Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jim88:  "And here come the naysayers.we should be glad a manager of bantys calibre wants the job and row in behind him and the lads for 2020 with less of the negativity from the social media trolls.banty puts his heart and soul into everything that breathes Monaghan football.rough year with the u20s this year but any other team in Monaghan he's been with he has brought a lot of success and no shortage of passion.."
Heart & soul won't win anything. This is an absolute joke. An absolute embarrassment. And the greatest insult to the lads who TRULY have put their hearts & souls into their county. Their commitment obviously meant nothing.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 673 - 31/08/2019 10:07:27    2230921

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "Heart & soul won't win anything. This is an absolute joke. An absolute embarrassment. And the greatest insult to the lads who TRULY have put their hearts & souls into their county. Their commitment obviously meant nothing."
Ah now. Bit of an overreaction. I know Banty is like marmite for many Monaghan fans, but you cannot question that he turned things around when he took over in the noughties.

He isn't the worst appointment and he has a top team behind him.

Not my first choice, but im reasonably happy.

And I'm sorry but 'heart and soul' is exaclty what we need. In fact it is the most essential ingredient in any team or individual involved in sport. I would say it was one thing that was missing in 2019. If you dont realise that then you don't know much about sport.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1056 - 31/08/2019 10:18:33    2230925

Link

The predictable reaction never disappoints! When Monaghan won Ulster the call of - "don't forget the great work done by Banty" rang out from the top of every drumlin! Now the "I won't go to a game" snowflakes wish to voice their condemnation! It's happening - toughen up. Take off the blinkers and less of the hysteria - it's the same team as last year!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 311 - 31/08/2019 10:26:58    2230928

Link

Face the facts we are not good enough, McCarthy, Carey, McCarron, ward, are not in same bracket of either the donegal, Tyrone or mayo forwards. I haven't even mentioned Dublin or Kerry. We rely on score from our keeper and mansy. We might raise our preformance to beat a Tyrone on our day but our short comings are there to be seen against a fermanagh, down or longford. Does matter who's over Monaghan. Banty will probably squeeze the last out of the Hughes, McManus and whyles before they retire.

latefortraining (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 31/08/2019 10:27:22    2230930

Link

Replying To jim88:  "And here come the naysayers.we should be glad a manager of bantys calibre wants the job and row in behind him and the lads for 2020 with less of the negativity from the social media trolls.banty puts his heart and soul into everything that breathes Monaghan football.rough year with the u20s this year but any other team in Monaghan he's been with he has brought a lot of success and no shortage of passion.."
I'll be rowing behind the team but not behind him. And the first time he tries to get the crowd going with his ludicrous histrionics he'll be told on no uncertain terms to keep his eye on the game like every other manager is doing. Failed in Monaghan, failed in Meath and failed in Wexford. And now we have the most competitive Div One for years followed by the most competitive Ulster championship since the early 90's. You can try this call to arms guff all you like. I'm not biting.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 31/08/2019 10:34:05    2230931

Link

A disgrace , anyone with a brain wiould b

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 118 - 31/08/2019 11:12:33    2230943

Link

It's true the game evolved past banty long ago. This is also true for malachy...

Maybe we're at the stage now where brains behind the face is more important and banty will bring in some motivation and self belief to the lads that need it. I donno, I'm not thrilled with the appointment but he might bring something.

With regards to lads stepping down - good riddance. Id walk barefoot over broken glass in cootehill if it gave me a sniff of a chance to represent me County...

The team needs a bit of thinning out anyway but this should have happened two years ago

Was banty a good appointment? Probably not. Will I go to every game next year? abso-effin-lutely

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 77 - 31/08/2019 11:15:03    2230944

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "Heart & soul won't win anything. This is an absolute joke. An absolute embarrassment. And the greatest insult to the lads who TRULY have put their hearts & souls into their county. Their commitment obviously meant nothing."
Some off the posters on here is a disgrace the way yous are acting plus I would go as far to say yous are only the big day supporters banty took monaghan out off the dark times in monaghan gaa yes he's done strange things in the past but at the end off the day he and his backroom team was the best pick for the role . So please cop on and get behide all and if the players are happy that is the main thing

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 157 - 31/08/2019 11:21:22    2230946

Link

I think all this negative comments is everything that is wrong with social media, the co board had a meeting with a selection of senior players and they 100% wanted Banty to manage them! Banty has managed 100's of players from Co Monaghan over his managerial career and I have heard very little complaints about him. I agree it's 9 years since he managed Monaghan and I don't always agree with his management style, but he brought Monaghan from bottom 6/8 to the top 6/8 in Ireland. This is a fact that can't be argued with! I think the best we can do is let him do his job and review his progress/failures after a year!

jakestevens81 (Monaghan) - Posts: 179 - 31/08/2019 11:22:55    2230947

Link

Certinley is an interesting appointment. In fairness he know the club football inside out. Good appointment re Donnelly, Monaghans s and c well behind this year. And to be fair, lavery brought flair to enniskillen mc rory team, their was an attacking plan something Monaghan didnt have this year. Who else would have got? Rochford was to far away, most people didn't want mc entee and mc Gleenan was to big of a risk

Here's hoping banty Dosent play the passion card and conjur up Any stunts.

