Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheTruagh(t):  "In the wrong appointment in 2010, are you saying Eamon McEneaney was wrong? In fairness let's remember the team he inherited. Wrecked, in bad need a of and had to get remedial work. Players not fit to play after the previous term. So Eamon was dealt a bad hand, and got the graveyard shift with the team he had. Then of course the Meath set up benefitted from the the excellent training and rehabilitation donation, of equipment brought with their new management and back room team, to Monaghans loss. Consider the total public humiliation of the Ballybay keeper and we soon see what lies ahead. It seems that only the first 20 players will be used from the McKenna Cup right through to the Championship, so if your not in that group you may as well pack your bags and go home. Eamon's fault was probably that he couldn't leave his teachers hat behind, like most of them in that profession. I really thought this group of officers on the County Board were progressive thinkers, alas it seems not."
Yes, Eamon McEnaney was a complete disaster. The year before he took over we got to an Ulster final, the year after he left we won Ulster. He was directly responsible for allowing Benny Coulter to single handily beat us in 2012 semi final, a day when the ref gave us everything. Drew Wylie was the best defender in the county in 2012 and yet he got 30 minutes in the league. He was a poor manager the first time he took over in the 90's and he was worse the 2nd time.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 28/08/2019 08:19:06    2230005

Link

As stated Eamonn McEnaney's second coming wasn't a success. But what examples are there of a second stint being a success??
Liam Sheedy is the big success one at the moment. Jack O'Connor is another who made a successful return to the hot seat. I suppose Declan Bonner can be counted also landing 2 ulster titles for Donegal upon his return
Could Banty do the same?

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 306 - 28/08/2019 11:00:21    2230046

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "As stated Eamonn McEnaney's second coming wasn't a success. But what examples are there of a second stint being a success??
Liam Sheedy is the big success one at the moment. Jack O'Connor is another who made a successful return to the hot seat. I suppose Declan Bonner can be counted also landing 2 ulster titles for Donegal upon his return
Could Banty do the same?"
There are very few examples of second comings working well. But the few that did were actually a success the first time, not an abject failure like Eamon McEnaney was. Banty falls into this category too. He under achieved with the players and resources at his disposal. Also let's not forget the pathetic shenanigans that Banty pulled out to try to cling onto his job after 2010. The Ulster Final,where he was completely out thought by Mickey Harte was passed off as a bad 35 minutes. We lost first half by 4 and second by 6! Which was the bad 35? Here's the bottom line, I don't think Banty is the best option for Monaghan football.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 28/08/2019 11:38:09    2230063

Link

Not going to comment on Banty as all been said above about his suitability and record over last 10 years. He is yesterdays man and even then he was behind the kerb on the big with a great group of players. What needs to be mentioned is the county board and their lack of ambition towards a group of players who were 1 kick of a ball from an all ireland final 12 mths ago. You see a lot of instances in GAA and indeed in other sports where guys in suits administrators etc will claim to be doing a great job as they are hiding behind a successful group of players and mgmt. Only when a manager decides to go and the lads in suits have to manage the transition properly and get right appointment in place they are exposed for being unable to do that and shown up for the useless shower they actually were all along but managed to hide this in the good times. Usually in this scenario the easy cheapest option is taken which seems to be what is happening here. There is zero recognition being given to the strides made under malachy consistently div 1 team last 8 championship bar this summer and the county board are approaching this process like we are a Carlow or Leitrim. To me if what am reading on these pages is true then the selection process has turned into a complete joke and has been v badly handled. Hard to see a lot of our more established players being bothered with this nonsence next year not to mention supporters spending hard money following it.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1403 - 28/08/2019 12:55:57    2230105

Link

Beyond belief if the rumours are true!!! Im gutted for Monaghan football back to the BS - his morals ., behaviour and attitude is take take take no matter who gets in the way! It will be all about BANTY!!! No skill no knowledge how many attempts does he need!! Are the county board BLIND!!!!

cmxu (Monaghan) - Posts: 22 - 28/08/2019 13:14:53    2230116

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Yes, Eamon McEnaney was a complete disaster. The year before he took over we got to an Ulster final, the year after he left we won Ulster. He was directly responsible for allowing Benny Coulter to single handily beat us in 2012 semi final, a day when the ref gave us everything. Drew Wylie was the best defender in the county in 2012 and yet he got 30 minutes in the league. He was a poor manager the first time he took over in the 90's and he was worse the 2nd time."
You are so true on that point
Coulter practically played on one leg after a fracture 4 weeks previous, he made the difference

222 (UK) - Posts: 508 - 28/08/2019 15:15:17    2230171

Link

Relax people. It is not happening. Senior players, and a retired a former captain I'm told , have made that clear to the county board. Monaghan football will do well to steer clear of that jamboree.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 28/08/2019 15:20:15    2230176

Link

I agree. It's not going to happen. It's just rumours being spread so that when an appointment is made then it will look good compared to what was thought that banty had the gig. Quite smart to mentally motivate the county and make us believe that we have done well to get another man but banty.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 28/08/2019 15:55:27    2230187

Link

I would like to help try to bring some calm to the little bit of hysteria which has been posted to create unrest and to divide the genuine Monaghan supporters.
The claim of the second coming is just mischief and lets not get sucked into these antics,agreeing with the Truagh T there is too much negativity surrounding some of the previous actions from that particular manager and his backroom teams.The County Board will have taken sounding right across the county.Neither they or the sponsors and most importantly the players would want to bring us backwards.
If my sources are correct we do not have to worry,what I have been told is that a stand out manager will be appointed.
This person has achieved everything in the game and is a proven winner.This is the correct choice to bring us to the next level,he also has lots of knowledge of the local game.
I for one will be excited to see our team having a former All-Ireland winning captain in charge.
Looking forward to more good days.

