerry manager on the radio talking."
That same minor team (u17) wiped all before them at under 16 level the previous year 2017 (Gerry Reilly cup etc). For some reason we did not enter a team in that competition last year

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 13/07/2019 17:31:56    2210293

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Outside of Cavan football you obviously don't know much?
Eugene McGee a Longford man, managed Offaly to an All Ireland.
In 1998 and 2001 Galway won the all ireland under the guidance of Mayo's John O'Mahoney."
I was talking ulster football

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 13/07/2019 23:13:14    2210459

Link

'I didnt see the Kerry manager on the radio talking'

And you're sure you saw Banty on the radio?

Pat Kilroy! No chance. I think Damien Freeman is a good shout. If we are going outside I would like to see Stephen Rochford. FWIW - I think Banty has something to offer in a set up just for sheer motivation. I wouldnt have him as the number 1 as he is clueless tactically but he could work with someone.

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 142 - 15/07/2019 14:12:00    2211366

Link

Replying To Gator:  "'I didnt see the Kerry manager on the radio talking'

Pat Kilroy! No chance. I think Damien Freeman is a good shout. If we are going outside I would like to see Stephen Rochford. FWIW - I think Banty has something to offer in a set up just for sheer motivation. I wouldnt have him as the number 1 as he is clueless tactically but he could work with someone."
Banty cannot and ,more than likely, will not be involved. That would be a step back. I don't like using this phrase but on paper we are a strong team and when you're a good team on paper a very good coach or manager can really make a huge difference. There are countless examples of this. We shouldn't be resorting to getting Banty to motivate us. GAA is moving away from the blood and thunder approach. Davey Fitz straddles the line sometimes but he's the only one who springs to mind, most coaches these days are quite reserved.

I'm sure the county board have enjoyed the hype, the column inches and the increased profile the county team have received over the past few years. They won't jeopardise that slipping away by making a rash appointment.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 15/07/2019 17:16:31    2211468

Link

Replying To Gator:  "'I didnt see the Kerry manager on the radio talking'

Pat Kilroy! No chance. I think Damien Freeman is a good shout. If we are going outside I would like to see Stephen Rochford. FWIW - I think Banty has something to offer in a set up just for sheer motivation. I wouldnt have him as the number 1 as he is clueless tactically but he could work with someone."
I thought Banty would be good too, not in a number 1 role. But after seeing his antics on the line in Breffni with under 20s, it's obvious it has to be number 1 or nothing with him. He dictated everything that day & was clueless tactically ! Pity because he is a great motivator, treats his players extremely well but is dictatorial tactically without having a clue !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 15/07/2019 17:24:27    2211476

Link

Any word on who got nominated the other night for the job ?

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 17/07/2019 08:01:24    2212182

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Any word on who got nominated the other night for the job ?"
I believe all clubs were nominating someone right?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 658 - 17/07/2019 13:07:54    2212327

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I believe all clubs were nominating someone right?"
McGleenan, Banty, Tony McEntee

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 22/07/2019 18:42:55    2214896

Link

Hardly a stellar lineup is it?

People on here keep saying Banty won't get the job, and yet here we are, his name in the pot. People said Trump wouldn't get the presidents job...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 350 - 22/07/2019 19:58:56    2214937

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "Hardly a stellar lineup is it?

People on here keep saying Banty won't get the job, and yet here we are, his name in the pot. People said Trump wouldn't get the presidents job..."
McEntee would be an excellent choice. Has won club All Ireland's and been on coaching ticket to three All Ireland's with Mayo...... Replay included. Can't think of anyone in the country better who is available .... and relatively local. If either of the other two actually got it, and I honestly don't think the county board are that demented, I'd be settling into the omnibus of Eastenders come the 1st Sunday of the national league.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 22/07/2019 20:37:48    2214955

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "McEntee would be an excellent choice. Has won club All Ireland's and been on coaching ticket to three All Ireland's with Mayo...... Replay included. Can't think of anyone in the country better who is available .... and relatively local. If either of the other two actually got it, and I honestly don't think the county board are that demented, I'd be settling into the omnibus of Eastenders come the 1st Sunday of the national league."
Ha don't think eastenders does the Sunday marathon one anymore. McEntee has been my first choice all along so I hope he gets it the other two would not cut it.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 22/07/2019 22:03:27    2215007

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "McGleenan, Banty, Tony McEntee"
Reading that makes me feel like Brad Pitt in Seven when he finds out what's in the box

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 23/07/2019 06:12:02    2215064

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "McGleenan, Banty, Tony McEntee"
These are who the clubs nominated? based on what i wonder, was there an application process or who else had been put forward?

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 77 - 23/07/2019 10:53:29    2215137

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "These are who the clubs nominated? based on what i wonder, was there an application process or who else had been put forward?"
My understanding is that nominations were due in last Friday / Friday week. They were the three nominated. You'd imagine McGleenan was nominated by Scotstown. Not sure re the other two.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 23/07/2019 11:50:53    2215186

Link