222 (UK) - Posts: 507 - 31/08/2019 15:38:56    2231001

Link

Replying To jakestevens81:  "I think all this negative comments is everything that is wrong with social media, the co board had a meeting with a selection of senior players and they 100% wanted Banty to manage them! Banty has managed 100's of players from Co Monaghan over his managerial career and I have heard very little complaints about him. I agree it's 9 years since he managed Monaghan and I don't always agree with his management style, but he brought Monaghan from bottom 6/8 to the top 6/8 in Ireland. This is a fact that can't be argued with! I think the best we can do is let him do his job and review his progress/failures after a year!"
Couldn't agree more with your opening line. Thankfully our players aren't so delicate

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 311 - 31/08/2019 17:28:21    2231026

Link

Leaving personal opinions aside, which no doubt many here will be forced to do, I believe this appointment to be a mistake and won't cow out from saying why.

Many on here have cited that Banty took us out of the doldrums back in the 00s, while there may be some truth in that, it has to be said that that squad (just like Cork today) with the 2 Freeman's, Woods Finlay etc should never have been there in the first place. Previous ineptitude was the cause of that.

When we did get to where we belonged then and had a chance to win Ulster titles or beat Kerry, it was the management on the line that froze when needed most. This manager. We also hadn't a great reputation back then.

Meath were bottom of Div 2, Wexford in Div 4 but he never progressed them, why? Because they didn't have the stuff, the huff and puff management was soon exposed by the lack of quality it hides behind. That brings us back to our current squad. They don't need taking up the league's etc, they are already in the top 8 based on an over reliance on Mc Manus. Given that he has only a couple of years left at the top level the time for this squad is now, or develop new talent around him. those are the two options. If Banty goes for the first option (his ego will drive that on given he has won nothing at this level) he will have to be get it right on the line at the highest level. We also need to develop an attack minded approach around the squad to compete with the top 4

I fear this ego trip will set us back in terms of developing squad and strategy, we are used to being in Div 1 and I have no doubt he will keep us there, but when the big day comes, and I hope it does, it will all come down to one man on the line

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 31/08/2019 18:21:55    2231037

Link

Replying To 222:  "Certinley is an interesting appointment. In fairness he know the club football inside out. Good appointment re Donnelly, Monaghans s and c well behind this year. And to be fair, lavery brought flair to enniskillen mc rory team, their was an attacking plan something Monaghan didnt have this year. Who else would have got? Rochford was to far away, most people didn't want mc entee and mc Gleenan was to big of a risk

Here's hoping banty Dosent play the passion card and conjur up Any stunts."
In other words, here's hoping Banty changes the habits of a lifetime and stops the stunts. Good luck with that.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 31/08/2019 19:09:48    2231045

Link

In years to come we will look back at the malachy o rourke years as a golden era for monaghan football which we were lucky to have. Doubtful this county board would hire an o rourke now as in a proven successful inter county manager as this appointment just goes to show what a small time mentality they really have. Back to the moral victories and celebrating division 2 league titles like they were all Irelands. The pantomime act is back. Fair play to Banty he obviously knew the right buttons to press with the suits certainly always had that in his locker will give him at least that.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 01/09/2019 07:16:56    2231110

Link

It would be interesting now to look back at some of the posters which greeted Malachys appointment. I can remember some of them saying the CB had appointed the wrong O'Rourke and should have gone for Aidan O'Rourke -a proven winner.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 01/09/2019 10:19:04    2231122

Link

First thing to say is that it was a group of committed players- led by the Latton man- who pushed the CB to appoint MOR. Doubtful they would have made that call themselves at the time. But now, left to their own devices they come up with Banty version 2.0

Much has been said about his achievements the last time out, as evidence of his suitability for the job now. To be fair, those should be acknowledged. He lost 2 ulsters, lost a QF in 2007 and won a Div 3 league equivalent in 05. (48 other teams have managed to lose quarter finals since.)