farneyhammer01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 22 - 28/08/2019 23:32:43    2230306

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Relax people. It is not happening. Senior players, and a retired a former captain I'm told , have made that clear to the county board. Monaghan football will do well to steer clear of that jamboree."
I back this up, i've been told similar.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 665 - 29/08/2019 03:02:46    2230317

Link

Well I dunno guys, I was told yesterday evening that Banty has it. He has assembled an extremely strong backroom team, which does indeed include Peter Donnelly. If any other manager was proposed along with the backroom team Banty has, it would be an absolute no brainer. McEntees issue is the weakness of his backroom team in comparison.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 29/08/2019 10:33:04    2230363

Link

Replying To farneyhammer01:  "I would like to help try to bring some calm to the little bit of hysteria which has been posted to create unrest and to divide the genuine Monaghan supporters.
The claim of the second coming is just mischief and lets not get sucked into these antics,agreeing with the Truagh T there is too much negativity surrounding some of the previous actions from that particular manager and his backroom teams.The County Board will have taken sounding right across the county.Neither they or the sponsors and most importantly the players would want to bring us backwards.
If my sources are correct we do not have to worry,what I have been told is that a stand out manager will be appointed.
This person has achieved everything in the game and is a proven winner.This is the correct choice to bring us to the next level,he also has lots of knowledge of the local game.
I for one will be excited to see our team having a former All-Ireland winning captain in charge.
Looking forward to more good days."
Would that be a former All-Ireland winning captain at Senior level ?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 718 - 29/08/2019 12:40:46    2230400

Link

Replying To farneyhammer01:  "I would like to help try to bring some calm to the little bit of hysteria which has been posted to create unrest and to divide the genuine Monaghan supporters.
Looking forward to more good days."
I've been saying it all along .........it's Dublin's first choice to replace Jim Gavin..........been told that by a reliable source.

I'm speculating that could be Mick Bohan, the very successful Dublin ladies manager, or former Dublin captain Dessie Farrell who managed Dublin to All-Ireland minor and under 21 All-Ireland titles !

Between the county board, senior players & pressure from sponsors we must AND WILL get the right guy...keep the faith ! It's a great opportunity for someone lined up to take over from Gavin !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 29/08/2019 13:41:03    2230411

Link

Replying To Farney:  "Would that be a former All-Ireland winning captain at Senior level ?"
It would indeed.

farneyhammer01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 22 - 29/08/2019 14:22:05    2230427

Link

Replying To farneyhammer01:  "It would indeed."
If it is going to be a former all ireland winning captain, when you look through the list of the last 20 years and bringing travelling and location(Kerry Cork) and Men still playing(Dublin Donegal) the list is very small.
Names such as Bryan Cullen, Brian Dooher,Peter Canavan, Kieran McGeeney & Graham Geraghty. The only name there that maybe would be involved would be Canavan & i know he is involved with Scotstown this year. But unless his backroom team is unreal i cant see it being him but you never know.
Would like to think that they would have it announced by now so as the management could attend as many games as possible to see what players/if any could step up and help the established players!

supernova (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 29/08/2019 15:41:19    2230457

Link

Is there any reason why Eoin Lennon isn't being discussed? Surely an Assistant manager is there to provide continuity? Who is favourite for Dublin job when it is available? Jason Sherlock! I don't know Eoin Lennon well but I know he's as straight as an arrow, has a real gra for Monaghan football and did a decent job with Latton in his one year with them. Respect from the players won't be an issue. I know he doesn't have much management experience but neither will Sherlock. I'd put him ahead of any other candidate.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 29/08/2019 17:21:51    2230490

Link

Replying To farneyhammer01:  "It would indeed."
At Senior County level? Just to be clear about it!

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 718 - 29/08/2019 22:56:26    2230553

Link

why does it have to be an all ireland winning captain? Although i said it before - id like to see an all ireland winning player or manager at least (someone whos been there and done that)

McEntee has done this with club and county. he's also successfully managed ireland's most successful club in recent times and he's been involved in mayo who are obviously very ambitious...

Just get him announced CB so we can move on. its championship season and county management needs to be established.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 30/08/2019 08:16:57    2230586

Link

The reality is that despite all that has been written on this forum over last few months only one suitable candidate has emerged to take the job. There has been no interest from anyone other that the banty and mcentee camps. That tell you all you need to know about what kind of task is involved with taking on this Monaghan side. Pauric Duffy was given the role of finding and interviewing the candidates. A very capable man and institute enough to know what it takes. Mcentee despite what is written about his coaching pedigree does not come up to scratch. Conor lavery and Peter Donnelly however have held coaching roles with third level universities and several countries (Down, Cavan and Tyrone) and have had success . Despite the failures of Monaghan u20 last year Banty lets not forget took our minors to an all Ireland semi final. Hes the best option at this moment in time .

latefortraining (Monaghan) - Posts: 34 - 30/08/2019 12:33:07    2230665

Link

How would Donnelly combine his full time work with Ulster Rugby with Monaghan?. He left Tyrone to take up the position with Ulster.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1874 - 30/08/2019 13:30:58    2230679

Link