Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Who do people think should be our next manager?
I think the main attribute of the new management should be a degree more positivity than we had under Malachy.
So I would like to think that we would have the sense to avoid Jim McGuinness and although Stephen Rochford's name will be brought up, I think he will stay in Donegal.
Personally I think Colin Kelly from Louth would be an excellent choice.
Mayo turned its lonely eyes back to Horan this year. So is it time for Banty? His positivity and love for the job would be ideal. We have about a 2 year window before the sun sets on several of our over 30's careers, could he be the man to breath new life and get one last kick out of this team? But do his old failings of stunt pulling and acting the rat go against him? I suppose if it was the Banty of Omagh 07, I'd say bring it on. If it's the Banty of 2008/10, then you'd be better off with me in charge.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 386 - 24/06/2019 18:24:39    2200129

Link

Firstly massive thank you and all the very best wishes forever to Malachy and all his current and past back room people since 2013.
As for the next manager I agree that as Mal has tightened our defense and left a much better ship that he got when he took the job, then yes you are absolutely right that we need a manager with a wee bit more of an attack mindedness than we have now. We do have a few years left with majority of current crew, and for me Banty is not the man to do this.
I would like to see someone even from outside who has a wee bit of knowledge of Monaghan, such as Ciaran McBride from u 21 set up a few years ago.
I know also some people rate David Nelson highly when he was Latton manager.
Gabriel Bannigan has had a great run with a few clubs in Dublin senior club football.
Any other club imports in the last few years show promise in anyone's opinion?

theborderfox (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 24/06/2019 21:14:09    2200281

Link

There's an obvious choice!

TheTruagh(t) (Monaghan) - Posts: 11 - 24/06/2019 23:39:35    2200378

Link

Who is that the Truagh (t)?
Get the names up guys and we get a good chat going

theborderfox (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 25/06/2019 09:33:21    2200440

Link

People I heard mentioned so far are:
Jim McGuinness (very outside bet, he might be sticking with soccer though)
Tony McEntee (good bet)
Stephen Rochford (May not be tempted away from Donegal)
Banty (he would need a good coach alongside him)
Ciaran McBride (not high profile enough in my mind)

I think we should be using the Donegal approach, have a manager from within the county who knows the club scene very well and club politics and have a big name coach along side him who knows the tactics side and can just concentrate on coaching the team the right way to play.
We need a Coach who has either coached a winning all-Ireland team (Club or county) or got to All Ireland final at least.
A Kerry lad at work said to me yesterday that Kieran Donaghy was mentioned already as the performance coach .. he may be pulling my leg though. Galway hurling team haven't exactly done well this year though with him involved.!

SouthMonMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 68 - 25/06/2019 10:43:12    2200483

Link

Replying To SouthMonMan:  "People I heard mentioned so far are:
Jim McGuinness (very outside bet, he might be sticking with soccer though)
Tony McEntee (good bet)
Stephen Rochford (May not be tempted away from Donegal)
Banty (he would need a good coach alongside him)
Ciaran McBride (not high profile enough in my mind)

I think we should be using the Donegal approach, have a manager from within the county who knows the club scene very well and club politics and have a big name coach along side him who knows the tactics side and can just concentrate on coaching the team the right way to play.
We need a Coach who has either coached a winning all-Ireland team (Club or county) or got to All Ireland final at least.
A Kerry lad at work said to me yesterday that Kieran Donaghy was mentioned already as the performance coach .. he may be pulling my leg though. Galway hurling team haven't exactly done well this year though with him involved.!"
Tony McEntee looks "by far" the best option.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 25/06/2019 11:18:47    2200511

Link

He's the one always at Malachy's side, he's the one who meets the players coming off the pitch, is first onto the pitch to meet and greet officials, forever present in the dressing room, was the top coaching officer in Monaghan and is now a coaching assessor, has coached some top teams in Ulster, is head of PE in the premier school of football in Monaghan, has won awards for top fitness students, is a shining example in his role in the management of the County Board, and is very active in his new club, Emyvale, also he knows underage football from u14 up, and was probably groomed by Malachy, He narrowly missed out to Malachy at the last appointment, Gareth Coyle.

