Kildare Forum

New Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd hate to think that one of our legendary respected players take the job, not make a success of it and the same fans who personally abused JR have a go at them. At there were plenty of them. They don't deserve that kinda grief or crap. Difference with JR is they live in the county and have families in it.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 02/09/2015 16:45:04    1780791

Link

If it was a rookie, Ciaran Whelan over one of our own like Dermot would make absolutely zero sense.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 744 - 02/09/2015 16:47:11    1780794

Link

The feelings are running so high with in the county that the CB have to be seen to get the right man for the job, I would look no further than John Evans or Jack O'Connor I know J O'C has been appointed manager of the Kerry minor team but, - - - at the same time bring in Cian O'Neill, Brian Murphp, and if necessary Dermot Early.

Cian O'Neill would be as important to any manager as Michael Dempsey is to Brian Cody.

As for a rookie, didn't McGeeney come in as a rookie, the rest is history, he went back to his beloved Armagh as a seasoned campaigner but has failed to deliver.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 208 - 02/09/2015 18:02:44    1780841

Link

Did Ryan get personal abuse ? I'm not saying he didn't but I didn't see it. I certainly saw nothing as bad as what Crofton got in Newbridge after Louth hammered us in the qualifiers. That was the worst thing I've seen watching Kildare. Shameful stuff.

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 589 - 02/09/2015 20:19:30    1780902

Link

He did KildareKelly. The abuse he received on the Kildare fans facebook page was sickening. I'm referring to the language used and names he was called when being asked to vacate by a fair few kildare fans was vile. Sorry, I wouldn't even call them fans. What happend to Crofton was also disgusting.

In the last two years of Geezers reign I didn't agree with him being there or his decision making but not once would I have called him a P or a B or a W.

I'd love to see Dermot,Johnny or Roli taking the reigns at some stage. I firmly believe though that it's to early for them. The same fans who targeted Crofter and JR would only end up targeting them and they don't deserve that.

We all remember what happend with Stevie Staunton for example? It's a pretty similar situation. A poor enough quality player available and fans with unrealistic targets.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 02/09/2015 21:52:00    1780947

Link

Fans will hurl abuse at any manager who fails--fans are by and large a simple breed, they cheer when we win and bitch and moan when we lose--a small minority take defeat as a normal part of the game. A huge number of fans who watched Glen deliver glory to Kildare would not hesitate to hurl abuse in his direction as long they are part of a crowd and can't be identified. This won't change.

In the modern game, it is hard to see why a manager would take a job when there is so little chance of silverware. Dublin are a machine, Kildare beat them once every 15 years if we are lucky. Leinster seems miles off. Would someone like Glen be happy to come in and 'raise the standards in kildare' -maybe take us to Div 1 and have a few qualifier runs? Would he want this job with all the grief it comes with?

I'd say our next manager could be a guy who lives in Dublin and is looking to get into management with a view to landing a bigger job elsewhere down the line.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 03/09/2015 09:03:36    1780976

Link

Switec, if you follow your logic is there any point in Leinster counties appointing a new manager? Yet there is supposedly 5 people in for the Laois job and they are well behind us based on our win over them this year. Not every manager coming in expects to win Leinster and most accept that they will rely on performances in the league and qualifiers.
We have plenty of good players available and a few really good ones who may be back in the near future. We have the potential to be a good team who can aspire to win Leinster one day, Dublin are unlikely to be this strong always. Our slide in the last few years was in my opinion down to a poor manager who changed his tactics to often and certainly did not inspire confidence like McGeeney and Micko could. The retirement of All Stars like Earley, Doyle and Foley was also a factor.
Think the next mansger will be Glen and the really important selection will be his management team.
A lot to be said for realism Switec but it can be hard reading for some of us here some times.

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 03/09/2015 12:03:50    1781143

Link

It's all underpinned by the quality of players at manager's disposal and whether he can get them to play to full potential. We don't have a panel like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc so wouldn't be expecting miracles. If Glen gets the job yes there will be a bit of a good feel factor as he's one of our own. There may even be a bit of a bounce factor with results and in fairness you would expect this playing in Div 3. We have to get ourselves out of there first. I like Glen, he's whole hearted and that counts for a lot in my book. Jason Ryan was coming in on the back of McGeeney so that gun was always loaded. If it is Ryan I would welcome that decision but I would hope there would be strong background team put in place to support his efforts.