But it would be wrong to judge a managers record solely on the trophy haul. There were many memorable moments along the way that should be recognised. In no particular order, my favourites were:
Playing McManus as a wing back

Allowing a very young Colin Walshe to get roasted in 2010 Ulster final

Losing a qualifier to wexford scoring 6 points in total

Pushing for the the 2010 qualifier against Kildare to be played in Croke Park and then collapsing on the pitch

Getting caught cold by Fermanagh in 08

Getting relegated twice

Freezing on the line for the last 10 mins against Kerry in 07- taking off d mone, moving gollogly off t o se, taking in paul meegan

Turning a Div3 title into a homecoming festival in the Fiddlers

Bringing Kerry and Cork to Scotstown for league matches and losing every time. Then getting whipped in pairc ui rinn

Decluttering Cloghan by moving the gym equipment to Dunganny for storage

Humiliating a young goalkeeper

All part of the experience. Here we go again

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 01/09/2019 11:16:37    2231130

Link

Excellent post Eddie. Anyone welcoming Bantys return has a short memory.

You could also add to that list Using the well known tactic of filling the opposition dressing room with cones and clutter, against Tyrone in the ulster final. Not childish at all, and worked well. Oh, wait.

Celebrating not getting relegated against Kerry like we had won the All Ireland.

In MOR, we had a manager who was honest, hardworking, and was devoid of any sort of BS and hype. Whereas now....

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 350 - 01/09/2019 13:14:14    2231157

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "First thing to say is that it was a group of committed players- led by the Latton man- who pushed the CB to appoint MOR. Doubtful they would have made that call themselves at the time. But now, left to their own devices they come up with Banty version 2.0

Much has been said about his achievements the last time out, as evidence of his suitability for the job now. To be fair, those should be acknowledged. He lost 2 ulsters, lost a QF in 2007 and won a Div 3 league equivalent in 05. (48 other teams have managed to lose quarter finals since.)

But it would be wrong to judge a managers record solely on the trophy haul. There were many memorable moments along the way that should be recognised. In no particular order, my favourites were:

Pushing for the the 2010 qualifier against Kildare to be played in Croke Park and then collapsing on the pitch

Getting relegated twice

Freezing on the line for the last 10 mins against Kerry in 07- taking off d mone, moving gollogly off t o se, taking in paul meegan

Bringing Kerry and Cork to Scotstown for league matches and losing every time. Then getting whipped in pairc ui rinn

All part of the experience. Here we go again"
Taking Woods off ( who was bullying the Kerry lads around the middle third) ended our chances of victory that day.

I wonder how Mc Manus really feels ending his career on a complete gamble. Did the CB never hear of the term "head hunting" in order to get the best person to best fill a vacancy. Anyway it is what it is now

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 01/09/2019 13:21:27    2231160

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "First thing to say is that it was a group of committed players- led by the Latton man- who pushed the CB to appoint MOR. Doubtful they would have made that call themselves at the time. But now, left to their own devices they come up with Banty version 2.0

Getting relegated twice

All part of the experience. Here we go again"
That's all well and good about his record. And i don't disagree completely. But it took a certain type of character to take us from a team that couldn't compete with anyone to one that coukd compete with the best and were unlucky to come up short on a number of occasions. Its important to remain balanced and Banty does deserve credit for that, despite some of the shortcomings outlined.

Yes his record has a lot of blemishes, there is no doubt about it. But he has taken some scalps against the odds down through the years. He knows the scene in Monaghan and if he uses that to blood some good talent over next 2 years id take that as a big plus. It was the repeated argument against past management set up that new players were not being brought on.

Bottom line is that he is in place now, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's give the players the support they deserve.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1056 - 01/09/2019 13:46:42    2231163

Link

Replying To supermon:  "That's all well and good about his record. And i don't disagree completely. But it took a certain type of character to take us from a team that couldn't compete with anyone to one that coukd compete with the best and were unlucky to come up short on a number of occasions. Its important to remain balanced and Banty does deserve credit for that, despite some of the shortcomings outlined.

Yes his record has a lot of blemishes, there is no doubt about it. But he has taken some scalps against the odds down through the years. He knows the scene in Monaghan and if he uses that to blood some good talent over next 2 years id take that as a big plus. It was the repeated argument against past management set up that new players were not being brought on.

Bottom line is that he is in place now, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's give the players the support they deserve."
The question remains, has he learned from all these failed stunts? I'll always support the Monaghan team but Banty isn't coming in with a clean slate. As far as I'm concerned, he's on probation. And he needs to earn back our trust. This is the man who delivered one of the great days in Monaghan football, the qualifier in Omagh v Donegal. But in the following 3 years he made a lot of needless mistakes, some bordering on stupid. And towards the end it came a pantomime of ego and self serving. I still think that his reading of a game while it's in progress is as bad as I've ever seen. He froze in 07 v Kerry and v Tyrone in 10. Maybe his backroom team can cover that weakness but Banty had a team which pound for pound was in better shape than the current squad and he never delivered an Ulster title. My big fear is that he's going to go all out to stay in Div One this year instead of minding some of our older players and having them fresh for Ulster Championship. We won an Ulster from Div 3 in 2013 and Donegal won from Div 2 in 2018. The likes of Meath need Div One football, we don't.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 01/09/2019 14:50:24    2231179

Link