Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Canavan seems very knowledgeable on Sky so yes he might have potential in some capacity. I don't know if he has much management experience though or if he would have any desire to get involved - he was certainly one of the all time great players. Re Sean Cavanagh, I have never heard him say anything positive about Monaghan and would not rate him - has he achieved anything in management? He is not much of a pundit either. As for Ricey, no way - Monaghan should have no association with him or what he stand's for.

Mc Conville has always spoken highly of Monaghan and rates us and in some capacity - as a forwards coach, all ireland winner... would be good to have involved if he could be persuaded. Fairly local too which is always positive and knows some of the players from him time at Dundalk IT.

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 04/07/2019 14:42:51    2205468

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Everybody runs Louth into the ground."
Malachy wouldn't....but Louth will never find out now will they ?

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 04/07/2019 16:27:20    2205507

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "I personally would like to see a former all ireland winner take the reigns. be it from playing or managing.

A person whose "been there and done that"

I suppose Mick Bohan ticks that box. So does jimmy mcguinness and oisin mcconville.

Here's one name I haven't seen mentioned yet - Peter Canavan? definitely can bring some good qualities but maybe sky has him wrapped up for now.
Would any monaghan fans like to see sean cavanagh or ryan mcmenimen (or the likes) involved in the management team?"
Peter Canavan was useless with Fermanagh !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 04/07/2019 16:29:41    2205508

Link

Replying To theborderfox:  "Yes Canavan is a great name in the mix. Class. So would McMenamin . Not dying about Cavanagh after he slated Mickey Harte who after all led him to 3 Sams"
Lads forget about 'Names' who were great players in the past. We deserve someone with a proven track record. Canavan got his chance with Fermanagh & blew it.......they couldn't wait to get rid. Pete McGrath & Rory Gallagher were major improvements on him and that's not saying much !
Even an upcoming manager with a very good club or county under age record should be considered but names like Canavan & Cavanagh no way !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 04/07/2019 16:36:16    2205513

Link

Replying To OrielPower:  "Canavan seems very knowledgeable on Sky so yes he might have potential in some capacity. I don't know if he has much management experience though or if he would have any desire to get involved - he was certainly one of the all time great players. Re Sean Cavanagh, I have never heard him say anything positive about Monaghan and would not rate him - has he achieved anything in management? He is not much of a pundit either. As for Ricey, no way - Monaghan should have no association with him or what he stand's for.

Mc Conville has always spoken highly of Monaghan and rates us and in some capacity - as a forwards coach, all ireland winner... would be good to have involved if he could be persuaded. Fairly local too which is always positive and knows some of the players from him time at Dundalk IT."
he has a decent enough management resume.. i only knew about fermanagh, but (according to wiki) since then he's had success with cavan gaels and tyrone u21...

id say he's very good at the IT / stats thing and we all know he has a good brain outside of that...

i like the idea of mcconville too...add in a decent brain (corey) and you've got all the right ingredients at least

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 77 - 04/07/2019 16:42:02    2205517

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Peter Canavan was useless with Fermanagh !"
Fermanagh do not have the squad to be good.

Canavan was great footballer but not sure about management

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 04/07/2019 19:03:40    2205578

Link

Tony McEntee and Oisin

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 04/07/2019 19:55:46    2205595

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Tony McEntee and Oisin"
Tony McEntee for sure. It's a no brainer.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 05/07/2019 10:41:18    2205792

Link

I would have a real fear that we will see the second coming of Banty. He will be having more than a word in the ear of anyone who will listen, and has enough connections to make sure he is heard. In the absence of anyone else who is really pushing for the job, he could be the 'easy' option. It would be a huge mistake in my opinion, but be very sure that it is a real possibility.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 350 - 06/07/2019 11:11:55    2206179

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "I would have a real fear that we will see the second coming of Banty. He will be having more than a word in the ear of anyone who will listen, and has enough connections to make sure he is heard. In the absence of anyone else who is really pushing for the job, he could be the 'easy' option. It would be a huge mistake in my opinion, but be very sure that it is a real possibility."
He'll not be the next manager

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 659 - 06/07/2019 11:32:09    2206192

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "I would have a real fear that we will see the second coming of Banty. He will be having more than a word in the ear of anyone who will listen, and has enough connections to make sure he is heard. In the absence of anyone else who is really pushing for the job, he could be the 'easy' option. It would be a huge mistake in my opinion, but be very sure that it is a real possibility."
Last Sunday took care of that

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 06/07/2019 12:03:41    2206207