TheTruagh(t) (Monaghan) - Posts: 11 - 25/06/2019 11:33:56    2200519

Link

Replying To TheTruagh(t):  "He's the one always at Malachy's side, he's the one who meets the players coming off the pitch, is first onto the pitch to meet and greet officials, forever present in the dressing room, was the top coaching officer in Monaghan and is now a coaching assessor, has coached some top teams in Ulster, is head of PE in the premier school of football in Monaghan, has won awards for top fitness students, is a shining example in his role in the management of the County Board, and is very active in his new club, Emyvale, also he knows underage football from u14 up, and was probably groomed by Malachy, He narrowly missed out to Malachy at the last appointment, Gareth Coyle."
i have nothing against gareth coyle but surely we're looking for a new direction.

thats like the time bendict took over from john paul ii...brought nuthin lads

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 25/06/2019 13:22:17    2200587

Link

Replying To TheTruagh(t):  "He's the one always at Malachy's side, he's the one who meets the players coming off the pitch, is first onto the pitch to meet and greet officials, forever present in the dressing room, was the top coaching officer in Monaghan and is now a coaching assessor, has coached some top teams in Ulster, is head of PE in the premier school of football in Monaghan, has won awards for top fitness students, is a shining example in his role in the management of the County Board, and is very active in his new club, Emyvale, also he knows underage football from u14 up, and was probably groomed by Malachy, He narrowly missed out to Malachy at the last appointment, Gareth Coyle."
Should be working in TW menswear, serious man to hand out a coat..

footyfan1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 38 - 25/06/2019 14:23:44    2200628

Link

TheTruagh(t)
Id be really surprised if he is even envolved when the new managment team is announced
It seemd he was just a hanger on him and a few others

Banty
Tony McEntee
Declan Loughman
David McCague
Paul O Connor
Colin McAree
Martin Corey

Im sure some of the above names will be involved

A special word of thanks to Malachy O rourke ..He brought the good times back to Monaghan Football
He will be in demand from some other counties

fonzy (Monaghan) - Posts: 63 - 25/06/2019 14:34:51    2200639

Link

Replying To fonzy:  "TheTruagh(t)
Id be really surprised if he is even envolved when the new managment team is announced

Banty
Tony McEntee
Declan Loughman
David McCague
Paul O Connor
Colin McAree
Martin Corey

A special word of thanks to Malachy O rourke ..He brought the good times back to Monaghan Football
He will be in demand from some other counties"
Such a list above , probably mcEntee and Loughman would have an outside chance , the rest .. no chance ..we need a team that can make quick changes when needs be , no huddling after 20 minutes and then do nothing till the games near over,has no teachers pets and has the guts to whip any player off the field for under performing.. can use a panel of subs to the best of their ability.

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 118 - 25/06/2019 15:17:47    2200669

Link

Replying To fonzy:  "TheTruagh(t)

Banty
Tony McEntee
Declan Loughman
David McCague
Paul O Connor
Colin McAree
Martin Corey

He will be in demand from some other counties"
I'd say Meath will be making a phone call at the end of the season.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 386 - 25/06/2019 17:05:34    2200740

Link

With the successes that came our way since 2013, we are now considered to be one of the top teams in the country, something we weren't before he came over, we were a division 3 team, who were considered nearly men and didn't look to be going anywhere,

Now for the first time in a long time we are in the position to attract one of the top managers in the country because we are as aforementioned one of the top teams so lets use that to our advantage and make the right choice. I like the idea of a manager that stoneygrey mentioned that is quick to make changes and has no favourites which looked like Malachy's only downfall.

You could say When Mal took over in 2013 he wasn't as established or as well known as he is now, why not go for another similar type of manager? It comes back to what I said that in regards to using our reputation and youth successes to attract a big name,

Div 1 tough place to build a new team but relegation if it came to it isn't the end of the world, Done Donegal no harm to change it up, reassess and win 2 ulsters in a row, Cavan too found themselves in an Ulster final so isn't a complete setback

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 665 - 25/06/2019 20:30:19    2200867

Link

Iv no clue who will be in line for the job but i do think if Vinny does hang the boots up id love to see him as part of the back room team the man has more passion for the county than anyone i know . id say he is a great motivator at training and in the dressing room .

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 25/06/2019 20:37:26    2200876

Link

Do you think nudie hughes could have an advisory/backroom role to play.

mona (Monaghan) - Posts: 4 - 25/06/2019 22:05:03    2200943

Link

My anti Banty (intentional rhyming) rant didn't get past the admin so you can all only guess what it said. In short, he's passionate about Monaghan football but tactically is found wanting and has a habit of pulling stunts that backfire e.g Tyrone 2010 Ulster Final.