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 601 - 03/09/2015 12:23:17    1781166

Link

One of the reasons I'm not on facebook daytona....it's not as bad as being abused in person obviously but still ridiculous behaviour.

There's a huge difference between bitching/moaning and hurling abuse at a manager. The vast majority will have a moan after a loss and move swiftly on. That's life after all. I'd say the number involved in abuse is tiny. (I hope so anyway)

But look, this isn't a Kildare issue, it's a societal issue. The abuse the Meath keeper O'Rourke got afer the Westmeath game was shocking stuff too and I'd say it's the same in practically every county...

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 589 - 03/09/2015 12:46:47    1781190

Link

please tell me we wouldnt dare consider sheedy or o flaherty.

mickmoore (Kildare) - Posts: 326 - 03/09/2015 13:17:58    1781239

Link

Why would we think we are above them MIickmoore?

I think the question is, would they consider us!!

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 03/09/2015 18:15:03    1781576

Link

Hopefully they wouldn't.

mickmoore (Kildare) - Posts: 326 - 04/09/2015 12:42:30    1782003

Link

People saying that our expectations are too high......and therefore Roscommon is a more attractive job are deluded! They're far worse than us for the notions! They're also facing a tough year in Div 1. It's not a place to cut your teeth. I think any decent manager would fancy their chances of getting Kildare out of Div 3. Granted, some people might relish the challenge but my point is that I dint think the Roscommon job is that much more attractive. Also, I can see them going for Cake.

Why is anyone suggesting Dermot Earley? He's only gone off the panel 2 seasons so a lot of the lads were his ex-teammates. He's never even managed an under-10 team. He's busy with the GPA. His job requires him to spend at least 6 months overseas at a time and he's never even mentioned being a manager!

McStay has won a club All-Ireland. Cian O'Neill has seen up close what it takes to win All-Ireland's. I dunno how Jack O'Connor got dragged into this since he's shown no desire to leave Kerry but obviously he knows about winning at the top level too. We'd be lucky to get any of those guys.

But whoever we get there's something the county has to accept; Money is not the devil. The abuse McGeeney STILL gets for his perceived spending is a joke. How much do you think the Dubs and Kerry spend? If you think we'll ever narrow the gap without spending similar amounts you're dreaming.

Count_Awesome (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 05/09/2015 11:39:34    1782661

Link

Forget mcstay hes gone to roscommon

mat (Mayo) - Posts: 180 - 07/09/2015 11:53:58    1783855

Link

I read recently in the nationalist that the Kerry senior football team get roughly €800,000 to spend a year while the Kildare team get €300,000. It's very hard to compete at that level and with the so called big guns, football is evolving and finance is becoming more and more important each year. With that sort of money teams can use dieticians, physio's etc to get push ahead of the chasing pack. Unfortunately we dont have these riches available and to attract a high profile manager would be extremly difficult.

ShortGrass_1 (Kildare) - Posts: 223 - 10/09/2015 12:38:48    1785584

Link

Sure the Dubs were going to spend 6 million on the site atthe Apa well until the builders tapped NAMA. Thats just a South Dublin centre of excellence.Kerry are unique in also having backers but a more captive audience and concentrated pool of players. Along with most counties , the gap in finances is way too much so we need to focus on the quality of nurseries in the county ,coming out od the club.I have been trying to get foundation coaching sorted for a few of my parent helper but dont get an email back, Until this is sorted, nothing will change.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 10/09/2015 18:20:21    1785784

Link

no real talk of money in the 70s, 80s and 90s- during which time Kerry and Dublin still produced better players than Kildare!

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 11/09/2015 08:17:15    1785868

Link

Lads we're a division 3 team, apart from the micko era and maybe a little bit under geezer did we ever comepte with these teams. Sorry if it comes across as a somewhat defeatist attitude but we have to get real, we are miles behind the Kerry's & Dublin's of this world, as are just about every other county with the exception of Mayo, Tyrone and maybe Donegal. We just don't possess enough quality

ShortGrass_1 (Kildare) - Posts: 223 - 11/09/2015 15:31:45    1786143

Link

Swintec they have progressed in attitude an approach.Money helps them or provides he environment for them to produce the best.Both are miles ahead of the rest.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 11/09/2015 19:13:47    1786237

Link

I see Joe Brolly has had his say on who he thinks should take over. He has a point in fairness. https://www.facebook.com/paddy.ward.7/posts/852562701459513

razor99 (Mayo) - Posts: 186 - 12/09/2015 09:04:11    1786286

Link