Link

I tell you what lads if you have the players that will commit themselves to what is required to win an All Ireland you need look no further than Mattie McGlennan and Lorcan Martin two people with ambition and I am sure with the right bunch of lads (PLAYERS) around them that are willing to give it a lash by that I mean acquire the standard required to make the high alter in the holy grail Croke Park then these two men are the people you need. If however the players are not willing to commit then there is no point in bringing in anyone at a huge expense for you are wasting your time and money.
To become top of the pile players have to be willing to make sacrifices that go far beyond training two and three nights a week. Personally I feel that Monaghan county board would not be making a mistake. They are worth having a chat with maybe they might not even want the job this is my own personal opinion.
Before you chat with them the players would have to buy into their plans otherwise I would say don't waste their time. Don't mind what they did in another county but having said that they brought them to Division 2 and brought them right back to Division 1 also not that long ago they were narrowly defeated by Tyrone when only a kick of a ball separated them. The rest off course is history.

The Quiet Man (Cavan) - Posts: 4496 - 07/07/2019 01:04:56    2206725

Link

Replying To The Quiet Man:  "I tell you what lads if you have the players that will commit themselves to what is required to win an All Ireland you need look no further than Mattie McGlennan and Lorcan Martin two people with ambition and I am sure with the right bunch of lads (PLAYERS) around them that are willing to give it a lash by that I mean acquire the standard required to make the high alter in the holy grail Croke Park then these two men are the people you need. If however the players are not willing to commit then there is no point in bringing in anyone at a huge expense for you are wasting your time and money.
To become top of the pile players have to be willing to make sacrifices that go far beyond training two and three nights a week. Personally I feel that Monaghan county board would not be making a mistake. They are worth having a chat with maybe they might not even want the job this is my own personal opinion.
Before you chat with them the players would have to buy into their plans otherwise I would say don't waste their time. Don't mind what they did in another county but having said that they brought them to Division 2 and brought them right back to Division 1 also not that long ago they were narrowly defeated by Tyrone when only a kick of a ball separated them. The rest off course is history."
Terrible idea. And how dare you insinuate that our players are dedicated enough. Some quote from a county that gave up after 20 minutes in Clones yesterday.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 07/07/2019 13:47:36    2206978

Link

Going for an outsider again will be a mistake,We got lucky with Malachy,he's a decent,honset hard working manager who put alot of time and dedication into been Monaghan Manager and that is and will be hard to find in the next man that looks for it from outside the County.

I feel at this stage of this teams career we would be better off with a Monaghan Man in Charge,with a top class strenght and Condition coach to get us up to Tyrone,and Donegal, level as i feel we have slipped behind them this past 3 years.

My Choice would be Declan Loughman as Manager.
for the reason of Knowing every player from top to bottom in the county.......plus there would be no nonsence from him media wise,straight with the players and also knows what it takes to be a winner as he was part of the famous 80's team that rocked our worlds for a few brilliant summers.Done all he could with a poor Blaney team and is doing well with an up and coming Emyvale team at the minute.

Finbarr Fitzpatrick could come back in as a selector as he was part of the management team that won Ulster in 2013 and 2015 he's another man that just gets on with the job and thats what we need.

The third man i would love to see on our sideline would be Pat Gilroy from Dublin.
He cleared up the mess left by Pillar Cafferey,won an All Ireland and laid the foundations for Jim Galvin to build the machine that Dublin are today.

He runs his own business so been in complete charge of the team would be a no go, but been a selector would free up some of his time,and would be a serious man to have on the line to bring us to the next level.

A long with bringing in and Blooding some new talent that is out there we have a window of 2 years before the core of the group is gone and then we will be in serious trouble if the new man doesnt do this next season.

David McAllister,Peter O'Hanlon,Barry Kerr,Andrew Woods,Kevin O'Hanlon,Barry McGinn,James Mealiff,Sean Burns,Aaron Mulligan,Christopher McGunniess,Colm Lennon,Dean Connolly,Jamie Walshe,Ryan O'Toole,Robbie McAllister.

All these players to be put on S&C course from September and blooded during the NFL,that way we can finally build a panel to compete with Tyrone and Donegal as this is what they have done and this is why the are ahead of us at the minute.

Manager Declan Loughman,Selectors,Pat Gilroy,Finbarr Fitzpatrick. County Board could then spend the money on a Top S&C coach to build the above players and the established players into a Serious outfit again, that is NOT GOING TO GET BULLIED BY ANY TEAM AGAIN!!

We are still alive,on sunday week we are going for back to back Ulster Minor titles the future is good for those players lets give them something to aim for in 5 years time..............Build it,they will come.[\/][\].