McGuinness will get mentioned no doubt but I wonder does he think that GAA management is beneath him now? Although taking the reigns with a good football team is probably exactly what he needs. Would his footballing philosophy be different or would the football be horrific to watch? But maybe he'd bring success so therein lies the dilemma. I heard whispers that Oisin McConville was briefly with the team this year, maybe that would be a good route to go.

There's still a kick left in this team yet and I think it's still a very attractive job . Anyone writing off this team is just lazy and going with the standard 'been to the well too many times'' nonsense. The way I see it we have three elite players , Beggan, R Wylie and McManus then seven or eight very good players and then a glut of lads who are either hard working, have alot of potential or are ''on their day guys''. That's alot to work with and I feel next season we should be looking to make the league final, win Ulster and give the Super 8 a big rattle. To hell with the rebuilding. If we start re-building now then we risk wasting alot of the current squads prime footballing years. Let's strike while the iron is hot because it won't be hot for much longer. We should be using a win now mentality.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 26/06/2019 01:01:17    2201023

Link

You forgot one main thing, he managed the county minors for a couple of years and didn't win a game.

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 133 - 26/06/2019 09:12:27    2201069

Link

Replying To Adler:  "My anti Banty (intentional rhyming) rant didn't get past the admin so you can all only guess what it said. In short, he's passionate about Monaghan football but tactically is found wanting and has a habit of pulling stunts that backfire e.g Tyrone 2010 Ulster Final.

McGuinness will get mentioned no doubt but I wonder does he think that GAA management is beneath him now? Although taking the reigns with a good football team is probably exactly what he needs. Would his footballing philosophy be different or would the football be horrific to watch? But maybe he'd bring success so therein lies the dilemma. I heard whispers that Oisin McConville was briefly with the team this year, maybe that would be a good route to go.

There's still a kick left in this team yet and I think it's still a very attractive job . Anyone writing off this team is just lazy and going with the standard 'been to the well too many times'' nonsense. The way I see it we have three elite players , Beggan, R Wylie and McManus then seven or eight very good players and then a glut of lads who are either hard working, have alot of potential or are ''on their day guys''. That's alot to work with and I feel next season we should be looking to make the league final, win Ulster and give the Super 8 a big rattle. To hell with the rebuilding. If we start re-building now then we risk wasting alot of the current squads prime footballing years. Let's strike while the iron is hot because it won't be hot for much longer. We should be using a win now mentality."
I agree with the above. I think there is a role for Banty there as its clear he is a good motivator but he is found wanting tactically. I would like to see them go for someone like Stephen Rochford and Damien Freeman.

I would also add (although it may be an early shout) that I think Kearns is elite. He has been brilliant.

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 148 - 26/06/2019 09:43:28    2201080

Link

Replying To Adler:  "My anti Banty (intentional rhyming) rant didn't get past the admin so you can all only guess what it said. In short, he's passionate about Monaghan football but tactically is found wanting and has a habit of pulling stunts that backfire e.g Tyrone 2010 Ulster Final.

There's still a kick left in this team yet and I think it's still a very attractive job . Anyone writing off this team is just lazy and going with the standard 'been to the well too many times'' nonsense. The way I see it we have three elite players , Beggan, R Wylie and McManus then seven or eight very good players and then a glut of lads who are either hard working, have alot of potential or are ''on their day guys''. That's alot to work with and I feel next season we should be looking to make the league final, win Ulster and give the Super 8 a big rattle. To hell with the rebuilding. If we start re-building now then we risk wasting alot of the current squads prime footballing years. Let's strike while the iron is hot because it won't be hot for much longer. We should be using a win now mentality."
Elite players means they would get into any other team in the country.. Barr mansy we have no others...R. Wylie had one of his most difficult years and beggans kickouts where found out to an extent..give N Kearns two more years and he may well just be in the elite bracket with fenton in midfield.everyone is jumping the gun writing us off we have the players to sight tight for a few more years but we cannot afford let men walk away Eg: Freeman Kerr and Gartland.. we haven't the pick to allow this

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 184 - 26/06/2019 14:34:51    2201270

Link

Played 11
Won 4
Drew 1
Lost 6
First round losses in 66% of seasons.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 687 - 26/06/2019 15:08:10    2201286

Link