Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Free carvery in The West I heard

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 55 - 04/09/2019 13:44:18    2232739

Link

Replying To supermon:  "Yes its important that there is full transparency on who is paid what in terms of expenses or payment for services etc.

I assume there would be no separate accounts kept that are not on the end of year County Board balance sheets?

Are management team and players expenses vouched for?"
Seriously though? Anyone got any answers for this?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1056 - 04/09/2019 19:15:53    2232847

Link

Replying To supermon:  "Yes its important that there is full transparency on who is paid what in terms of expenses or payment for services etc.

I assume there would be no separate accounts kept that are not on the end of year County Board balance sheets?

Are management team and players expenses vouched for?"
This will never be properly known I would say, even at club level some trainers and managers expenses are not known to those within the club or how exactly its paid for. It's quite obvious from the backroom team that money isn't an issue as all of those lads would be on significant expenses, especially the likes of Donnelly.

Any word of a trainer coming in? I would have thought Martin McElkennon would be involved but didn't see his name mentioned yet.

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 133 - 05/09/2019 11:09:00    2232971

Link

Replying To sporto:  "This will never be properly known I would say, even at club level some trainers and managers expenses are not known to those within the club or how exactly its paid for. It's quite obvious from the backroom team that money isn't an issue as all of those lads would be on significant expenses, especially the likes of Donnelly.

Any word of a trainer coming in? I would have thought Martin McElkennon would be involved but didn't see his name mentioned yet."
Donnelly has fulfilled the main part of his job, i.e. appear on the ticket to get McEnaney the job. His actual role will be limited enough it would seem. McElkennon was with the very disappointing U20 team, along with McKeague, so the trio will be back together most likely. Ray Boyne, last seen by most Monaghan people fighting with Tommy Freeman in a corner of Parnell Park, has a big reputation on stats. McEnaney is known to have a loose grasp of percentages and probabilities but it remains to be seen how he will process the data to best effect.

So when you boil it down, Monaghan have the same management team as this year's U20s, with a bit of Conor Laverty (fresh from his work in Derry) thrown in. Class.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 05/09/2019 17:03:15    2233102

Link

Replying To sporto:  "This will never be properly known I would say, even at club level some trainers and managers expenses are not known to those within the club or how exactly its paid for. It's quite obvious from the backroom team that money isn't an issue as all of those lads would be on significant expenses, especially the likes of Donnelly.

Any word of a trainer coming in? I would have thought Martin McElkennon would be involved but didn't see his name mentioned yet."
Awh lads going back for mc elkennon
He flogged lads into the ground to no avail
Keeping him away is best

222 (UK) - Posts: 507 - 05/09/2019 19:09:10    2233122

Link

Ray Boyne, last seen by most Monaghan people fighting with Tommy Freeman in a corner of Parnell Park,
There's a memory from the past. We snatched a draw that day, didn't we? I thought the story at the time was the stats man took the fall, to save any disciplinary action against the real culprit? Was it actually Boyne? Jaysus that seems like a lifetime ago...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 350 - 05/09/2019 20:44:01    2233143

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "Ray Boyne, last seen by most Monaghan people fighting with Tommy Freeman in a corner of Parnell Park,
There's a memory from the past. We snatched a draw that day, didn't we? I thought the story at the time was the stats man took the fall, to save any disciplinary action against the real culprit? Was it actually Boyne? Jaysus that seems like a lifetime ago..."
Travelled to maghercloone with pillar to apologise the next week. Ended in a draw a feisty affair. To be fair to Boyne he has only worked at highest level of game so good appointment. Worrying through if Donnelly is just a token presence on the ticket. Don't know much about Laverty as a coach recall him being a tricky forward. Hopefully he brings something as the tactical side of the game would not be Bantys strongest point. Not sure what is to be honest in fact a few days after his reappointment still seems a v strange decision to appoint him. Hope am wrong but hard to see an upside here.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 05/09/2019 22:55:39    2233176