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1353 - 08/07/2019 00:36:13    2207535

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Going for an outsider again will be a mistake,We got lucky with Malachy,he's a decent,honset hard working manager who put alot of time and dedication into been Monaghan Manager and that is and will be hard to find in the next man that looks for it from outside the County.

I feel at this stage of this teams career we would be better off with a Monaghan Man in Charge,with a top class strenght and Condition coach to get us up to Tyrone,and Donegal, level as i feel we have slipped behind them this past 3 years.

for the reason of Knowing every player from top to bottom in the county.......plus there would be no nonsence from him media wise,straight with the players and also knows what it takes to be a winner as he was part of the famous 80's team that rocked our worlds for a few brilliant summers.Done all he could with a poor Blaney team and is doing well with an up and coming Emyvale team at the minute.

Finbarr Fitzpatrick could come back in as a selector as he was part of the management team that won Ulster in 2013 and 2015 he's another man that just gets on with the job and thats what we need.

The third man i would love to see on our sideline would be Pat Gilroy from Dublin.
He cleared up the mess left by Pillar Cafferey,won an All Ireland and laid the foundations for Jim Galvin to build the machine that Dublin are today.

He runs his own business so been in complete charge of the team would be a no go, but been a selector would free up some of his time,and would be a serious man to have on the line to bring us to the next level.

A long with bringing in and Blooding some new talent that is out there we have a window of 2 years before the core of the group is gone and then we will be in serious trouble if the new man doesnt do this next season.

David McAllister,Peter O'Hanlon,Barry Kerr,Andrew Woods,Kevin O'Hanlon,Barry McGinn,James Mealiff,Sean Burns,Aaron Mulligan,Christopher McGunniess,Colm Lennon,Dean Connolly,Jamie Walshe,Ryan O'Toole,Robbie McAllister.

All these players to be put on S&C course from September and blooded during the NFL,that way we can finally build a panel to compete with Tyrone and Donegal as this is what they have done and this is why the are ahead of us at the minute.

Manager Declan Loughman,Selectors,Pat Gilroy,Finbarr Fitzpatrick. County Board could then spend the money on a Top S&C coach to build the above players and the established players into a Serious outfit again, that is NOT GOING TO GET BULLIED BY ANY TEAM AGAIN!!

We are still alive,on sunday week we are going for back to back Ulster Minor titles the future is good for those players lets give them something to aim for in 5 years time..............Build it,they will come.[\/
[\]."]Probably the best post here , the young lads all mentioned by you deserve a fair chance by giving them game time , some serious talent there that has never been used

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 118 - 08/07/2019 09:27:18    2207599

Link

Hope not , his u20 reign says it all , I don't think the county board will be bluffed that handy

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 118 - 08/07/2019 09:56:44    2207622

Link

definitely dont want banty...
also to the people suggesting mcgleenan - what are you basing this on? he wasn't any good with cavan and was blessed with an extremely talented scotstown team.. i reckon he's another bluffer.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 77 - 08/07/2019 11:12:42    2207683

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Going for an outsider again will be a mistake,We got lucky with Malachy,he's a decent,honset hard working manager who put alot of time and dedication into been Monaghan Manager and that is and will be hard to find in the next man that looks for it from outside the County.

We are still alive,on sunday week we are going for back to back Ulster Minor titles the future is good for those players lets give them something to aim for in 5 years time..............Build it,they will come.[\/
[\]."]Good shout on Loughman. Been held in good regard no matter where he's been.
He was offered the job in the past and turned it down. Would be hard to find a better man within the County.

Kevin Carragher also worthy of a mention. Somebody with pedigree and a strong reputation.

Both of these men know the efforts required to take a County team and would be in for the right reasons. It's a full time job and not for somebody with an ego or a selfish agenda.
Colm Malone also a worthy candidate to feature in any backroom team.

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 311 - 08/07/2019 13:13:27    2207788

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "definitely dont want banty...
also to the people suggesting mcgleenan - what are you basing this on? he wasn't any good with cavan and was blessed with an extremely talented scotstown team.. i reckon he's another bluffer."
McGleenan is a bluffer of the highest order. Remember the year he put Kieran Hughes on Mansy in county final? It didn't work. Scotstown still won but it didn't work. It's the kind of crap that manager does when they want to be the story. The cute hoor syndrome. And we've had enough of that.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 09/07/2019 19:39:42    2208610

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "McGleenan is a bluffer of the highest order. Remember the year he put Kieran Hughes on Mansy in county final? It didn't work. Scotstown still won but it didn't work. It's the kind of crap that manager does when they want to be the story. The cute hoor syndrome. And we've had enough of that."
I remember that alright...unbelievable stuff ...for that alone he shouldn't be considered !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 09/07/2019 21:59:40    2208711

Link