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "
Replying To moodoo:  "Ray Boyne, last seen by most Monaghan people fighting with Tommy Freeman in a corner of Parnell Park,
There's a memory from the past. We snatched a draw that day, didn't we? I thought the story at the time was the stats man took the fall, to save any disciplinary action against the real culprit? Was it actually Boyne? Jaysus that seems like a lifetime ago..."
Travelled to maghercloone with pillar to apologise the next week. Ended in a draw a feisty affair. To be fair to Boyne he has only worked at highest level of game so good appointment. Worrying through if Donnelly is just a token presence on the ticket. Don't know much about Laverty as a coach recall him being a tricky forward. Hopefully he brings something as the tactical side of the game would not be Bantys strongest point. Not sure what is to be honest in fact a few days after his reappointment still seems a v strange decision to appoint him. Hope am wrong but hard to see an upside here."
Had a week to digest this and yes, very strange decision (despite the spin that there was nobody else) and "very" hard to see any upside. It's a strange mix of individuals. The "ah sure give him a chance" reaction after the initial shock is all well and good but he had a chance and althought did (very) well initially it certainly did not end well. 2010 Ulster final in particular was a shocker. The reality is that we should be looking forward to 2020 ... however ....anyone ... actaully everyone... I have spoken to is kind of grittin the teeth with many fingers crossed.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 06/09/2019 09:31:34    2233222

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Donnelly has fulfilled the main part of his job, i.e. appear on the ticket to get McEnaney the job. His actual role will be limited enough it would seem. McElkennon was with the very disappointing U20 team, along with McKeague, so the trio will be back together most likely. Ray Boyne, last seen by most Monaghan people fighting with Tommy Freeman in a corner of Parnell Park, has a big reputation on stats. McEnaney is known to have a loose grasp of percentages and probabilities but it remains to be seen how he will process the data to best effect.

So when you boil it down, Monaghan have the same management team as this year's U20s, with a bit of Conor Laverty (fresh from his work in Derry) thrown in. Class."
Totally agree, McElkennon has always been on that Management ticket and it won't be long until he appears, agree also about Donnelly's role. But do Monaghan not employ a full time S&C coach? Seems like a complete waste of resources and money to pay another coach when you already employ one, need some joined up thinking here.

TheTruagh(t) (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 06/09/2019 17:29:24    2233357

Link

What is Lavertys role? Is he a coach or what. Strange how a man that was playing football a few years or so ago can become a coach of a division 1 team. I would just like to know what is his background and who he's coached and what he has won ?

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 127 - 06/09/2019 22:28:48    2233385

Link

Laverty manages the Trinity College Sigerson team. He was coach of St Michael's Enniskillen that won the McRory earlier this year.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1855 - 07/09/2019 21:05:14    2233477

Link

Replying To FoolsGold:  "Laverty manages the Trinity College Sigerson team. He was coach of St Michael's Enniskillen that won the McRory earlier this year."
And will he be the trainer or coach or what ?
Hard to believe that a man with only experience of coaching a mc Rory cup team can be good enough for us.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 127 - 08/09/2019 10:32:38    2233515

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "And will he be the trainer or coach or what ?
Hard to believe that a man with only experience of coaching a mc Rory cup team can be good enough for us."
id reckon he is a selector and by his short cv its not a bad one in my opinion for a selector.
either way were all going to have to get behind them and the lads and hope they bring in a few new faces and push on the ones we have. im optimistic for an ulster title with banty , after that i dont think he has what is needed. but hey iv been wrong before lol
hon the farney

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 08/09/2019 12:12:36    2233531

Link

Laverty would likely be a coach, or forwards coach in particular.. Donnelly would probaly be defensive coach along with S/C.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1855 - 08/09/2019 12:26:14    2233532

Link

More miss information from supporters leading to all sorts of crap been said regarding the management set up...........plus the whole social media abuse of Banty is disgusting,and makes us look like a right shower of you know whats........

Easy know none of thoses people were around Monaghan football in the late 90's until 2005 to see the strides we made and the change in culture around the County squad.......

Before Banty came in we had a division 4 team who couldnt wait to go on the beer on an away match.......2 years later we were leading Kerry by a point with 2 minutes left in an All Ireland Quarter Final (and to this day was the best Monaghan football performance in Croke Park).

Peter Donnelly is S&C coach and will train the squad to a higher standard than they are at now.

Conor Laferty is Sports sicence/coach................both these men are top notch and as the say this Generation football coaches.

David McCague is Selector/Maor Forine............Sharpe man,well got with the players.

Stats men are All Ireland winners

And Banty,old school,blinded by pure passion for the job who rubs people up the wrong way,including me...........but will give everything to this job and thats all we can ask.

He's in a no win situation............if this goes well,all the credit will go to Peter Donnelly.............if this goes bad then its all Bantys fault............thats what you's will all say.

Remember,who was Malachy O'Rourke before he was asked to Manage Monaghan???

He was a selector with Latton in 2012 !!!!

And we all know how that turned out...........

Give this set up a chance.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1353 - 08/09/2019 22:36:28    2233686

Link

Yes, I agree. Time to stop the Banty bashing now and for a little more positivity on here. Give them a chance FFS.

Banty has assembled the best ticket available at this time and as supporters we now need to get behind him and the team. It was certainly time for change with the Monaghan set up and hopefully Banty and his team will bring back some passion and also improve our forward play and scoring return which has been disappointing in recent years.

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 09/09/2019 08:59:14    2233732

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "More miss information from supporters leading to all sorts of crap been said regarding the management set up...........plus the whole social media abuse of Banty is disgusting,and makes us look like a right shower of you know whats........

Easy know none of thoses people were around Monaghan football in the late 90's until 2005 to see the strides we made and the change in culture around the County squad.......

Before Banty came in we had a division 4 team who couldnt wait to go on the beer on an away match.......2 years later we were leading Kerry by a point with 2 minutes left in an All Ireland Quarter Final (and to this day was the best Monaghan football performance in Croke Park).

Peter Donnelly is S&C coach and will train the squad to a higher standard than they are at now.

Conor Laferty is Sports sicence/coach................both these men are top notch and as the say this Generation football coaches.

David McCague is Selector/Maor Forine............Sharpe man,well got with the players.

And Banty,old school,blinded by pure passion for the job who rubs people up the wrong way,including me...........but will give everything to this job and thats all we can ask.

He's in a no win situation............if this goes well,all the credit will go to Peter Donnelly.............if this goes bad then its all Bantys fault............thats what you's will all say.

Give this set up a chance."
There was me thinking MOR took Tyholland up senior for the first time ever, won the Derry and Ulster club titles with underdogs the Loup, won senior county titles with Cavan Gaels and Errigal Chiaran, took Fermanagh to their first Ulster final in decades. League and Ulster titles with Monaghan. And you can be sure he'll win again

Latton were lucky to get rid of him when they did

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 09/09/2019 15:58:43    2233890

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "More miss information from supporters leading to all sorts of crap been said regarding the management set up...........plus the whole social media abuse of Banty is disgusting,and makes us look like a right shower of you know whats........

Maybe you didn't know who he was, Hardcore, pretty sure anyone with reasonable football knowledge knew who he was!!

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 71 - 09/09/2019 19:45:41    2233947

Link

'85 draw with the best team of all time was Monaghan' s best ever performance at Croke Park.

PearseBro (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 09/09/2019 21:54:45    2233981

Link

You have out done yourself with gibberage and lack of knowledge this time. An M O'Rourke managed team would have buried cold Kerry in 07. As for your knowledge of Malachy's other achievements,well you obviously don't have any. So just you carry on with your Trump like adoration of yesterday"s man Banty and stop whining at the more knowledgeable fans who see this appointment for what it is. This a forum not the Monaghan dressing room.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 78 - 10/09/2019 10:42:39    2234061

Link